Color Wishlist

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
white wagon wheels and top are always a nice touch, make the other colour 'pop'

I heard a rumor once that IH didn't paint the inside of the quarters. Don't know if it's true or not but I feel confident it's not going to be a tradition carried forward
Based on the amount of Scouts put to rest because of Rust that certainly sounds plausible

What about hardtop color options when ordering your Scout?

1. Would think that black and white are a given.
2. Color matched to your Scout body color as a possible option.
3. Seen some grays and tans out there that look nice (seen more on soft top options, but could be a nice customizable touch to a hardtop as well).

Reactions: Chris@ScoutMotors
I'm curious how the hard tops will be addressed given all the issues Ford has had with their manufacturer.
I as well.

Though honestly, we've learned with our Jeeps that the hard tops:
Are more expensive if buying after taking delivery.
Soft tops you can buy on marketplace fairly well/easily.
If you don't order the rig WITH the hard top, things like rear wiper control, rear washer fluid, and rear defrost won't be included. Nor will the windshield and roll cage mounts be on there either.

Just some things to keep in mind.

I as well.

Though honestly, we've learned with our Jeeps that the hard tops:
Are more expensive if buying after taking delivery.
Soft tops you can buy on marketplace fairly well/easily.
If you don't order the rig WITH the hard top, things like rear wiper control, rear washer fluid, and rear defrost won't be included. Nor will the windshield and roll cage mounts be on there either.

Just some things to keep in mind.
That is some great insight! Scout Motors might want to make sure and put that information in front of the buyers when purchasing. That upfront honestly could go a long way in building customer relations.

That is some great insight! Scout Motors might want to make sure and put that information in front of the buyers when purchasing. That upfront honestly could go a long way in building customer relations.
We had our beloved Bikini Pearl JLUR, Kailani I, and then when the Tuscadero came out we took that opportunity to reset miles and tires, get some added features, and get a fresh look. The 4xe was a bonus(and because at that time I couldn't get it with JUST the 2.0T).

But when it came time to check the box for a hard top... well why? Let's just keep the hard top that came with the 2020, save the like $2000 for it to be new, order the 2021 with the premium soft top we know we like, etc.

Then it was a bit of a shock to realize our mistake in logic when we brought Kailani II home in late Nov 2021 and realized the differences... Live and learn.

Reactions: J Alynn
Chris and I will be pushing hard for great historic colors in modern flavors in addition to a few standard "suit" colors. :D

Here are some historic Scout colors as an idea. The last 20 years of resto-mod action has seen a plethora of great modern interpretations of these types of colors:

View attachment 175

I don’t have any specific color suggestions but I do have ideas about how to approach the finishes.

Designers I have worked with are obsessive about color and based on the little I have learned from them I believe that the different color finishes should be cohesive as a collection. That means all the colors, whilst very different, are compatible with each other and feel like they belong together. There is a science to it. This sort of attention to detail would be brand strengthening and give a sense of high design quality. The added benefit of this is that as colors are refreshed over the years the overall feel of the lineup can be invigorated as the collection takes on completely new color pallets. Some of the historic Scout colors would be a good starting point from which to derive such a collection.

Finishes should include 4 or 5 metallic and 4 or 5 non-metallic options. Most should be gloss but there should maybe be 1 or 2 matte options. Also a factory full wrap.

I’m not a big fan of silver. It seems to me like it is supposed to makes cars look like they have a metal finish but the effect is always unsuccessful and feels pretentious. I’d rather see raw steel with a clear coat than some shade silver that looks sort of like aluminum or sort of like titanium or something but with a surface finish that is unmistakably paint. Paint should just look like paint. Whilst I strongly dislike silver I do like non-metallic greys. The same can be said of wheels, let us see the raw oxidized/passivized metal with machined/bead-blasted/etched surfaces or else give us grey or black powder coat. Please no paint that tries and fails to look like metal. Also no electroplated plastics, plastic doesn’t need to pretend to be metal any more than paint does.

Personally, I would not choose a metallic option in any color. For the Bronco I’d go with “Area 51” or “Cactus grey” but only because the only other non-metallic option is a red I’m not crazy about. But that’s just me.

I want to see lots of color options. In my opinion, white, black and greys that sit directly between them are not colors.

I question whether people really are so in love with white, black and three shades of silver even if the sales data says that’s what people ultimately buy. People can’t really be that boring, can they? Whenever I have bought a new car I have had to settle for whatever colors (or non-colors) the dealers had available (I’d say this is yet another argument for direct to consumer sales). It seems the dealers and manufacturers tend to favor the ‘safe’ non-colors that they know most people will settle for, even if they are not the customer’s first choice. Some people also feel pressured to go with a choice they are told with make it easier to re-sell in the future. If people mostly only find white, black and three shades of silver on the sales lot, the sales data will obviously show that’s what people usually buy. If so, this data might be meaningless in as much as people can only buy what is available. I’d be curious to know if there is a difference between buyer intent (such as what colors people choose in an online configurator) and what they go with when they purchase. Or maybe people really are more boring than I like to think?

