Things to Avoid

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Can't remember if this was said yet, but another thing to avoid is back seat windows that don't fully go down.
I definitely mentioned it. But, please let SM keep hearing it from us. It drives my kids crazy. It drives me crazy. Maybe it’s my kids driving me crazy because they are going crazy about the window not going all the way down. 🤔. Oh, and my dog doesn’t like it either!

I have come to have an acute personal hatred of soy based insulation. I have lost the wiring harness in a tractor, a good deal of damage in a side by side - and 4 sets of antenna coax (even after putting rat proof shielding on them). I am in my mid 50's - and all of this was in the last 4 years.

One slight personal dislike - abet I understand why they did it... I have adaptive cruise control on my truck. Great - till mud gets on the sensor. Even if I turn adaptive cruise control off - it disables normal cruise control as well. Months go by that my cruise control is disabled.

As a small driver: I would like to request that the dash doesn’t hit my knees when the seat is fully forward. I would also like to request an airbag option. Having an airbag hit me would cause great injury because of my size and how close I am to the steering wheel. My friend who is my size had brain damage because of a fender bender. I’m 4’10 so I would love the option of turning them off when I’m driving. I’m sure I’m speaking for many other smaller individuals as well!
Another consideration for short drivers (both my wife and son are in the 5-2 range) is to have the seat rise high enough to give them a sightline over the steering wheel and minimize the blind area in front of the hood. My '23 Tundra is better over-the-hood vision than most large pickups we tested, but thankfully the forward facing camera shows on the dash screen when below 10mph.

Reactions: clearcoatben
I have come to have an acute personal hatred of soy based insulation. I have lost the wiring harness in a tractor, a good deal of damage in a side by side - and 4 sets of antenna coax (even after putting rat proof shielding on them). I am in my mid 50's - and all of this was in the last 4 years.

One slight personal dislike - abet I understand why they did it... I have adaptive cruise control on my truck. Great - till mud gets on the sensor. Even if I turn adaptive cruise control off - it disables normal cruise control as well. Months go by that my cruise control is disabled.
I'm not a farmer, but I live in the mountains. I have a Tundra and RAV4. Chipmunks ate a hole in the gas tank input pipe, just stood on the springs and chewed away. Rodents took all the insulation off the firewall of the RAV4 and built nests in the fuseblock cover and in the heater intake ducts. In the Tundra they filled the heater with so much insulation that the fans couldn't turn. Taking that apart means disassembling the entire dash ($2000) plus parts -- they chewed up the plastic holders for the cabin air filters and surrounding parts. So my message to SM is to rodent proof just as much as IH Scout should have salt proofed. Block the air entry points with 1/4" mesh just like the Scout 80s did.

This weekend my wife’s x5 45e (plug in hybrid) died/bricked on a parking lift. Long story short the 12v battery, not the big lithium hybrid battery died. When that happens every thing dies including the power tailgate that lacks a manual release. The 52lb group 94 R battery resides in the floor under the cargo area. My son and I climbed over the seats opened the floor from the inside and changed the battery. Scout….avoid this. Please make a manual release for the doors and gate. As many EVs also have a 12v battery I assume Scout will too. Make it easy to get to.

I would prefer a 6' bed. Short bed is not killing me on the R1T, but it ain't great when you need to haul and need to have the tailgate up and tonneau closed. With the tailgate down, it is beg enough and extends nicely on a gooseneck hinge.

Reactions: Harris005
This one might be a hard one - but I hope they don't make it with a 250 mile range. I know Scout will be trying to hit a price point. I know they are trying (and all but absolutely need) to make this a lifestyle vehicle. But that lifestyle vehicle will probably not be all that aerodynamic or efficient. Trying to shove enough batteries into it to get a mid 300 mile range and maintain a price point will be a challenge. But a 350 mile range will be a lot better received than a 250 mile range.

