Tailgate and/or Tailgating

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Tailgate Styles with different Spare Tire Options

• Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier (downside is number of steps to throw bag in trunk)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare Stored Under Floor of Trunk or Frunk (if batteries allow the space)

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare mounted in trunk against side wall (if batteries don't allow under trunk floor)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Side Hinge w/ Spare Mounted on Tailgate (Jeep Style) - (advantage easy access to trunk)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier - 2nd choice if batteries didn't allow under floor

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
Tailgating idea
Assuming new tech will allow for a mobile hotspot in the Scout. What if a power source at rear hatch, near the top. Then an OEM mounting bracket on the hatch lid (and beefier support arms) to allow a tv to be mounted for playing football games at a tailgate or movies while camping. If user has smart tv I’m sure a Bluetooth connection could be made. Did a rough sketch showing it on inside or outside of hatch
How very "pimp my ride" of you to think of! :ROFLMAO:

I casted my vote too. I vehemently support a drop down for five reasons:
1. Keep the fit/finish original (with the exception of the tire rack)
2. For mountain bikers like me, who prefer hitch racks, that is the best option. Having a side hinge with a hitch mount rack is a nightmare and requires a lot of extra, expensive hardware.
3. Hauling large items, like lumber, if you have a hardtop is next to impossible with a side hinge configuration
4. It's much easier to open a drop-down in tight spaces than a side hinge
5. Who doesn't love to sit on their tail gate and let their legs dangle on the trail??

Original scout ll tailgate please. W/ glass flip up window. Easy to drop down and sit on, tailgate fun etc. also use same style hardware to hold it parallel. Also the license plate holder that flips up. The spare inside optional or swing arm on bumper.

Reactions: Bodie
For those that are against the swing-out side hinge door, like me, a swing out tire carrier presents the same challenge for those of us that routinely use hitch style racks. In my initial post I accidentally commented on my potential preference for the spare to be on a swing arm.

A lot of hitch-style bike racks can tilt down and out of the way so you can open a drop-down tailgate. However they don't provide enough tilt to permit anything with a side hinge (door, swing arm, etc.) to get by. This will be a significant issue for those of us that do not remove our hitch racks.

As cool as I think it would be to have a spare mounted to the inside wall of the rear cargo area it will undoubtedly take up too much valuable space.
I think the most practical spot for it would be under the bed of the cargo area.

I just saw this video and at minute marker 4:54 he shows off the rear where it is basically a tailgate. I'm hope we can get something similar to this for the scout especially if it incorporates with a possible removable roof....either way rivians are the closest exampel of what the scout can be capable so i've been following closely and even seeing a few in my are already.

Reactions: J Alynn
I just saw this video and at minute marker 4:54 he shows off the rear where it is basically a tailgate. I'm hope we can get something similar to this for the scout especially if it incorporates with a possible removable roof....either way rivians are the closest exampel of what the scout can be capable so i've been following closely and even seeing a few in my are already.

Also showing it is possible to fit the spare tire underneath on an EV. 😊

Last edited:

Just like the FJ60 or 62. I think these are awesome.

Thinking of tailgating here... create a plastic trough 3-4" deep X 12" X 36", that most days has a lid over it (maybe with the Scout logo molded into it), When the tailgate is down; it appears and acts as a regular tailgate. With the lid removed (no tools needed), the walls of the trough can extend up a few more inches (possibly just a soft cooler liner walls that can be scrunched down when lid is in place), creating a deep enough trough to serve beverages set in ice. The main front wall would be another great place to display the Scout logo. The plastic trough itself has a drain tube running to a drain port on the bottom side of the tailgate.Would think it best to put this trough closer to the trunk area of the tailgate, allowing a serving/working area still in front of it.

When not in use for tailgating/camping, this could just be used as another storage area. Only concern would be things rattling around when the tailgate is being opened and shut. To counter that, maybe supply from the factory a foam insert that allows the owner to cut out pockets to carry specific tools/camping gear/etc to be held firmly in place. My preferred option would be to have a couple supplied soft grab bags (w/ Scout logo of coarse), made with some padding to reduce rattling concern, that could be used to hold emergency kits/tools/camping gear/etc. These would be easier to pull out and still pack in the trunk area when you wanted to use the trough for the beverage function.

