Wheel clearance

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

jttylerscout

1st Year Member
Nov 18, 2022
Wider stance would be nice for big tire upgrades I also own a 1977 traveler and the 18" added length is great.

Gotcha. There's just considerations there. Trails tend to need a narrower vehicle, and then local laws affect things too. I'm assuming this is why Ford went the add-on flair route.
I’m not a fan of the look of the flares on the broncos. I replaced my Sasquatch flares with the smaller ones. It does look better, but still not great. All of the early aftermarket options were ugly as hell, but I’m sure we’ll keep getting more options.

I think ford and jeep both use the easily removable fenders for the same reason. Just to keep it street legal while having a narrower body, but for off-roading, it’s a cheap and easily replaceable part. You can remove them off road, but if you don’t, it’s kind of a sacrificial part that beats replacing the whole fender when you f it up. They do keep more of the dirt and mud out of the cab when your top and doors are off.

Jeep has a ton of great looking fender options, but a lot of the ones I see in California wouldn’t fly in a lot of places. It’s illegal here too to have tires sticking out past the fenders, but nobody gets pulled over for it, so you see a ton of those tiny flat fenders on JKs and JLs. I’ve finally seen one nice looking aftermarket option for broncos besides the ADV fiberglass fenders that replace the whole panel and eliminate the flares completely. The ADV fenders look great, but the replacement cost is high (plus paint), and it’s a part that can easily get messed up out on the trails. I’d rather just replace a crappy piece of plastic.

I guess I wonder why something in between the Jeep and Bronco can't exist.

Imagine the Bronco, but about 4-5" away from the lip is a seam. This would be the removable portion with nothing bolted to it like wire looms or anything. They can be painted or left the black plastic. But they still continue the body line essentially. On a base model they wouldn't stick out at all. It'd look just... normal. Think of a base model Bronco. But then one could have increasingly more aggressive flares.