Scout Color Poll #1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Please choose your top three favorite colors (color samples below poll):

• Red

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Butter Yellow

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Bright Yellow

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Avocado Green

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bright Green

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Dark Green

Votes: 84 47.5%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 34 19.2%
  • Bright Blue

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • Medium Blue

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dark Blue

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • Blue/Grey

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • Aqua Marine Blue

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • Flat Grey

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Orange

Votes: 45 25.4%
  • Copper

Votes: 60 33.9%

• Total voters
I like colors named, linked to Desert, Forest or Gemstones. All of these would be modern metallic finishes. Desert Gold/light gold with silver metallic, Sage Green/light green with gold metallic. Forest Green/dark green metallic, Spring Green/bright light green metallic. Ruby Red metallic, Diamond Silver metallic, Sapphire Silver Blue metallic. Copper Bronze metallic, Medium metallic blue. Red, White and Blue Patriot edition. Regional color Editions. Solid colors would be retro. Robin's Egg blue, Fire Engine red, Bright Yellow, and Mint Green. No black or white unless cop cars. Just an idea.

Last edited:
I've seen this a few times now, and not sure what it's official title is?? ....maybe a metallic matte finish? Last nights Detroit Lions game reminded me of it again with their helmets.
1698785689320.png

This Toyota had that same sheen to it also.
20230224_125443.jpg

I'm kinda a fan of the look. I think Scout could make some unique colors with it. What's everyone else's take on it ( (y) or :()? FYI - above pictures honestly don't do it justice. Hopefully you have seen a vehicle driving around with it.

Reactions: J Alynn
I've seen this a few times now, and not sure what it's official title is?? ....maybe a metallic matte finish? Last nights Detroit Lions game reminded me of it again with their helmets.
View attachment 1807

This Toyota had that same sheen to it also.
View attachment 1808

I'm kinda a fan of the look. I think Scout could make some unique colors with it. What's everyone else's take on it ( (y) or :()? FYI - above pictures honestly don't do it justice. Hopefully you have seen a vehicle driving around with it.
I've seen the Electric Lime Green a few times on the TRD Pro (your image) and the TRD off road trim (my image). The contrast on the TRD Pro compliment this color very well, however I'm not a fan on the TRD off road-doesn't have the black and red accents.

I agree, those Lions helmets looked incredible. Hyundai and Chevrolet have an interesting color I think would be a good match on a retro Scout II build and possibly the upcoming Scout SUV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_171121_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_171121_Chrome.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231031_171349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_171349_Chrome.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Harris005
I don't know much about paint except that good paint jobs are expensive, and even if you don't get a fancy one the cost of the paint alone is a chunk of money. So it would seem to me that since we are expecting two models, one more of a work truck and the other more of a suburban there is an arguement for having simple solid colours for the work/off-road models and the fancier metallics and mattes and iridescents for the suburban market. If we are considering a reach out to the retro, the good old enamel 2150 Harvester Red and White Cap White would please me. Actually most of the solid enamel colours of the 80s and early 800s would please me in their simplicity and retro look. The paint manufacturers seem to have sold the automotive industry on the idea that we like muddy/dull colours like the Army Green, Stone, Clay, etc. I'm distinctly not a fan. If you're into copper (which I like) make it look like real copper does, all bright and shiny like just before you touch the solder to it. Nissan has done Cu correctly for a few years. I believe there is room for more metal look cars like polished nickel and a bronze, and mineral colours like cobalt, malachite, azurite, cinnabar. If SM likes the idea of mineral names, there are plenty that work for the lighter colours, but it would be harder to make them look like the mineral. There is nothing that speaks to both elegance of an estate car, fun of a rally sport, and the ambiance of camping in the forest as a solid forest green with a leather-tan top. Rivian isn't alone in having that in its introductory lineup. I see that as a 'must have' for my first SM Scout.

