Top has to be white

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I thought I would like a white top on the Bronco but the ones I’ve seen don’t look good at all. I think it’s because of all the black plastic pieces where chrome used to be - mirrors, door handles, grill, bumpers, window edges + the big black fender flares. Classic trucks don’t have any black plastic. I would love for the new Scout to have chrome bits but it’s not gonna happen so I think I’d rather have body color hard top.

Color & material designers have a harder time matching colors across body paint and a completely removable top, since the top is both a different material and nobody wants it to get/show scratches easily.

If other trim ends up black plastic, it would be fine for the top to be too. Alternatively, a dual-tone approach with a light color for the top could still work (eg bright yellow or orange paint and a creamy top for a banana/creamsicle look, or maybe a white body with a vibrant blue top). I guess a manufacturer wouldn't want to be stuck stocking more than 1-2 colors for the top if at all?

For the trim, a matte/brushed metallic look might suit a heritage-aware vehicle while allowing for more flexibility in material selection. I don't think a chrome look or any kind of mirror finish would work out well in the long run.

As an example, look at the color selection on the chin and bottom of the rear bumper assembly of this Pilot Trailsport. It's like a crossing the looks of a metal bumper, metal trim, and the accent placement of chin + rear diffuser. Forget about the splitter-and-diffuser look and just focus on the metal bumper/metal trim aspect of the color, and it kind of makes sense. My biggest concern is that if it was used as more than just an accent color, the soft metallic look might feel even cheaper and more plasticky than black plastic, or maybe even look like Jeep black plastic fenders that turned gray after a decade of wear and sun

It would be nice to see what various colors of paint and trim look like in a generic boxy SUV/pickup color selector rather than trying to visualize it in my head. I feel like I would be totally content with a dual tone bright body/top with simple black plastic trim. I feel like lighter and livelier low/no flake colors will become popular in the future, and I want to see what that would look like with the usual black plastic vs other options.

2023-honda-pilot-teaser-1663165190.jpg

Reactions: J Alynn
I think if done correctly, a mix of painted silver metallic and chrome would be a cool approach but agree long term wear and tear would be tough. There are some nice metallic ceramic coating colors that would be an option. I agree with @Bodie that the heritage Bronco with white top just doesn’t work with all the black plastic trim. I think if full body was painted and a few chrome/metallic silver accents on grill and around windows would allow for a better look with white top. I’d also be happy if they could modernize the white fiberglass tops like the old Scouts. I always liked that subtle texture difference.
Side note-was at Ford dealer last night extending Bronco warranty. They had a Bronco sport heritage and as much as I like steelies on the wheels, the white painted ones looked terrible/cheap. Steelies should be a satin chrome look or raw steel look-white just didn’t look good and I SO wanted a heritage unit.

Color & material designers have a harder time matching colors across body paint and a completely removable top, since the top is both a different material and nobody wants it to get/show scratches easily.

If other trim ends up black plastic, it would be fine for the top to be too. Alternatively, a dual-tone approach with a light color for the top could still work (eg bright yellow or orange paint and a creamy top for a banana/creamsicle look, or maybe a white body with a vibrant blue top). I guess a manufacturer wouldn't want to be stuck stocking more than 1-2 colors for the top if at all?

For the trim, a matte/brushed metallic look might suit a heritage-aware vehicle while allowing for more flexibility in material selection. I don't think a chrome look or any kind of mirror finish would work out well in the long run.

As an example, look at the color selection on the chin and bottom of the rear bumper assembly of this Pilot Trailsport. It's like a crossing the looks of a metal bumper, metal trim, and the accent placement of chin + rear diffuser. Forget about the splitter-and-diffuser look and just focus on the metal bumper/metal trim aspect of the color, and it kind of makes sense. My biggest concern is that if it was used as more than just an accent color, the soft metallic look might feel even cheaper and more plasticky than black plastic, or maybe even look like Jeep black plastic fenders that turned gray after a decade of wear and sun

It would be nice to see what various colors of paint and trim look like in a generic boxy SUV/pickup color selector rather than trying to visualize it in my head. I feel like I would be totally content with a dual tone bright body/top with simple black plastic trim. I feel like lighter and livelier low/no flake colors will become popular in the future, and I want to see what that would look like with the usual black plastic vs other options.

View attachment 1586
I like the lower lip trim on this. I think the new defender did a nice job on the metal look too