Accessories / Aftermarket

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
A thread about accessories and aftermarket ideas to plan for, helping to keep the initial price down.

Example: a hiden winch pocket (possibly in front and rear for interchangeable locations) that exist coming off the assembly line. It is also already wired to plug in a winch. The winch itself is bought later on with an easy install because it's already wired for it.

What ideas do you all have for things you would like to see?

Reactions: TaconicBear
A thread about accessories and aftermarket ideas to plan for, helping to keep the initial price down.

Example: a hiden winch pocket (possibly in front and rear for interchangeable locations) that exist coming off the assembly line. It is also already wired to plug in a winch. The winch itself is bought later on with an easy install because it's already wired for it.

Making a wiring harness that has aftermarket in mind. One idea would be to run wires up to the top of the windshield to easily plug in some off road lights. Also being creative with pre-installed anchor points and access to the wiring for the lights.

Reactions: J Alynn

If not already installed, an area in the back that allows for a later install of a recessed lockable box. Possibly more than one location. This is useful for when the top is off.....because it has been determined their will he a removable top RIGHT! 😉😉 Could see the wiring harness running to this box to be useful as well.

Interior accent trim pieces that are screwed on with star or allen heads that can later be upgraded. Possible aftermarket style being colored translucent powder coated aluminum pieces.

Interior accent trim pieces that are screwed on with star or allen heads that can later be upgraded. Possible aftermarket style being colored translucent powder coated aluminum pieces.
Pocket area on center, top of dash that has mounting points for a bar that allows for gopro/Mevo/etc. type mounts. Pocket to have USB for charging abilities.

Someone recently mentioned a signature feature for the interior, akin to the small flower vase in the Beetle. It got me thinking about a photo frame insert mounted to the dash, where people can place pictures of their original Scouts. I plan on doing this in my ‘77 Terra with a picture of my Grandfather and his ‘76 Traveler. Could be a nice idea for the true enthusiasts out there

Someone recently mentioned a signature feature for the interior, akin to the small flower vase in the Beetle. It got me thinking about a photo frame insert mounted to the dash, where people can place pictures of their original Scouts. I plan on doing this in my ‘77 Terra with a picture of my Grandfather and his ‘76 Traveler. Could be a nice idea for the true enthusiasts out there
What if it were an electric one that held up to a dozen then you could change it out. Your old scout, your dog (or wife) or as an ID photo if Lyft drivers start buying Scouts ?

Reactions: RickHaney
What if it were an electric one that held up to a dozen then you could change it out. Your old scout, your dog (or wife) or as an ID photo if Lyft drivers start buying Scouts ?
I like where this is going. The more universal, the better. Could also serve as an anti theft element. All pictures are stored with the corresponding VIN, in a cloud that can only be accessed by the owner and manufacturer.

roofclipremove.jpgroofrackinstalled.jpg

My wife's Murano has the option for buying roof racks (bars) that are made specifically for that car, attaching directly to anchor points on the roof (see attached illustration). Was thinking something simular, but better, could be useful.

Few ideas:
  1. Placing anchor points on roof directly over roll bar, allowing for racks (bars) and other accessories (few ideas shown below) to be mounted on the roll bar with the same anchor ponts when the roof is not in use.
  2. Purchase option of roof rack (platform basket type) that is designed to mount to same anchor points.
  3. Purchase option of kayak holders that mount directly to anchor points. (plently of aftermarket types that clamp onto roof rack bars - only advantage using this system would be if it was faster/easier to mount than aftermarket types).
  4. Purchase option of roof tents that mount to same anchor points
  5. Purchase option of anchors themselves for owner to weld/bolt on any roof carring rig they can dream up.

View attachment 424View attachment 425

My wife's Murano has the option for buying roof racks (bars) that are made specifically for that car, attaching directly to anchor points on the roof (see attached illustration). Was thinking something simular, but better, could be useful.

Few ideas:
  1. Placing anchor points on roof directly over roll bar, allowing for racks (bars) and other accessories (few ideas shown below) to be mounted on the roll bar with the same anchor ponts when the roof is not in use.
  2. Purchase option of roof rack (platform basket type) that is designed to mount to same anchor points.
  3. Purchase option of kayak holders that mount directly to anchor points. (plently of aftermarket types that clamp onto roof rack bars - only advantage using this system would be if it was faster/easier to mount than aftermarket types).
  4. Purchase option of roof tents that mount to same anchor points
  5. Purchase option of anchors themselves for owner to weld/bolt on any roof carring rig they can dream up.
I would be satisfied if they just have good anchor points for Thule, Dakine, etc.

