Dealerships Are Dying

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
I've been thinking in another direction these past few days with regards to Scout being a ground up SUV manufacture....dealerships?? Scout Motors appears to be distancing themselves from VW, creating their own identity, and not planning to use VW's already established dealership infrastructure (correct @Jamie@ScoutMotors @Chris@ScoutMotors ?). On a national level recent talks of car dealerships dying off after the covid pandemic seems to be a real thing. Then there is the simple fact that who likes to deal with car salesman anyway?!?!? So, how do you deliver the Scouts to their new owners?
  1. Let the buyer come to you. Some would love this (as mentioned previously - watching their Scout built then driving it home https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/idea-cradle-to-delivery.48/ ), but fair to say most would not due to the distance. We would still hope to see it as an option for the buyer. It would also potentially help take some upfront expense off the initial purchase price.
  2. Carvana style - no dealerships, delivers to buyers driveway. On a mass scale seems like a logistical worry, as well as higher initial cost due to delivery fees.
  3. Delivery hubs - combines the two by drastically cutting down on drop off locations and buyer drives a respectful distance to pick up their new Scout.
Here is where my head wondered off too from there: What if you were able to create delivery hubs where people plan to pick up their new Scout that they ordered online, and look to not locate them in the larger cities. Rather, strategically place them between major cities, on major highways, within the range limits of the batteries. This can potentially encompass multiple cities within the Scouts range radius, reducing the required number of structures in comparison to the dealerships approach in every city. These locations are designed to not only be a drop off/pick up point, but a charging park as well that helps bridge the gaps of the nation’s current range anxiety. The charging park itself is open to all EV types traveling by, which should be an additional source of income for Scout Motors.

midwest map_100mile.jpg

Depending on where other charging locations pop up between now and 2026, Scout Motors might be able to look more at filling in the "off the beaten path" locations, which would hold more true with the Scout name anyway.....maybe selecting more of a destination, than a driving through location. A cool old downtown square with a local shops and a brewery that gives the passengers something to do while charging, or a scenic overlook that helps the world slow down just a bit while charging. Maybe a few of the charging stations within the charging facility are made to be a bit more challenging to access - "Scout Owners Beyond This Point Only" :cool:

For some time now I been waiting for the first group of investors that figure out the new era of an EV convenience stores that caters to a traveler that has to take the time to recharge, but is presented with a number of different activities to help pass the time. Things like: an indoor play area for kids to burn off some built up energy, or a bon fire pit area that kids (when accompanied by a parent) can purchase a smores kit, or a Scout Store area to shop and purchase Scout apparel and Scout Motor accessories :), or coffee/drinks served in an outdoor lounge type area overlooking a scenic view, or rent a picnic area with a grill and an included meal to grill so you don't have to bring the food supplies on your cross country journey, heck could even rent out rustic "glamping tents" with the overnight charger approach......if you're picking up on what I'm laying down here the possibilities are endless to help change the perception of the dreaded EV charge time. Each locations could have the standard activities that everyone would expect to see at each location as well as unique activates to that particular location, creating an urge to stop at other ones. It's taking the approach of getting away from the hustle and bustle of pulling up to the pump, race inside for drinks/snacks, and hurry back to get on the road again. Instead, realizing that if you are using rapid chargers you have been on the road for a number of hours and a break from the road isn't the worst thing for you anyway.

In the end the hope would be that an approach like this would cost less than the expense of dealership type structures in multiple cities, all while helping to fill the range anxiety void as well as create another source of income for Scout Motors. Not to mention this could be laid out to accommodate a Scout Community event meeting point as well, drawing in old and new surrounding Scout clubs.

Times are changing! Scout Motors can use this opportunity to resculpt a new norm of how buyers purchase new vehicles.....a better way! Car salesmen are the worst 😒

The one big thing to consider is if the scout will be serviced by VW dealerships/service centers. If scout will be apart of VW group ideally the vehicles can be delivered to VW dealerships and that could avoid the need for additional infrastructure such as a building, exclusive staff and other things.

