The Road to Scout Production - All the latest updates in one place...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
The opportunity to buy a piece of Scout history came up and Dick Rhindress' Scout fire truck that did duty at the Springfield IH factory has arrived in South Carolina. Scout Motors bought the fire truck and it will be preserved and on display at our future fire house at the new Scout factory in Blythewood, South Carolina. Look for it around Blythewood soon...

IMG_2483.jpeg

The opportunity to buy a piece of Scout history came up and Dick Rhindress' Scout fire truck that did duty at the Springfield IH factory has arrived in South Carolina. Scout Motors bought the fire truck and it will be preserved and on display at our future fire house at the new Scout factory in Blythewood, South Carolina. Look for it around Blythewood soon...

View attachment 1852
Jamie, this is awesome! Glad to see that this treasure will be at home with its distant relatives and soon to be new family members. I think I recall seeing this on Marketplace maybe over the spring of this past year. This will be a treasure and an impressive grab by SM.

Happy 1st Birthday to the Scout Community! 🎂

One year ago today, Christopher Stahl and I launched the Scout Community forums. Getting involved in bringing an icon like the Scout back to market is an opportunity that only comes around once in a great while. It was only natural that Scout wanted to place Community at the forefront of the brand since people are the heart of the brand. I couldn't be happier to be part of it and take our future customers along for the ride as we reimagine the new Scout.

As most of you that have registered here have noticed, you have "1st Year Member" status celebrating Scout Motors first year in business. Along with that status will come special perks in the future. If you know of someone that has even a remote interest in the new Scout, I recommend telling them to register before this coming Saturday to make sure they get 1st Year Member status.

2024 will be a big year. We can't wait to show you what we've been working on.

Was such a big week traveling and such that I'm writing this update on Saturday... :D

This week was another milestone at Scout. Chris and I spent most of the week in person with nearly all of our engineers and executives for one of the milestone product forums. These are major milestone meetings where all the various teams working on the new Scout trucks give updates on the current status of the project, have an opportunity to sit in one very large place and compare notes with other team members and receive hands on feedback from leadership. Basically a team huddle to make sure everything is moving along on time, roadblocks are overcome and adjustments to any goals are discussed, debated and adjusted if necessary. To accommodate everyone, this is held in a large industrial building where there typically isn't enough room for everyone, so it creates a great scrum atmosphere where you are working right next to the power train team one minute and walking past our CEO the next. I personally met over a dozen people in person for the first time - people that I've been working with virtually for a year now (yes, it has already been a year for me). The excitement is palpable and literally everyone I talked to intentionally wanted to be part of bringing the new Scout to market and is excited by all the possibilities.

Chris and I finding any space we could to collab on a few things:

View attachment 1827

Chris and I met with our new Communications Director and did some long term planning looking at our future factory ground breaking events, unveiling dates and more. Plus mapping out our community upgrades, content plans and much, much more.

In other news, next Tuesday, November 14th is our Scout Community 1st Birthday. Most of you here may have noticed you have a special status as a "1st Year Member". That opportunity to be a first year member expires on November 14th. We will allow a grace period through Friday of next week. If you know anyone interested in the new Scout I would highly (hint, hint) recommend you tell them to register to get 1st Year Member status as it will have perks in the future.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jamie
Next time y'all meet I'd appreciate you throwing this question to the assembled masses. The Legacy Scouts, particularly the "underpowered" 80s and 800s were known as some of the best snow plow machines you could have. Narrow tires to dig deep, low power so they didn't spin, torque to push big loads, maneuverable, etc. Wherever I show mine people make comments about how great they were as plows. Today all the pickups are too big and high, and too long to do residential plowing, and in fact many now simply cannot have a plow mounted because of the electronics. The guys with plow trucks are mostly driving 20-30 year old vehicles. So what vehicle is coming along that will handle driveways for rural homes, strip malls, gas stations, places too small for the dump truck municipal size plow and too big for suburban solutions like side-by-sides and walk-behinds? Can an electric ever do it. Is it a niche Scout Motors could ever reclaim?

Noticed that too. Great color
That Ford GT wasn't on the transport when it picked up the Scout, but a not inexpensive Audi R8 GT was. The Ford GT was the next to be picked up. The driver said it was special and worth over $1m, if I understood him correctly. (Google says $1.7m each for a production of 67.) Kinda made little old Fire Scout the ugly duckling of that trip. The driver seemed unimpressed with the fancy cars but had a old personal relationship with Scouts so seemed real pleased to deal with it.

