Rims and Tires

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

J Alynn

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Wondering what folks think about how Scout should handle Rims and Tires?
I’m thinking they should be more ala cart rather than fixed rims per model/style like the Bronco. Various styles, colors and even chrome. Maybe several price groups and maybe sizes to allow for road tires or off-road/rock crawling sized tires. And good quality tires based on member input, not whatever Goodyear, etc.. think. Also think tires with white lettering would be a great option. Cover a good portion of looks for those of us without a lot of hands on experience.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
They could offer a thousand different rim/tire combinations and many people would still opt for aftermarket. Besides the thousands of different aftermarket wheel styles and finishes available, a lot of people are going to want a negative offset for a wider stance or because they like the look of tire poke. Scout can’t deliberately include rims that are in violation of most state laws.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to offer a few tire/rim packages, but also offer an option to reduce the vehicle price and include really cheap take offs for people who know they’re gonna get aftermarket rims/tires anyway. like throw four “donut spares” on there, just enough to transport it to the final destination where the buyer can arrange for their own wheel/tire combo to be installed. Maybe even just have sets of “transportation tires” that could be reused. Let customers arrange for their aftermarket wheels to be delivered to the dealership and installed upon delivery, then send the “transports” back to the factory for the next scout buyer who wants aftermarket wheels.

I had new tires/rims waiting for me when my Bronco arrived. I was able to recoup about 70% of the cost of my aftermarket tires/wheels by selling my sasquatch takeoffs, but if I had the option to buy it without any shoes, I would have. Even if I had to buy aftermarket wheels through the dealership’s parts dept at a slightly higher cost.

They could offer a thousand different rim/tire combinations and many people would still opt for aftermarket. Besides the thousands of different aftermarket wheel styles and finishes available, a lot of people are going to want a negative offset for a wider stance or because they like the look of tire poke. Scout can’t deliberately include rims that are in violation of most state laws.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to offer a few tire/rim packages, but also offer an option to reduce the vehicle price and include really cheap take offs for people who know they’re gonna get aftermarket rims/tires anyway. like throw four “donut spares” on there, just enough to transport it to the final destination where the buyer can arrange for their own wheel/tire combo to be installed. Maybe even just have sets of “transportation tires” that could be reused. Let customers arrange for their aftermarket wheels to be delivered to the dealership and installed upon delivery, then send the “transports” back to the factory for the next scout buyer who wants aftermarket wheels.

I had new tires/rims waiting for me when my Bronco arrived. I was able to recoup about 70% of the cost of my aftermarket tires/wheels by selling my sasquatch takeoffs, but if I had the option to buy it without any shoes, I would have. Even if I had to buy aftermarket wheels through the dealership’s parts dept at a slightly higher cost.
That’s a fantastic idea with the base rims as “throw always”. Hadn’t thought of that kind of angle but great idea

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
That’s a fantastic idea with the base rims as “throw always”. Hadn’t thought of that kind of angle but great idea
If you read any of the Bronco and Jeep boards, it seems like half of the new owners go aftermarket right off the bat. And if you look at any of those “show us your tires/wheels threads”, you’ll see that everyone has their own individual style, especially with the Broncos because so many people want the more retro look, which I assume will be popular on scouts too. And then you’ve always got your guys who want -12 offset 20s on their pavement princesses.

The downside of “throwaways” would be how much rubber would end up in the landfills, and I could see how that would be a concern for a brand that’s marketing EVs. That’s why I suggested “transportation tires”. Might as well be able to reuse them, cut costs, and reduce waste. Not that I’m much of a tree hugger, but still, nobody wants to see excessive waste. I don’t know how realistic that idea is, but they could even use it in their marketing to make the granola eaters happy.

If you read any of the Bronco and Jeep boards, it seems like half of the new owners go aftermarket right off the bat. And if you look at any of those “show us your tires/wheels threads”, you’ll see that everyone has their own individual style, especially with the Broncos because so many people want the more retro look, which I assume will be popular on scouts too. And then you’ve always got your guys who want -12 offset 20s on their pavement princesses.