I don’t have any specific color suggestions but I do have ideas about how to approach the finishes.

Designers I have worked with are obsessive about color and based on the little I have learned from them I believe that the different color finishes should be cohesive as a collection. That means all the colors, whilst very different, are compatible with each other and feel like they belong together. There is a science to it. This sort of attention to detail would be brand strengthening and give a sense of high design quality. The added benefit of this is that as colors are refreshed over the years the overall feel of the lineup can be invigorated as the collection takes on completely new color pallets. Some of the historic Scout colors would be a good starting point from which to derive such a collection.

Finishes should include 4 or 5 metallic and 4 or 5 non-metallic options. Most should be gloss but there should maybe be 1 or 2 matte options. Also a factory full wrap.

I’m not a big fan of silver. It seems to me like it is supposed to makes cars look like they have a metal finish but the effect is always unsuccessful and feels pretentious. I’d rather see raw steel with a clear coat than some shade silver that looks sort of like aluminum or sort of like titanium or something but with a surface finish that is unmistakably paint. Paint should just look like paint. Whilst I strongly dislike silver I do like non-metallic greys. The same can be said of wheels, let us see the raw oxidized/passivized metal with machined/bead-blasted/etched surfaces or else give us grey or black powder coat. Please no paint that tries and fails to look like metal. Also no electroplated plastics, plastic doesn’t need to pretend to be metal any more than paint does.

Personally, I would not choose a metallic option in any color. For the Bronco I’d go with “Area 51” or “Cactus grey” but only because the only other non-metallic option is a red I’m not crazy about. But that’s just me.

I want to see lots of color options. In my opinion, white, black and greys that sit directly between them are not colors.

I question whether people really are so in love with white, black and three shades of silver even if the sales data says that’s what people ultimately buy. People can’t really be that boring, can they? Whenever I have bought a new car I have had to settle for whatever colors (or non-colors) the dealers had available (I’d say this is yet another argument for direct to consumer sales). It seems the dealers and manufacturers tend to favor the ‘safe’ non-colors that they know most people will settle for, even if they are not the customer’s first choice. Some people also feel pressured to go with a choice they are told with make it easier to re-sell in the future. If people mostly only find white, black and three shades of silver on the sales lot, the sales data will obviously show that’s what people usually buy. If so, this data might be meaningless in as much as people can only buy what is available. I’d be curious to know if there is a difference between buyer intent (such as what colors people choose in an online configurator) and what they go with when they purchase. Or maybe people really are more boring than I like to think?
I have a metallic white Acura. Back in the day white was the best choice because most products required 1 to 2 extra layers to appear white so you got the added protection of extra paint and more time to avoid rusting. That said I hated white all my life on cars because I thought of it as rental car white. Now I have the TLX type S with the metallic white with black trim accents and in the bright light it sparkles and looks like a million bucks-not to mention sporty but with the metallic I don’t see it as just white-I get a lot of compliments. As a designer and car lover I will NEVER buy black because as good as the body lines look in the sun - keeping them clean is impossible. I completely agree about silver-never understand the point of it-like you said, tries to mimic raw aluminum. That does lead me to justify medium gray tones-they allow the body lines and contours to show up but the gray tends to not look as dirty and personally I like gray-had a few shades of gray over the years but I’m over it now. Don’t get me wrong I’ve already said several times that black and white aren’t needed for Scout and silver should just be skipped altogether. I will say I live in the northeast and bright sunny colors aren’t my thing either-maybe we just aren’t super bright people 😀. I like a few flat colors as well but always tends to be gray tones. Maybe a light butter yellow or aqua- but matte is a nightmare to repair. I personally prefer to leave wraps to aftermarket which Jamie may have already noted in an earlier thread. When I see the restored Scouts I like the copper and I call it mahogany (reddish-brown). I also saw a Scout online that was done in a metallic bronze and it looked killer.

I have a metallic white Acura. Back in the day white was the best choice because most products required 1 to 2 extra layers to appear white so you got the added protection of extra paint and more time to avoid rusting. That said I hated white all my life on cars because I thought of it as rental car white. Now I have the TLX type S with the metallic white with black trim accents and in the bright light it sparkles and looks like a million bucks-not to mention sporty but with the metallic I don’t see it as just white-I get a lot of compliments. As a designer and car lover I will NEVER buy black because as good as the body lines look in the sun - keeping them clean is impossible. I completely agree about silver-never understand the point of it-like you said, tries to mimic raw aluminum. That does lead me to justify medium gray tones-they allow the body lines and contours to show up but the gray tends to not look as dirty and personally I like gray-had a few shades of gray over the years but I’m over it now. Don’t get me wrong I’ve already said several times that black and white aren’t needed for Scout and silver should just be skipped altogether. I will say I live in the northeast and bright sunny colors aren’t my thing either-maybe we just aren’t super bright people 😀. I like a few flat colors as well but always tends to be gray tones. Maybe a light butter yellow or aqua- but matte is a nightmare to repair-prefer to leave wraps to aftermarket which Jamie may have already noted in an earlier thread. When I see the restored Scouts I like the copper and I call it mahogany red/brown. I also saw a Scout online that was done in a metallic bronze and it looked killer

