Tailgate and/or Tailgating

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Tailgate Styles with different Spare Tire Options

• Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier (downside is number of steps to throw bag in trunk)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare Stored Under Floor of Trunk or Frunk (if batteries allow the space)

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare mounted in trunk against side wall (if batteries don't allow under trunk floor)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Side Hinge w/ Spare Mounted on Tailgate (Jeep Style) - (advantage easy access to trunk)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier - 2nd choice if batteries didn't allow under floor

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
Didn't see a specific thread regarding the tailgate (tailgating), but have read a few post on it. I recently reminded myself how the new Broncos tailgate operates and was trying to decide if I liked it more or less than a regular truck tailgate. I still think the original Scout II type tailgate would be unique and preferred.

The advantage to the Bronco/Jeep style tailgate is not having to reach over it when getting stuff out. I also see the aftermarket world of tables, tailgate cooking, etc. maybe more unique on the Bronco/Jeep style.

Might also throw in here: 5th matching tire (spare) mounted on tailgate?...or mounting spare out of sight?

Curious on different views/ideas on this....

Didn't see a specific thread regarding the tailgate (tailgating), but have read a few post on it. I recently reminded myself how the new Broncos tailgate operates and was trying to decide if I liked it more or less than a regular truck tailgate. I still think the original Scout II type tailgate would be unique and preferred.

The advantage to the Bronco/Jeep style tailgate is not having to reach over it when getting stuff out. I also see the aftermarket world of tables, tailgate cooking, etc. maybe more unique on the Bronco/Jeep style.

Might also throw in here: 5th matching tire (spare) mounted on tailgate?...or mounting spare out of sight?

Maybe a vote???

😍 = Original Scout II style tailgate

👍 = New Bronco/Jeep Wrangler style tailgate

Thinking of tailgating here... create a plastic trough 3-4" deep X 12" X 36", that most days has a lid over it (maybe with the Scout logo molded into it), When the tailgate is down; it appears and acts as a regular tailgate. With the lid removed (no tools needed), the walls of the trough can extend up a few more inches (possibly just a soft cooler liner walls that can be scrunched down when lid is in place), creating a deep enough trough to serve beverages set in ice. The main front wall would be another great place to display the Scout logo. The plastic trough itself has a drain tube running to a drain port on the bottom side of the tailgate.Would think it best to put this trough closer to the trunk area of the tailgate, allowing a serving/working area still in front of it.

When not in use for tailgating/camping, this could just be used as another storage area. Only concern would be things rattling around when the tailgate is being opened and shut. To counter that, maybe supply from the factory a foam insert that allows the owner to cut out pockets to carry specific tools/camping gear/etc to be held firmly in place. My preferred option would be to have a couple supplied soft grab bags (w/ Scout logo of coarse), made with some padding to reduce rattling concern, that could be used to hold emergency kits/tools/camping gear/etc. These would be easier to pull out and still pack in the trunk area when you wanted to use the trough for the beverage function.

Most of this could be a purchase option on the "Scout Store" (yep, another idea to ponder) to help keep initial cost down. The tailgate would just need to be prepped to accept it (cut out/drain port/machined screw holes for trough install/lid already installed). Who has wives this time of year asking what we want for Christmas?....if only we could direct them to our Wishlist page of the Scout Store!

I think as it’s been mentioned in another thread with the electric setup there will likely be a drunk and I think having a liner or cooler option there would allow for more ice and beverages in the front and leave the rear flexible. As for the rear I’m still up in the air as to which access would be better. That said I do like a 5th spare on the rear rather than under and thinking about the battery packs I’m curious if the under spare could be done or would it take up too much space and not permit max battery packs

Reactions: Harris005
...there will likely be a drunk and I think having a liner or cooler option there would allow for more ice and beverages in the front and leave the rear flexible. As for the rear....
Likely, more than one will end up drunk with a cooler option in the frunk. ;)😂

