Not another electric dragster

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Robbymeyer

1st Year Member
Feb 24, 2023
I may be alone in thinking this, but please don’t make 0-60 time a big priority in a new Scout. It never was originally. I’d be especially disappointed if long range batteries or 4 wheel drive is exclusively combined with an excessively fast version. I daily a 78 scout with a 160 hp turbo diesel, and it’s . . . enough. It also has 4wd and roughly 600 mile range. I’ll be more excited about fast charging than fast acceleration.

Yes, things have gotten out of hand. I like enough grunt to quickly/safely pass on a country road, but beyond that who cares. Mmm...30-70 is more important than 0-60, but the numbers cars are doing lately is just irresponsible. Also, regardless how quick it is, I think the marketing material should de-emphasize that stat, otherwise that will be a big part of how people will measure your car. That's been going on forever. It'd be attention grabbing to just leave that stat out (or put in "quick enough"). Sure the numbers will come out, but you'll get some extra buzz and traction at the same time your telling reviewers to think about the car in a better way.

Good news. Speed and torque automatically come with the package. You choose how to deploy it. But with an EV truck, 0-60 instantaneous throttle response also translates directly to instantaneous 30-70 passing speeds, without sacrificing anything (except electrons and rubber). But agreed, it shouldn't be a big emphasis as a truck.

Modern technology also often means bloated vehicles, even aside from EVs being heavy by necessity. You can have it all, but "all" is huge. Are there any modern iterations of classic names that aren't huge? Even the Fiat 124 Spider got a little inflated when it became a Fiata.

The most attractive option for me is a niche that's basically vanished from the US: a smaller and truly offroad-capable truck that makes its internal space from boxiness rather than sheer size from bloat. Picture a 2-door leaning more towards a Samurai than a Bronco in terms of size. With regards to performance and range, I wonder how much a decrease in battery size might also be offset by being in a smaller and lighter vehicle.

I guess the closest modern thing would be a late model Jimny, but of course that's not available in the US. I get that small vehicles tend to fail in the US (besides the Mirage because it costs about the price of a cheeseburger and people don't have money right now), but enthusiast crowds are often an exception (eg manual transmission still being brought back by demand in some performance cars for fun reasons).

I'd wonder what the data would say but there isn't much real-world data available when every automaker tries to hit the exact same endlessly growing truck/SUV/crossover segments. Of course Scout is doing the safe bet of 4-door everything, but hopefully in the future those proven models will be a backbone to protect against the risk of making a smaller 2-door to fill in the missing space.

Last edited:
Modern technology also often means bloated vehicles, even aside from EVs being heavy by necessity. You can have it all, but "all" is huge. Are there any modern iterations of classic names that aren't huge? Even the Fiat 124 Spider got a little inflated when it became a Fiata.

The most attractive option for me is a niche that's basically vanished from the US: a smaller and truly offroad-capable truck that makes its internal space from boxiness rather than sheer size from bloat. Picture a 2-door leaning more towards a Samurai than a Bronco in terms of size. With regards to performance and range, I wonder how much a decrease in battery size might also be offset by being in a smaller and lighter vehicle.

I guess the closest modern thing would be a late model Jimny, but of course that's not available in the US. I get that small vehicles tend to fail in the US (besides the Mirage because it costs about the price of a cheeseburger and people don't have money right now), but enthusiast crowds are often an exception (eg manual transmission still being brought back by demand in some performance cars for fun reasons).

I'd wonder what the data would say but there isn't much real-world data available when every automaker tries to hit the exact same endlessly growing truck/SUV/crossover segments. Of course Scout is doing the safe bet of 4-door everything, but hopefully in the future those proven models will be a backbone to protect against the risk of making a smaller 2-door to fill in the missing space.
I see that Jamie gave a thumbs up and I agree. I will continue to say that vehicles are getting dangerously large.

On a side, but related, note it really is incredible that Scout is going to launch two vehicles from the get go. Tesla started with one, Rivian showed both, but launched with the truck, polestar with one, etc, etc.

Since none of us have asked yet, does SM have a target Hp in mind for the Scout? I realize torque plays a big role but just curious what HP range is being targeted?

Is it true that Scout is not going to produce the two-door Scout? The one most city folks want. Bad news for urban explorers. I hope the size of the truck will be similar to the original; there is no need for another Tundra or Dually Ram pick em-up truck.

Please keep the software interface simple for us poor-dumb bunnies.

Is it true that Scout is not going to produce the two-door Scout? The one most city folks want. Bad news for urban explorers. I hope the size of the truck will be similar to the original; there is no need for another Tundra or Dually Ram pick em-up truck.

Please keep the software interface simple for us poor-dumb bunnies.
They have not said no to the 2 door. It would just not be introduced first due to two main reasons. 1. The 4 door will be the higher take rate. 2. Battery size to range. They are hoping for battery sizes to get smaller but more efficient so the 2 door can be properly sized but have sufficient range.

I may be alone in thinking this, but please don’t make 0-60 time a big priority in a new Scout. It never was originally. I’d be especially disappointed if long range batteries or 4 wheel drive is exclusively combined with an excessively fast version. I daily a 78 scout with a 160 hp turbo diesel, and it’s . . . enough. It also has 4wd and roughly 600 mile range. I’ll be more excited about fast charging than fast acceleration.
I gather that the 0-60 bit is just a general benefit of the EV platform -- no drivetrain, direct to wheel motors, etc. I agree, SM should emphasize other features. For me the "every-so-often" task is to flat-tow one or two my legacy Scouts somewhere or back home; local shows often need this ferry service. The route back home involves a 1200' driveway which features a 10% grade in the worst section. I want my EV Scout comfortable with making that climb, and not need to go suck on the charger before it can go fetch Scout #2. Plus my EV Scout needs to take on the job my legacy Scouts do of pulling stumps of small trees and shrubs that grow up and shade that drive. LLow on a Scout 80 plus a big nylon strap was perfect for that, that's 0-6 slow and even. How will the EV Scout from SM handle that task?

Reactions: oldgeeksguide