Happy 1st Birthday to the Scout Community! 🎂

One year ago today, Christopher Stahl and I launched the Scout Community forums. Getting involved in bringing an icon like the Scout back to market is an opportunity that only comes around once in a great while. It was only natural that Scout wanted to place Community at the forefront of the brand since people are the heart of the brand. I couldn't be happier to be part of it and take our future customers along for the ride as we reimagine the new Scout.

As most of you that have registered here have noticed, you have "1st Year Member" status celebrating Scout Motors first year in business. Along with that status will come special perks in the future. If you know of someone that has even a remote interest in the new Scout, I recommend telling them to register before this coming Saturday to make sure they get 1st Year Member status.

2024 will be a big year. We can't wait to show you what we've been working on.
Amazing I’ve been on this forum for a full year already. Here’s to another great year

scout-columbia-office1.jpg

Columbia, South Carolina (November 16, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”), formed to craft the next generation of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, announced today that it has opened its first South Carolina office in Columbia’s BullStreet District.

The Columbia office will serve as the home base for Scout Motors’ growing South Carolina-based team while the company’s new Production Center undergoes construction in nearby Blythewood. Current employees will begin working in the office immediately.

“This office opening represents another exciting step in our journey to reimagine the iconic Scout brand and vehicles in our future South Carolina manufacturing facility,” said Scout Motors President and CEO Scott Keogh. “Scout Motors is committed to being a part of the vibrant Midlands community, and we look forward to contributing to the continued development of this dynamic region."

Located just one mile from the S.C. State House and anchored by Segra Park, home of the Columbia Fireflies Minor League Baseball team, BullStreet is a vibrant, mixed-use lifestyle district that reflects the authenticity of downtown Columbia. The Scout Motors office will cover the entire 3rd floor suite of BullStreet’s First Base Building, featuring multiple conference rooms, a training room, and workspace for more than 175 employees.

A 3D model of the planned Scout Motors Production Center will also now be available to the public in the Columbia Fireflies’ retail store inside Segra Park through Sunday, December 31. In the coming months, Scout Motors plans to open a public showroom in the First Base Building, where members of the community will be able to learn more about the company and its plans.

The new office comes as Scout Motors continues to ramp up local hiring in preparation for the launch of its manufacturing operations.

In August, Scout Motors announced the hiring of some of its first South Carolina-based team members, including future Chief Production Officer Dr. Jan Spies, HR Director Corey Epps, S.C. Liaison Punam Patel, and Wendy Bashnan as Director of Security & Fire Protection.

Current career opportunities can be found on the Scout Motors careers page. Potential candidates can indicate their interest in future manufacturing positions by submitting their information at scoutmotors.sctechjobs.com.

View attachment 1965

Columbia, South Carolina (November 16, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”), formed to craft the next generation of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, announced today that it has opened its first South Carolina office in Columbia’s BullStreet District.

The Columbia office will serve as the home base for Scout Motors’ growing South Carolina-based team while the company’s new Production Center undergoes construction in nearby Blythewood. Current employees will begin working in the office immediately.

“This office opening represents another exciting step in our journey to reimagine the iconic Scout brand and vehicles in our future South Carolina manufacturing facility,” said Scout Motors President and CEO Scott Keogh. “Scout Motors is committed to being a part of the vibrant Midlands community, and we look forward to contributing to the continued development of this dynamic region."

Located just one mile from the S.C. State House and anchored by Segra Park, home of the Columbia Fireflies Minor League Baseball team, BullStreet is a vibrant, mixed-use lifestyle district that reflects the authenticity of downtown Columbia. The Scout Motors office will cover the entire 3rd floor suite of BullStreet’s First Base Building, featuring multiple conference rooms, a training room, and workspace for more than 175 employees.

A 3D model of the planned Scout Motors Production Center will also now be available to the public in the Columbia Fireflies’ retail store inside Segra Park through Sunday, December 31. In the coming months, Scout Motors plans to open a public showroom in the First Base Building, where members of the community will be able to learn more about the company and its plans.

The new office comes as Scout Motors continues to ramp up local hiring in preparation for the launch of its manufacturing operations.

In August, Scout Motors announced the hiring of some of its first South Carolina-based team members, including future Chief Production Officer Dr. Jan Spies, HR Director Corey Epps, S.C. Liaison Punam Patel, and Wendy Bashnan as Director of Security & Fire Protection.

