EV focused suggestions

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Rustic_father

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Dec 12, 2022
Virginia
I have never even seen a real original scout so my recommendations are coming from a perspective of making it a great EV as well as a great scout. (in no specific order)

- No haptic feedback buttons: I know the VW ID4 has already discontinued the use of the non-button-buttons but i just want to point out that it should either be buttons or a screen.

- Dash-cam / parking lot security: Tesla and Rivian both added the ability for users to retrieve dashcam information as well as enabling sentry mode / gear guard to catch people backing up into the car in the parking lot or people doing other things to the vehicle. This is extremely useful for insurance claims and for peace of mind. Please ensure this is incorporated in the beginning.

- Dedicated Exterior button for Frunk: If there is a frunk (i would hope so), I would really suggest that there is a dedicated button to open it like on the Rivian who hides a button just under the grill. It is incredibly inconvenient to have to load up the app or to go inside (in teslas) to open up the frunk. I am assuming the design of the EV Scout will lend itself to a sizeable frunk and i want to make sure it is practical/usable.

- Charge port door: Looking at the industry there are many different versions of chart port door. Please make it as simple as possible just like the ID.4. Other implementations such as Rivian, Lucid, or even Tesla have motorized doors that open in fancy ways that will have proven to be another point of failure. While these are fun to put on marketing videos the novelty wears off and in the end it is just a door that needs to open so you can plug in.

- Charging speed: Please ensure that the charging curve / is somewhere in the range of 250KW+. Early ID4 had a very slow charging curve and later versions / updates allowed faster charging. However VW ID4 still barely scratches the surface of the maximum potential allowed by the VW Partnered Electrify America(300kw max)

- Heat pump: Please include a heat pump. Those of us not living in cold climates really benefit from the efficiency during the colder months of having an efficient heat source.

- Air Suspension: Not only will an air suspension give the Scout EV a very capable off road capability but daily commuters/errand runners will also benefit from the ability to lower the suspension for better aerodynamics.

- Spare tire: Please ensure that there is at the very least a half spare. I understand that spare tires add weight and can reduce range, but if the vehicle is to perform off road there is no option for a tow truck. Also those who know how to change a tire would greatly appreciate not having to call someone else because their car lacks the tools necessary to be self sufficient.

- Storage: Please take notes from Rivian and look into adding storage in every nook&cranny such as having the back seats open up to uncover a storage area in there.

- No piano black please!: I know piano black looks nice and shiny in marketing photos but they are fingerprint and dirt magnets and look terrible in a very short amount of time. Additionally if the scout is supposed to be a rugged vehicle it will get beat around a little and therefore the piano black surfaces will get scratched very easy and look ugly. Please use matte finishes that will withstand some living.

- Driver profiles: I can't say how convenient it is to have the not only the seat but the side mirrors, and steering wheel tied to the driver profile.Tesla also saves driving mode preferences as well as music preferences between driver. These are extremely helpful especially when there is a big height difference between spouses or a big difference in driving preferences.

These are all of the things i can think of right now. Maybe I'll be back for more later

-At least the driver's door should be able to be manually opened and unlocked (w/key) from the outside, even when all power is lost (e.g. 12v battery failure: this and that). If aerodynamics is the issue, a door handle/keyhole similar in operation to the SF90’s should suffice.

-Normal door handles on the inside that open the doors manually like they used to, in case of emergency (e.g. this and that).

Last edited:
-At least the driver's door should be able to be manually opened and unlocked (w/key) from the outside, even when all power is lost (e.g. 12v battery failure). If aerodynamics is the issue, a door handle/keyhole similar in operation to the SF90’s should suffice.

-Normal door handles on the inside that open the doors manually like they used to, in case of emergency (e.g. this and that).

I agree with this. the VW ID4 has something similar. opening the door from the outside it is an electronic button push on the underside of the handle, but if the power is out the whole handle moves and then mechanically opens the door. I do believe the ID4 also has a hidden key hole in the driver door handle.

you also bring up a good point about 12v Battery failure. I think this is something Scout should address as well. Either integrate a 12v voltage drop transistor/transformer to supply the 12v components or figure out a good way to maintain the 12v charge on the battery. Too many horror stories about EVs that just don't open/work because the 12v battery died.