It has been interesting reading all the different suggestions thoughout this forum. We've seen anything from bare bones, plain to gizmo's and gadgets. I can appreciate all of that being a Scout II owner, as well as loving new cars with modern tech. It keeps me coming back to this interesting approach that could be unique, and fun, to the Scout brand:

• When ordering your Scout online, all of them start out keeping true to the original as 'simple and plain' and recognized as such with a brief history blurp. The new buyer only has a few options that must be selected: paint color, interior, hard top or soft top, etc. This is everyone's entry level, helping to keep it affordable.
  • Now here is where it gets fun. The new buyer can then shop the Scout Store adding as many accessories as they want to customize their Scout. Each accessory has two purchasing options:
    • Option 1 - give a price for that accessory to be installed at the factory and it arrives ready to use.
      • some items may only have this option avalible to select due to the installation needing to be preformed in the factory. I would try to avoid only having this option whenever possible.
    • Option 2 - price given is for the part itself (no installation labor) and it is locked in the frunk ready for delivery. Scout owners of today, typically enjoy tinkering and working on things. This gives them that option even in this new modern world, as well as saves them a few bucks. .......Shop Time, YES!
  • As mentioned in the above post, the prep-planning for these accessories is key. The knock outs, anchoring points, wiring harness and software are all thought out and in place for these accessories to be added. - one wiring harness is built in the factory for all Scouts/all accessories, saving production time in lieu of creating multiple types.
  • The new Scout owner can buy these accessories the day of their build, or slowly add them throughout the life of their Scout.
  • The Scout Store Wishlist page makes it easy for friends and family to know some gift items for you as well :) - to include apparel
Trim packages can still be used for different features and designs, but I would still say each trim package stays as plain as possible with all accessories added via the Scout Store.

It has been interesting reading all the different suggestions thoughout this forum. We've seen anything from bare bones, plain to gizmo's and gadgets. I can appreciate all of that being a Scout II owner, as well as loving new cars with modern tech. It keeps me coming back to this interesting approach that could be unique, and fun, to the Scout brand:

• When ordering your Scout online, all of them start out keeping true to the original as 'simple and plain' and recognized as such with a brief history blurp. The new buyer only has a few options that must be selected: paint color, interior, hard top or soft top, etc. This is everyone's entry level, helping to keep it affordable.
  • Now here is where it gets fun. The new buyer can then shop the Scout Store adding as many accessories as they want to customize their Scout. Each accessory has two purchasing options:
    • Option 1 - give a price for that accessory to be installed at the factory and it arrives ready to use.
      • some items may only have this option avalible to select due to the installation needing to be preformed in the factory. I would try to avoid only having this option whenever possible.
    • Option 2 - price given is for the part itself (no installation labor) and it is locked in the frunk ready for delivery. Scout owners of today, typically enjoy tinkering and working on things. This gives them that option even in this new modern world, as well as saves them a few bucks. .......Shop Time, YES!
  • As mentioned in the above post, the prep-planning for these accessories is key. The knock outs, anchoring points, wiring harness and software are all thought out and in place for these accessories to be added. - one wiring harness is built in the factory for all Scouts/all accessories, saving production time in lieu of creating multiple types.
  • The new Scout owner can buy these accessories the day of their build, or slowly add them throughout the life of their Scout.
  • The Scout Store Wishlist page makes it easy for friends and family to know some gift items for you as well :) - to include apparel
Trim packages can still be used for different features and designs, but I would still say each trim package stays as plain as possible with all accessories added via the Scout Store.
I like this concept but wonder what it does in an automated environment for factory production. I’m fully onboard with individual options versus stuck in a lumped package as I stated elsewhere. I am one who has nostalgia from first car at age 16 but I have little desire to do a lot of mods-maybe some simple items but no garage to work in (daughters coach has full garage with lift with some great muscle cars so I do have opportunity). All that said I live somewhere between base model and full pimped out vehicle but if the production lines could make your ideas work I think your ideas are brilliant. I love the wish list idea too. Would be cool if family has access to wish list and someone could buy an option prior to manufacture date so it’s installed as a surprise. Christmas is around the corner so would be a cool surprise for someone.
Also wonder if Scout could add preferred vendors to the Scout store for things like rims, lift kits, etc. with “preferred” pricing for buyers and forum members. Just some extra thoughts

I like this concept but wonder what it does in an automated environment for factory production. I’m fully onboard with individual options versus stuck in a lumped package as I stated elsewhere. I am one who has nostalgia from first car at age 16 but I have little desire to do a lot of mods-maybe some simple items but no garage to work in (daughters coach has full garage with lift with some great muscle cars so I do have opportunity). All that said I live somewhere between base model and full pimped out vehicle but if the production lines could make your ideas work I think your ideas are brilliant. I love the wish list idea too. Would be cool if family has access to wish list and someone could buy an option prior to manufacture date so it’s installed as a surprise. Christmas is around the corner so would be a cool surprise for someone.
Also wonder if Scout could add preferred vendors to the Scout store for things like rims, lift kits, etc. with “preferred” pricing for buyers and forum members. Just some extra thoughts
Love idea to build Scout Store with "preferred vendors"!

I really like that moveable winch idea. To be useful, though in off-road situations, it would have to be very openly accessible.

Reactions: Harris005