Scout Motors FAQ - Last update December 28, 2023

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Thanks for the FAQ. I am fed up with the dated tech and poor mileage in my daily-driver ICE SUV. On days I want to drive a basic truck for the joy of driving, I’ll drive my bright yellow Scout II or my Travelall.

On my next vehicle, I want it all. When International Harvester started the Scout 80, the brand was building farm implements and heavy trucks. The Scout was a gamble to build a vehicle that could appeal to their customers (farmers) that were buying surplus army jeeps. The revisions into the Scout 800, the Scout II, the Terra, the Traveler, and Travelall were efforts to change with the market, appeal to a wider market (“It’s not a car. It’s the go anywhere, do anything Scout!”).

I am glad you guys are taking on this difficult task. I have often wondered what the modern IH might have envisioned throughout the years as the “next Scout.” If I am honest, the Scout III concept was as dreadful as many 80s cars were. But you guys get to actually plan the next one. I know this isn’t the same company. I am aware that the Bronco and iD Buzz and other nostalgia-inspired vehicles make this a timely decision for VW to get behind. The difficulty you guys face will be challenging. IH fans enjoy being part of something quite different than the big brands. It is rather counter-car-culture. You have to balance these idiosyncrasies with the modern automotive public.

I am looking forward to it. I started looking at the options to replace my daily-driver, but nothing checks all of the boxes. I am trying to hold out for the new Scout EV. As I said, I want it all:
- Off-road capable (truly)
- Modern electronics
- Safe for the family
- EV
- If removable top isn’t an option, as open-air as can be

If someone can build an EV with good range (can’t charge on a trail) that focuses on capability, dependability, modifications, repairs, cleaning, and tech to support those features without focusing on luxury to justify cost, I would buy that vehicle without the Scout badge. Add well placed honoring of the Scout name in design and badging, and you’ve made a slam-dunk.

You’ve done one better by including us in the idea process! I am excited! Good luck!

Let us have first crack at the reservations, and I’ll hold on with my current SUV to get in line for a brightly colored Scout EV.

I want to know what kind of software they are going to use, I know VW is doing a collaboration with Chinese companies to develop the software for future VW vehicles. That would be fine for China but I don’t want that in my car, just too many security issues when you have to deal with a group that is well known for hacking to steal what ever they can download. I am hoping they use Linux, there are a few companies that are already developing Linux based software for EV’s. This could be cheaper for VW since it could be tax deductible and with more then one company contributing it could cut the cost. Also VW could take what already exists and modify it for their own purposes. It could also be even more secure because many eyes can find vulnerabilities and lock them down. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Bodie and J Alynn
I want to know what kind of software they are going to use, I know VW is doing a collaboration with Chinese companies to develop the software for future VW vehicles. That would be fine for China but I don’t want that in my car, just too many security issues when you have to deal with a group that is well known for hacking to steal what ever they can download. I am hoping they use Linux, there are a few companies that are already developing Linux based software for EV’s. This could be cheaper for VW since it could be tax deductible and with more then one company contributing it could cut the cost. Also VW could take what already exists and modify it for their own purposes. It could also be even more secure because many eyes can find vulnerabilities and lock them down. Just my thoughts.
Your Chinese phone just became very offended.

• Love
Reactions: J Alynn
Any thoughts on keeping the more squared off silhouette of the original Scouts on the new Scout? I realize it's not the most fuel efficient (or front glass friendly) design, but to many of us it's what makes a Scout a Scout. I suspect if you ask anyone who owns one of the originals they would probably tell you fuel efficiency was not the driving factor in the decision to restore them.

Reactions: J Alynn
Any thoughts on keeping the more squared off silhouette of the original Scouts on the new Scout? I realize it's not the most fuel efficient (or front glass friendly) design, but to many of us it's what makes a Scout a Scout. I suspect if you ask anyone who owns one of the originals they would probably tell you fuel efficiency was not the driving factor in the decision to restore them.
The Bronco is a brick... so it does not seem out of the question from a design/don't design aspect.... But look what RR did... so who knows....

1696732058247.png

Hattori -

Thanks for the long response, and I'll do my best to try and offer some perspective from my end, particularly on the automotive industry side.

