Diesel heater / range extender

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

mudhorn_trail

1st Year Member
Nov 21, 2022
Minnesota
www.youtube.com
A small diesel generator (5 gallon) can provide all the heat needed without consuming charge, and a byproduct of the heater would be adding a bit more range. Great for winter travel and back country cold weather camping. Could have an additional port to a roof top tent, ground tent, or camper. It may not be popular, but could be an add on option. Diesel stores well when not in use and is available in remote areas. Helps calm range anxiety a bit, provides all your heat without draining battery, and can keep batteries warm during extreme cold. Thoughts?

Reactions: enyhey
BMW tried that with the I3 but it wasn't really pratical, it added a lot of weight. It adds a ton of weight, complexity, and it takes up a lot of space.

I have seen people bring a generator with them if they are going off roading or going camping. this can charge a vehicle.

I would assume that a much better option is to simply have a larger battery pack that targets roughly 450 miles as a real life range.

I know range anxiety is real but take it from someone who has owned an EV for the last 2 years. it isn't nearly as bad as you think.

Edit: in addition i think VW group wants to stay away from anything "diesel" for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastDayScout
The idea of a generator heater is a good idea especially in the colder climates. However the complexity and weight may not be worth it. Although personally I would love a series electric hybrid design like that. It would lend itself to future development of hydrogen cell designs and would allow flexibility in more remote areas where scout lovers will certainly aspire to visit. Overall it would be a fascinating and rewarding idea to explore and potentially develop if the time and resources allow.

Reactions: mudhorn_trail