Manual Transmission

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
So what you are saying is it is complicated? :) Not everyone will be happy no matter what is decided and I agree fully on pick a segment and do it well. Hopefully that lands where I might like it to be. If not, there will be other options.
Exactly, and part of how I was trying to say it is "it is for sure do-able but if it should be done due to cost/practicality etc..." I would love a manual trans personally but I won't cry if it doesn't happen.

I am in the camp of them doing this one right... you can do it right as a competitor to the Rivian and really to $70K+ cars (really $90K+) or you can do it as something unique. Do whatever one of those you are going to do the best it can be done. Unique could be a standard transmission. You see some EV conversion companies looking to this model. You may (not the engineer, just worked on cars most my life) be able to install a standard transmission and transfer case with a smaller overall motor package to save costs, preserve historic connections, etc... It could also ruin the rig. It could make us destroy transmissions, have to re-program things, loose out on advancements in automotive tech that we will ultimately like. It will ultimately come down to factors such as price, sales estimates, the type of market they want to reach and we cannot pick that for them at this magnitude.
This is a hill that I will die on.....for cost, weight, efficiency, maintenance, and everything..... manual transmissions do not belong on EVs it is an added weight and just introducing additional components that need maintenance and are likely to break or fail or worsen efficiency.

A conversation kits are going to be a big business pretty soon but I don't think they should purposely make a converted vechicle

Last edited:
Reactions: R1TVT
After having owned an Audi with DSG, and paddle shifters, I would say the simulation & novelty of manually shifting an EV (that provides instant, smooth torque and acceleration, and can also be modulated in a variety of different drive modes) would wear off VERY quickly. All that effort to pretend to get a feel like you are doing something mechanically (that you know is only simulated) would likely be way underutilized for the effort... I know it wore off with DSG almost instantly. Unless I wanted to hit my rev limit coming off a green light, which wasn't very often.

Reactions: Rustic_father
I’d challenge that based on the various types of drivers. I’ll concede that paddle shifters on a rugged SUV would likely be used less often. That said, my Acura has them, be it a performance sport sedan, but I use my paddle shifters any time I get the chance. I am referred to as a spirited driver and I accept that. I love the interaction of driving. My past three vehicles were 2 SUVs and a sport wagon. I hit a point where the driving experience of those were killing my joy of driving. Again, I don’t anticipate going down to Baja to tear through sand and dunes or pulling up to a traffic light to drag race someone (keeping the Acura for that) but I want enough interaction to enjoy the drive. I agree adding artificial shifting is just added weight but perhaps there is an in between. Maybe I need to accept an electric vehicle will be less interactive and my Acura will scratch that itch. We need to remember we are all enthusiasts about the Scout. We also have vehicle owners who are commuters and vehicle owners who are drivers-I’m the latter. Taking time to think of ways to address both types of drivers is important and at this stage in the game, with a ground up EV, I think it behooves the design team to see if there is a way to satisfy both. Just my opinion

Reactions: Harris005
I’d challenge that based on the various types of drivers. I’ll concede that paddle shifters on a rugged SUV would likely be used less often. That said, my Acura has them, be it a performance sport sedan, but I use my paddle shifters any time I get the chance. I am referred to as a spirited driver and I accept that. I love the interaction of driving. My past three vehicles were 2 SUVs and a sport wagon. I hit a point where the driving experience of those were killing my joy of driving. Again, I don’t anticipate going down to Baja to tear through sand and dunes or pulling up to a traffic light to drag race someone (keeping the Acura for that) but I want enough interaction to enjoy the drive. I agree adding artificial shifting is just added weight but perhaps there is an in between. Maybe I need to accept an electric vehicle will be less interactive and my Acura will scratch that itch. We need to remember we are all enthusiasts about the Scout. We also have vehicle owners who are commuters and vehicle owners who are drivers-I’m the latter. Taking time to think of ways to address both types of drivers is important and at this stage in the game, with a ground up EV, I think it behooves the design team to see if there is a way to satisfy both. Just my opinion
I drag race people all the time in my Tesla. I have the regular long range and I go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. The performance model 3 is 3.1 seconds. I drag race chargers and challengers and mustangs.

I really want to emphasize that I love manual transmissions. And EVs arnt boring.....they have quite the thrill because they have the ability to kick you into the back of your chair at an instant without having to downshift. That torque is always always there.

The main idea that I’m trying to emphasize is that EVs still have a thrill it’s just slightly different, and different isn’t worse.

Knowing we appear to have roughly two to three camps of people here-pro Scout, pro off-road and pro electric I have an interesting proposition for the Scout team.
I think knowing Chris is traveling to meet Scout groups the following suggestion might be worth exploring. Schedule 15-18 stops around the US where you can hit hubs of Scout enthusiasts. Plan a reasonable demo utilizing several Rivian and Wrangler X4e’s on off-road style experiences and learn from attendees what’s good, what’s bad, what EV off-reading is or can be and maybe ease the mind of many of us who are new to EV’s. Even owning a Tesla from a street/sport approach will be drastically different than an off-road capable vehicle. I realize there is a significant cost to something like this but what a way to empower your buying demographic. Just spit balling an idea. It certainly would be a great real world educational experience

Knowing we appear to have roughly two to three camps of people here-pro Scout, pro off-road and pro electric I have an interesting proposition for the Scout team.
I think knowing Chris is traveling to meet Scout groups the following suggestion might be worth exploring. Schedule 15-18 stops around the US where you can hit hubs of Scout enthusiasts. Plan a reasonable demo utilizing several Rivian and Wrangler X4e’s on off-road style experiences and learn from attendees what’s good, what’s bad, what EV off-reading is or can be and maybe ease the mind of many of us who are new to EV’s. Even owning a Tesla from a street/sport approach will be drastically different than an off-road capable vehicle. I realize there is a significant cost to something like this but what a way to empower your buying demographic. Just spit balling an idea. It certainly would be a great real world educational experience