Most of this could be a purchase option on the "Scout Store" (yep, another idea to ponder) to help keep initial cost down. The tailgate would just need to be prepped to accept it (cut out/drain port/machined screw holes for trough install/lid already installed). Who has wives this time of year asking what we want for Christmas?....if only we could direct them to our Wishlist page of the Scout Store!
Crazy....its like they were reading my mind 🤣. Only thing not included is the soft side, foldable sidewalls to increase the depth for an ice trough.

My three positive take aways
1- the 40/20/40 split seats in middle row-at least they appeared that way but the fold down lever took them down as 60/40. PKEASE give us 40/20/40 splits for more passenger flexibility
2-the third row fold down appeared as though the cargo area was NOT flat but again, after he folded the middle row down it all appeared to be flat. Please one flat level. Honda mastered that with their “magic” seats in the HRV
3-LOVE the flexible outlets/plug ports configuration. I do NOT like the plastic slide covers though. First time you slide something bulky in they’ll get stripped off the side wall. If they could be flush/hidden on a compression closer that would be more ideal. Anything that projects in that load zone is just buying time until it gets destroyed.
Final take away is I like the hatch/tailgate size and configuration no the Rivian but I don’t know if it will work with the appearance/design of the sScout. The lower tailgate make it so easy to reach in and grab stuff.

My three positive take aways
1- the 40/20/40 split seats in middle row-at least they appeared that way but the fold down lever took them down as 60/40. PKEASE give us 40/20/40 splits for more passenger flexibility
2-the third row fold down appeared as though the cargo area was NOT flat but again, after he folded the middle row down it all appeared to be flat. Please one flat level. Honda mastered that with their “magic” seats in the HRV
3-LOVE the flexible outlets/plug ports configuration. I do NOT like the plastic slide covers though. First time you slide something bulky in they’ll get stripped off the side wall. If they could be flush/hidden on a compression closer that would be more ideal. Anything that projects in that load zone is just buying time until it gets destroyed.
Final take away is I like the hatch/tailgate size and configuration no the Rivian but I don’t know if it will work with the appearance/design of the sScout. The lower tailgate make it so easy to reach in and grab stuff.
I apparently didn't watch the whole video the first time. After rewatching it I also noticed the touch screen it had. Although it probably won't be well received here, I really liked the long, wide-screen look! The Scout II had that same long feel with components of its dash.

Voted. Great poll idea.
Honda's drop/swing gate has worked well for me. (Along with waterproof under bed stowage. Thinking Scout Terra 4-Door here.

For the SUV, I agree with upper hatch/lower gate. Be sure hatch can be opened when bike rack is mounted.

I know it looks macho to have a big spare hanging on the back but it just says "steal me".

I know cutting cost on every corner is important, so maybe as an option a hydraulic/electric jack. The whole gizmo with a cord might pack easier than the cheap bulky screwjack.

A simple fold down tailgate with a standard-size spare in the frunk or alongside the rear quarter panel (Scout II style) works really well. Of course that would significantly limit tire size and let Wrangler and Bronco own the style of having an exterior rear-mount full-size spare. Therefore, the new Scout should also have an optional bumper-mounted (very robust) swing-away tire carrier for those who wanted one. A removable TravelTop could have a simple one-piece glass backlite that hinges up (mounted with gas cylinders) to easily gain access to the rear. If not too thick, heavy or expensive, the backlite could retract in the tailgate. Having an extended flat load floor with the tailgate down, even while driving, is a big plus and not just for tailgating. (Scout IIs even had a flip-down license plate bracket for this). BTW, I believe Ted Ornas, in part, did the up-kick in the Scout II "C" (rear-most) pillar to help hide the spare.
I would avoid automatic motorized hatch openers for the weight, cost and complexity they bring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodie and Harris005
The initial EV Scout (2- & 4-door models) could be established with a very simple, affordable design and I would love to see it weigh less that 5500 pounds. This will contrast nicely with the general cost of new similar vehicles to help re-establish the brand.
When climbing steep slippery slopes, the best drivetrain computers and wheel sensors can never fully compensate for the weight penalty and overcome the vertical force vector; not to mention sinking deeper into sand, mud, etc.
Option-laden and heavier upscale models could be released later when ready although early adopters will want to pay for them.
Until there is a battery/charging breakthrough, I would avoid pushing a high tow rating, even though that was one of the great capabilities that sold Scout IIs.