I agree that times are changing and there doesn’t need to be so many facilities but if scouts can be serviced at VW service centers then that can eliminate the need for dedicated scout dealers/service centers…..and VW centers are everywhere.

VW themselves have already embraced the new technology of buying the ID.4. If you wonder into a VW dealer the dealer will charge you whatever they want to include mark ups. But if you order online the dealer is simple the delivery location and you don’t have to deal with salesman trying to sell you that premium undercarriage

Last edited:
Reactions: lni and Harris005
The one big thing to consider is if the scout will be serviced by VW dealerships/service centers. If scout will be apart of VW group ideally the vehicles can be delivered to VW dealerships and that could avoid the need for additional infrastructure such as a building, exclusive staff and other things.

I agree that times are changing and there doesn’t need to be so many facilities but if scouts can be serviced at VW service centers then that can eliminate the need for dedicated scout dealers/service centers…..and VW centers are everywhere.

VW themselves have already embraced the new technology of buying the ID.4. If you wonder into a VW dealer the dealer will charge you whatever they want to include mark ups. But if you order online the dealer is simple the delivery location and you don’t have to deal with salesman trying to sell you that premium undercarriage

I've been thinking in another direction these past few days with regards to Scout being a ground up SUV manufacture....dealerships?? Scout Motors appears to be distancing themselves from VW, creating their own identity, and not planning to use VW's already established dealership infrastructure (correct @Jamie@ScoutMotors @Chris@ScoutMotors ?). On a national level recent talks of car dealerships dying off after the covid pandemic seems to be a real thing. Then there is the simple fact that who likes to deal with car salesman anyway?!?!? So, how do you deliver the Scouts to their new owners?
  1. Let the buyer come to you. Some would love this (as mentioned previously - watching their Scout built then driving it home https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/idea-cradle-to-delivery.48/ ), but fair to say most would not due to the distance. We would still hope to see it as an option for the buyer. It would also potentially help take some upfront expense off the initial purchase price.
  2. Carvana style - no dealerships, delivers to buyers driveway. On a mass scale seems like a logistical worry, as well as higher initial cost due to delivery fees.
  3. Delivery hubs - combines the two by drastically cutting down on drop off locations and buyer drives a respectful distance to pick up their new Scout.
Here is where my head wondered off too from there: What if you were able to create delivery hubs where people plan to pick up their new Scout that they ordered online, and look to not locate them in the larger cities. Rather, strategically place them between major cities, on major highways, within the range limits of the batteries. This can potentially encompass multiple cities within the Scouts range radius, reducing the required number of structures in comparison to the dealerships approach in every city. These locations are designed to not only be a drop off/pick up point, but a charging park as well that helps bridge the gaps of the nation’s current range anxiety. The charging park itself is open to all EV types traveling by, which should be an additional source of income for Scout Motors.

View attachment 531

Depending on where other charging locations pop up between now and 2026, Scout Motors might be able to look more at filling in the "off the beaten path" locations, which would hold more true with the Scout name anyway.....maybe selecting more of a destination, than a driving through location. A cool old downtown square with a local shops and a brewery that gives the passengers something to do while charging, or a scenic overlook that helps the world slow down just a bit while charging. Maybe a few of the charging stations within the charging facility are made to be a bit more challenging to access - "Scout Owners Beyond This Point Only" :cool:

For some time now I been waiting for the first group of investors that figure out the new era of an EV convenience stores that caters to a traveler that has to take the time to recharge, but is presented with a number of different activities to help pass the time. Things like: an indoor play area for kids to burn off some built up energy, or a bon fire pit area that kids (when accompanied by a parent) can purchase a smores kit, or a Scout Store area to shop and purchase Scout apparel and Scout Motor accessories :), or coffee/drinks served in an outdoor lounge type area overlooking a scenic view, or rent a picnic area with a grill and an included meal to grill so you don't have to bring the food supplies on your cross country journey, heck could even rent out rustic "glamping tents" with the overnight charger approach......if you're picking up on what I'm laying down here the possibilities are endless to help change the perception of the dreaded EV charge time. Each locations could have the standard activities that everyone would expect to see at each location as well as unique activates to that particular location, creating an urge to stop at other ones. It's taking the approach of getting away from the hustle and bustle of pulling up to the pump, race inside for drinks/snacks, and hurry back to get on the road again. Instead, realizing that if you are using rapid chargers you have been on the road for a number of hours and a break from the road isn't the worst thing for you anyway.

In the end the hope would be that an approach like this would cost less than the expense of dealership type structures in multiple cities, all while helping to fill the range anxiety void as well as create another source of income for Scout Motors. Not to mention this could be laid out to accommodate a Scout Community event meeting point as well, drawing in old and new surrounding Scout clubs.

Times are changing! Scout Motors can use this opportunity to resculpt a new norm of how buyers purchase new vehicles.....a better way! Car salesmen are the worst 😒
Harris05 I like your thinking. Early on we had the discussion of “Scoutposts”- forgot who coined it but that would tie into your thinking. I also think getting them close to regional airports would allow folks to fly in. one thing to keep in mind is the trade in process and convenience. I think taking Your ideas and offering them as a delivery experience would be another direction, like European delivery with BMW. Hell, imagine someone flying in from Europe to get a Scout and experience the Midwest glamping experience. (Maybe a modern/vintage take on a Route 66 experience like the road cone motel from the movie Cars but not as cheesy). I think out of big cities and regional from a national standpoint would be cool but too far off the path might deter people due to time needed to get away to experience it. One other idea spinning/adding to yours would be to set up a group style delivery where one weekend a month you mass deliver 20-30 vehicles to a certain region and have a mini jamboree type event where people compare their vehicles and maybe do an off-road experience to learn the vehicle. Offer a sleep and stay package at local hotels and host a bbq or seasonal dinner (Octoberfest, 4th of July event, etc). As the brand grows you add the annual event along with past owners returning to show off classic and off-road modded versions like typical Scout group gatherings.
definitely a good thread topic you created for discussion

Service centers came to mind, and I too wondered if the VW service departments could be more easily fitted to work on them when repairs are needed. I would think these appointments would be less due to not needing the same level of maintenance that today's ICE vehicles require.

Reactions: Rustic_father
Harris05 I like your thinking. Early on we had the discussion of “Scoutposts”- forgot who coined it but that would tie into your thinking. I also think getting them close to regional airports would allow folks to fly in. one thing to keep in mind is the trade in process and convenience. I think taking Your ideas and offering them as a delivery experience would be another direction, like European delivery with BMW. Hell, imagine someone flying in from Europe to get a Scout and experience the Midwest glamping experience. (Maybe a modern/vintage take on a Route 66 experience like the road cone motel from the movie Cars but not as cheesy). I think out of big cities and regional from a national standpoint would be cool but too far off the path might deter people due to time needed to get away to experience it. One other idea spinning/adding to yours would be to set up a group style delivery where one weekend a month you mass deliver 20-30 vehicles to a certain region and have a mini jamboree type event where people compare their vehicles and maybe do an off-road experience to learn the vehicle. Offer a sleep and stay package at local hotels and host a bbq or seasonal dinner (Octoberfest, 4th of July event, etc). As the brand grows you add the annual event along with past owners returning to show off classic and off-road modded versions like typical Scout group gatherings.
definitely a good thread topic you created for discussion
Liking the idea of scheduled group deliveries and making it a Scout gathering event 😁

Matt love your input and ideas and all I can say is that many of them were under discussion already - great minds think alike! Scout hasn't officially announced anything yet regarding our sales channels. Chris and I are discussing ways to share things with the community without over committing to something that may or may not happen or giving away too much. Stay tuned and keep the ideas/suggestions flowing.