- Spare tire: Please ensure that there is at the very least a half spare. I understand that spare tires add weight and can reduce range, but if the vehicle is to perform off road there is no option for a tow truck. Also those who know how to change a tire would greatly appreciate not having to call someone else because their car lacks the tools necessary to be self sufficient.
Some Off Road areas such as the Cape Cod National Seashore specifically prohibit "temporary use spare tires". It would be great if the Scout came with 5 wheels and tires of the same size.
https://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/orv-equipment-and-tire-requirements.htm

I have never even seen a real original scout so my recommendations are coming from a perspective of making it a great EV as well as a great scout. (in no specific order)

- No haptic feedback buttons: I know the VW ID4 has already discontinued the use of the non-button-buttons but i just want to point out that it should either be buttons or a screen.

- Dash-cam / parking lot security: Tesla and Rivian both added the ability for users to retrieve dashcam information as well as enabling sentry mode / gear guard to catch people backing up into the car in the parking lot or people doing other things to the vehicle. This is extremely useful for insurance claims and for peace of mind. Please ensure this is incorporated in the beginning.

- Dedicated Exterior button for Frunk: If there is a frunk (i would hope so), I would really suggest that there is a dedicated button to open it like on the Rivian who hides a button just under the grill. It is incredibly inconvenient to have to load up the app or to go inside (in teslas) to open up the frunk. I am assuming the design of the EV Scout will lend itself to a sizeable frunk and i want to make sure it is practical/usable.

- Charge port door: Looking at the industry there are many different versions of chart port door. Please make it as simple as possible just like the ID.4. Other implementations such as Rivian, Lucid, or even Tesla have motorized doors that open in fancy ways that will have proven to be another point of failure. While these are fun to put on marketing videos the novelty wears off and in the end it is just a door that needs to open so you can plug in.

- Charging speed: Please ensure that the charging curve / is somewhere in the range of 250KW+. Early ID4 had a very slow charging curve and later versions / updates allowed faster charging. However VW ID4 still barely scratches the surface of the maximum potential allowed by the VW Partnered Electrify America(300kw max)

- Heat pump: Please include a heat pump. Those of us not living in cold climates really benefit from the efficiency during the colder months of having an efficient heat source.

- Air Suspension: Not only will an air suspension give the Scout EV a very capable off road capability but daily commuters/errand runners will also benefit from the ability to lower the suspension for better aerodynamics.

- Storage: Please take notes from Rivian and look into adding storage in every nook&cranny such as having the back seats open up to uncover a storage area in there.

- No piano black please!: I know piano black looks nice and shiny in marketing photos but they are fingerprint and dirt magnets and look terrible in a very short amount of time. Additionally if the scout is supposed to be a rugged vehicle it will get beat around a little and therefore the piano black surfaces will get scratched very easy and look ugly. Please use matte finishes that will withstand some living.

- Driver profiles: I can't say how convenient it is to have the not only the seat but the side mirrors, and steering wheel tied to the driver profile.Tesla also saves driving mode preferences as well as music preferences between driver. These are extremely helpful especially when there is a big height difference between spouses or a big difference in driving preferences.

These are all of the things i can think of right now. Maybe I'll be back for more later

Some really good thoughts.

Re: Haptic controls. Many owners of VWs (including myself) with Haptic will say the steering wheel haptic are really pretty good. Haptic Radio, climate control, not so much. Takes some time to adjust to the change though. I don't wear gloves when driving even in the cold so I can't speak for operation with gloves.

Charge Port: 100% agree on KISS. No motors and fancy gymnastics. Designing it should appropriately take into consideration that it is a daily touch point if operated like the ID.4. Painted surfaces will scratch with daily interaction and the doors will break if too flimsy when mistakenly bumped into as they will now be open while parked in your garage.

Heat Pump, Agreed it should be an option for cold weather climates assuming it makes a real difference. Some discussion around how effective the ID.4 Heat pump system really is.