Waiting for the next generation of battery tech probably is not an answer. Putting 2k lbs of battery would kill offroad performance (and the budget). I really don't know the answer - but I had been hoping to get a Buzz till I saw it's range. The majority of my trips are 90-120 miles one way. Starting off the day knowing you will need a charge to get home is just depressing. If it is Tesla Supercharger compatible - it would not be impossible (I already checked charger locations). But it is still depressing. Add to that, my second most common trip will be right at 240 miles (each way). I already have a charger at the end of that - but that is no room for poor mileage. So I am looking at 3 charges to do that trip (2 stops and an overnight). It might be impossible without the overnight - which is a problem because I often do turn around trips (one leg between superchargers is 180 miles). If I want to carry a kayak, it just might be the straw that kills the battery's back.

• Scout has not published a range, nor have they done EPA tests
  • Battery tech is moving fast, new BMS systems and SW updates are making advancements
  • US Nat'l Average 1-way commuter distance is only 20.5 miles (41 miles roundtrip!)
  • I would be very surprised if the Scout's battery weighed-in at 2K lbs
Your decision around personal usage is valid, so at the time real-word numbers are published and likely new infrastructure is added, you can make a more informed decision. If I were constantly towing a big trailer long distances, for example, I would NEVER get an EV. If I were towing short distances (which I do, to a boat ramp) and EV would make tremendous sense! It's an awesome tow vehicle. Everyone will have different needs and requirements, but the ones you are describing (being at the edge of range for today's battery packs), carrying kayaks (assuming you meant over the roof, in an un-aerodynamic position), doing immediate turn-arounds after long distances - those are all edge cases.

One thing I have noted on long trips (Northeast to Mid-Atlantic multiple times) is that you are ready for a break typically, when the battery needs a charge. You do have to be more planful, and it helps to plan around restroom/meal stops to charge, and that does require forethought. Hopefully, this all continues to get more seamless.

Two Things

No Buttons or Gauges - I personally can't stand the interior of Teslas. I understand that lack of physical things cuts down on costs and can lead to greater customization (since its all digital) but I think we sacrifice tactile feel and feedback and can also make our eyes wander from the road. E.g. I think its OK to be opinionated about how a HVAC system should work. The interiors of certain cars, like Audi and Volvo, are really well designed and include buttons. Although I don't love the single turn wheel in the center console on some of them, but maybe I just haven't used it enough. The Rivian at least has the driving data behind the steering wheel (I'd say that's where it *should* be except for my Jeep has it center stack. :) )

Lack of customization - For things that ARE digital, we should be able to customize much of it and be able to revert to factory settings JUST for that specific settings or subsettings easily (i.e. don't have to reset the entire system). This includes mostly the entertainment system, but things like delay before turning off a courtesy lights or time to warm up in the morning should be programmable.

I assume off the bat you mean being able to pull up an analog set of gauges rather than all digital
To my mind (and eyes especially) analog gauges are preferable. It's o.k. if the information is presented on a screen, it is the format of seeing a needle and a certain angle that gives instant feedback. Ideally I'd prefer a combination of both. It always struck me as odd that many vehicles had a gauge labelled "AMP" but actually showed voltage, but that aside it is easier for me to glance at the meter display and note that when the needle is slightly to the right of vertical it's o.k. If I see just a number (say 13.4) I need to recall what the permisable range is 10-14.5 or 11-13 or 9-15 or ???. When you get the results of bloodwork from your doctor, the printout always shows the established limits and even gives you an H or L for each item; that's because we have no hope of remembering any of them. So back to my point, I can glance at a bunch of analog needles and see that they are all at their accustomed angles, but to glance at a screen full of digital numbers, requires my eye to stop and read and my brain to analyse each one.

I'm o.k. that actual physical analog meters are going to be replaced by a screen because with the screen acreage currently available the displays can provide a combined graphic, with the analog image above and the numerical reading as a subscript below.

