Range Reality Check

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Bodie

1st Year Member
Apr 2, 2023
San Antonio, TX

Real apples to apples info using All Terrain tires on an EV SUV and truck. The Rivian R1S and R1T both lose a big chunk of range switching from road to A/T tires going from 352 to 300 EPA estimate (about 15%). That's at the same tire diameter of about 34". Hopefully SM/VAG has enough clout to work with one of the big tire manufacturers to come up with an A/T tire optimized for EVs to reduce that loss a little.
I know from personal experience that the tire compound matters. On my PHEV, I replaced the original tires with the same brand/size/model tires but NOT the EV version because they were more expensive. I lost almost 10% range.
I know I have been one of those wanting 35" tires as an option but maybe the range loss is too severe? I'm hoping SM keeps the Scout size to no larger than a Scout II Traveler (4-door). I think even a regular Scout II with a little stretch and less rear overhang could have 4 doors. A smaller vehicle means the proportions look better with smaller tires. I think 33s still look good on that size vehicle. I definitely hope it's smaller than the Rivian. Even 34" tires look small on it.
Hopefully SM will offer real world estimates of range (including all assumptions) with all the tire/wheel options they offer so buyers will know what they are signing up for when they choose.

Last edited:

Real apples to apples info using All Terrain tires on an EV SUV and truck. The Rivian R1S and R1T both lose a big chunk of range switching from road to A/T tires going from 352 to 300 EPA estimate (about 15%). That's at the same tire diameter of about 34". Hopefully SM/VAG has enough clout to work with one of the big tire manufacturers to come up with an A/T tire optimized for EVs to reduce that loss a little.
I know from personal experience that the tire compound matters. On my PHEV, I replaced the original tires with the same brand/size/model tires but NOT the EV version because they were more expensive. I lost almost 10% range.
I know I have been one of those wanting 35" tires as an option but maybe the range loss is too severe? I'm hoping SM keeps the Scout size to no larger than a Scout II Traveler (4-door). I think even a regular Scout II with a little stretch and less rear overhang could have 4 doors. A smaller vehicle means the proportions look better with smaller tires. I think 33s still look good on that size vehicle. I definitely hope it's smaller than the Rivian. Even 34" tires look small on it.
Hopefully SM will offer real world estimates of range (including all assumptions) with all the tire/wheel options they offer so buyers will know what they are signing up for when they choose.
Bodie, I agree with most of your sentiment and it'll really hinge on what someone does with it. I'd love to have my cake and eat it too (33+ tires with good bite AND good range), but if I have to choose, I think somewhere in between is good. I'd hate to see smaller than 32", but unlike a lot of folks, I'm OK with narrower tires. I wish someone made a 33x9.5 anymore, for example.

I am almost certain the Scout will be smaller than the R1S. I would expect something close to the R2 or Bronco. The R1S is really the big $$ 7 passenger SUV and if they were coming after that market, I would expect prices to start at $70k instead of 40K where I'm hoping to find ourselves. That's what the market is doing GLS450, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, R1S, etc. All the big luxury SUVs are 70-100k for 7 seaters.

Just to clarify - 352 EPA estimate is based on the dual motor version on 21" wheels (most efficient) with all wx tires. There are 3 different wheel sizes (20, 21, 22) - all with slightly different range implications AND there are different motor variants and battery packs - all having different range implications... Also, depends on WX, driver, headwind/tailwind, accessories, HVAC and driving style.

At the end of the day, and in the quad motor configuration that I have, with the large battery pack, on 20" wheels, with Pirelli Scorpion OEM tires, I will see a 10-15% reduction vs the 21" wheel with all wx rubber - which to me doesn't really matter very much at all.

WHY?

Well, when you are on a longer road trip, you are typically going to seek charging at around 20% SOC to be most efficient with your pit stops (based on fastest charging curves being from 20-80%). So there is a little wiggle room at around that 20% mark when you stop, and you will likely stop in "generally" the same vicinity with slightly more or less range, so really doesn't impact an overall trip in any meaningful manner. On a daily basis, and given you likely have a charger at home, that type of difference doesn't ever come to mind, since for daily usage you typically would not be draining your battery every day. Just 1 perspective that I thought I would share.

Reactions: J Alynn