Scout EV - Grille Inspiration (Compilation)

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

tetchema

1st Year Member
Jun 7, 2023
Allen, TX
Look no further than the 1974 International Harvester Travelall and Early 70's D-Series Truck!!!!

Not too exorbitant, but still simple and classic.
101518-1975-International-Travelall-1.jpg
You can see curved leading edge of the hood that inspired the "Bullnose" F-150 of the 1980's.
red-f150-front-630x390.jpg

The outward center protrusion provides some depth. (I love the Scout II, but the flat grille has always bugged me. I think it should have had some of this front treatment on the original)
1974_or_75_IHC_150_Eight.jpg

Im a sucker for quad square headlamps, so i had to throw in a Datsun 720 for consideration
1981-Datsun-720-front.jpg

Attachments

• 3942369-48608-1969-international-harvester-travelall.jpg
    3942369-48608-1969-international-harvester-travelall.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 101518-1975-International-Travelall-1.jpg
    101518-1975-International-Travelall-1.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1200px-1975_International_Travelall_Custom_150_(28038304086).jpg
    1200px-1975_International_Travelall_Custom_150_(28038304086).jpg
    308 KB · Views: 2
  • 1974-international-travelall-for-sale-04.jpeg
    1974-international-travelall-for-sale-04.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 4247766926_4d64a15c34_b.jpg
    4247766926_4d64a15c34_b.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1974-international-harvester-d-100-travelall-1.jpg
    1974-international-harvester-d-100-travelall-1.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 3
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 1974-international-travelall-for-sale-11.jpeg
    1974-international-travelall-for-sale-11.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 4
Scout II Grills.jpeg

Grills A/C/D and Potentially B & E Grills could all double as the front of a pullout Frunk. Grill only is about 10" tall but could be made slightly taller if wider wheels were in mind. I suppose if the headlights had enough wiring length built in F could also work.

Reactions: tetchema
View attachment 2027

Grills A/C/D and Potentially B & E Grills could all double as the front of a pullout Frunk. Grill only is about 10" tall but could be made slightly taller if wider wheels were in mind. I suppose if the headlights had enough wiring length built in F could also work.
ince I’ve admitted I’m new to EV’s I have no idea what is or isn’t needed mechanically in the “Frunk” but I’ve seen several requests for the hood to hinge at front like the original. I personally think the concept is cool but practicality is tough. Depending on how the frame of the SUV is built and also factoring in the swapable front grills, could the front face of the vehicle be built like a tailgate as well (see sketch). This would allow daily grocery shopping or medium sized coolers to slide in making the space more user friendly. I suspect front end collision protection will greatly impact this but is it possible?. Also thinking back to the Bollinger SUV and Pickup concepts that allowed 16’ long 2x’s to be through loaded at the floor level through the center. Just thinking!
If possible you would then have a front and rear tailgate depending on which direction you park-kids on one and adults on the other.

Attachments​

• Scout hood.jpg
    Scout hood.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
  • This was a thought I had awhile ago and later also added a slide out tray idea but can’t find it now. I think it’s a great solution and way to use the frunk and still manage spare tire storage.

Reactions: tetchema
Found the other sketch. I think SM could figure this out and would be a whole new way of doing tire storage or pull tire and load some coolers

Attachments

• Scout frunk tire.PNG
    Scout frunk tire.PNG
    231 KB · Views: 4
Still don't understand why the grill needs to fold down when the grill could just be the drawer handles with the release levers behind the bars. Would maximize drawer depth. How far down will the grill drop before hitting a winch or other accessory. can you stand on the folded down grill? Leave it vertical and have it come out with the drawer. Just my $0.02.

Drawer Frunk Concept.jpg
  • Drawer could still be accessible from the top not dropping the tray.
  • Hood could still be made available for items with less depth and weigh less (traction boards, snow chains, sandy beach chairs.)

Reactions: J Alynn
Still don't understand why the grill needs to fold down when the grill could just be the drawer handles with the release levers behind the bars. Would maximize drawer depth. How far down will the grill drop before hitting a winch or other accessory. can you stand on the folded down grill? Leave it vertical and have it come out with the drawer. Just my $0.02.

View attachment 2029
  • Drawer could still be accessible from the top not dropping the tray.
  • Hood could still be made available for items with less depth and weigh less (traction boards, snow chains, sandy beach chairs.)
Point taken. I am now wondering in either scenario what happens in a full, head on collision? Still think it’s a valid start to a great solution but guess there would need to be some “caging” where the tradition firewall would normally be to prevent a spare tire from crushing font passenger(s). I’m sure there could be a solve for that too

For sure. I think the drawer would have to be above the bumper or at least independent of it. head on impact could potentially trigger a drop in the drawer maybe not completely but enough to catty wompus the spare.... I think with crumple zones the spare can be safely driven below the passenger compartment....as in modern vehicles with engines that weigh much more. Going back to the grill dropping down, both concepts could be combined with the function of the dropped grill (attached to the drawer could serve as a slotted (due to the grill) table top (for easy cleanup) essentially doubling the tailgating ability. Getting more complex and driving up cost but something available for additional purchase down the road.

Reactions: J Alynn
View attachment 2027

I think that it would be an interesting idea if different grills were able for the new scout. And that each grill was interchangeable for customization to allow each persons scout to look more unique.