Attachments

• Scout bronze.PNG
    Scout bronze.PNG
    798.2 KB · Views: 14
Another color thought-not super bright but I love the muted, earthy greens that Volvo offers on the XC60 and the similar green offered on the defender. With a white top that would make a great color tone to explore. Still a touch of gray in it but a nice shade. I personally think the Bronco green is a touch off but not terrible

I like the idea of collections if I’m interpreting correctly. What if they set up like four collections-Coastal, wilderness, urban and desert/southwest. Then each group gets 3 or 4 colors (capacity of paint system) and ever 2 years a new color gets introduced to each as another color retires. Maybe interior schemes are also grouped to this. I think you can still pick a wilderness exterior with an urban interior but maybe this helps people choose who struggle. Land Rover on their build site always starts you with a recommended package but allows full modifications-maybe something like that could work with Scout. Just spit balling based on @Chaparral collection comment above

Some of the teaser mock ups look familiar

Attachments

• 20230404_153403.jpg
    20230404_153403.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I like the idea of collections if I’m interpreting correctly. What if they set up like four collections-Coastal, wilderness, urban and desert/southwest. Then each group gets 3 or 4 colors (capacity of paint system) and ever 2 years a new color gets introduced to each as another color retires. Maybe interior schemes are also grouped to this. I think you can still pick a wilderness exterior with an urban interior but maybe this helps people choose who struggle. Land Rover on their build site always starts you with a recommended package but allows full modifications-maybe something like that could work with Scout. Just spit balling based on @Chaparral collection comment above
Even if they just offer one collection of colors and even if it might not have an obvious theme, the set of colors should work together. There are certain mathematical relationships that link colors that work together. If those colors are plotted on a color wheel they fall along certain kinds of bezier curves. Color experts understand how it all works. Basically, if you start with one or two colors and choose the type of mathematical relationship you can generate a full spectrum of harmonious colors that all fall along a curve. This narrows down the choice and from these you would select the other colors in a collection. The resulting set of colors might not have a theme as such but will have a feel that might be described more abstractly. It seems that somehow the brain is able to recognize that the colors are related even if we do not visualize the math. They just seem right.

Rather than switching new colors in and out one at a time the entire set of colors should regularly be updated together. Perhaps in a way that retains some of the most popular colors with a very subtle shift that makes them fresh. This would make the entire lineup always seem new. I like the green on the Defender but they have had that for how many years now? It should be periodically refreshed with the color shifting slightly. I know a lot of people think that green is too silvery. If that color kept shifting a bit people would have to keep reassessing it and talking about it. That generates attention for the product and it makes the new car always feel new and special when it is not identical to one from 5 years ago.

Color might seem simple, like it is just a case of picking a variety of peoples favorites and making sure there is something for everyone. I don’t think it is simple and I think this is an area where there is opportunity to do much better than what other car manufacturers are doing. I think Scout should consult with a color expert from outside of the auto industry.

Sad to stumble over this article tonight. How depressing!
Yea, unfortunately the reality is that most people keep their colors pretty neutral. But, with the right designs (Scout), some of the more fun colors tend to pop (similar to the cuda in the article). I love the old pastels and bright pops of color that some of the classic Scouts sported, and can say we'll be working to bring some cool colors to these cars also. Black, white, gray are all standard colors and will sell, but color brings life to the vehicle, so will definitely have some cool options there.

Yea, unfortunately the reality is that most people keep their colors pretty neutral. But, with the right designs (Scout), some of the more fun colors tend to pop (similar to the cuda in the article). I love the old pastels and bright pops of color that some of the classic Scouts sported, and can say we'll be working to bring some cool colors to these cars also. Black, white, gray are all standard colors and will sell, but color brings life to the vehicle, so will definitely have some cool options there.
I know you and Jamie will do right by us. I do still think instead of white it should be a vintage creamy pale beige-with white top. Buyers who like white could choose that and then it would have character. Or a super pale warm gray so the roof contrasts a bit

I know you and Jamie will do right by us. I do still think instead of white it should be a vintage creamy pale beige-with white top. Buyers who like white could choose that and then it would have character. Or a super pale warm gray so the roof contrasts a bit
That'd actually be a cool option. I'm a big fan of the gray that Lydia Mills has on her Scout.

That'd actually be a cool option. I'm a big fan of the gray that Lydia Mills has on her Scout.
Hers is great. These are two others I’ve seen on web that have a nice vintage but it’s as much shape and vehicle as it is color

Attachments

• Scout cream.PNG
    Scout cream.PNG
    200.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Scout pale bronze.PNG
    Scout pale bronze.PNG
    184.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: EagleDad
I love the idea of just using the first colors available on the release of the original Scout's. I'm a simple man and would just love to go with White Cap White, please don't make it metallic, I prefer the newer flat/chalk looking colors if you are planning to adjust it any. My favorite color offering recently from VW is the Silver White LB9Z which actually says it's a metallic, but has more of that chalky look.