Is EV demand really tanking?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I have a place that is a 7 hour drive north. There's no way I'm stopping somewhere in the middle for a 3 hour charge! I can get fuel anywhere, electrons are tougher to come by! So the saying running out of electrons is the same as running out of fuel is wrong and it should be what everyone is thinking about and solving! Admitting the problem is the fastest way to fix the problem! Also Cell coverage is not great in the UP of Michigan I feel more comfortable letting my wife drive my ICE vehicle than a battery powered vehicle!
I love the old Scouts and I think the sketches of the new design look great! I would love to see a concept car a show! I know it's not what anyone wants to hear, I would love to see a ICE version as well!
You are using a lot of exclamation points!

Reactions: J_P and J Alynn
The Scout will be my first EV, so I can't speak from experience like some on here. This is a common concern a lot of us have, but I don't know that a 3 hour charge is at all realistic. @Rustic_father posted this a while back (https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/dealerships-are-dying.110/post-1751). Take notice of his last paragraph that has a link to ABRP, which is "A Better Route Planner" for EV's. You might play with it a bit to see what your 7 hour road trip would really entail. Maybe post it on here so we can all work through actual expectations of owning an EV? .....good or bad it "[helps] fix the problem"

I was curious myself, and tried an 8 hour trip through north Michigan. It shows a 24 minute charge 3 hours in. That stop seems reasonable to me after being on the road for three hours. The second and final charge for the 8 hour trip was 53 minutes, which admittedly doesn't sound fun. However, if you are planning to be on the road all day, a longer charge planned over a lunch break doesn't seem to be a horrible experience either. To this point I might say - Scout Motors, maybe being sure to incorporate meal times within your software's algorithm for charge points could be useful. Longer charges are scheduled around meal times and local restaurants close to chargers are brought up for suggestions.

View attachment 2137
Scout Motors, this kept me thinking about the lunch break within your Scout road trip software. Out of curiosity I plugged in the below trip, thinking western Kansas would be limited with charging stations. On this 7 hour trip it shows a couple 30+ minute stops. If I was to make this trip, I could see stopping in Manhattan, KS to eat lunch with my brother, or maybe I'm planning to take off later in the day and I would stop to grab a great steak for dinner at Meridy's restaurant in Russell, KS. I would imagine a 1 hour stop to eat at either would in turn make that other 30+ minute charge a lot less, and make the overall road trip with stops more enjoyable.

So with this scenario in mind, what if your software did something similar to below after you put your starting point and destination in. Then have a "Meal" button that has the users desired meal duration time preset (1 hour for this example). Once this button is clicked the user can drag his/her finger across the screen (route) to desired meal locations (snaps to actual charger location in that area). The 1 hour meal time changes the other charge locations/times in real time, allowing the user to figure out the best option for that particular road trip. I would also add that this software/app needs to be able to log in on your PC, tablet, phone, Scout touch screen, etc. so these road trips can be preplanned and then sent to your Scout.

roadtrip2.jpg

The second approach to incorporating a meal time with a longer charge would be to include a start time (when using PC, tablet, phone - using Scout touchscreen would assume start time is about to happen). Then charging options along the route show on the screen that match to 11:00-12:30 lunch hour. The user can then click on each of the chargers that come up during this time slot of the road trip, and restaurants in the area of that particular charger come up on the screen for the user to choose where he/she would like to stop for a lunch break/longer charge.

Reactions: J Alynn
Just to put to bed the idea that EV is tanking… I was just watching the news, and they were discussing EV sales in 2023. Numbers were a little higher than NADA, but statement was basically 1/10 vehicles sold in 2023 were EV. Excerpt from the NADA below. Full report here: https://www.nada.org/nada/research-and-data/market-beat

“Year-to-date sales of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) topped 1 million units during November, the first time BEV sales have exceeded that threshold in a single sales year. Through 11 months of the year, BEV sales totaled 1,007,984, an increase of 50.7% year over year. And BEVs sold by franchised dealerships represented 39.7% of all the new BEVs sold so far this year.”

They aren’t going away, question is how can they or their required infrastructure be engineered to make them work for people.

Happy Nee Year everyone !!!
Having watched the kick off to the Rose Bowl parade this morning if EV’s are tanking then Honda completely missed the mark since the first 10 minutes was a “paid” Honda commercial and it was all about carbon neutral by 2050. I think EV’s are just fine (and lots of proof earlier in this post). Now if only they can make the B-2 stealth bomber an EV 😀

The current infrastructure deficiencies pose a significant challenge. I suggest exploring the possibility of introducing the initial generations of Scout vehicles as Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs). This strategic move could serve as a pragmatic interim solution until there is substantial legislation or investment in plug-in grids. Penetrating the market, particularly in the SUV and Truck segments, with a relatively unfamiliar brand might encounter resistance from those hesitant to embrace change. However, by offering PHEVs, we present a compromise that could make the transition more palatable to potential customers.

The current infrastructure deficiencies pose a significant challenge. I suggest exploring the possibility of introducing the initial generations of Scout vehicles as Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs). This strategic move could serve as a pragmatic interim solution until there is substantial legislation or investment in plug-in grids. Penetrating the market, particularly in the SUV and Truck segments, with a relatively unfamiliar brand might encounter resistance from those hesitant to embrace change. However, by offering PHEVs, we present a compromise that could make the transition more palatable to potential customers.
I disagree. PHEV's are a bridge technology and will be a waste of money and resources for Scout at this point. Scout will be production constrained for years after launch so a pure EV play will be fine. There will be enough demand from people looking for EV off-roaders that Scout will be able to sell every vehicle they make (assuming they're priced correctly). A clean-sheet pure BEV platform will be superior than an afterthought interim PHEV vehicle. Charging infrastructure is actually fine and improving every day, especially since Scout vehicles will have access to the Supercharger network at launch.

If you want a PHEV off road vehicle Jeep has one. Personally I'm waiting for a pure EV off roader.

Reactions: LastDayScout
I agree 100% that with the current infrastructure, a PHEV makes more sense. I’ve had one for almost 10 years. About 85% of my 70,000+ miles have been all electric with no range worry. Road trips require no additional planning to figure out where to charge and no wasted time waiting to charge.
BUT if I was starting a brand new company from the ground up, I’d just go straight to full BEV too for simplicity. Design and engineering of a BEV have to be easier than a PHEV because there’s fewer systems to design and package. I think a platform that supports both PHEV and BEV would not be ideal for either. I’m willing to get a BEV because I would still use my wife’s ICE for road trips.