Reactions: Rustic_father

I agree with everything but the cameras and air suspension. Cameras are a nice convenience, but add cost and complexity that not everyone wants to be forced to pay for. I'd to see pre-run wiring, but would prefer an optional camera package. Air suspension is awesome, but again not desired by everyone and adds huge cost, complexity and maintenance.
Many forum members are begging for the option of a barebones EV. I don't like the idea of too many luxury features becoming standard.

I agree with everything but the cameras and air suspension. Cameras are a nice convenience, but add cost and complexity that not everyone wants to be forced to pay for. I'd to see pre-run wiring, but would prefer an optional camera package. Air suspension is awesome, but again not desired by everyone and adds huge cost, complexity and maintenance.
Many forum members are begging for the option of a barebones EV. I don't like the idea of too many luxury features becoming standard.
To be fair... all the EVs out there are complicated.

But it WOULD be refreshing to have a bare bones model. I can literally hear the TFL boys just in the cockpit going, "This thing has manual windows. Manual seats. No steering wheel controls. It has no frills or gimmicks...

And I love it. It is simple and pure. I'm not in the woods worried about this setting or that configuration. I just hop in and go.

Unlike the Rivian that wants 13 inputs before I can get off the pavement, or the Hummer that's huge and heavy and feels every bit of it. The Scout just seems to say, I wanna go. Let's go somewhere."

All Modern cars have cameras. Not only are they invaluable for parking, and for having dash camera footage, but they have great uses for off road spotting too. I agree it could be an option, but at a minimum a rearview camera for parking....additional cameras for off-road spotting could be for the high off road package.

The reason I suggest air suspension is because EVs are very sensitive to aerodynamics. The air suspension allows for the most versitility in one vehicle. The ride height can be adjusted for every day use and then heightened when extra clearance is required..... personally I'll like spend 90% of my time on road but I don't want to lock myself into a"road package" where I'm stuck at a low ride height and limits my options for going off road.....but at the same time I understand that air suspension isn't the best and it adds complexity, more parts, and weight...so in the end this also might be only an option.....but the more I read the more I think this might not be good either

Last edited:
Couple of quick points on the above, with a R1T angle:

SPARE: The full-size spare is mandatory for the Scout demographic. This is something that I'm sure Scout will design-in. It won't be a capable truck for off-roading without a full size spare. There is a penalty for the spare (space + efficiency) but the trade-off is worth it. If this was a crossover, then no.

INPUTS: In the R1T, there is only 1 input to shift to DRIVE once you have presented a key (not 11 inputs). The drive settings are all saved from your last session or drive, so once you are in the car and shift to DRIVE, you go. It is very easy to change drive modes from the UI. You hit the DRIVE icon on the screen (1 tap) then select the mode you want (1 tap).

KEYS: Rivian offers many keys. 2 key cards, 1 wristband, phone keys (that can be shared with others via the mobile app) and the key FOB. The FOB looks amazing as a carabiner, BUT could have been implemented much better. It is very difficult to use at night. A single RAISED lock ICON on the FOB to lock and unlock the car would have been very helpful. That, or make it re-chargable via USB, so it could light up and be used as a mini flashlight also. That was a miss despite how cool the carabiner FOB looks

CAMERAS:
Cameras are great in combination with gear guard and for viewing the truck from different angles or off-road. The trade-off (at least for the R1T) is that when you leave Gear-Guard on, you do take a hit over time on drain. When at home or someplace safe, or if storing the truck and wanting to prevent drain, it is advised to turn OFF gear guard. Nice feature though, and implemented very well in the R1T. Fun to watch some of the people checking out the truck. I had a Harley Gang surround my truck while parked at a brewery for lunch once. The various reactions went from head-shaking to sheer awe.

