Mazda Rotary Range Extender

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
The MX-30 needs a range extender because it has the range of a plug-in hybrid, but without the hybrid. As cool as a range extender is, with a 225-325mi range, there are increasingly fewer roads you can travel without getting a top up. And realistically, only red-bull pounding marathon drivers will go more than 250mi without stopping for 10-15 minutes. Even off roading you'll be hard pressed to run out of juice (but the 0.1% will prove me wrong). A range extender would be nice in some use cases, but the cost, space, and complexity it adds to the drivetrain just isn't worth it. I went from PHEV to full EV with serious hesitance, but after doing 850mi in a day I'm convinced that battery only is perfectly fine.

The MX-30 needs a range extender because it has the range of a plug-in hybrid, but without the hybrid. As cool as a range extender is, with a 225-325mi range, there are increasingly fewer roads you can travel without getting a top up. And realistically, only red-bull pounding marathon drivers will go more than 250mi without stopping for 10-15 minutes. Even off roading you'll be hard pressed to run out of juice (but the 0.1% will prove me wrong). A range extender would be nice in some use cases, but the cost, space, and complexity it adds to the drivetrain just isn't worth it. I went from PHEV to full EV with serious hesitance, but after doing 850mi in a day I'm convinced that battery only is perfectly fine.
While I get what you're saying, we have a saying in the trailer towing community whenever someone asks about "is this too heavy?"

It's never about the sunny, dry day. It's about when you're on a mountain pass, going down hill, with a load and a motorcycle lays down in front of you. Can you stop then?

I say this because there need to be redundancies. There need to be backups. And unfortunately, the range we're seeing in 4LO is quite atrocious.

Certainly a challenge. I portable microturbine range extender would be pretty sweet. Something more powerful than a portable generator.

But why use a Mazda wankel, when they can grab from the VW parts bin and get something like the small 1.2 or even the slightly larger 1.8 which is known for reliability and still the same weight as the Mazda wankel without having to pay Mazda royalties

But why use a Mazda wankel, when they can grab from the VW parts bin and get something like the small 1.2 or even the slightly larger 1.8 which is known for reliability and still the same weight as the Mazda wankel without having to pay Mazda royalties
If you read the article I provided, you'd see that there are redesigned, American made rotary motors available that would fit this purpose like a glove... It's another area Scout Motors could leverage American manufacturing into their designs while improving their range via an uncommon, quirky manner. I think it's at least worth looking into.

"engineers yanked the 39-pound conventional engine out of a kart and installed the four-pound X Mini."

"Rotary engines are particularly efficient at low, steady engine speeds, which is why they make sense as generators. In an EV, the small and light units would play that same role"

From the article, in case you didn't want to read it.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
If you read the article I provided, you'd see that there are redesigned, American made rotary motors available that would fit this purpose like a glove... It's another area Scout Motors could leverage American manufacturing into their designs while improving their range via an uncommon, quirky manner. I think it's at least worth looking into.

"engineers yanked the 39-pound conventional engine out of a kart and installed the four-pound X Mini."

"Rotary engines are particularly efficient at low, steady engine speeds, which is why they make sense as generators. In an EV, the small and light units would play that same role"

From the article, in case you didn't want to read it.
And my thought would be a plug and play add-on. It wouldn't have to be in there ALL the time, but if you're going on a long trip, put that puppy in and away we go.

A unit that fits on a swing-away on the rear bumper, modeled like a spare tire that's fueled by a bumper mounted jerrycan, but there's an inherent rear collision hazard there so would have to be trail use/limited speed only... a protected unit that mounts in combo between the hitch & bumper might work for road use, but would interfere with tailgate/hatch access. Safe fuel storage outside the vehicle is tricky.

I wouldn't want anything permanently mounted on-board for sure.

I like the froot storage idea. Have a vent for intake and exhaust. Completely self contained, it loads up in minutes, plug in some cables and away we go.

Pushed within an inch of their limits with constantly changing demands, sure... A duty-specific redesign can eliminate many of the shortcomings of Mazda's rotary. The idea's been kicked around for half a decade or more now.
At first all I could picture are those memes posted on social media with a generator charging an EV on the side of the road....and all the negativity that came with those post. But after reading the linked article it does seem like an option worth looking into. The issue Ive read about with hybrids is the added weight actually hurts, rather than helps, that vehicles carbon footprint. This thing looks to be very light weight. The other selling point that jumped out at me at the end of the article was the statement that the use of this motor to charge the batteries creates less emissions than an EV plugged in on the grid. That could be a selling point.