D60E2530-A05F-4DD4-84BF-C52C0DC21987 (1).JPG

cmpelton / 1977 Scout II

1977 Scout II, 1972 Grill, originally Omaha Orange and repainted green, T-18, 304.
  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
  • Welcome Guest to the Scout Registry!

Our goal is to create the largest Scout Registry in the world. If you own a Scout vehicle, regardless of year or condition, we would love to see it.

Just click on the "Add Vehicle" button and you can start the process. You can add a Title (your user name, model year, etc.), Brief Description (color name, model year, model) and a "Tell Us More About Your Scout:" where you can enter in your backstory, details about your Scout, modifications, restoration history, fun ownership stories and photos of your vehicle. You can also come back and modify or add to your registry entry at any time.

Also, please upload photos if you have them. You can also embed the photos into your story that you create so that people can see larger versions.

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your Scout!
1977 Scout II, 1972 Grill, originally Omaha Orange and repainted green, T-18, 304.

Tell us about your Scout:

This Scout started as a fleet truck for the University of Tennessee Forestry Dept. It's a bare-bones model, coming with no radio (a delete plate), no antenna hole was ever cut, and there were no dealer options.

In the late 80s it was retired from the Forestry Dept. and my dad transferred it for use as his field truck in the Wildlife & Fisheries Dept. on a black bear research project in the Great Smoky Mountains Nat. Park. I coincidentally worked on this project and drove the Scout as a high school and college student. When my father retired in 2000, his students bought the Scout for him at the University Auction as a retirement gift (for $500!).

This is when he repainted it green (I believe 'Tam O Shanter' Green from earlier Scout models) and moved it to his VA farm for use driving up the mountain and to run errands, etc.

I acquired it in 2010 and moved it back to TN to use as a daily-driver. After 5 or so years it became pretty unsafe, and I retired it from daily use to only weekends. In 2018 I dropped it off with Levi at Old Iron Offroad in Crossville, TN to await restoration work. I picked it up in July 2020. Work done while at Old Iron was extensive: New floors, rockers, wedge mounts, body mounts, 2.5" suspension refresh, rear quarters, engine resealed and painted, added a modern brake booster, added Hamilton Fuel Injection, repainted the hard top white, clear-coated the rest, fresh stock steel wheels, recovered seats, and buttoned up the wiring. It's now my daily driver again, and I couldn't be happier. I am slowly adding refinements, like a new headliner, center console, hubcaps, etc. but the main work was with Levi.

I bought my first Scout for $2000 when I turned 17 (a 1975 2WD, 4-cylinder XLC model in Grenoble Green), and drove it all through college. It has been a real honor to be able to also own my dad's, and I look forward to the many adventures to come.

(will add more pics at a later date)

D60E2530-A05F-4DD4-84BF-C52C0DC21987 (1).JPG
Reactions: Bodie and Harris005

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Vehicle information

Category
SCOUT II™
Added by
cmpelton
Views
Last update