AIR SUSPENSION: Again, very well implemented on the R1T with multiple ride heights. Works phenomenally well on and off road. Trade-off woud be for those that want to go to the extreme for true rock crawling on boulders & for cost of future service ( I would imagine) as noted above. For my use, and since I have no plans to go bouldering in the Northeast, the R1T checks every box. HWY use, sand for the Seashore beaches off-road, dirt roads or Class IV roads, or access to thru gaps or passes to ski in the freeze thaw are all no problem. I do have the added peace of mind of underbelly protection over the battery. I'm sure that protecting the battery pack will also be a consideration for engineers along with suspension. From an efficiency standpoint (and at least in winter with Hakka LT3's on 20"s, I have not noticed a significant energy efficiency gain between normal ride height and a lowered ride height on the HWY at 80 MPH. I think there would likely be some noticeable gains between the R1T's highest and lowest settings at HWY speeds over distance.

KEYS: Rivian offers many keys. 2 key cards, 1 wristband, phone keys (that can be shared with others via the mobile app) and the key FOB. The FOB looks amazing as a carabiner, BUT could have been implemented much better. It is very difficult to use at night. A single RAISED lock ICON on the FOB to lock and unlock the car would have been very helpful. That, or make it re-chargable via USB, so it could light up and be used as a mini flashlight also. That was a miss despite how cool the carabiner FOB looks
Pretty interesting. I had to look up a video on these.
The talk of a wrist band is what caught my eye as I had posted a similar idea earlier. https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/daily-driver-comforts.72/post-1141 I think it would be really useful if they could take that technology and produce wrist bands for smart watches (avoid having to wear a second item on your wrist). I'm an advocate for being able to carry less items in my front pocket.

I also posted a want for the phone itself to be a key, and to be able to share that key with friends/family similar to what was shown in the above video. I think a combination of all of these would be very useful and hope to see them as options on the new Scout! I also hope that each of them are used so that the Scout can recognize the driver and adjust all the settings in the vehicle as he/she approaches the driver side door.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting. I had to look up a video on these.
The talk of a wrist band is what caught my eye as I had posted a similar idea earlier. https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/daily-driver-comforts.72/post-1141 I think it would be really useful if they could take that technology and produce wrist bands for smart watches (avoid having to wear a second item on your wrist). I'm an advocate for being able to carry less items in my front pocket.

I also posted a want for the phone itself to be a key, and to be able to share that key with friends/family similar to what was shown in the above video. I think a combination of all of these would be very useful and hope to see them as options on the new Scout! I also hope that each of them are used so that the Scout can recognize the driver and adjust all the settings in the vehicle as he/she approaches the driver side door.
My daughters Bronco (assuming other fords too) allows her to remote start on her phone too. I swear I just saw a Kia commercial or something similar where they promoted unlocking and ignition control from your phone. I don’t have Apple Watch but my wife and daughter do and they both would love their watches to act as keyfob and ignition. Be it proximity or a wave by the handle to activate the unlock sequence

Reactions: Harris005
My daughters Bronco (assuming other fords too) allows her to remote start on her phone too. I swear I just saw a Kia commercial or something similar where they promoted unlocking and ignition control from your phone. I don’t have Apple Watch but my wife and daughter do and they both would love their watches to act as keyfob and ignition. Be it proximity or a wave by the handle to activate the unlock sequence
Proximity for me....all the Star Wars fans would love to be seen in the parkinglot "using the Force" by waving their hands to open the door though 😜

I am a little curious on the Rivan how the locking function works? My Silverado has a button on the door handle. When your fob is in proximity the button function is activated and simply pushing the button will lock/unlock the door. I use this all the time when getting out of the truck to run in somewhere. I don't have to get the fob out....I just push the button to lock it. I see in the video (previously posted above) that the door handles stayed out, and after the wrist band was put up next to them they closed and presumably locked the door. Say you are tailgating at a football game and are getting in and out of your Rivian's cab for supplies. Do the handles stay out? If they do retract at some point automatically, does the wrist band still lock the door if you were packed up and about to start walking to the stadium, or does the wrist band bring the handles back out thinking you want to gain access to the cab? Seems like a regular door handle (as requested from others on previous post) with a simple button would be a little less troublsome.