I think when we talk about the original Scout (or any 40-60+ year-old vehicle), it is worth pointing out overall how much the auto industry has changed (yeah, I know, duh, but bear with me...). The Scout 80, like a lot of vehicles back then, had two doors, crank windows, very little sound deadening, no electronics, very minimal wiring harness, a non-insulated top, basic sheet metal prone to rusting, two-wheel (and four-wheel) drive configurations, 3-speed manual transmission, seats with basic rake adjustment, no modern safety equipment and on and on. If we attempted to build a vehicle just like the original Scout, it would not be competitive in the marketplace. It also wouldn't meet current EPA and DOT safety and pollution requirements. Plus, it would likely only appeal to 2-5% of the market at best.

Back-up cameras are required. ABS brakes are required. Electronic stability control systems are required. Multiple airbags are required. Side impact beams are required. Rollover protection is required. Small-overlap protection is required. Seatbelts have pre-tensioners. Consumers expect power windows, power/remote locks, quiet interiors that don't squeak or rattle, cell phone connectivity, security systems, seats with multiple adjustments, fold-down rear seats in multiple configurations, multi-speed wipers, HVAC systems that heat and cool quickly, and on and on and on. Over the last 20 years, the number of features expected and offered at even lower price points has grown 10-fold in some cases. Plus, the computers and electronics to run all of it are just part of the program. Techs must be able to plug in a laptop and run diagnostics, and the results need to go back to corporate so problems can be tracked and solutions provided. I think many of us take for granted all the systems, software, and hardware that are required in a modern vehicle - even if we didn't ask for a good portion of it. The industry before covid did an amazing job holding the line on pricing while adding 2-5x more features. That's the competitive market manufacturers compete in now.

When the Scout 80 was introduced, it was a better alternative to what back then was a stripped-out military Jeep. Until the Bronco came along in 1966, the Scout 80 was unique. Today there are numerous SUVs on the market and strong offerings from both Jeep and Bronco. They all try and match each other's competitive sets, and the result is similar specs and features at the end of the day. It is challenging to differentiate your product today. Because so many basic features are standard on many vehicles, you start getting into expensive unique features like 4-wheel steering and such to try and make your product different. And at the same time, adding complexity and cost as well. Or you try and capture unique software features that no one offers. Either way, it is a lot more difficult in today's marketplace to differentiate your product, and often you only have that advantage for a short time till your competitor offers it as well.

Having said that, we think the new Scout will be different and stand on its own merits. We've said it won't use any existing VW Group EV platform, so you should assume that means good things. There will be new technology unique to Scout specifications. We said it would be rugged, and we will back that claim up. It also has to be competitive in the marketplace, and we know that we can't make everyone happy. But we plan to offer both base value versions and a variety of trim levels at different price points to hopefully offer people what they want.

While from the outside, it may seem like things have been quiet lately, I can tell you that there is a TON going on behind the scenes. Our factory location will be announced soon. We are working with suppliers to finalize contracts on certain pieces, and once that's done, we should be able to share some technical details as well. Our hope is to have a deep dive in a few months on the technical specs underneath the body. The design team is finalizing the concept designs, and work has started on building the first concepts. You will see the concepts later on in the year and we are hoping to invite many of you to come to see them. We will also likely be touring with the concepts as well, so stay tuned. We still have many details to hammer out, but Chris and I remain excited by everything we've seen and heard behind the scenes so far. Thanks for your continued patience and we're looking forward to the journey.

- Jamie
Love it! There's a whole new generation of drivers whose expectations and "basics" have also changed since 1980. I believe Scout is going to do fantastic things with marrying the best parts of the past with the Scout legacy, that we're going to love. 🥰 It's awesome that you're giving everyone this space for feedback and discussion. Can't wait to see the grand reveal!

Last edited:
Below is our Scout Motors FAQ to make it easier to look at the latest information and commonly asked questions. If you see an answer below, that is the official answer for now as we are still a ways out on a large number of decisions. We will update this FAQ and reflect the date of the changes as well as things progress.

SCOUT MOTORS FAQ - Last update: December 7, 2023

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY A NEW SCOUT VEHICLE?

