GPS suggestions

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harumph

1st Year Member
May 20, 2023
jamie@scoutmotors

What is the current thinking about an integrated GPS vs using a mobile app?

I prefer integrated, but I use both methods in different vehicles. If given the option, I will choose to pay for the integrated GPS instead of paying a subscription.

I would like to see Scout offer off-road maps or highlighted routes. A companion app on my mobile or laptop to research trails, with the ability to transfer that data to my Scout, will be a good differentiator from what competitors are offering.

Perhaps partnering with one of the existing off-road map providers. Scout might even feature that brand in the way sound system suppliers are featured, if that helps to ensure we have frequent and accurate updates.

One big ask is to include weather radar with GPS. Something like a Doppler radar overlay on the GPS map would be really helpful. A zoom out feature for the map/radar is a must have.

And let's have an LCD display size of at least 12" plus a heads-up display.

Reactions: J Alynn
jamie@scoutmotors

What is the current thinking about an integrated GPS vs using a mobile app?

I prefer integrated, but I use both methods in different vehicles. If given the option, I will choose to pay for the integrated GPS instead of paying a subscription.

I would like to see Scout offer off-road maps or highlighted routes. A companion app on my mobile or laptop to research trails, with the ability to transfer that data to my Scout, will be a good differentiator from what competitors are offering.

Perhaps partnering with one of the existing off-road map providers. Scout might even feature that brand in the way sound system suppliers are featured, if that helps to ensure we have frequent and accurate updates.

One big ask is to include weather radar with GPS. Something like a Doppler radar overlay on the GPS map would be really helpful. A zoom out feature for the map/radar is a must have.

And let's have an LCD display size of at least 12" plus a heads-up display.
Agree on the 12” monitor but built in navigation seems excessive this day and age unless it is an optional, trail spec type of navigation. With Apple CarPlay and Google maps just connecting through wireless Bluetooth is adequate for road based buyers. I’m all for an add option for off-roading where signals may be harder to gain access to

I don't need built in nav, but it could be a subscription revenue stream if they figure out unique things it could do. As far as doppler radar is concerned, the apple weather app has that, as well as a trick "hyper local" forecast that can tell you how many minutes away rain is from your current location, and send you alerts about it. I don't think it integrates with their nav, however, which might be useful. And the weather of course requires an internet connection. I don't know of a way of providing doppler radar without an internet connection, short of adding dedicated hardware of the type pilots use. Probably would cost a minor fortune.

I object less to subscriptions on things that are actually costing the company $$ to provide. So, "nav" maybe, "HP boost" never.

I’d be perfectly happy if there is no built in map service. The CarPlay options are far superior than any built-in one I’ve used and have some big advantages. If you use something like Apple Maps you can start your route on your phone before you leave the house, see the ETA and make sure you don’t leave way too early. You can also go to a car you have never driven before and all your saved destinations go with you because the software goes with you on your phone.

What I really want to see is a CarPlay app for off road enthusiasts. This would be a much better use of time - creating something completely new that would add value. If Scout want some subscription revenue, build such an app, make it free for Scout owners and charge a subscription to people that drive Broncos. If the off roading app is great it becomes yet another reason to buy a Scout. Bundling software to enhance the value of hardware is straight out of the big tech playbook. It’s a great strategy. In contrast, creating proprietary built in road mapping software adds little value, because the tech companies already made mapping free and everyone has a phone.

Reactions: Harris005
I don't need built in nav, but it could be a subscription revenue stream if they figure out unique things it could do. As far as doppler radar is concerned, the apple weather app has that, as well as a trick "hyper local" forecast that can tell you how many minutes away rain is from your current location, and send you alerts about it. I don't think it integrates with their nav, however, which might be useful. And the weather of course requires an internet connection. I don't know of a way of providing doppler radar without an internet connection, short of adding dedicated hardware of the type pilots use. Probably would cost a minor fortune.

I object less to subscriptions on things that are actually costing the company $$ to provide. So, "nav" maybe, "HP boost" never.
Integrating maps with weather conditions is a cool idea. A ‘high winds up ahead’ alert would be nice. Such alerts could potentially be generated through sensor data from other vehicles (or phones inside vehicles) detecting rain, fog or the buffeting of the wind. I’d be surprised if tech companies are not already working on this.