Seating thoughts

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

J Alynn

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Wanted to throw out seating thoughts.
Since this is ground up can the rear seats Please fold flush with rear floor. Bronco has a 2-2-1/2” height difference and it would be SO much better if rear load area was all flush.
Secondly, since parent company is European can the rear seats be set up as 40/20/40 splits rather than 40/60. Gives so much more flexibility. I never understand why most Japanese and US vehicles don’t utilize. I’m sure it costs a few $ more but center loading is often all that’s needed and 4 passengers can still fit

We seem to be speculating on the bench seat in the front based on teaser image #2. I think that would be cool but maybe it could be adjustable. Wondering if the center bench seat section could be designed to flip and rotate (maybe with a scissor lift of sorts) or stay up to serve as armrest and/or for access to storage under the bench. Maybe 90% of the time it’s in console mode but when needed it flips over and down and bench is available. If your pooch rides daily then maybe it is in bench mode 90% of the time. Maybe center rear back has armrests to fold down or maybe it’s a contractor laptop work station, etc… Or maybe center section is fully removable and OEM components are made for various uses.

We seem to be speculating on the bench seat in the front based on teaser image #2. I think that would be cool but maybe it could be adjustable. Wondering if the center bench seat section could be designed to flip and rotate (maybe with a scissor lift of sorts) or stay up to serve as armrest and/or for access to storage under the bench. Maybe 90% of the time it’s in console mode but when needed it flips over and down and bench is available. If your pooch rides daily then maybe it is in bench mode 90% of the time. Maybe center rear back has armrests to fold down or maybe it’s a contractor laptop work station, etc… Or maybe center section is fully removable and OEM components are made for various uses.
My Chevy Silverado does something simular to what you are describing; it might be a good model to follow. The back rest portion folds down (typically left down all the time) and is an armrest, consol storage area, and drink holder. Looking at the attached picture, you'll notice that the seatbelt is attached to the backrest and moves with it. What is not shown is the additional storage under the seat itself. This would be nice if it was always locked, but push button worked if key fob was in range - thinking more for a soft top and being able to lock a few things up.

I like the idea of the laptop workstation (maybe as an accessory add on purchase??). The one thing I would add to that thought is to make it functional for both the driver and passenger seats. Now days with so many working from home I could see this as a useful tool. I know in our house, my wife now works from home, and there have been a number of times that she has worked from "home" (aka my truck) as we were spending the day on the road for traveling softball. I don't know much about EV's with regards to installing a 110 plug (again a plug-n-play accessory purchase), but this would be a nice feature to keep those laptops charged. Sounds silly to say, but keeping the cup holders functional while the laptop workstation is in use would be key.

chevybench.jpg

My Chevy Silverado does something simular to what you are describing; it might be a good model to follow. The back rest portion folds down (typically left down all the time) and is an armrest, consol storage area, and drink holder. Looking at the attached picture, you'll notice that the seatbelt is attached to the backrest and moves with it. What is not shown is the additional storage under the seat itself. This would be nice if it was always locked, but push button worked if key fob was in range - thinking more for a soft top and being able to lock a few things up.

I like the idea of the laptop workstation (maybe as an accessory add on purchase??). The one thing I would add to that thought is to make it functional for both the driver and passenger seats. Now days with so many working from home I could see this as a useful tool. I know in our house, my wife now works from home, and there have been a number of times that she has worked from "home" (aka my truck) as we were spending the day on the road for traveling softball. I don't know much about EV's with regards to installing a 110 plug (again a plug-n-play accessory purchase), but this would be a nice feature to keep those laptops charged. Sounds silly to say, but keeping the cup holders functional while the laptop workstation is in use would be key.

View attachment 574
We travel for archery and my wife works remote. I was thinking on site contractor approach but with so much remote working nowadays I think your thoughts are great regarding passenger work station of sorts. I give you a BRILLIANT sticker for the day, haha!

I know lately we’ve been seeing requests for bench seats. Not sure which way Scout is going but I want to make two requests
A-if you go with individual front seats minimize the bolstering -nobody will be taking corners doing 60mph so no need to over do it.
B-make the front seats wider than the Bronco’s. I’d love to figure out a way to make the center console a bridge design so footwell areas and seating space could be a bit roomier. The Bronco (and presuming Scout) is a narrower vehicle but try to keep the seating real estate for drivers/passengers/pooches and whatever else one might want next to them.
Still like the bench seat idea so long as something folds down in the center as an option at a minimum. The bench would certainly provide ample hip/seating space

I had a Silverado before my R1T and I enjoyed the flip down console also. Only 1 problem... When you flip the console up to add a 3rd passenger to the front, all the shit in the console goes flying around in the storage compartment. Trade-offs....