Came across this simple aftermarket Jeep accessory and thought to myself "yep, the Scout needs one of these placed close to that built in tailgating cooler" 🍻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122_111122_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230122_111122_Facebook.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: J Alynn
I suspect supplying a tube and funnel for tailgating with kegs would be irresponsible. An add-on feature at the tailgate to secure a keg would also be great for tailgating. Size a ring that can fit a keg or a round cooler for tailgating. That would be different.
Love all the ideas to make this a fun, flexible memory maker and not just a car

Reactions: Harris005
Volkswagen's fifth generation Golf/GTI had a bottle opener is the cup holder divider:

View attachment 693

Volkswagen of America's legal team didn't think this was such a hot idea at the time for our market. Could be a fun easter egg to subtly build in somewhere... :D
Would agree it doesn't need to be within arms length of the driver seat :) More of a frunk or tailgate accessory!

Last edited:
This is a highly subjective decision. As far as wheeling/camping goes, a fold down tailgate is king. It's your seat and your workbench. It can also allow for 4x8 sheets of plywood or for hauling that new sofa home. It's just so much more versatile that a lift gate or side-swing.
A side-swing out "door" could work well, but only if the trunk floor has a pull-out extension which can support significant weight.
I don't think anyone wants a typical lift gate!

Created a poll at the top of this thread to try and get a feel for peoples opion on different spare tire storage options. Seems that most everyone leans towards a drop down style tailgate, but the spare tire locations becomes a question with this style. Each of you can put in 2 votes. Idea being put 1 vote in for the first two options. Then put your 2nd vote in on the bottom two options, assuming the batteries didn't allow space for the spare tire under the trunk or frunk area. If your favorite option is the bumper mount tire carrier, then no need for a second vote between the bottom two options.

Vote #1
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier (downside is number of steps to throw a bag in trunk)
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Spare Stored Under Floor of Trunk or Frunk (if batteries allow the space)

Vote #2 (these would be the 'next best thing' if the batteries didn't allow for under the floor)
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Spare mounted in trunk against side wall (if batteries don't allow under trunk floor - downside is using up trunk space)
  • Side Hinge Tailgate w/ Spare Mounted on Tailgate (Jeep Style) - (advantage easy access to trunk)
  • Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier - 2nd choice if batteries didn't allow under floor in the trunk/frunk

Created a poll at the top of this thread to try and get a feel for peoples opion on different spare tire storage options. Seems that most everyone leans towards a drop down style tailgate, but the spare tire locations becomes a question with this style. Each of you can put in 2 votes. Idea being put 1 vote in for the first two options. Then put your 2nd vote in on the bottom two options, assuming the batteries didn't allow space for the spare tire under the trunk or frunk area. If your favorite option is the bumper mount tire carrier, then no need for a second vote between the bottom two options.

Vote #1
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier (downside is number of steps to throw a bag in trunk)
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Spare Stored Under Floor of Trunk or Frunk (if batteries allow the space)

Vote #2 (these would be the 'next best thing' if the batteries didn't allow for under the floor)
  • Drop Down Tailgate w/ Spare mounted in trunk against side wall (if batteries don't allow under trunk floor - downside is using up trunk space)
  • Side Hinge Tailgate w/ Spare Mounted on Tailgate (Jeep Style) - (advantage easy access to trunk)
  • Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier - 2nd choice if batteries didn't allow under floor in the trunk/frunk
Voted. Great poll idea.

Tailgating idea
Assuming new tech will allow for a mobile hotspot in the Scout. What if a power source at rear hatch, near the top. Then an OEM mounting bracket on the hatch lid (and beefier support arms) to allow a tv to be mounted for playing football games at a tailgate or movies while camping. If user has smart tv I’m sure a Bluetooth connection could be made. Did a rough sketch showing it on inside or outside of hatch

Attachments

• Scout tv.jpg
    Scout tv.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 23