I don't know much about paint except that good paint jobs are expensive, and even if you don't get a fancy one the cost of the paint alone is a chunk of money. So it would seem to me that since we are expecting two models, one more of a work truck and the other more of a suburban there is an arguement for having simple solid colours for the work/off-road models and the fancier metallics and mattes and iridescents for the suburban market. If we are considering a reach out to the retro, the good old enamel 2150 Harvester Red and White Cap White would please me. Actually most of the solid enamel colours of the 80s and early 800s would please me in their simplicity and retro look. The paint manufacturers seem to have sold the automotive industry on the idea that we like muddy/dull colours like the Army Green, Stone, Clay, etc. I'm distinctly not a fan. If you're into copper (which I like) make it look like real copper does, all bright and shiny like just before you touch the solder to it. Nissan has done Cu correctly for a few years. I believe there is room for more metal look cars like polished nickel and a bronze, and mineral colours like cobalt, malachite, azurite, cinnabar. If SM likes the idea of mineral names, there are plenty that work for the lighter colours, but it would be harder to make them look like the mineral. There is nothing that speaks to both elegance of an estate car, fun of a rally sport, and the ambiance of camping in the forest as a solid forest green with a leather-tan top. Rivian isn't alone in having that in its introductory lineup. I see that as a 'must have' for my first SM Scout.
Some good points. Touch up on work trucks or trail rigs would likely be more of an issue with this type of paint....although I have heard an automotive painter tell me the hardest to match is white of all things. I would still say give the buyer the options to choose. You did give me an idea though. What about mixing the old with the new?....2150 Harvester Red Matte Metallic, or an Omaha Orange Matte Metallic, maybe a Matte Metallic Copper? Just throwing it out there for conversation. Not saying its for everybody 🍻

1698789249202.png1698789809913.png

Some good points. Touch up on work trucks or trail rigs would likely be more of an issue with this type of paint....although I have heard an automotive painter tell me the hardest to match is white of all things. I would still say give the buyer the options to choose. You did give me an idea though. What about mixing the old with the new?....2150 Harvester Red Matte Metallic, or an Omaha Orange Matte Metallic, maybe a Matte Metallic Copper? Just throwing it out there for conversation. Not saying its for everybody 🍻

View attachment 1811View attachment 1812
@Harris005. They are often referred to as matte oearl and several other references. They are beautiful Land Rover/RR offers several at considerable upgrade pricing. I’m told they are a nightmare to touch up/repaint when cars get damaged. My sister as a Hyundai (forget the model). They offer a similar pale grey/pine green and they actually make you sign off that you won’t take it through a car wash because of possible damage to the paint. That’s crazy in my opinion but if you like the look. A lot of info has been posted on the Bronco6G forum and most end up wrapping the car to get the look. But love the look. My ideal Scout would be a bronze/coffee color in matte pearl with white top.
Maybe SM will figure a way to paint the look without all the negatives to it

• Sad
I’m down for all the colors you suggested with the mineral names. Always been a British racing green with tan top fan but preferably on a jaguar convertible-the epitome of your description. Ironically I don’t think I want it on a Scout but it sure is a killer Classic combo. I still like Volvo’s silvery green on their SUVs. It’s a fresh take on the traditional forest green but as I hope we all don’t suffer from color blindness it allows us to all wish for variations of the 1,000’s of colors the world has to offer.

The irony-just saw this on Bronco6G

I still say kill the black, silver and white. For once those buyers can wrap their vehicle and give us more unique colors. That said I think the blue gray above and a mahogany brown would be better as Scout neutrals 😀
Also need a dark orange color-not for me but have seen multiple comments about orange
Otherwise I think these would all be great colors
I like the way you think. I drive orange vehicles, and think the world would be more interesting if we were all driving skittles colors instead of so many white, black, and silver vehicles.

@Harris005. They are often referred to as matte oearl and several other references. They are beautiful Land Rover/RR offers several at considerable upgrade pricing. I’m told they are a nightmare to touch up/repaint when cars get damaged. My sister as a Hyundai (forget the model). They offer a similar pale grey/pine green and they actually make you sign off that you won’t take it through a car wash because of possible damage to the paint. That’s crazy in my opinion but if you like the look. A lot of info has been posted on the Bronco6G forum and most end up wrapping the car to get the look. But love the look. My ideal Scout would be a bronze/coffee color in matte pearl with white top.
Good to know. Bummer though.