Current career opportunities can be found on the Scout Motors careers page. Potential candidates can indicate their interest in future manufacturing positions by submitting their information at scoutmotors.sctechjobs.com.
Baseball and beer. Can’t get much better office space than that. Hope you all get some work done on game days!!!🤣

drburkhard.jpg

SCOUT MOTORS HIRES CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICER

Tysons, Virginia
(December 7, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”), formed to craft the next generation of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, announced today that Dr. Burkhard Huhnke has joined the company as Chief Technical Officer. In this role, Huhnke will report to Scout Motors CEO and President Scott Keogh and will lead the company’s vehicle engineering strategy and team.

“Burkhard’s extensive experience with startups, EVs and the automotive industry coupled with his entrepreneurial spirit make him the ideal leader to help take Scout Motors to the next level,” said Scott Keogh. “With more than 25 years of experience, Burkhard knows the ins and outs of our industry and is focused on creating the next generation of smart, capable vehicles. I look forward to the innovative ideas he will bring to Scout Motors and our customers.”

Huhnke joins Scout Motors after serving most recently as the Chief Technology Officer for Fisker Inc, where he led the company’s global engineering and software teams. Prior to Fisker, he held the role of Vice President of Automotive at Synopsys, Inc., a chip-design company in Silicon Valley. There, he spearheaded the company’s triple-shift-left strategy, advancing testing, quality and performance evaluation to the early stages of the development process.

Huhnke previously spent 20 years with the Volkswagen Group, holding leadership roles within engineering and R&D. He initiated and co-founded the Volkswagen Automotive Innovation Center (VAIL) at Stanford University, where students pioneer vehicle technology with a focus on human-centered mobility solutions. Huhnke attended the Technische Universität Braunschweig (University of Brunswick - Institute of Technology) in Braunschweig, Germany, where he studied electrical and electronics engineering. He later returned to the university and obtained a Doctorate in optical distance measurement.

“I am thrilled to join Scout Motors to help revitalize an American icon and make history,” said Dr. Burkhard Huhnke. “My passion has always been to shape and share the next generation of automotive technology. I firmly believe Scout Motors will be at the forefront of that important effort, and I am excited to get started.”

Scout Motors has now hired nearly 300 employees, including more than 30 employees in South Carolina for the company’s new Production Center in Blythewood, near Columbia. Current career opportunities can be found on the Scout Motors careers page. Potential candidates can indicate their interest for future manufacturing positions by submitting their information at scoutmotors.sctechjobs.com.

Reactions: J Alynn
View attachment 2073

SCOUT MOTORS HIRES CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICER

Tysons, Virginia
(December 7, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”), formed to craft the next generation of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, announced today that Dr. Burkhard Huhnke has joined the company as Chief Technical Officer. In this role, Huhnke will report to Scout Motors CEO and President Scott Keogh and will lead the company’s vehicle engineering strategy and team.

“Burkhard’s extensive experience with startups, EVs and the automotive industry coupled with his entrepreneurial spirit make him the ideal leader to help take Scout Motors to the next level,” said Scott Keogh. “With more than 25 years of experience, Burkhard knows the ins and outs of our industry and is focused on creating the next generation of smart, capable vehicles. I look forward to the innovative ideas he will bring to Scout Motors and our customers.”

Huhnke joins Scout Motors after serving most recently as the Chief Technology Officer for Fisker Inc, where he led the company’s global engineering and software teams. Prior to Fisker, he held the role of Vice President of Automotive at Synopsys, Inc., a chip-design company in Silicon Valley. There, he spearheaded the company’s triple-shift-left strategy, advancing testing, quality and performance evaluation to the early stages of the development process.

Huhnke previously spent 20 years with the Volkswagen Group, holding leadership roles within engineering and R&D. He initiated and co-founded the Volkswagen Automotive Innovation Center (VAIL) at Stanford University, where students pioneer vehicle technology with a focus on human-centered mobility solutions. Huhnke attended the Technische Universität Braunschweig (University of Brunswick - Institute of Technology) in Braunschweig, Germany, where he studied electrical and electronics engineering. He later returned to the university and obtained a Doctorate in optical distance measurement.

“I am thrilled to join Scout Motors to help revitalize an American icon and make history,” said Dr. Burkhard Huhnke. “My passion has always been to shape and share the next generation of automotive technology. I firmly believe Scout Motors will be at the forefront of that important effort, and I am excited to get started.”

Scout Motors has now hired nearly 300 employees, including more than 30 employees in South Carolina for the company’s new Production Center in Blythewood, near Columbia. Current career opportunities can be found on the Scout Motors careers page. Potential candidates can indicate their interest for future manufacturing positions by submitting their information at scoutmotors.sctechjobs.com.
Welcome aboard! Interesting that Dr. Huhnke was recently with Fisker and that the Ocean is built by Magna.

