No Spare Tire on Tailgate!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
How about no spare and no air? In 2023 it seems like we might be able to go airless military grade tires? I hate air in tires although I get airing down off-road is ideal…crack the nut of heat dissipation for airless and you would have a winner while running with more surface area (like aired down)…I think their might not have been much money put into this in R&D because it is a big departure from what has been used for 100 plus years…

Honestly the horizonal bars in the grill (if we're picking up where the 1980 grill left off) could have the spring loaded handles behind the bars so you just reach into the grill, squeeze and pull the grill and drawer out.... different drop in trays in the drawer for high lift jacks compressor tie downs etc.... the bottom front of the drawer could then be dropped down on pneumatics (ike an upside down car hood) to make the larger 35 easier to get out and put in. The back of the drawer bottom would be the hinge point. Perhaps team with Decked.

Car Hood Hydrolic.jpg

Modern cars are going away from spare tires. The ones that haven't yet have compact or inflatable spares. My Scout II has the stock spare on the left side just INSIDE the hatch. VW Touareg/Q7 have the inflatable spare. I would suggest for a new EV we compromise - a compact and/or inflatable spare standard with optional full size spare on rear rack. Fun side note about the spare in the frunk - super beetle had spare laying down to add crash worthiness. At least that's the story I heard....

As for rear gate - would like fold down gate with fold up glass. I always liked that you get a little weather protection sitting on tail gate this way . Also allows for cargo loading out the glass area with gate still up. Or even fresh air for the dogs riding out back... And no, I don't like the roll down window like 4runner. Also has anyone seen the GMC Denali multi fold tail gate? Thoughts? I even toy with the old Bel-Air wagon tail gate - it could fold down OR swing to the side with help of a special hinge.

I like the idea of front drawer. Maybe make this a multi use idea? Switchable options such as REX, fridge, fitted luggage, power strip/work deck?

Also, are we getting opening rear windows? At least a small slider aka ID BUZZ? Or pop out like the Routan/Grand Caravan?

Jason

Reactions: lefty and J Alynn
Sorry to bring Rivian into this, but I feel like they nailed the full size spare in the R1T by finding space for it UNDER THE BED! Yes, if you have a load of mulch and get a flat it would be bad, but how often do you really get a flat or haul a full load of anything that would be tough to remove to allow access to the spare?

And if you are doing something ridiculous that needs instantaneous spare tire access, you can always bed or roof mount a spare (like you see in this Rebelle Ralleye R1T)

I would be surprised if the frunk allowed for a full sized spare in any off-road config (due to circumference)

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 8.12.46 AM.png

Here's a quick video of the location of the full spare and how to remove it from the bed of the truck:

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
Very much agree with the full size spare under the cargo area. I can't imagine why the frunk would be needed given that you're getting rid of the exhaust system and gas tank. With that being said, I don't know how much space batteries the would take up. For those wanting to run larger, over-sized tires I suppose you could use a swingarm accessory for mounting.

I would like the standard spare to be inside the SUV. I would prefer the spare be small (donut) and put somewhere that takes up the least valuable storage real estate:
1) under the rear, between diff and bumper. No gas tank there but may not be enough rear overhang.
2) under a tray in the rear cargo area behind the back seat. This seems common in SUVs.
3) under a tray in the frunk. I WOULD NOT want a spare tire to take up the entire frunk and do not want some slide out drawer (for a spare tire). The frunk is the MOST valuable storage real estate because it is large (hopefully), lockable and out of sight. A slide out tray for cargo might be cool IF it doesn't rob cargo space. If the top comes off (as it should), everything you don't want stolen has to go into the glove box, center console and hopefully spacious frunk.
An EV might allow some other clever location for a spare that I haven't thought of.
With all of those, I would still like to see a factory option for a full size spare (up to 35") that swings away from the drop-down tailgate carried on either the bumper or the rear fender (this is what my old Bronco had).

The other problem / consideration with rear / tailgate mount is interference w/ sensors and cross traffic camera obstruction potentially.

I think the problem with under the rear cargo area is that the rear bumper is directly underneath whatever tailgate /swing gate SM decides on making retrieving the potential full size 35 not only difficult to get to but maneuvering it out will also be more cumbersome. I don't see a drawer method in the rear happening without sacrificing depth of the bed/SUV cargo area. As narrow as the Scouts are by today's comparison a 35 would still fit behind the grill (though would take a good amount of room). Center Console, Seat Pedestals and locking medicine cabinets are a few areas that should be considered if they plan on making the top removable. Neither of my International's have a locking glove box come to think of it.