Years ago in my early science and engineering days I was aware that MIT had a program/lab that focused on such human interfaces with the the technologies that we use; if they still exist I'd bet they would have investigated analog vs. digital comprehension. Perhaps SM should ask MIT about that.

I believe a few years before that, when I was shuffling IBM cards to create a calendar I was impressed by those that could sit at a terminal in the nascent computer lab at PSU who could, without notes, type in commands with results and nary a card in sight. I was still learning Fortran 4 with WATFIV and they were on to the next language.

And today the phone I am responding on (and even my Bronco) has more computing power and memory than my first desktop

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn
I believe a few years before that, when I was shuffling IBM cards to create a calendar I was impressed by those that could sit at a terminal in the nascent computer lab at PSU who could, without notes, type in commands with results and nary a card in sight. I was still learning Fortran 4 with WATFIV and they were on to the next language.

And today the phone I am responding on (and even my Bronco) has more computing power and memory than my first desktop
WE ARE….

I'm not a farmer, but I live in the mountains. I have a Tundra and RAV4. Chipmunks ate a hole in the gas tank input pipe, just stood on the springs and chewed away. Rodents took all the insulation off the firewall of the RAV4 and built nests in the fuseblock cover and in the heater intake ducts. In the Tundra they filled the heater with so much insulation that the fans couldn't turn. Taking that apart means disassembling the entire dash ($2000) plus parts -- they chewed up the plastic holders for the cabin air filters and surrounding parts. So my message to SM is to rodent proof just as much as IH Scout should have salt proofed. Block the air entry points with 1/4" mesh just like the Scout 80s did.
You want even tighter than 1/4" mesh to keep rats out as well. I had to do this on the snorkel and the hvac inlet on my car because the Detroit suburbs are lousy with rats.

Reactions: oldgeeksguide
In S. Texas, I am lucky. Tesla has put in a good supercharger network (thanks to Tesla and Austin). I have superchargers in all 4 compass points - but sadly none at any diagonals... If I don't go North/South or East West - I will have to detour to stay on their corridors. My Jeep gets about 160 miles per tank, and it is somewhat annoying on road trips, but not that bad - just have to pay attention more than my other vehicles that all do over 400 miles per tank. Charging will be harder - as gas stations are a LOT more common than superchargers.

But honestly, I have already noted most of my trips end up with me getting gas at stations that have superchargers - all but this weeks trip to watch Starship's third launch. That one would have been harder.

Reactions: J Alynn
Two Things

No Buttons or Gauges - I personally can't stand the interior of Teslas. I understand that lack of physical things cuts down on costs and can lead to greater customization (since its all digital) but I think we sacrifice tactile feel and feedback and can also make our eyes wander from the road. E.g. I think its OK to be opinionated about how a HVAC system should work. The interiors of certain cars, like Audi and Volvo, are really well designed and include buttons. Although I don't love the single turn wheel in the center console on some of them, but maybe I just haven't used it enough. The Rivian at least has the driving data behind the steering wheel (I'd say that's where it *should* be except for my Jeep has it center stack. :) )

Lack of customization - For things that ARE digital, we should be able to customize much of it and be able to revert to factory settings JUST for that specific settings or subsettings easily (i.e. don't have to reset the entire system). This includes mostly the entertainment system, but things like delay before turning off a courtesy lights or time to warm up in the morning should be programmable.
I can't stress this enough. A lot of driving a Scout is the tactile feel, sounds, etc of things, both outside the car and the car itself. There are newer cars that have really nice temp knobs that click as you rotate them/etc. My 2015 GL450 has very good controls and still has a touchscreen for radio/nav/etc, but the climate controls, vehicle controls, etc are all physical buttons. Here is an example. I'm not saying to copy this aesthetic, but they did a nice job balancing physical controls with touchscreen stuff. The physical buttons and switches themselves also have a nice mechanical feel. 1710957057758.png