I’m down for all the colors you suggested with the mineral names. Always been a British racing green with tan top fan but preferably on a jaguar convertible-the epitome of your description. Ironically I don’t think I want it on a Scout but it sure is a killer Classic combo. I still like Volvo’s silvery green on their SUVs. It’s a fresh take on the traditional forest green but as I hope we all don’t suffer from color blindness it allows us to all wish for variations of the 1,000’s of colors the world has to offer.
Being an old British Sports car enthusiasts, I can appreciate the British Racing Green with tan interior combo! Agree it wouldn't be for me on a Scout, but thought you might appreciate this one. I saved it a while back because I liked its stance.
Screenshot_20231031_195624_Instagram.jpg

• Love

The main issue with matte paint is that you can't polish it to remove swirls or scratches - polishing it will just make it shine. So they are a bit of a maintenance pain.

One way to get around it is to apply a luster/matte paint protection film (PPF). This is how Land Rover does it on the Defender. Plus these self-healing PPF materials offer decent protection.

This is what it looks like on the Defender covering the stock dark silver:

548ed066_6a9e_4a17_ba3e_ae00fe196c8a_75464b648b4b37247fa8e115de77f491b73cf010.jpeg

I think the matte ppf is the best way to go for those who want the look. It probably costs less than a matte paint job and you get the paint protection for free.
Not one of the choices on the list, but I think metallic purple could look really cool. I’ve seen a few purple Scouts and they looked good and different.

I'm a sucker for bright blue. I love it on almost any vehicle I see it on.
I really like it too. We bought a RAV4 in 2017 in that bright blue; it really stood out from the crowd (of black, white, grey, silver). But next year every manufacturer had multiple models in the exact same colour. So I guess we should be careful what we hope for. I have the sense that that car manufacturers are not in the driver's seat in choosing colours; my hunch is that there is some "design group" (just like in the fashion industry) who "decides" what will be popular and the paint manufacturers pretty much dictate what colours they will be making. Why else would all the car companies suddenly be offering a dull army green this year.
Being an old British Sports car enthusiasts, I can appreciate the British Racing Green with tan interior combo! Agree it wouldn't be for me on a Scout, but thought you might appreciate this one. I saved it a while back because I liked its stance.
View attachment 1813
These are close but I think this Scout which I found posted in one of the Facebook Scout groups really hits that classic British Racing Green look as well as I have seen. I once had corresponded with the owner, but have lost the contact. I believe he just picked the colours he liked.

Attachments

• IMG_151482180074278.jpg
    IMG_151482180074278.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5
It’s funny with the matte paint. I saw Honda just released 2024 bike models and new colors and almost everyone of them has matte metallic. Couple gorgeous shades of green as well.
I saw purple mentioned today. Probably my favorite color-had a Chrysler neon in dark plum/purple-loved the color-hated car and sent it back under lemon law-no argument-just my options-I took the cash. Anyway, can’t decide if I think purple would be good or not but want to believe it would. I remember early 90’s Honda offered a silvery light purple/grayish kind of color. Always thought (on the Civic) that it was one of their best colors EVER. Keep wondering if a shade like that would look good on a scout as well.
Also agree that colors are trended by industry, just like in home building. Hope SM skips that BS and picks cool colors. New and vintage. Jewel tones are coming back in housing so will be cool to see what influence that hs on cars for next few years

Voted, I don't envy anyone who needs to choose colors right now!

My current favorites on production vehicles in no particular order:
Ford's tri-coat red
Jeep's bikini pearl
Reflex silver - I'd love to see this with a little more tint in the clear.

I think my favorite current color is BMW’s Isle of Man Green. I also really like Mini’s British Racing Green (not what I would call BRG because it’s metallic, but it looks really good). My favorite blue is VW’s Cornflower Blue-would look awesome with white Rallye stripes.