The hard part is that no manufacturer (yet) has a setup similar to what we are going to build. We also have some former Rivian owners/former employees hired on board, in addition to VW/Porsche/Audi engineers working on next-generation AWD EVs in the group. So apple to apples comparisons would be tough. That said, we've benchmarked all competing vehicles (at this point) as part of the process. We are waiting on the Jeep Recon, Mercedes EQG/ G-Wagon EV and Defender EV (not sure on the timing of the last one, but the Recon and EQG should be on the market before us) to also look at. We won't be pricing the Scout like the Defender or EQG, but we like to aim high on specs and bring value to the table where we can. :D

I like to think that I'm in all 3 camps in varying degrees but the main difference for me is that my version of off roading is very different from others off roading....and maybe this should be a separate topic or even a poll but what kind of "off road" capabilities does everybody expect fresh out of the box?

There is a bit of confusion (maybe only by me) because everyone uses "off roading" interchangeably. Is there some kind of standard trail rating system that is universally accepted and understood?

I personally don't think it is a reasonable expectation for a stock scout to be targeted to handle a trail like the Rubicon....maybe the top of the line scout with like extreme off road packages.

I'll try to defend my position real quick....I think that trails like the Rubicon are too extreme for an every day vehicle....unless it is modified. Much like original scouts they need modification to be able to handle the extreme trails. So I think that it important that the new scout is easy to modify. That way the new scout will able to handle a lot of off roading but for those who want to go on extreme trails can modify the vehicle to make that possible.

I'm curious what everybody else's thoughts are on the topic....I know I will likely be in the minority

Reactions: Chris@ScoutMotors
I like to think that I'm in all 3 camps in varying degrees but the main difference for me is that my version of off roading is very different from others off roading....and maybe this should be a separate topic or even a poll but what kind of "off road" capabilities does everybody expect fresh out of the box?

There is a bit of confusion (maybe only by me) because everyone uses "off roading" interchangeably. Is there some kind of standard trail rating system that is universally accepted and understood?

I personally don't think it is a reasonable expectation for a stock scout to be targeted to handle a trail like the Rubicon....maybe the top of the line scout with like extreme off road packages.

I'll try to defend my position real quick....I think that trails like the Rubicon are too extreme for an every day vehicle....unless it is modified. Much like original scouts they need modification to be able to handle the extreme trails. So I think that it important that the new scout is easy to modify. That way the new scout will able to handle a lot of off roading but for those who want to go on extreme trails can modify the vehicle to make that possible.

I'm curious what everybody else's thoughts are on the topic....I know I will likely be in the minority
I’ve clearly stated my extent of off-road needs is a heavily pot-holed dirt/gravel road where a sedan might take damage but 90% of SUV’s would survive. 😀

I like this idea, and we've actually been looking into ways to do something similar. Been heads down planning over the last few weeks (hence not being too active on here) but will definitely take this back and see how a program like this may be able to fit into the schedule/budget over the next few years.

I think that once people get into modern day EV's and esperience the capabilities, what it's like to actually drive them, and some of the unique thrills they provide, as @Rustic_father mentioned, they actually get pretty stoked on them. Not to mention how they can actually make great off roaders.

@Rustic_father I agree with your take here. Dare I say that most wouldn't use a brand new 50K vehicle for the more extreme trails. Howerver, making it so the aftermarket world can still give them that opertunity to do so seems to be a win for everyone. I would also maybe say if you are someone that is into extreme trails, use the New Scout to get you there with your old, modified Scout towed behind for a day on the more extreme trails.

I also am liking what @R1TVT is reporting on the air suspension in his post https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/ev-focused-suggestions.99/post-1936 It seems to be a very capable machine on mid-level trails, which is where most people would limit out at anyway. My two concerns with this set up are: 1) how much added cost would a suspension like this add to the base line (most want the Scout to remain affordable, unlike the Rivian)? 2) Does this system limit the upgrades one can do for more extreme trail rigs? Are there steps that the designers could take to prepare aftermarket upgrades for a trail rig setup? I believe most would say solid axles are the preferred; however, I think this is one of those "can't make everyone happy".

My personal vote - An air suspension similar to the Rivian with the adjustable ride height seems like a great set up for the types of trails I would find myself on as well as a higher level of comfort on the road (assuming I don't have to sell the families organs on the black market to help pay for it). I would also hope to still get the old Scout out and enjoy it on the trails, and if I found myself wanting to attempt some of the more challenging trails, then I would look to upgrade the old Scout for just that.

Reactions: J Alynn

We are a long way off on finalizing trim options and packages, but it is worth pointing out that it is NOT necessary (at least using some of the bypasses) to have a modified or extreme vehicle to traverse the Rubicon Trail:

Suspension details are still being sorted out, but there are several things to consider. Air suspension is a nice convenience feature when you want more ground clearance (or want the vehicle to sit a bit lower). It is quite a bit more costly both in upfront costs and maintenance down the road and more complex in terms of support systems. We haven't ruled it out, but I personally think if we were to offer it, we should have it as an option so that there is the ability to just replace the stock spring/shock setup if you like. I don't think lift kits will be an issue, either.

In all this, we also need to worry about unsprung weight, particularly if we utilize a beam axle setup with electric motors. Adding air suspension further increases unsprung weight, and we don't want to destroy the ride and handling. So everything in balance. These decisions are still being made, but the team is definitely on the same page as all of you regarding capabilities.

We are exploring all options.