I mentioned it before, but automotive companies utilize outside suppliers/partners all the time. Particularly in Scout's situation, where we started with no employees and needed to get this off the ground. Magna is one company we have a relationship with. We also have a large engineering/product/design team (getting bigger every week) working out of our Detroit office. We are building the Scout here in the U.S. in case that wasn't clear. I was just in Detroit a couple of weeks back with our entire engineering team, and they are an amazing group and excited to be working on this project. In less than a year you will all get to see the vehicles finally, and we'll have a lot more to say. Can't wait!

Jamie

Congrats to Huhnke.

Here’s a quote from Huhnke in his role at Fisker that might trigger some interesting discussion.

“So for me a car becomes a mobile device, it’s an IOT, it’s connected to the backend, it’s a piece in the cloud which can be coordinated, get’s new software updates continuously to keep the customer excited over lifetime of using it’s product”

Is this the right way to think about the Scout?

I would expect in 2026 that this will be table stakes for all OEM's with EV's, but cannot speak for Scout. One of the best things about my R1T is that it has actually gotten better over time with OTA's. This was a bit of a surprise to me as an owner, b/c in the past, my vehicles just depreciated and OTA's were pretty meaningless and much less impactful (or needed to be done at a dealer, so were not true OTA's). Rivian drive mode updates and U/I updates to the SW on my R1T are probably the most impactful for me. When we rec'd snow mode last winter, that was great (as an example). They also had an OTA with suspension characteristic changes, optimized for R1S. I think they updated R1T at the same time, but it was not really noticeable (at least for me), and the truck always seemed tuned well. Little things like Halloween mode keep the truck feeling updated and connected. Also a reminder that Rivian still has a lot of control over a vehicle that has already been delivered... That takes some getting used to - more from a philosophical perspective, but I get why this is a big advantage for Rivan (and for customers). On the subject, the biggest update I am waiting for (which was leaked a little by their SW team) is an update to the big screen to enable streaming. Yes, not a big deal when your blasting down a snowy rutted road, BUT it would be really nice when your done and you need to go from 20-80% state of charge at the DCFC. When you have 35 minutes to kill and your charging with the kids in the backseat, that will be a nice feature - especially if you don't have your computer or a tablet onboard.

Congrats to Huhnke.

Here’s a quote from Huhnke in his role at Fisker that might trigger some interesting discussion.

Is this the right way to think about the Scout?
I recognize that this may be the way of the future, but it sure flies in the face of the legacy of the Scout and earlier statements about honouring that legacy with low priced, rugged, vehicles that would fill the utilitarian niche and be adaptable to serious off-road (off grid, off net) use. We don't all live in the urban/suburban swaths of the coastal states; and even some who do have difficulty staying connected. My road is 4 miles long, it has two areas where there is no internet coverage, and for the rest there is but one provider. Yes, this is less than 20 miles from the capital of the state which if states were viewed as independent nations it would be the 10th largest economy in the world. Sorry Mr. Huhnke, this quote has given me further impetus to keep my real automobiles (Legacy Scouts) fit and running. Your quote aptly describes my new Tundra which I consider to be a 4WD computer with steering wheel, not a valid serviceable pickup; it is as close to your concept as I ever wish to go.

The thing about connectivity is that you don't need it to run the vehicle. You can still run any vehicle that takes OTA's "off grid or off net". Absolutely nothing changes when you lose coverage. It's the same as losing coverage in your legacy scout, Tundra or any other vehicle.

Reactions: oldgeeksguide
I mentioned it before, but automotive companies utilize outside suppliers/partners all the time. Particularly in Scout's situation, where we started with no employees and needed to get this off the ground. Magna is one company we have a relationship with. We also have a large engineering/product/design team (getting bigger every week) working out of our Detroit office. We are building the Scout here in the U.S. in case that wasn't clear. I was just in Detroit a couple of weeks back with our entire engineering team, and they are an amazing group and excited to be working on this project. In less than a year you will all get to see the vehicles finally, and we'll have a lot more to say. Can't wait!

Jamie
I’m not saying it’s a negative at all. Magna knows their stuff and if that means getting Scouts on the road sooner let’s roll!

Reactions: Bodie
I’m not saying it’s a negative at all. Magna knows their stuff and if that means getting Scouts on the road sooner let’s roll!
I did a test drive in a magna built Jaguar i-pace (I know, not an off road vehicle by any stretch). The ride quality was really nice, left me impressed with magna.