Rivian R2

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

JohnBills

1st Year Member
Apr 21, 2023
Utah

Possible look at the R2 from a Rivian patent file. Since this is expected to launch in 2026 as well, I think it's one to keep an eye on and compare to Scout. Price range (and maybe size) will make it a direct competitor.

What do you think of the design?

Possible look at the R2 from a Rivian patent file. Since this is expected to launch in 2026 as well, I think it's one to keep an eye on and compare to Scout. Price range (and maybe size) will make it a direct competitor.

What do you think of the design?
Looks like a Ford Escape. I’m not a huge fan of the Rivian headlights but they are memorable as a brand identifier. Thease however are TOO small and just look awkward. Body style just looks bland. Current larger Rivians have much better body lines

Looks pretty legit. For sure competition as is any 2026 SUV EV. As these brands steal and copy each other we'll certainly see some exciting proto-types and market EV's.

Reactions: JohnBills
Love a lot of things about Rivian, but lack of buttons and forced one pedal driving are pretty much deal breakers for me.

Very excited that Scott Keogh made clear that there will be buttons and door handles, now just holding out for flexibility in the regen department (I think Kia/hyundai have the best thing with the paddles)

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
Love a lot of things about Rivian, but lack of buttons and forced one pedal driving are pretty much deal breakers for me.

Very excited that Scott Keogh made clear that there will be buttons and door handles, now just holding out for flexibility in the regen department (I think Kia/hyundai have the best thing with the paddles)
Was good to hear. I’d like to know if Scott continuing to voice the knobs and buttons is a result of a lot of our feedback here on the forum. To me it sounds like we were heard and they want us knowing our thoughts and ideas matter to SM. Still think this forum is a great way to help solicit ideas from end users and Scout fans and make the vehicle as desirable as they can.
Now if only Scott would start focusing on “removable top” 😂

My 2014 Cadillac ELR has regen paddles (may have been the first). Is that what Hyundai/KIA have? I LOVE the steering wheel paddles. I hardly use the brake pedal at all. It will do one pedal driving also but I don't like it - sometimes I want to coast. I think the regen level when off the accelerator should be adjustable between a min(what an ICE would feel like) and a max(one-pedal driving) with several levels in between to suit driver preference.

After driving for an hour in my R1T, i would have a hard time going back to 2-pedal driving in this truck knowing that regen was available by simply coming off the accelerator (and it is easily modulated based on how fast you come on or off). In fact, when I drive ICE vehicles now, I am amazed at how inefficient they are and how obsolete actual braking feels to me. Not to mention the unnecessary wear and tear on braking components. Not everyone will love that (which I understand), but you need to embrace the fact that it is an EV and efficiency is front and center. Having settgings for high and low regen, as mentioned are great. And in these more modern vehicles, you can have even more finely tuned modes - my R1T has SNOW MODE for example, which also reduces regen to reduce slipping and improve traction. There are many benefits to 1-pedal driving

After driving for an hour in my R1T, i would have a hard time going back to 2-pedal driving in this truck knowing that regen was available by simply coming off the accelerator (and it is easily modulated based on how fast you come on or off). In fact, when I drive ICE vehicles now, I am amazed at how inefficient they are and how obsolete actual braking feels to me. Not to mention the unnecessary wear and tear on braking components. Not everyone will love that (which I understand), but you need to embrace the fact that it is an EV and efficiency is front and center. Having settgings for high and low regen, as mentioned are great. And in these more modern vehicles, you can have even more finely tuned modes - my R1T has SNOW MODE for example, which also reduces regen to reduce slipping and improve traction. There are many benefits to 1-pedal driving
Like Porsche rep said, I like one pedal braking. Ie there are a lot of good implementations of blended braking (like in the hybrids I’ve driven for nearly 2 decades) so you can still smoothly coast, slowdown gently or abruptly all the while getting regen without thinking about it, without having to very precisely feather the gas pedal to try to coast (which is more efficient than even regen). One pedal driving always feels like driving a manual in first gear.

Yes, I said gas pedal; it’ll always be a gas pedal to me! 🤣

I absolutely love one-pedal driving. Getting used to it didn't take long and now it's weird to me to drive something without it.

Reactions: R1TVT
Looks good but wish they would have gone vertical rear lights. Why does every new EV (and a lot of hybrids-my Accord included) feel the need to do horizontal bands of light. I think Porsche pulls it off and kinda like the Lucid Air but I think (IMHO) that trucks don’t need horizontal taillights. I think a more rugged look in an EV is a way to bridge traditional use with modern tech. That said I am anxious to see the new Rivian.
Thanks for posting @R1TVT

Reactions: R1TVT
Yeah, I'm mixed on it, think it is more of a "signature" that signals that what is up ahead, is likely a Rivian when you see it (AKA branding), but agree to some extent. With my tailgate, I do worry about that light bar at some point taking a hit and possibly cracking. I have PPF over the top of the tailgate and the light bar though.

For the R2, I don't think ruggedness is top of mind. Feels to me like this will be targeted toward more of a crossover-type audience. It will likely be attractive to owners that want to look good parking at the valet, as opposed to wanting to get their truck dirty, then wash it under a waterfall in the woods, but I speculate...

Reactions: J Alynn
Yeah, I'm mixed on it, think it is more of a "signature" that signals that what is up ahead, is likely a Rivian when you see it (AKA branding), but agree to some extent. With my tailgate, I do worry about that light bar at some point taking a hit and possibly cracking. I have PPF over the top of the tailgate and the light bar though.

For the R2, I don't think ruggedness is top of mind. Feels to me like this will be targeted toward more of a crossover-type audience. It will likely be attractive to owners that want to look good parking at the valet, as opposed to wanting to get their truck dirty, then wash it under a waterfall in the woods, but I speculate...
I agree on where you are coming from exactly. And I concur that manufacturers seem to all be using LED lighting for signature elements. Especially Audi and Porsche

That reminds of this stupid Audi commercial where the entire commercial is a kid going through all the led options while the mom can’t decide which one she likes. Is different led options really the most important or exciting feature of the car? Who gives a f@$k.

That reminds of this stupid Audi commercial where the entire commercial is a kid going through all the led options while the mom can’t decide which one she likes. Is different led options really the most important or exciting feature of the car? Who gives a f@$k.
Kept thinking kid should’ve dropped it into gear and ended that never ending process. Can’t stand that commercial 😂

Reactions: Bodie
Well, Rivian dropped 2 new vehicles today (R2 and R3) and even dropped a performance "X" variant on the R3.

Personally, I would have preferred to have seen a 2-door truck come off the R2, BUT the reaction to R2 and R3 seems to be very impressive so far.

Well, Rivian dropped 2 new vehicles today (R2 and R3) and even dropped a performance "X" variant on the R3.

Personally, I would have preferred to have seen a 2-door truck come off the R2, BUT the reaction to R2 and R3 seems to be very impressive so far.
This will be great for competition, a director competitor for the SM SUV. Some things that I liked from the video what the boxy design, open air experience and price point starting at 45k. Rivian has set itself apart from the market with it's innovation and design, when you see a Rivian you recognize it. 2026 will be a good year!

Not bad looking. I’m not a huge fan of touchscreen and no buttons BUT love the interior material sections. Over all it’s a nice looking vehicle. Maybe compete against the Bronco sport ???