The downside of “throwaways” would be how much rubber would end up in the landfills, and I could see how that would be a concern for a brand that’s marketing EVs. That’s why I suggested “transportation tires”. Might as well be able to reuse them, cut costs, and reduce waste. Not that I’m much of a tree hugger, but still, nobody wants to see excessive waste. I don’t know how realistic that idea is, but they could even use it in their marketing to make the granola eaters happy.
Like the idea, but the vehicle needs to be sold with proper tires according to DOT specs in case the customer doesn’t change them out.

But a cheaper “base” steel wheel option with some sort of inexpensive standard tire might work as an alternative.

I mentioned polycast style and white wagon wheels. Please give me some Michelin and BFG choices. I’m personally a big fan of stock wheels if they look good.

Reactions: J Alynn
I mentioned polycast style and white wagon wheels. Please give me some Michelin and BFG choices. I’m personally a big fan of stock wheels if they look good.
White wagon wheels would be a cool retro look. It would be a good option. I’m a fan of stock wheels too if they don’t suck, but they usually suck, especially on 4x4s. I could see them using the BFG k02s, I doubt they’d offer a real mud tire. Ford calls those Goodyear Territories a mud tire, but it’s not really. They’re not actually terrible off road, but they’re horrible gravel chuckers. They put 33” k02s on the non Sasquatch Badlands and 37” k02s on the braptors. I’m not a huge fan of them, but they are good tires that I would probably keep and wear them out before upgrading. I’d rather see an option for the Nitto ridge grapplers or Toyo open country RTs as an optional all terrain type tire.

Wondering what folks think about how Scout should handle Rims and Tires?
I’m thinking they should be more ala cart rather than fixed rims per model/style like the Bronco. Various styles, colors and even chrome. Maybe several price groups and maybe sizes to allow for road tires or off-road/rock crawling sized tires. And good quality tires based on member input, not whatever Goodyear, etc.. think. Also think tires with white lettering would be a great option. Cover a good portion of looks for those of us without a lot of hands on experience.
Tire requirements / performances are are defined by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tire supplier.

Being as the new factory is in SC, it’s seems like a great opportunity to partner with Michelin for tires. Michelin has been making tires (including defender) in SC for years. It would be cool to get an exclusive tire for Scout out of one of the SC Michelin plants.

One thing that will be noteworthy is tire weight, aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Since this is an EV truck, Scout will have an incentive to push range as far as possible. Rivian did a good job with this, but may have left a door open to Scout with a smaller brake and smaller wheel diameter. My R1T has massive brakes that I have barely used, and rarely ever use while driving. In an emergency, it is a heavy truck, it is nice to know that braking power is there, but combined with regen, the may have over-engineered the brakes, which makes the smallest wheel a 20". All the hardcore rock crawlers like to complain about the 20"s, and I don't blame them for that niche use-case. For me, the 20 AT Pirelli Scorpion that was purpose-built for the R1T is excellent 6 months of the year. The Nokian Hakka's come in a LT3 that have worked great in the colder months.

What I would like is a traditional beefy steel wheel for one set of my 20"s that wouldn't break the bank (instead of mounting and re-mounting every 6 mo's). Maybe there is an opening for Scout with a nice beefy steel wheel in a smaller diameter, paired with a tire similar to what Rivian did with Pirelli (maybe a BFG or Michelin) purpose-built for the truck (light, quiet, good grip, wears well, and is as light as possible for an EV).

This is the Pirelli thing Rivian did:

Reactions: Amp831
Not sure how small we can go yet, but internally we've had discussions about it and it is on the radar. Also pushing hard personally for the design team to adopt a steely wheel that looks like the old wagon wheels on the Scout II. :D
Knowing the tire manuf’s are just down the road I’d prefer an all-season tire that cooperates. Having “custom” tires that are $800 a piece because of over-engineering for a few extra miles per charge is not desirable. Something in a $400 range would be preferred. I’d rather lose a hint of range to save $2000 when I go to replace the 5 tires ($400 vs $800 per tire-I’m sure I’m a bit high on $800 but making a point). With global warming a lot of areas are getting less harsh winters-not everyone-I know the northern states got hammered this past year. In central PA and we had one snow this year for 2-3” and melted 2 days later. I may get grief from that group but for a large majority of buyers and locations, a good set of all-seasons works year round and makes tire replacement less painful. Maybe offer a manufactured set of winter tires for the buyers who need them then they know they were designed for the EV/Scout aspect.
That said, cool steelies are👍