Locking Center Console.jpgSeat Pedestal Locking Storage.jpg Locking Rear Medicine Cabinet.jpgLocking Trail Gate.png

Last edited:
Reactions: roitan
Driving to work today and the Prowler came to mind in that somehow it was able to get away with a split bumper front and rear. Now I don't know what the D.O.T. says today about that but with a wider frame there is a chance that a rear drawer could fit between a split bumper setup.... level with the rear bumper unlikely fitting 35"'s though......(which is overkill in my humble opinion, 90% of the trails in the US can be done with 33's).
prowler split bumer.jpg

I think the problem with under the rear cargo area is that the rear bumper is directly underneath whatever tailgate /swing gate SM decides on making retrieving the potential full size 35 not only difficult to get to but maneuvering it out will also be more cumbersome. I don't see a drawer method in the rear happening without sacrificing depth of the bed/SUV cargo area. As narrow as the Scouts are by today's comparison a 35 would still fit behind the grill (though would take a good amount of room). Center Console, Seat Pedestals and locking medicine cabinets are a few areas that should be considered if they plan on making the top removable. Neither of my International's have a locking glove box come to think of it.

View attachment 2048View attachment 2049 View attachment 2050View attachment 2051
Yes, whether these or other places. The designers need to keep options open to maximize storage space. Typically Americans carry too much junk with them in their cars, but those who will use the SM Scouts as real work, camping, or other off-road purposes will be happy with all the storage they can get. One or two secure spots are probably sufficient; what is critical is that storage is tight so stuff doesn't escape when the bounces get big.

This applies to EV Scout Truck but when Jeep first introduced the Gladiator concept they had the spare attached to the side of the bed-I thought this gave an awesome utilitarian look.
1701958393220.png

Modern cars are going away from spare tires. The ones that haven't yet have compact or inflatable spares. My Scout II has the stock spare on the left side just INSIDE the hatch. VW Touareg/Q7 have the inflatable spare. I would suggest for a new EV we compromise - a compact and/or inflatable spare standard with optional full size spare on rear rack. Fun side note about the spare in the frunk - super beetle had spare laying down to add crash worthiness. At least that's the story I heard....

As for rear gate - would like fold down gate with fold up glass. I always liked that you get a little weather protection sitting on tail gate this way . Also allows for cargo loading out the glass area with gate still up. Or even fresh air for the dogs riding out back... And no, I don't like the roll down window like 4runner. Also has anyone seen the GMC Denali multi fold tail gate? Thoughts? I even toy with the old Bel-Air wagon tail gate - it could fold down OR swing to the side with help of a special hinge.

I like the idea of front drawer. Maybe make this a multi use idea? Switchable options such as REX, fridge, fitted luggage, power strip/work deck?

Also, are we getting opening rear windows? At least a small slider aka ID BUZZ? Or pop out like the Routan/Grand Caravan?

Jason
That multi-fold tailgate that GMC offers might be useful depending on your specific use of the truck, particularly the steps since the bed is so far off the ground. I know several owners who decided against it largely because tailgates seem to get hit/crashed/dented more often than other parts and the cost adds about $3000 to the base price and it's anybody's guess what the parts price would be if they even put any in the parts stream. I, too, like the alternative concept of the old Chevy down or side opening, but have a difficult time thinking of times I'd use the side hinged option. For me the most common use of the tailgate other than transporting longer lumber, is as a workbench. Ford (I think) had some options for clamping to a tailgate and other features supporting workbench use. And a flat workbench is an easy substitute for a table for tailgate parties. Adding a 110v outlet would be a useful luxury.

Reactions: J Alynn
There is also a trade-off with any drawer in a storage space. You will significantly limit the storage with any surrounding drawer apparatus and the drawer itself. For the frunk, a compromise could be a slide out bottom that could serve as a workbench or picnic table, or just a place to put crap when camping, for example. Of course that would mean that the hood and front grill would be connected (akin to the CT and the Lightening). This does add some complexity for engineers, and probably adds cost if something were to happen to the hood.

Main reason for the swinging tail gate would be to load into the interior.

With the gate folded down you have to either reach over it to load inside, put stuff on the tail gate then hop up and move stuff into cargo area, or leave tail gate up and lift stuff higher (shoulder high?) to load stuff. With the tail gate that swings you can walk right up to the cargo area and put your stuff down. 2 main advantages. With heavy items you don't have to strain your back reaching over the tail gate to put stuff down. With winter around us and the backs of our vehicles dirty you can better avoid getting dirty if you don't have to stretch to reach over the tail gate.

i have seen the split folding tail gate on Ram trucks and main concern is, especially lighter colors, you have this big, ugly line splitting your tail gate. Secondary to that is how much weight will the tail gate take with a joint in the middle? And to mirror some of the concerns of the GM tail gate - the tail gate will probably be very $$$$.

Jason