Thinking more on this but if group deliveries could work you could tie it to regional “events”. The big hot air balloon event out west, something near Arlington around 4th of July/Veterans day to honor vets, or harvest season in the Midwest for corn or wheat. Then sponsor a fireworks show or a hot air balloon with a live performance by a musical figure tied to Scout advertising. (Someone posted that scout in the thanksgiving day parade-another opportunity or maybe the Rose Bowl parade and get football fans out to CA). Living in Pennsylvania corn country is common for me but there are lots of people in big cities with kids who never experience a farm or rural life. My in-laws are in Montana on 6000 acres and I’d love to get out at harvest to see 10-12 mega combines running the fields). Tying it back into the heritage of Scout could make great memories for families and kids as a once in a lifetime vacation or a reoccurring family event. On this forum, 90% of our conversations go towards the heritage of this vehicle as an American product. These vehicles are about freedom, farming histories and family memories and making the delivery experience a part of that would be awesome. Then to return annually for your “home” delivery location or to another Scoutpost event would continue to build the Scout family. Then you tie these events back to the “events attended” tracking app we discussed several weeks ago and create owner timelines. Then using the novelty photo frame idea that was discussed you start your Scout family album of friends and family you meet at the events. Design the frame to do pop-up memories at certain dates and anniversaries-and as reminder of upcoming Scout events. Maybe as a return member you get the “secret” gift specific to the regional delivery location and then the merchandise at the local Scoutpost offers national Scout swag as well as regional swag and merchandise that is specific.

Another thought on this. What if you partnered with KOA campgrounds and did delivery there. People could stay longer if they choose but you could do “jamboree” delivery events and many of the campgrounds are within reasonable distance to major destination points. Depending on size of delivery group you could rent whole campground or just ‘X’ number of primitive sites. Provide the tents for buyers or locals could bring their own campers then pull them home in their new Scout. Most states appear to have plenty of spots so you could choose campground based on delivery radius. I know there is a KOA 15 minutes from Hershey, PA and a 2 to 2-1/2 hour radius would cover Half of Pa, parts of NJ, DE and MD. Just another thought

Another thought on this. What if you partnered with KOA campgrounds and did delivery there. People could stay longer if they choose but you could do “jamboree” delivery events and many of the campgrounds are within reasonable distance to major destination points. Depending on size of delivery group you could rent whole campground or just ‘X’ number of primitive sites. Provide the tents for buyers or locals could bring their own campers then pull them home in their new Scout. Most states appear to have plenty of spots so you could choose campground based on delivery radius. I know there is a KOA 15 minutes from Hershey, PA and a 2 to 2-1/2 hour radius would cover Half of Pa, parts of NJ, DE and MD. Just another thought
Interesting thought. Partnering would help with a startup infastructure. The outdoors theme of both companies aligns as well.

KOA.jpg

View attachment 531

At the Scout charging hubs, could the Scout itself be designed to be identifiable to the charging station? When a Scout pulls up and plugs in to charge; it knows which Scout owner it is and the charging fees go directly to that Scouts accounts information (owner has the option to upload which ever card(s) they choose for that Scouts account). This saves the hassel of pulling out the card and going through all the "enter pin number" or "enter zip code".....just plug in and go in the store.

If the Scout app has a family/friends structure to it, meaning each member of the family (or friends if you choose) has the app on their phone (aka keys to the car). Then the family member that is driving it simply gets charged to the card that is registered within their account, which could still be the parents card if so desired. Maybe this already exist, but it would be handy if the Scout app could send a notification when the desired charge percentage is complete.

Side note: a "discout at the pump" for Scout owners would be nice and would help draw them in. Maybe even a Scout points system to be used in the Scout Store??

At the Scout charging hubs, could the Scout itself be designed to be identifiable to the charging station? When a Scout pulls up and plugs in to charge; it knows which Scout owner it is and the charging fees go directly to that Scouts accounts information (owner has the option to upload which ever card(s) they choose for that Scouts account). This saves the hassel of pulling out the card and going through all the "enter pin number" or "enter zip code".....just plug in and go in the store.

