Tailgate and/or Tailgating

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Tailgate Styles with different Spare Tire Options

• Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier (downside is number of steps to throw bag in trunk)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare Stored Under Floor of Trunk or Frunk (if batteries allow the space)

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Drop Down w/ Spare mounted in trunk against side wall (if batteries don't allow under trunk floor)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Side Hinge w/ Spare Mounted on Tailgate (Jeep Style) - (advantage easy access to trunk)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Drop Down w/ Swinging Bumper Mount Tire Carrier - 2nd choice if batteries didn't allow under floor

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
This is a great idea, surprised other manufacturers haven't caught wind. I'm a huge fan of the slide out tailgate in my Bronco. This is where I eat my lunch daily at lunch. Others love it for fishing.
I've never heard about this. Maintenance I shudder at, but as a feature that's cool as hell.

Now that we are actually IN tailgating season, I think it’s a great time to get feedback. I have taken my ‘79 to 2 college games this fall so far for tailgating. First thing is that everyone LOVES the Scout:) even the owner of the new bronco in the pic next to me…first thing he said was he was jealous as heck for my actual tailgate! He hates the swing gate. People stopped by all day long - old timers remembering old Scouts or Internationals in their pasts and the college kids with, “What is that thing? I love it!”. Some kids guess Bronco…they love hearing its not…its something “else”, and I know for sure they are googling it after the visit. Many sat on the tailgate just to experience it. Functionally, the bed size and open air and tailgate are really ideal for all my gear and use during the tailgate party (table, big cooler, chairs, etc). For the new Scout, I would want powerful outlets to power a toaster or a blender. I also would not want to have to run the truck, like another neighbor had to do for 1.5h in his gas powered suv to power his appliances….that was awful! I also don’t need a bottle opener…cans are the norm now by far IMO. Anyway, I’d love to hear more real experiences and feedback for actual tailgating - its fun as heck and should be part if the thought process!!IMG_1180.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Now that we are actually IN tailgating season, I think it’s a great time to get feedback. I have taken my ‘79 to 2 college games this fall so far for tailgating. First thing is that everyone LOVES the Scout:) even the owner of the new bronco in the pic next to me…first thing he said was he was jealous as heck for my actual tailgate! He hates the swing gate. People stopped by all day long - old timers remembering old Scouts or Internationals in their pasts and the college kids with, “What is that thing? I love it!”. Some kids guess Bronco…they love hearing its not…its something “else”, and I know for sure they are googling it after the visit. Many sat on the tailgate just to experience it. Functionally, the bed size and open air and tailgate are really ideal for all my gear and use during the tailgate party (table, big cooler, chairs, etc). For the new Scout, I would want powerful outlets to power a toaster or a blender. I also would not want to have to run the truck, like another neighbor had to do for 1.5h in his gas powered suv to power his appliances….that was awful! I also don’t need a bottle opener…cans are the norm now by far IMO. Anyway, I’d love to hear more real experiences and feedback for actual tailgating - its fun as heck and should be part if the thought process!!View attachment 1651
Tailgating in a parking garage? That’s not tailgating-that’s like going camping and renting a fully loaded cabin 😂. Just kidding. Guess BC fans do it differently than PSU.
All in favor of your comments with exception of bottle opener. It’s a cheap Easter egg item and talking point for the $5 it probably costs when all said. To each his own on the beer vessel-I go bottle any chance I can over a can.
All that said-you are out tailgating during football season so good for you. Tailgate should absolutely be the offering and those who want big spares can add the swing out carrier and solve that dilemma.
Nice Scout. Love my daughter’s 2023 Bronco but I’d take your Scout in a heartbeat

Now that we are actually IN tailgating season, I think it’s a great time to get feedback. I have taken my ‘79 to 2 college games this fall so far for tailgating. First thing is that everyone LOVES the Scout:) even the owner of the new bronco in the pic next to me…first thing he said was he was jealous as heck for my actual tailgate! He hates the swing gate. People stopped by all day long - old timers remembering old Scouts or Internationals in their pasts and the college kids with, “What is that thing? I love it!”. Some kids guess Bronco…they love hearing its not…its something “else”, and I know for sure they are googling it after the visit. Many sat on the tailgate just to experience it. Functionally, the bed size and open air and tailgate are really ideal for all my gear and use during the tailgate party (table, big cooler, chairs, etc). For the new Scout, I would want powerful outlets to power a toaster or a blender. I also would not want to have to run the truck, like another neighbor had to do for 1.5h in his gas powered suv to power his appliances….that was awful! I also don’t need a bottle opener…cans are the norm now by far IMO. Anyway, I’d love to hear more real experiences and feedback for actual tailgating - its fun as heck and should be part if the thought process!!View attachment 1651
I love this. I agree, I'd go original before new anday, sometimes other things taking greater precedence when having a family which translates into modern technology. I have a 23 Bronco and do like the slide out tailgate. I do think I'd prefer to have the drop down tailgate as opposed to the swing gate. I think the Fj62 has a great design with its short drop down tailgate, not sure others would agree.

Attachments

• 20230708_135955.jpg
    20230708_135955.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230919_203057_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_203057_Chrome.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 8
Agree with ya, except for the bottle opener😉 .

Some tailgating items for SM design in/around:
  1. Music is important - being able to project it to the group would be useful (tailgating and/or frunking). Doors open for speaker use with door chime going off is the worst :rolleyes:. Mentioned in past post, but built in cordless bluetooth speakers sounds interesting.
  2. Coolers (plural - 1 food (frunk), 1 beverages (tailgate))
  3. Trash
  4. Grill - I take either weber charcoaler, or portable Blackstone. Trouble with Weber is awkwardness to transport as well as dealing with the ash. Will be even more of an issue in an SUV. Blackstone approach could be looked at with newer electric model that would plug in to the Scout.
  5. Traffic leaving can take hours - concerns with running battery down to keep warm (aka warm back up)??
  6. Still like the idea of tv mounts planned for in trunk and frunk areas with today's streaming abilities sounds fun.
  7. A post a while back showed the spare tire floor cover that was a table as well 👌
  8. A post a while back about the tailgate transforming into an iced down beverage trough and serving area is still intriguing
  9. I always put up our telescoping flag pole and teams flag
  10. Cornhole
  11. Showing support for your team
  12. Solo cups (new aluminum cups)
  13. Paper towels (that don't unravel in the wind)
  14. Keeping warm or shaded
  15. Some ideas could be better served as aftermarket, but Scout possibly prepping for that could be a good idea??

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
BTW - Another great thing about an electric Scout having an open fold-down tailgate for an extended load floor or bed while underway is that there are no exhaust fumes that may be drawn into the cabin!