Knowing the tire manuf’s are just down the road I’d prefer an all-season tire that cooperates. Having “custom” tires that are $800 a piece because of over-engineering for a few extra miles per charge is not desirable. Something in a $400 range would be preferred. I’d rather lose a hint of range to save $2000 when I go to replace the 5 tires ($400 vs $800 per tire-I’m sure I’m a bit high on $800 but making a point). With global warming a lot of areas are getting less harsh winters-not everyone-I know the northern states got hammered this past year. In central PA and we had one snow this year for 2-3” and melted 2 days later. I may get grief from that group but for a large majority of buyers and locations, a good set of all-seasons works year round and makes tire replacement less painful. Maybe offer a manufactured set of winter tires for the buyers who need them then they know they were designed for the EV/Scout aspect.

Many OEM tires designed for EVs can be replaced with whatever tire you choose in the same size. So you aren't limited to just the make and model it came with. You might sacrifice range or likely some noise (most EV tires have foam inserts to absorb noise). What a lot of us forget is that noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues are magnified quite a bit when there is no engine noise. It forces manufacturers to button down the squeaks, rattles, and road noise. :D

I wouldn't expect the tire prices to double. The Pirelli comes in under $400:

For my own use in the mountains (dealing w/ snow & ice, freeze thaw, re-freeze, general nastiness, etc.) a dedicated winter tire is very valuable on the truck. I would much rather have a dedicated set of tires for the cold-weather months - the performance is so noticeable that it would be hard not to run dedicated snows where I am. Also, you aren't saving any money by not getting better tires and just running one set. You will eventually burn through your tires anyway, so where I am, you may as well have the best tires and use them for 6 months, then switch.

Even with winter shifting 1 or 2 months forward, we still had snow banks higher than the roof of my truck in the mountains of VT last month.
With EV's being heavy and with Regen (vs. downshifting or just plain braking) tires make a huge difference on the R1T.
I'm also happy with Rivian's latest drive mode (Snow Mode + the Nokian LT3 Hakkas on 20's)

IMG_5655.jpg

Reactions: MI Scout
Many OEM tires designed for EVs can be replaced with whatever tire you choose in the same size. So you aren't limited to just the make and model it came with. You might sacrifice range or likely some noise (most EV tires have foam inserts to absorb noise). What a lot of us forget is that noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues are magnified quite a bit when there is no engine noise. It forces manufacturers to button down the squeaks, rattles, and road noise. :D
Does that mean the sound systems will be better or worse? Active noise cancellation?

Not sure how small we can go yet, but internally we've had discussions about it and it is on the radar. Also pushing hard personally for the design team to adopt a steely wheel that looks like the old wagon wheels on the Scout II. :D
Boom! I hope the wagon wheel idea gets some momentum. All in favor, say I!

I didn’t mean something super expensive. But, utilizing a well known brand that makes tires about 75 miles away seems like a good strategy. I’m a Kubota tractor dealer and they got an exclusive tread pattern for a limited time. They now have their logo moulded into the tire. It leaves little Kubota logos as you roll on dirt. It’s cool in an Easter egg kind of way. Not saying Scout would do that but a really nice OEM Michelin AT would check the box for a lot of customers.

I didn’t mean something super expensive. But, utilizing a well known brand that makes tires about 75 miles away seems like a good strategy. I’m a Kubota tractor dealer and they got an exclusive tread pattern for a limited time. They now have their logo moulded into the tire. It leaves little Kubota logos as you roll on dirt. It’s cool in an Easter egg kind of way. Not saying Scout would do that but a really nice OEM Michelin AT would check the box for a lot of customers.
I grew up with a kubota tractor/mower. You sir are a good man. I didn’t think anybody wanted super expensive-I was just implying at a certain point-an over engineered tire gets expensive vs a little lost range for a relatively straight forward tire. I like the Easter Egg Idea. Like Ford requiring the wrangler tires to not say wrangler-that was funny!

Reactions: LastDayScout