It's the Scouts who answer the call...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Scotty

1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Or just a company that buys the name and uses it in sentimental and patriotic marketing BS. Seriously, even Scout Motors is too embarrassed of this latest video to post it here. So here it is:

Last edited:
Jamie posted it yesterday right here:
Ah, I stand corrected on that. I would have expected it to posted in New Media, or at least a new thread of its own.

In any case, yes, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and so on play on sentimental emotions, but they made their great products and didn't just go out and buy the name to misappropriate its history.

Ah, I stand corrected on that. I would have expected it to posted in New Media, or at least a new thread of its own.

In any case, yes, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and so on play on sentimental emotions, but they made their great products and didn't just go out and buy the name to misappropriate its history.
If I may quote:
Chrysler is currently owned by Stellantis, a multinational automaker. Stellantis also distributes Dodge, Jeep, and Ram-branded automobiles. In 2021 Italian American automaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French automaker PSA Group (Peugeot Société Anonyme) merged into Stellantis.
As of December 2022, Stellantis ranks third on a list of the largest car manufacturers in the world, following Volkswagen Group and Toyota.

Is it just a matter of time before Stellantis re-employs their acquired Plymouth, DeSoto, Diamond, Nash, Maxwell, Hudson, and Power-Wagon badges and be declared pseudo-American because the world economy now embraces multi-national corporations? But what if the current move by Nippon Steel to buy out US Steel succeeds will there be no truly American vehicles? -- I remain hopeful that the beloved Power-Wagons will be revived -- likely under Stellantis' US established Maserati division, or maybe more probably as a Citroën as it has an established truck division (or maybe Daimler-Benz). Stellantis 'bought' all those badges -- and more.

I don’t think VAG bought the name to misappropriate history. They bought Navistar to merge with their heavy truck division (Traton?) and make more trucks. Navistar had bought the IH truck division when IH went bankrupt and kept making International trucks (semis). Navistar had owned all the IH light truck names the whole time but had decided to not continue the light line. If VAG sees a market to bring the light line back, great! But it’s not like they just bought the Scout name. They bought a truck manufacturer to build more trucks and the Scout name came with the deal.
That may not all be 100% accurate but that’s my basic understanding of how we got Scout Motors bringing back Scouts.

Here is a little IH history and how the Scout name ended up with TRATON which is part of Volkswagen Group.
I was wrong above. Navistar didn’t buy IH, they ARE IH but sold off the IH brand. That’s not just buying a name in my book. It’s as direct descendant as possible after 40+ years.

Last edited:
Here is a little IH history and how the Scout name ended up with TRATON which is part of Volkswagen Group.
Navistar didn’t buy IH, they ARE IH but sold off the IH brand. That’s not just buying a name in my book. It’s as direct descendant as possible after 40+ years.
And VAG can employ similar advertising as both Case-IH and McCormick use going back to 1831 if they wish. Or even just 1902 when IH was formed.

The Autobuggy and Autowagon were far ahead of Ford Model T pick-ups chronologically, engineering and dealer network.

Depending on where you click on the internet, IH may even have been first to market 4 door pickups

Reactions: Bodie
Or just a company that buys the name and uses it in sentimental and patriotic marketing BS. Seriously, even Scout Motors is too embarrassed of this latest video to post it here. So here it is:

You kinda sorta need marketing to start the flywheel spinning... Business 101.

As for as targeting a future segment of prospective buyers, I would give credit to Scout for NOT going after a single demographic sliver, but rather looking to appeal to a practical, outdoorsy, hands-on, thoughtful, sentimental, patriotic and forward-looking group of buyers. Not to single out anyone, but if Scout only caters to a narrow band of older IH zealots, they would be looking at a minuscule TAM and would not be able to sell enough trucks.

Scout appears to be on a mission to weave and stitch the past with the present, with a look forward into the future. This is not an easy thing to do in an unhealthy divisive environment where everything is literally bucketed - Its either black or white, up or down, short or tall. I give them a lot of credit for taking this on, and for setting up a successful launch that appears not be exclusionary. This bucketing of shit needs to stop.

You kinda sorta need marketing to start the flywheel spinning... Business 101.

As for as targeting a future segment of prospective buyers, I would give credit to Scout for NOT going after a single demographic sliver, but rather looking to appeal to a practical, outdoorsy, hands-on, thoughtful, sentimental, patriotic and forward-looking group of buyers. Not to single out anyone, but if Scout only caters to a narrow band of older IH zealots, they would be looking at a minuscule TAM and would not be able to sell enough trucks.

Scout appears to be on a mission to weave and stitch the past with the present, with a look forward into the future. This is not an easy thing to do in an unhealthy divisive environment where everything is literally bucketed - Its either black or white, up or down, short or tall. I give them a lot of credit for taking this on, and for setting up a successful launch that appears not be exclusionary. This bucketing of shit needs to stop.
Well put.

I think @Scotty just wants to wind everyone up. Most of us are here for the journey and look forward to revival of the Scout-as an EV-not an ICE (since that seems to be another topic of complaint on this forum.). Having a major manufacturer use social media to help redefine an iconic nameplate is forward thinking and most of us on this forum delight in the opportunity to participate.
Others are here to just complain (freedom of speech-knock yourselves out) and I’m doing my best to try and minimize my criticism.
Every manufacturer has dug into their retired vehicle bag in the last 10-15 years and resurrected a nameplate. As noted, getting the flywheel rolling is critical and I give Scott K all the credit for pushing VWAG into pursuing and reviving the Scout name. I noted once before. This might be the first time in history that an auto “brand” has been revived.
Keep up the great work SM

It was established at the beginning of Scout Motors journey that the end products would be 100% EV. And that they would be capable and innovative for the designated environment. They may not be the first EV SUV or truck. You can buy a Wrsngle XE or a Ford 150 Lightning but each could have its EV components exchanged for ICE. They really present nothing new other than power source. Even the startups like Rivian and failed Lordstown are/were nothing excitingly new under the sheet metal.

This is precisely where Scout can shine. With no preconceived notions other than required minimum capabilities they have a clean slate to work with.

And I applaud and support them (and will be ready to buy first Scout III Terra off the line)

Am brand new to the Scout community and forum. Appreciating the quality of posts/discussions. Worked in the automotive marketing field in diversity training and production 25 years ago before teaching at an ecologically-based school for a decade and then training as a clinical social worker/psychotherapist and now due to demand - eco-therapist - addressing environmental anxiety/depression. All to say in my practice with clients, so many people from different walks of life, ages, and socioeconomic sectors are seeking actions and products they can get involved with that inspire some kind of values-based connection, especially products with universal appeal that display reverence for the natural world. People I know gravitate toward inclusion and products that have a storied history, like Scout. Hoping to see people delighted with the new EV Scout once it becomes available. Self included!

Reactions: J Alynn
Am brand new to the Scout community and forum. Appreciating the quality of posts/discussions. Worked in the automotive marketing field in diversity training and production 25 years ago before teaching at an ecologically-based school for a decade and then training as a clinical social worker/psychotherapist and now due to demand - eco-therapist - addressing environmental anxiety/depression. All to say in my practice with clients, so many people from different walks of life, ages, and socioeconomic sectors are seeking actions and products they can get involved with that inspire some kind of values-based connection, especially products with universal appeal that display reverence for the natural world. People I know gravitate toward inclusion and products that have a storied history, like Scout. Hoping to see people delighted with the new EV Scout once it becomes available. Self included!
Your career path is very intriguing to me. I truly hope you enjoy your work as I’d love to better understand your current work. Welcome and thanks for posting

Your career path is very intriguing to me. I truly hope you enjoy your work as I’d love to better understand your current work. Welcome and thanks for posting
Thank you! I love my work. Happy to share any parts relevant to this board. There's a new website underdevelopment for anyone who is curious about ecological therapy. Happy to pass along once it's ready. Future of Scout/EV's and psychology of people who delight in innovation are great people to know. When I worked in automotive marketing 25 years ago there was absolutely nothing but gassers available for consumers. Loving what Scout is doing here with the revival of an already storied brand gone progressive.

Reactions: J Alynn