A: We are currently (December 2023) in the early stages of starting a new automotive company. There are numerous moving pieces that need to come together before we can start building vehicles. That said, we are already making quite a bit of progress, and we aim to start production at the end of 2026. We will debut both of our initial models in the 3rd quarter of 2024 and reservations can be made around the same time. Between now and then, keep an eye out for more teasers, easter eggs, early concepts, business announcements, community visits, events, and much more. We also hope to share numerous behind-the-scenes stories with you and offer some forum-exclusive swag, so stay tuned.

Q: WHAT SCOUT MODELS ARE PLANNED AT THIS POINT?

A: Our current plans include a rugged SUV and pickup truck that live up to the Scout name. Our goal is to ensure they are capable and tough and offer everything you’d expect in a modern vehicle at a price that won’t break the bank. All our vehicles will be fully electric (BEV) when they are introduced.

Q: WHY FULLY ELECTRIC?

A: The electrification of transportation isn’t new, and it isn’t limited to just the United States. This is a global movement in the transportation world. More research is being spent on battery technology than ever before. With more and more of our everyday items utilizing batteries, the push to make batteries more efficient is the future. These are exciting times in the automotive industry.

We’re in a unique position where we have the backing of a major automotive group and the freedom to build these vehicles from the ground up. Without any existing internal combustion engine (ICE) production for Scout vehicles, we have a blank slate to build from. This will allow us to dive head-on into BEV production from the start without the burden of transitioning over from ICE. We have the opportunity to build, from the dirt up, the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, and we aren't not messing around.

Q: IS SCOUT PART OF VOLKSWAGEN?

A: In September 2022, Scout became the next great American startup when it was officially incorporated in Delaware. Though an independent company, Scout is backed by Volkswagen Group. This provides Scout with the vehicle and production engineering expertise to quickly ramp production of high quality vehicles while also allowing the creativity and agility that an entrepreneurial company needs to thrive. Scout will focus on one thing – bringing a new generation of Scout vehicles to market that are a worthy and modern successor to original Scout, and forging the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs.

Q: WHERE WILL THE NEW SCOUT VEHICLES BE BUILT?

A: The all-new Scout will be proudly made in America in Columbia, South Carolina. This decision solidifies a $2B investment in US manufacturing, the creation of 4,000 or more permanent jobs, and the potential to produce 200,000 or more Scouts annually when operating at full capacity. You can read the full press release HERE.

Q: WHAT BATTERY SIZE WILL YOU USE IN YOUR VEHICLES?

A: We will announce that as soon as we have settled on the final specifications.

Q: HOW MANY ELECTRIC MOTORS WILL YOU USE?

A: That will be announced when the final specifications are ready.

Q: WILL YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLATFORM BE BASED ON AN EXISTING EV PLATFORM?

A: No. The new Scout vehicles are getting a new BEV platform designed specifically for these vehicles, allowing us to make them rugged, capable, and bespoke to their purpose. The new Scouts will utilize an all-new ladder-frame chassis as a committment to build a proper offroad, durable and capable vehicle.

Q: WHAT SIZE WILL THE NEW SCOUT SUVS AND PICKUP TRUCKS BE?

A: We are still finalizing specs, but they will be competitive with other SUVs and pickup trucks in the market.

Q: WILL THERE BE A TWO-DOOR AND A FOUR-DOOR VERSION?

A: At the moment, Scout is only planning for the production of 4-door SUVs and trucks.

Q: WILL THE ROOF BE REMOVABLE?

A: We’ve had everything on the table as we’ve worked through numerous design iterations and squared our concepts with regulatory and safety requirements. This will continue to evolve as we get feedback from consumer product clinics and surveys. Scout’s original DNA is important to us, and in some form or fashion, you’re going to see this in the product.

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO PLACE AN ORDER/RESERVATION?

A: Shortly after we debut the Scout concepts in mid-2024, we plan to offer a reservation system.

Q: ARE THERE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AT SCOUT MOTORS?

A: Of course! We are actively recruiting, growing quickly, and regularly post our open positions here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/scoutmotors.

Q: CAN I GIVE INPUT?

A: Absolutely! You can do it directly in our Scout Community Forums (https://scoutmotors.community.forum). Car companies rarely set up their own community platforms seeking input on new products. We believe transparency is a good thing, and interacting with our potential customers during the development of a brand-new car company is genuinely unique. We encourage you to follow along on this journey and give us feedback along the way.