LED Lighting for the New Scout EV Vehicle

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I am going to hope that they create some circle style headlight that will be as true to the origional design that they can with taking into account any new / updated safety laws/requirements. Unlike most EVs Rivian has had some round and oval style headlights that perhaps might be somewhat similar to what we can expect from the scout:

Rivian SUV/Truck:
View attachment 572
Rivian EDV (electric delivery van for amazon)
View attachment 573
I like that Rivian and Bronco headlights have totally unique designs that immediately identify them.

Reactions: J Alynn
Rivian headlights stand out from a stylistic standpoint with a very bright DRL (similar to the F150 lighting). However, owners have complained about the snow and ice buildup around them. https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivians-led-headlights-are-giving-owners-headaches-in-snow-and-ice This is where something like the Smartheat lens would come in clutch.
Yes, any company planning to sell vehicles in the northern states and Canada must consider ice/slush/snow build-up on both lights and all sensors. Especially sensors which quit working, turn off features, and obliterate the driver's console with error messages. There's not much hope for the off-roaders and mud, but the Smartheat lens is a must for vehicles in the world of ice and snow.

LED should be standard in this day and age throughout the vehicle.
I also agree standard 7” rounds as even if the lights aren’t to someone’s taste, all JW speaker or Morimoto need to do is add a connector harness to existing designs.
UNDERSTANDING COLOR TEMPS and what KELVIN is... and how it effects NIGHT VISION... should be standard... but it's not.
Don't go waving the "LED" flag as a catch all / cure all...

That said.... hey @Jamie@ScoutMotors GO DRIVE THAT DAMN SCOUT!!!!.... and then let's talk lighting. Have the lighting techs make a 2 chamber 7" round led with 4800°K on low, and 3500°K on HIGH... THIS would be the cure all!

Reactions: TaconicBear
Just saw a new Audi commercial for either the Q3 or Q5 with new owner programmable LED and DRL patterns so it got me thinking about lights again. Thinking it would be cool to look at warm and cool colored lighting and adding a round and softened square LED borders with some adjustable patterns.
:) See my post I just made @ the color temps!!!!

UNDERSTANDING COLOR TEMPS and what KELVIN is... and how it effects NIGHT VISION... should be standard... but it's not.
Don't go waving the "LED" flag as a catch all / cure all...

That said.... hey @Jamie@ScoutMotors GO DRIVE THAT DAMN SCOUT!!!!.... and then let's talk lighting. Have the lighting techs make a 2 chamber 7" round led with 4800°K on low, and 3500°K on HIGH... THIS would be the cure all!

Absolutely!! I have had several conversations with my ophthalmologist about the colour temperatures, spectrum, and CRI of headlights and how it affects eyes and night vision. Much of his concern is related to the eye's recovery time after the oncoming vehicle passes and you are struggling to see in darkness again. Apparently the recovery time is very long for the high Kelvin lights, and particularly so for those whose diodes emit a lot of blue light. He was talking about recovery times of 15 to 30 seconds -- which translates to 1/4 or 1/2 mile at normal speeds. I gather from what he said that the eye doctors' national association had tried to bring this concern to DOT to get standards set to minimize recovery times. Anyone who drives at night or checks the offerings at the auto parts store knows how effective that effort was. Admittedly the technology of light sources is rapidly evolving and that's good; incandescent and halogen are still useful but energy inefficient, so LEDs will be the standard until something new is developed. Manufacturers want to offer whatever is the latest and that too is generally good. But when embracing "new" results in exceeding the capability of the humans (from 14 to 90+ years old) who drive these vehicles in ways that make us less safe there needs to be a standard that follows the science. We do that (largely through ASTM) for lots of other automotive details. I hope that SM will address this aspect responsibly when they design and source their "lightbulbs".

Absolutely!! I have had several conversations with my ophthalmologist about the colour temperatures, spectrum, and CRI of headlights and how it affects eyes and night vision. Much of his concern is related to the eye's recovery time after the oncoming vehicle passes and you are struggling to see in darkness again. Apparently the recovery time is very long for the high Kelvin lights, and particularly so for those whose diodes emit a lot of blue light. He was talking about recovery times of 15 to 30 seconds -- which translates to 1/4 or 1/2 mile at normal speeds. I gather from what he said that the eye doctors' national association had tried to bring this concern to DOT to get standards set to minimize recovery times. Anyone who drives at night or checks the offerings at the auto parts store knows how effective that effort was. Admittedly the technology of light sources is rapidly evolving and that's good; incandescent and halogen are still useful but energy inefficient, so LEDs will be the standard until something new is developed. Manufacturers want to offer whatever is the latest and that too is generally good. But when embracing "new" results in exceeding the capability of the humans (from 14 to 90+ years old) who drive these vehicles in ways that make us less safe there needs to be a standard that follows the science. We do that (largely through ASTM) for lots of other automotive details. I hope that SM will address this aspect responsibly when they design and source their "lightbulbs".

yup.

Is that similar to computers and why my glasses have blue light blocker coating? Or is it different from that. I’m in building and design and we always try to hover around 3000-3500k for LED lighting. Easier on the eues and keeps colors looking “warmer”
That is exactly why... also why I NEVER use LED (blue hue) dash lights... or anything else in eyeshot when driving that is not 'warm'. Try this... drive at night with a blue led in view, and then a red one... ignore them and see what happens to your forward vision. This is also why airplanes and military use red forward.

That is exactly why... also why I NEVER use LED (blue hue) dash lights... or anything else in eyeshot when driving that is not 'warm'. Try this... drive at night with a blue led in view, and then a red one... ignore them and see what happens to your forward vision. This is also why airplanes and military use red forward.
I knew red was better due to military just didn’t know if blue LED was same as screens but those are basically LED as well so assumed it was the same. Thanks for setting me straight 😀

I knew red was better due to military just didn’t know if blue LED was same as screens but those are basically LED as well so assumed it was the same. Thanks for setting me straight 😀
I laugh when others ignore me and just put non dimming (cold) leds into the BLUE gauge pods... urghh. It's hard to fix stupid.
I even tint the bulbs red that go in the radios!!

T'all FM radio-018.jpgTIGGER-AM RADIO.86.JPG

Last edited: