1978 Scout II Rallye

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

ZachBecan23

1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2023
Siloam Springs, AR
Purchased from the original owner in 2020. After 2 years of work, me and my dad got it to the current state. Has a 345 V8 and 3 speed automatic, which are original to the Scout. I located factory accessories such as the winch bumper and spare tire carrier locally, and added a factory style rollbar. Currently sitting on a 4in lift with 33x12.5 r15 tires on 15x10 -48 offset Weld Racing Forged Typhoons.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    954 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1493.jpeg
    IMG_1493.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5209.jpeg
    IMG_5209.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5207.jpeg
    IMG_5207.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6952.jpeg
    IMG_6952.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Nice work on that Scout. Embassy Gray is a fairly uncommon color and it goes nicely with the Rallye applique.
I’ve actually owned 3 Embassy Gray Scout IIs and seen at least 2 others pop up where I live. I know the color isn’t common, but am curious if location may also have something to do with that?

Reactions: J Alynn
There is often a regional component to color choices. In my experience, Embassy Gray is most common in the Southeast. Where was your Scout sold? Do you have the LST?

Reactions: ZachBecan23
There is often a regional component to color choices. In my experience, Embassy Gray is most common in the Southeast. Where was your Scout sold? Do you have the LST?
It came out of Springdale, Arkansas. My other Embassy Gray Scout came out of Dallas. Both LSTs attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6176.jpeg
    IMG_6176.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    750.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6180.jpeg
    IMG_6180.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: ScoutScribe
Purchased from the original owner in 2020. After 2 years of work, me and my dad got it to the current state. Has a 345 V8 and 3 speed automatic, which are original to the Scout. I located factory accessories such as the winch bumper and spare tire carrier locally, and added a factory style rollbar. Currently sitting on a 4in lift with 33x12.5 r15 tires on 15x10 -48 offset Weld Racing Forged Typhoons.
Awesome job, you should be very proud!

Well, the '79 is something special, because it's one of the "Uptfitter's Package" Midas, of which there were only 92. It's listed as a "Show Unit," which indicates it was liekly used in shows or for PR work at some point. I checked the images I have from the '79 Chicago Auto Show, but didn't see one like it. In the Blue package, as this one is, it was pretty much a normal Midas. BUT, there was a Black Outfitter's Package, whith a black interior. Only 19 of the blacks are listed. They were built from August 3 to 21, 1978. Other than the black ones, they appear to be virtually the same as any other Midas but apparently they designated them differnetly for that short period before going back to the standard system after 21 August. It also had a standard IH applique, rather than the optional Midas hand-painted graphics, the 10864 black side panel (see on page 337 of teh Scout book.. It's stunning in Embassy Gray with that applique.