Last edited:
Proximity for me....all the Star Wars fans would love to be seen in the parkinglot "using the Force" by waving their hands to open the door though 😜

I am a little curious on the Rivan how the locking function works? My Silverado has a button on the door handle. When your fob is in proximity the button funcion is activated and simply pushing the button will lock/unlock the door. I use this all the time when getting out of the truck to run in somewhere. I don't have to get the fob out....I just push the button to lock it. I see in the video (previously posted above) that the door handles stayed out, and after the wrist band was put up next to them they closed and presumably locked the door. Say you are tailgating at a football game and are getting in and out of your Rivian's cab for supplies. Do the handles stay out? If they do retract at some point automatically, does the wrist band still lock the door if you were packed up and about to start walking to the stadium, or does the wrist band bring the handles back out thinking you want to gain access to the cab? Seems like a regular door handle (as requested from others on previous post) with a simple button would be a little less troublsome.

We seem to be headed in the direction of not using actuated retracting door handles, so some of what you mention will be less of an issue. For most Volkswagen and Audi products, when you walk up to the car with a key in your pocket and place your hand in the door handle, it unlocks. Conversely, you can lock it by touching an indentation on the outside of the handle (with the key in your pocket). For safety reasons, most manufacturers don't automatically have the car unlock by key proximity.

The existing VW/Audi phone app allows you to lock and unlock the doors remotely. It also allows you to remote start as well. These functions all work through a wifi/cell connection right now. It remains to be seen if near-field communication (NFC) where you can walk up and wave your phone or smartwatch to unlock the doors, will be a feature. I imagine they are working on that feature, but just not sure where that's at these days. I'll add it to the list of things to ask.

Proximity lock and un-lock is available for the Rivian but only through the app. If you have your phone in the pocket and the app in the background it will lock and unlock automatically. If you are running around your truck or garage and not using the truck, you have to kill the app to prevent random lock and un-lock events. There are also settings in the U/I for functions like illumination and illumination time windows for locking, and whether you open all handles on the truck for lock / unlock. Lots of configurability, but no touch activation on the door or door handles with the FOB in your pocket

I really like the proximity lock/unlock feature of the tesla....I've gotten so used to it whenever i drive my wife's car i forget to lock it when we walk away. I think often if there is a key fob it will make things more complex. I really like the tesla idea of having the keycard as a back up and having the phone as a primary key. One thing that would be nice would be something like the Ford keypad where you can lock and unlock your vehicle useing the keypad...this would allow you to leave your keys and stuff in the vehicle while you go to the beach or some other place and not have to worry about it.

Agreed, it works the same way with the Rivian, but only if you have your phone enabled as the key. If you walk away from the truck and your phone is in your pocket, it will chirp and lock once you are about 15 feet from the truck. The wristband was designed for the beach, surfing, etc

Agreed, it works the same way with the Rivian, but only if you have your phone enabled as the key. If you walk away from the truck and your phone is in your pocket, it will chirp and lock once you are about 15 feet from the truck. The wristband was designed for the beach, surfing, etc
A chirp 15' away would be fine, but my Silverado honks the horn twice if you leave the truck running and run inside....and it is not 15'. Nope it waits until you are right at the front of the truck to blast two honks at ya. I still jump when it happens 🤣

I really like the proximity lock/unlock feature of the tesla....I've gotten so used to it whenever i drive my wife's car i forget to lock it when we walk away. I think often if there is a key fob it will make things more complex. I really like the tesla idea of having the keycard as a back up and having the phone as a primary key. One thing that would be nice would be something like the Ford keypad where you can lock and unlock your vehicle useing the keypad...this would allow you to leave your keys and stuff in the vehicle while you go to the beach or some other place and not have to worry about it.
I despise the Ford code buttons. Design wise they look like an afterthought. If they could be more hidden I would like the idea. Why not a smooth, 2”x2” fingerprint scanner by the handle. Technology is all here and then it could be designed into the door handle housing. I worry about proximity without a “Touch the handle” scenario as Jamie had mentioned. Too easy to constantly open door. If you work from home just inside from your car and forget and now your car unlocks.
It’s like slow close toilet seats. They are fantastic to keep kids from dropping them down until you go to your neighbor’s house and realize they don’t have it and now you made one hell of a commotion. At least they thank you for putting the seat down 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors