LED Lighting for the New Scout EV Vehicle

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

JeepingJames4x4

1st Year Member
Jan 3, 2023
We can’t talk about an off-road EV vehicle without talking about lighting performance. I hope the initial design has a standard 7” round Headlight that keeps the Scout brand's classic look. However, they have an opportunity to modernize the look and improve performance by choosing a multifunction LED light. This is where Jeep misses the mark by not making good lights a standard across all models. We’re stuck spending extra $ on aftermarket LED headlights/lightbars. Plus, LED lights will draw less power, adding to the range of the vehicle.

Imagine having something like this: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/jeep-led-headlights-model-evo-j3/ (even has a heated lens to melt the snow and ice)

Or they could keep the classic look without sacrificing performance: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/model-8700-evo2-classic-led-light/

LED should be standard in this day and age throughout the vehicle.
I also agree standard 7” rounds as even if the lights aren’t to someone’s taste, all JW speaker or Morimoto need to do is add a connector harness to existing designs.

I am going to hope that they create some circle style headlight that will be as true to the origional design that they can with taking into account any new / updated safety laws/requirements. Unlike most EVs Rivian has had some round and oval style headlights that perhaps might be somewhat similar to what we can expect from the scout:

Rivian SUV/Truck:
1672834749395.png
Rivian EDV (electric delivery van for amazon)
1672834797444.png

LED should be standard in this day and age throughout the vehicle.
I also agree standard 7” rounds as even if the lights aren’t to someone’s taste, all JW speaker or Morimoto need to do is add a connector harness to existing designs.
Agreed. However, it needs to be said that JW Speaker LED lights are far superior to Morimoto in design and endurance. Also, they are American-made.

I am going to hope that they create some circle style headlight that will be as true to the origional design that they can with taking into account any new / updated safety laws/requirements. Unlike most EVs Rivian has had some round and oval style headlights that perhaps might be somewhat similar to what we can expect from the scout:

Rivian SUV/Truck:
View attachment 572
View attachment 573
Did anyone see the news article about Rivian headlights not performing?

Reactions: JeepingJames4x4

Rivian SUV/Truck:
View attachment 572
View attachment 573
Rivian headlights stand out from a stylistic standpoint with a very bright DRL (similar to the F150 lighting). However, owners have complained about the snow and ice buildup around them. https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivians-led-headlights-are-giving-owners-headaches-in-snow-and-ice This is where something like the Smartheat lens would come in clutch.

Reactions: OffRoadLucy
Early on a bunch of us discussed the lighting under the original design thread. I’m a fan of the warm (3000-3500k) LED lighting and like a round full light headlight but the round halo look is played out. I think the DRL’s should be a softened square shape maybe with rounded corners. When the scout is done I want to know it’s a Scout from the front. Not wonder if it’s a Wrangler or a Bronco. Personally I hope the shapes stay fairly true to the original look. I personally don’t like the front end of the Rivian. For some reason it always makes me think of the Chevy as pickup during the phase when they rounded it all out and I just think that was bad design. Don’t mind the Rivian in general (other than price) but just always makes me think of that poor Chevy. Side and rear look good and I realize the front doesn’t look like the Chevy it just makes me think of it and I don’t know why. Guess I just think or like trucks and SUVs that are more boxy looking. Curves are good but too many and it starts to feel too futuristic and Scouts should be Heritage by nature, not futuristic-IMHO

Early on a bunch of us discussed the lighting under the original design thread. I’m a fan of the warm (3000-3500k) LED lighting and like a round full light headlight but the round halo look is played out. I think the DRL’s should be a softened square shape maybe with rounded corners. When the scout is done I want to know it’s a Scout from the front. Not wonder if it’s a Wrangler or a Bronco. Personally I hope the shapes stay fairly true to the original look. I personally don’t like the front end of the Rivian. For some reason it always makes me think of the Chevy as pickup during the phase when they rounded it all out and I just think that was bad design. Don’t mind the Rivian in general (other than price) but just always makes me think of that poor Chevy. Side and rear look good and I realize the front doesn’t look like the Chevy it just makes me think of it and I don’t know why. Guess I just think or like trucks and SUVs that are more boxy looking. Curves are good but too many and it starts to feel too futuristic and Scouts should be Heritage by nature, not futuristic-IMHO
Chevy SS pickup. Autocorrect got me again

Just saw a new Audi commercial for either the Q3 or Q5 with new owner programmable LED and DRL patterns so it got me thinking about lights again. Thinking it would be cool to look at warm and cool colored lighting and adding a round and softened square LED borders with some adjustable patterns.

Attachments

• Scout headlights.jpg
    Scout headlights.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
I think digital matrix lights are the way to go. The law was changed a while ago to allow them and the regs are currently being written. I think they will be taking over soon once the regs are complete and awareness increases, and it would be good to plan for that now. For those not familiar, they provide 1 million+ illumination "pixels" that can be independently turned on or off. This allow you to, for example, keep your brights on without blinding anyone - the lights just leave pockets of darkness precisely where other cars are. It's also the sort of thing where, if the hardware is in place, you can use OTA updates to add features, improving your product for new buyers and making your existing customer base happy. Perhaps a low-light-pointing-down mode for slowly entering/exiting camping areas without blinding folks. Or full-width-not-road-legal illumination when off road. Mmmm...highlight that deer next to the trail? etc. And, of course, there are the power on/off "look at me" animations for people that want to be looked at.

I think digital matrix lights are the way to go. The law was changed a while ago to allow them and the regs are currently being written. I think they will be taking over soon once the regs are complete and awareness increases, and it would be good to plan for that now. For those not familiar, they provide 1 million+ illumination "pixels" that can be independently turned on or off. This allow you to, for example, keep your brights on without blinding anyone - the lights just leave pockets of darkness precisely where other cars are. It's also the sort of thing where, if the hardware is in place, you can use OTA updates to add features, improving your product for new buyers and making your existing customer base happy. Perhaps a low-light-pointing-down mode for slowly entering/exiting camping areas without blinding folks. Or full-width-not-road-legal illumination when off road. Mmmm...highlight that deer next to the trail? etc. And, of course, there are the power on/off "look at me" animations for people that want to be looked at.
I like the ‘leave the campground’ without blinding-that’s a great idea. I’m a fan of matrix, obviously so thanks for posting the description for others on the forum. And since VW is a parent company the access to Audi’s established tech is a no brainer

Reactions: Harris005
They must have heated lens'. Must.

We were coming home and got caught in a blizzard. Visibility zero... until someone finally passed our 15 mph ass.

"Whoa! I can see!"

I pulled over and the stock LED headlights of our 2021 4xe weren't melting the snow and were completely blocked.

We cruised at 65 after that. Turns out the blizzard was just snow.

They must have heated lens'. Must.

We were coming home and got caught in a blizzard. Visibility zero... until someone finally passed our 15 mph ass.

"Whoa! I can see!"

I pulled over and the stock LED headlights of our 2021 4xe weren't melting the snow and were completely blocked.

We cruised at 65 after that. Turns out the blizzard was just snow.
Agree 100%.

Interesting video about new Landcruiser but take away I got was the front fog lights. They will be adjustable from standard color to Amber color. Since we’ve talked about headlights being color adjustable I think the idea of the fog lights is worth stealing as part of new Scout.
Also liked the discussion on larger wheel openings as much for articulation as for after market larger tires.

Reactions: LastDayScout
How about these H4 headlights meant to modernize old sealed beams, you can get H4 replacement LED's. Good retro look!

Attachments

• s-l500 (3).jpg
    s-l500 (3).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
How about these H4 headlights meant to modernize old sealed beams, you can get H4 replacement LED's. Good retro look!
Yeah-we’ve discussed these before. I’m sure Scout will design their own but consensus seems to be an adjustable LED that allows for cooler or warmer color to allow a retro look or modern look

Completely agree with all the LED comments and keeping to the standard Scout look.

Just my $.02 but have to add that Rivian's oval headlights look ridiculous. o_O

Reactions: J Alynn
We can’t talk about an off-road EV vehicle without talking about lighting performance. I hope the initial design has a standard 7” round Headlight that keeps the Scout brand's classic look. However, they have an opportunity to modernize the look and improve performance by choosing a multifunction LED light. This is where Jeep misses the mark by not making good lights a standard across all models. We’re stuck spending extra $ on aftermarket LED headlights/lightbars. Plus, LED lights will draw less power, adding to the range of the vehicle.

Imagine having something like this: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/jeep-led-headlights-model-evo-j3/ (even has a heated lens to melt the snow and ice)

Or they could keep the classic look without sacrificing performance: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/model-8700-evo2-classic-led-light/
Not only is getting the headlights important, but I would also like to see rectangular, orange blinker indicators just below the headlights, like originals. Same with true side-marker lights. I like what J Alynn said about making them warm/cool adjustable. That would look so cool to be standing outside of the scout, while someone was adjusting your lights and you saw the headlights, blinker lights, side-marker lights, tail lights all change in tone.