Compact pickup

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

LastDayScout

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 16, 2022
So if you follow automotive trends at all, you likely know that the Ford maverick is a runaway success. So much so that several other brands are looking to enter that market. None of them are EVs so far. Scout could, in my own arm chair CEO mind, go to market with a competitor pretty quickly. This truck could be based on the VW MEB platform as the Maverick is not oriented to hardcore off-roading. This could be a great urban and suburban oriented vehicle. I’m sure it would also sell well to government agencies, municipalities, universities etc. Trucks have gotten way too big and in some ways have lost utility and practicality…certainly maneuverability. I own a 1987 Jeep Comanche. That little truck does almost anything I could ever need from a truck, and I can park in a city. This idea is not with historical precedent.

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    706.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: J Alynn
You're right about the market trend existing, but I think Scout is purposely not using VW platforms as a rule for a whole slew of reasons. For example, the loss of focus may impact many of the potential benefits from building the other two models from the ground-up, and would erode all of the public perception built up that these new Scouts are aiming to be genuinely off-road capable.

Also, the Maverick is a runaway success because it costs $25k and isn't a Kia Rio. You could carve a tailgate into a potato and it'll be a massive success if it is affordable.

While I would love a Scout-flavored Maverick too, we're just as well off telling Subaru to modernize the Brat or Baja as a small city pickup truck, which would also result in nothing happening.

BRAT.jpg

Last edited:
You're right about the market trend existing, but I think Scout is purposely not using VW platforms as a rule for a whole slew of reasons. For example, the loss of focus may impact many of the potential benefits from building the other two models from the ground-up, and would erode all of the public perception built up that these new Scouts are aiming to be genuinely off-road capable.

Also, the Maverick is a runaway success because it costs $25k and isn't a Kia Rio. You could carve a tailgate into a potato and it'll be a massive success if it is affordable.

While I would love a Scout-flavored Maverick too, we're better off telling Subaru to modernize the Brat or Baja as a small city pickup truck, which would also result in nothing happening.

View attachment 1558
Good counter point to my late afternoon daydream.

• Sad
Reactions: Ecca
Your daydream is my daydream too! I want a compact pickup, or a compact 2-door SUV, or a compact anything to be honest.

I think the best thing to realistically hope for is that the expected Scout SUV is as compact as it seems in the concept sketch next to the pickup, or that Scout will continue on with a similarly small pickup at some point.

The Fisker Alaska just entered the chat
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-fisker-alaska-ev-pickup-truck-first-look-review/

002-2025-Fisker-Alaska.jpg

Reactions: Rustic_father
I stand corrected! There’s an EV compact pickup. Looks like a Hyundai Santa Cruz to me.
With the added benefit of the Chevy Avalanche's Midgate concept!
From the article:
To stand out, the Alaska features a pass-through gate under the cabin's rear window, which also rises out of the way for a large opening, to create a 7.5 foot-long bed (including the backs of the folded down second-row seats), and 9.6 feet to the edge of the open tailgate."
screenshot-2023-08-03-9.31.57-pm.jpg
screenshot-2023-08-03-9.32.21-pm.jpg

I completely realize this is not in the first or even second round for Scout Motors. But, it certainly needs to be on their radar.

Last edited:
Fisker Alaska is $45K so definitely not a competitor in the low price compact truck market. I loved my dependable '87 Nissan Hardbody. Fisker Alaska will have serious competition with the smaller Rivian Truck arriving though.

Reactions: LastDayScout
Just so I’m being clear, I think this compact truck idea should be in addition to the one already planned.

Just so I’m being clear, I think this compact truck idea should be in addition to the one already planned.
If the compact SUV gets a removable roof and a tailgate, it's basically a compact pickup truck! Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too?

I can't imagine we'll be seeing anything below $40k though.