IMG_0866-crop2k.jpg

1971 IH Scout 810 - 392 v8 auto - "The blue duck commander"

Truly a southern Scout originally from Arkansas and was a hunting truck in Georgia for many years. We call it the blue duck commander because it had Duck commander stickers on the doors and was rattle can camo that was sprayed over in duck egg blue.
  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
  • Welcome Guest to the Scout Registry!

Our goal is to create the largest Scout Registry in the world. If you own a Scout vehicle, regardless of year or condition, we would love to see it.

Just click on the "Add Vehicle" button and you can start the process. You can add a Title (your user name, model year, etc.), Brief Description (color name, model year, model) and a "Tell Us More About Your Scout:" where you can enter in your backstory, details about your Scout, modifications, restoration history, fun ownership stories and photos of your vehicle. You can also come back and modify or add to your registry entry at any time.

Also, please upload photos if you have them. You can also embed the photos into your story that you create so that people can see larger versions.

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your Scout!
Truly a southern Scout originally from Arkansas and was a hunting truck in Georgia for many years. We call it the blue duck commander because it had Duck commander stickers on the doors and was rattle can camo that was sprayed over in duck egg blue.

Tell us about your Scout:

The hunt for a Scout wasn't a quick one as many of you already know. However, when you find "the one", you better jump on it. I found this Scout in Vidalia, Georgia and made a quick offer. I drove down the next day and hauled her home.
The truck was full of pine needles and dirt-dobbers. Probably wasn't driven in months, maybe even a year. It took weeks of driving to burn off the old engine smoky smell. If you're a car guy, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
The "blue duck commander" is aptly named because she had the General Lee on the hood, an American flag on the roof and was camo sprayed painted that had been completely sprayed over in duck egg blue. Yet, the stickers on the door and tailgate still remained. If you look closely, you can still see the lettering for the Duck Commander logo on the doors and on the tailgate, it says "Give me Liberty or Give me Death". This for sure was a good ol' boy hunting truck. Now it is our beer and ice cream truck because we really only drive it for fun and some quick trips around town.
She died on our first test drive a half mile from our house. The wife was disappointed and frustrated but I was excited to fix whatever ailed her. Over the past 3+ years, I've completely rewired the truck and rebuilt the carburetor, sealed up some leaks, ran new fuel and vapor lines. I also have a cut 'n turn disc 30 axle ready to go in the front.
Eventually, we may pull the body and address some rusty spots. But why?! She runs and drives which makes a tough decision to take it out of commission for awhile.
Funny enough, as I was working on the wiring and cooling, I kept looking over it thinking this isn't a 304 as it originally came with. It just can't be a 304 but I didn't care. It was surely an IH engine though.
While I was attending my first Scout meet, I learned that the engine size is stamped on the side of the block. We grabbed a rag and scrubbed off the grime and low and behold, someone dropped a 392 in there. Boy! That explains a lot. This ol' blue duck hauls ass with this massive 6.4 V8. She's dangerously fast, lifted and riding on 35s with the top wide open is the best feeling in the world. You can't stop smiling when you're driving it.

IMG_0866-crop2k.jpg

IMG_5468-2k.jpg

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Vehicle information

Category
SCOUT II™
Added by
Lorenzo816
Views
Last update

More in SCOUT II™