I had a Silverado before my R1T and I enjoyed the flip down console also. Only 1 problem... When you flip the console up to add a 3rd passenger to the front, all the shit in the console goes flying around in the storage compartment. Trade-offs....
The inside of the console should be made like a tackle box with different smaller wells with plastic lids you can add so it minimized crap flying around-total get what you are saying

Was looking at some sample for a project at work and stumbled across some fabrics that made me think of the old school Scouts. Thought about nice saddle brown leather and these plaid fabrics that caught my eye. Just figured I’d throw them up here. One is a little more throw-back and one is a bit more modern.
If nothing else I just want a great saddle brown leather that looks like it came fresh off a cow. Like if I hit the drive through for a burger I want to look at the burger and thank the cow for the eats and the seats. Leathers these days are almost fake looking. I want a cowboy saddle not a woman’s Prada handbag

Attachments

• Saddle leather.PNG
    Saddle leather.PNG
    239.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Light plaid.PNG
    Light plaid.PNG
    274.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Dark plaid.PNG
    Dark plaid.PNG
    226.9 KB · Views: 3
Was looking at some sample for a project at work and stumbled across some fabrics that made me think of the old school Scouts. Thought about nice saddle brown leather and these plaid fabrics that caught my eye. Just figured I’d throw them up here. One is a little more throw-back and one is a bit more modern.
If nothing else I just want a great saddle brown leather that looks like it came fresh off a cow. Like if I hit the drive through for a burger I want to look at the burger and thank the cow for the eats and the seats. Leathers these days are almost fake looking. I want a cowboy saddle not a woman’s Prada handbag
"Eats and seats" 🤣🤣🤣

Was thinking about seats again this morning as I got to see a heritage Bronco in person and realized, IMO the seat pattern is supposed to be plaid but looks like it was generated as a modern computer version and I think it’s too tech feeling and missed the heritage feel. I was also thinking of the original Audi TT that used baseball stitching like on a catchers leather glove. Then a few years ago did a 20th anniversary version with a yellow thread stitch that mimicked the original and looked kind of cool. Made me wonder if the seat inset, be it cloth, vegan leather (yes-I heard you @Jamie@ScoutMotors 😉) or real leather could have the plaid stitched on rather than a printed pleather or fabric plaid. It would be a great detail and colors could vary OR Maybe this is where the extra cost option comes in and stitching is set up as 6-8 color ways on 2-3 background colors. Or maybe it’s special for Vanguard/1st edition models?I mocked up an example-colors were just randomly pulled and it’s a bit exaggerated but thought it would convey the idea. Other thought I had was what if plaid stripes were subtle tire tread patterns. Maybe a bit hokey but just a thought as well if it needs to be a printed type approach.

Attachments

• scout-plaid stitch seat.jpg
    scout-plaid stitch seat.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3
One thing I like about my LJ is that I can get a sleeping platform in the back (since it is a 2 door, the front seats fold forward to give me almost 6' of room for a bed). Fold down seats I guess are good, but they take up space when they are not being used. My LJ has a removable back seat that is rarely in it. Unless I need to haul something large - the sleeping/cargo platform lives in it instead. I can keep tons of gear under it, and it has room for 3 large dog kennels on top (I feel guilty hauling my dogs in the bed of my truck - seems it is always either too cold or too hot.

Reactions: J. Sweat
For those who may want power seats (I know not everyone does) would it make sense to tie a SM app/remote start, etc… to also have a way to keep seat settings on the app so if it ever gets messed up you could pull up your preferred settings and control it through a phone app. Basically a cloud storage SM app for settings in your vehicle. Could also save music stations if you use them and anything else that might be electronic anyways. Just thinking if battery dies and needs pulled you often lose memory settings and seems it would be easy enough to load the settings to a storage app.
App would also be cool to connect removable speakers with a Bluetooth/app connection on phone so if speakers were removable and tailgating you could control speakers from your phone/music streaming device

Presuming heated seats will be an option we pay for, can SM splurge and add some heat into the seat upright portion. Many of the Scout fans aren’t teenagers and I know my back enjoys the heat in my wife’s Acura. Really nice during winter months
Keep in mind every minute of seat ( and steering wheel) heat reduces how far you can travel before recharging. Even just cabin heat is a tradeoff. Don't even think about AC. For max range you need to run with zero accessories.

Keep in mind every minute of seat ( and steering wheel) heat reduces how far you can travel before recharging. Even just cabin heat is a tradeoff. Don't even think about AC. For max range you need to run with zero accessories.
Fair enough but northeast gets cold during winter. Happy to have it as an option for those who don’t need it. With nearly every other SUV offering it as an option it almost has to be an available option

Heating the seat is generally more efficient than heating the cabin, so if you want to extend your range, you want to make good use of the seat heating so you don’t need as much cabin heating.

Heating the seat is generally more efficient than heating the cabin, so if you want to extend your range, you want to make good use of the seat heating so you don’t need as much cabin heating.
Good point. How much could be saved with a heated cabin delete

Or heaven forbid, VW reaches into the wayback pack and gives us gasoline fired heaters similar to the first Beetles

We’ve commented several times to bring back the slide heat panel the old scouts had and let the natural heat build from the battery sets push through into the compartment. I’m sure some sort of simple induction set up could feed the heat off the batteries and warm the entire compartment. And without an engine I’d question if a firewall is even necessary which would support the opening at the footwell

We’ve commented several times to bring back the slide heat panel the old scouts had and let the natural heat build from the battery sets push through into the compartment. I’m sure some sort of simple induction set up could feed the heat off the batteries and warm the entire compartment. And without an engine I’d question if a firewall is even necessary which would support the opening at the footwell
Did you ever see the Bollinger pass through setup that only got to prototypes? Fold down panels front and rear and you could haul 20' 2x4s between the seats.

The firewall serves as crush zone protection

Reactions: J Alynn