Competitive Warranty

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

sambown

1st Year Member
Aug 23, 2023
Deer Park, Washington
I think that a good warranty is a must for scout motors. Here are some warranties from competitors:
F150 Lightning:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic
5 yr/60,000 miles powertrain
8 yr/100,000 miles battery

Hummer EV:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic
5 yr/60,0000 miles powertrain

Rivian:
5 yr/60,000 miles basic
8 year/150,000 miles powertrain/battery

The Rivian warranty is clearly the winner here. Maybe this was part of their marketing? GM and Ford are obviously household names, Rivian was (and still is) not, I am sure that warranty was enticing for people trying to pick their first EV. The problem with warranties is the waiting time to get into the dealer to have it fixed. I bought a used Ford Taurus, but added the warranty at the dealership (because these have a water-pump issue that requires the engine to be pulled, job costs $2k+). Last year I had an issue with the front suspension, and the wait time for the local Ford Dealership was over 45 days away. If my Scout were to break down like the Hummer EVs do in the videos online, and I had to wait a month and a half for it to be fixed, I would be upset to say the least. My wife probably more-so that we spent 60k on a truck causing us headaches.

My warranty on my car is through a third-party, called CNA. So I can go to any mechanic and they will contact CNA for the claim and payout. I like this approach, and it may be beneficial for Scout Motors if they do not have dealerships across the country and/or VW dealerships do not want/know how to work on them. Provide a 3rd party warranty where you can take it to any EV mechanic and they can bill scout motors.

Long story short, please have a highly competitive warranty for situations like the hummer EV's breaking down, which may help Scout people be more adaptable to the EV-switch. And find a way for people to get it fixed without having to wait for so long.

Reactions: J Alynn
I think that a good warranty is a must for scout motors. Here are some warranties from competitors:
F150 Lightning:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic

Hummer EV:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic

Rivian:
5 yr/60,000 miles basic

The Rivian warranty is clearly the winner here. Maybe this was part of their marketing? GM and Ford are obviously household names, Rivian was (and still is) not, I am sure that warranty was enticing for people trying to pick their first EV. The problem with warranties is the waiting time to get into the dealer to have it fixed. I bought a used Ford Taurus, but added the warranty at the dealership (because these have a water-pump issue that requires the engine to be pulled, job costs $2k+). Last year I had an issue with the front suspension, and the wait time for the local Ford Dealership was over 45 days away. If my Scout were to break down like the Hummer EVs do in the videos online, and I had to wait a month and a half for it to be fixed, I would be upset to say the least. My wife probably more-so that we spent 60k on a truck causing us headaches.

My warranty on my car is through a third-party, called CNA. So I can go to any mechanic and they will contact CNA for the claim and payout. I like this approach, and it may be beneficial for Scout Motors if they do not have dealerships across the country and/or VW dealerships do not want/know how to work on them. Provide a 3rd party warranty where you can take it to any EV mechanic and they can bill scout motors.

Long story short, please have a highly competitive warranty for situations like the hummer EV's breaking down, which may help Scout people be more adaptable to the EV-switch. And find a way for people to get it fixed without having to wait for so long.
My Ford dealer told me the independent warranty is good but they will nickel and dime everything to try to avoid. I’m sure it was a bit of a sales pitch to try and get me on an extended Bronco warranty. I just want to know it will be done in a very reasonable time with top quality

Reactions: sambown
My Ford dealer told me the independent warranty is good but they will nickel and dime everything to try to avoid. I’m sure it was a bit of a sales pitch to try and get me on an extended Bronco warranty. I just want to know it will be done in a very reasonable time with top quality
Yes the CNA warranty is difficult to get anything processed with. My front-end work last year took a lot of back-and-forth to convince them to pay out Perhaps it would be best if this were not a third-party process, and SM had a warranty/claims department for situations like this? I am proposing this option assuming they do not have dealerships that the owner can take the vehicle into.

Reactions: J Alynn
F150 Lightning:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic

Hummer EV:
3 yr/36,000 miles basic

Rivian:
5 yr/60,000 miles basic

Unfortunately the value of a Warranty lies beyond a simple comparison of published numbers. I wander through the Rivian groups on Facebook a bit. It doesn't take much reading between the lines to figure out that the dealer/service-center location (distance from where you live [or break down]) is a critical factor. Rivian has barely addressed this issue in any but select urban/suburban market areas. I have to drive my Toyotas 70 minutes to get service from an honest dealer and it kills half a day; Rivian owners report day long drives (or tows) to get to service centers; if the problem is complex they are in for a couple of nights at motels, etc. There's also the ongoing issue of parts availability, and the timely issuance of a Tech Bulletin to redress problems and provide service staff with proper repair instructions. Without a solidly established service plan Rivian's numbers are kinda meaningless unless we live next door, eh?!

As a R1T owner, I would disagree that the warranty numbers posted above are meaningless. They were a factor in my decision. I also intentionally made my purchase knowing that a service center was being built within a relatively easy drive. I would say service and warranty (although obviously connected) are mutually exclusive items for consideration. Hypothetically speaking, you could potentially have FORD service center everywhere around you, but see that you would have a crappy warranty on a new vehicle purchase, and then decide to buy a different vehicle b/c of the warranty alone. With any new entrant, a STRONG warranty can be an effective means to ensure new owners that they will not be left holding the bag on new tech or in the case of Rivian, and entirely new class of vehicle with an all electric truck. Rivian also has mobile service techs. I have had one visit my house. The tech lived in VT but was based out of the BOS service center.

One advantage Scout may have in the service center arena would be the ability for Scout owners to (potentially) take their Scouts to designated VW group service centers... Although not sure if that has been determined yet.

As a R1T owner, I would disagree that the warranty numbers posted above are meaningless. They were a factor in my decision. I also intentionally made my purchase knowing that a service center was being built within a relatively easy drive. I would say service and warranty (although obviously connected) are mutually exclusive items for consideration. Hypothetically speaking, you could potentially have FORD service center everywhere around you, but see that you would have a crappy warranty on a new vehicle purchase, and then decide to buy a different vehicle b/c of the warranty alone. With any new entrant, a STRONG warranty can be an effective means to ensure new owners that they will not be left holding the bag on new tech or in the case of Rivian, and entirely new class of vehicle with an all electric truck. Rivian also has mobile service techs. I have had one visit my house. The tech lived in VT but was based out of the BOS service center.

One advantage Scout may have in the service center arena would be the ability for Scout owners to (potentially) take their Scouts to designated VW group service centers... Although not sure if that has been determined yet.
I will add /hypothesize that even if you have a perceived great warranty the manuf needs to stand behind it when shit hits the fan. I’m not saying Ford’s warranties are anything better than most but jump on the Bronco6G forum and see how many issues people have had and how poorly Ford has supported the process/claims/etc…. I do believe it goes hand in hand but also truly hope the service centers they do create have top quality service techs as well because that makes a huge difference as well

Reactions: R1TVT and Harris005