If the Scout app has a family/friends structure to it, meaning each member of the family (or friends if you choose) has the app on their phone (aka keys to the car). Then the family member that is driving it simply gets charged to the card that is registered within their account, which could still be the parents card if so desired. Maybe this already exist, but it would be handy if the Scout app could send a notification when the desired charge percentage is complete.

Side note: a "discout at the pump" for Scout owners would be nice and would help draw them in. Maybe even a Scout points system to be used in the Scout Store??
Really great ideas there.

Really cool ideas being thrown around @Harris005 @J Alynn

"The "off the beaten path" locations, which would hold more true with the Scout name anyway.....maybe selecting more of a destination, than a driving through location. A cool old downtown square with a local shops and a brewery that gives the passengers something to do while charging, or a scenic overlook that helps the world slow down just a bit while charging."

I like the idea of using the Scout EV as a catalyst to get people out and off the beaten path a bit. It's idyllic to picture these 'Scoutposts' as unique destinations in and of themselves rather than a necessary stop to be suffered along the way to somewhere else. Sure it'll provide juice for the vehicle, but maybe there's more to it like a green-space for boon-docking (Think I-Overlander or Harvest Host). Depending on what they wind up looking like some could have their own unique badge/sticker/stamp that one could collect in a Scout Passport.

"Here's the keys to the rig and a Passport. There's a lot of America out there, now go see it."

"One other idea spinning/adding to yours would be to set up a group style delivery where one weekend a month you mass deliver 20-30 vehicles to a certain region and have a mini jamboree type event where people compare their vehicles and maybe do an off-road experience to learn the vehicle. Offer a sleep and stay package at local hotels and host a bbq or seasonal dinner (Octoberfest, 4th of July event, etc). As the brand grows you add the annual event along with past owners returning to show off classic and off-road modded versions like typical Scout group gatherings."

Having something like this as an option would be a good way of having an active community baked right into the product for those who want it. It's neat to think down the road it could evolve into a swap/meet and potentially attract aftermarket vendors. Maybe then I'll be able to find a SII windshield frame... haha

I have a number of additional ideas relating to destination and physical architecture. I told Jamie@ScoutMotors I’d send him ideas and sketches in a few weeks and maybe he will post once he sees them. Couple simple ideas are a cornhole area and maybe Adirondack chairs and a gas fire pit with timed shut-off. Almost a simplified, outdoor Adult playground-good for passersby recharging or a larger scale event for Scout owners.
I’m excited about some of the ideas that will create a new car buying/refueling experience

Another angle to look at this is: Company Vehicles. My current company gives me a truck to drive for work, and pays for the gas at the pump. Fast forwarding to 2026, that pump fee is now ran through my homes electrical bill. I would think that the Scout charging system that is installed in your garage could be set up in a way that it identifies that the company Scout vehicle is plugged into it (not another family members car trying to get free charging from that company) and creates a monthly invoice (possibly sent to the Scout app) that can be turned in for reimbursement.

Another angle to look at this is: Company Vehicles. My current company gives me a truck to drive for work, and pays for the gas at the pump. Fast forwarding to 2026, that pump fee is now ran through my homes electrical bill. I would think that the Scout charging system that is installed in your garage could be set up in a way that it identifies that the company Scout vehicle is plugged into it (not another family members car trying to get free charging from that company) and creates a monthly invoice (possibly sent to the Scout app) that can be turned in for reimbursement.
I think this can be tracked by the vehicle/account holder for the individual vehicle. This is a screen shot from my Tesla app, it tracks home/supercharger/free chargers and gives stats on it all. This is my statistics for this past year

Attachments

• 3FB4FD21-635C-433A-8196-0DF7C6D175DA.png
    3FB4FD21-635C-433A-8196-0DF7C6D175DA.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 7