What kind of tech do you expect enabled in the car or interface?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I have solar in Alaska, 3 months of dark…. And I’m ~2500 miles further north than you…. My ROI was 7 years.
At the time we were exploring solar roofs and solar field for a 240 unit 50+ neighborhood so 1-story homes with large roof areas. After exploration the payback couldn’t be justified. Not arguing-just stating facts based on working with energy consultants. We went with horizontal geothermal under the largest retention basin as our final decision. That actually worked much better financially. All that said-I’m extremely biased. As an architect, solar panels on roofs are terrible aesthetically. I’m all in favor of solar fields, wind turbines, etc.. when planned properly but solar panels are worse than 4-5 satellite dishes sticking off of homes. We all have our pet-peaves and dislikes and that is mine. I’m off my soapbox now. I’ll bow out gracefully on the topic

No need for driver assist stuff: I despise the nanny-ware on other cars like lane keeping. Try out a high end Volvo, then make it the opposite of that, those cars are infuriating with all the non stop warnings and beeping and weird steering responses. The only ADAS function I want is adaptive cruise and maybe descent/crawl mode for off road.
I agree with this completely. This is something I'm not fond of in my tesla. while I'm sure the driver assist features are useful for 90% of everyday users...car enthusiasts typically do not need/want driver assist features.

Here is a list of a few drivers assist / nanny-aware features in my BMW and tesla that i have experience with and don't like:

• BMW front collision warning/Breaking: this system works terribly. Not only does the system chime loudly when it detects a garbage can on the side of the road on a turn that happens to be in front of you for a moment, but it also breaks when i'm trying to pull into my garage. If I'm trying to inch forward it will break and just make it suck
  • Tesla lane departure warnings: the lane departure warnings usually are just fine on the tesla but there are some finicky times that the car thinks I'm going to crash. Apparently turning in to my neighbor's driveway is one of those instances.... even though i have my blinker on and everything the car will yell at me and tell me to "TAKE OVER IMMEDIATLY."
  • Tesla auto take over: While i've seen countless videos of Teslas taking over the steering and reducing or even avoiding a collision there are sometimes that make it frustrating. I've only experienced this once but i was taking an off ramp from one highway to another. I know how to drive so i took an aggressive line through the curve and anticipated the next curve. However, there was a guard rail that the car thought was a grave threat and steered me away from it.... that kind of nanny is not appreciated.
  • Tesla Auto blinkers: This was a new feature from an update a few weeks ago. The blinkers would automatically turn off after a lane change. In the beginning it was helpful because sometimes lane changes take longer than the standard 3 blinks for a soft indicator. But the computer tried to think too much. often it thought the hump in the middle of a residential street was the lane line and would turn off my blinker too early. or it wouldn't count it as a lane change if i moved into a new lane (to include left /right turn lane)...in the end i turned it off because it wasn't saving my any extra thinking while driving.

the only driver assist feature i do think is important is a front collision and break engagement system. Just being real there are situations that a computer can act upon that can make a big difference in a split-second scenario. While i really like Tesla's Auto pilot (adaptive cruise control and auto steer for lane keeping on highway), I don't expect or do I really want it for the scout. I only road trip a few times per year and so it isn't something i use every day.

Reactions: Harris005
I agree with this completely. This is something I'm not fond of in my tesla. while I'm sure the driver assist features are useful for 90% of everyday users...car enthusiasts typically do not need/want driver assist features.

Here is a list of a few drivers assist / nanny-aware features in my BMW and tesla that i have experience with and don't like:

• BMW front collision warning/Breaking: this system works terribly. Not only does the system chime loudly when it detects a garbage can on the side of the road on a turn that happens to be in front of you for a moment, but it also breaks when i'm trying to pull into my garage. If I'm trying to inch forward it will break and just make it suck
  • Tesla lane departure warnings: the lane departure warnings usually are just fine on the tesla but there are some finicky times that the car thinks I'm going to crash. Apparently turning in to my neighbor's driveway is one of those instances.... even though i have my blinker on and everything the car will yell at me and tell me to "TAKE OVER IMMEDIATLY."
  • Tesla auto take over: While i've seen countless videos of Teslas taking over the steering and reducing or even avoiding a collision there are sometimes that make it frustrating. I've only experienced this once but i was taking an off ramp from one highway to another. I know how to drive so i took an aggressive line through the curve and anticipated the next curve. However, there was a guard rail that the car thought was a grave threat and steered me away from it.... that kind of nanny is not appreciated.
  • Tesla Auto blinkers: This was a new feature from an update a few weeks ago. The blinkers would automatically turn off after a lane change. In the beginning it was helpful because sometimes lane changes take longer than the standard 3 blinks for a soft indicator. But the computer tried to think too much. often it thought the hump in the middle of a residential street was the lane line and would turn off my blinker too early. or it wouldn't count it as a lane change if i moved into a new lane (to include left /right turn lane)...in the end i turned it off because it wasn't saving my any extra thinking while driving.

the only driver assist feature i do think is important is a front collision and break engagement system. Just being real there are situations that a computer can act upon that can make a big difference in a split-second scenario. While i really like Tesla's Auto pilot (adaptive cruise control and auto steer for lane keeping on highway), I don't expect or do I really want it for the scout. I only road trip a few times per year and so it isn't something i use every day.
I agree with you on the majority. That said, to get the highest crash rating all that crap is required and I’m sure Scout Motors can’t avoid it. I think they should add it all in and then for $20 cash, the dealer should have the forescan set as first option to disable each and every item a buyer doesn’t want to deal with. Having a young driver I think those safety features are all very worthwhile. As a seasoned, spirited driver I hate every single one of them except…. Sometimes I like the parking sensors when pulling in my garage but a front camera switch solves that and avoids forced braking as you mentioned. Should be a manual way to turn on and off but I guess that creates liability 🤔

I turned off auto signal and lane departure warning on my 2018 model 3 in the settings options.

My 2013 Lexus LX had buttons to turn on/off almost all the nanny’s.

For an off roader being able to turn off parking sensors is a must.

-Wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play
-App interface. (Similar to FordPass)
-6" touch screen radio standard. 10" upgrade option
-Dedicated spot for large phone to sit (possibly wireless charge
-360° camera with sensors on all corners
-Physical knobs/ buttons and touch screen Climate control. Dual climate control option
-Amient Lighting with multiple colors
-Digital gauges that mimic the Scout ii
-Heated Steering wheel option
-Standard 4way adjustable bucket seats. 8way option
-Selectable Drive modes
-Hill Descend mode
-Automatic lift glass and rear tailgate
-2 or 3 speed shiftable electronic gearbox
-Variable Ride Height Adjustment

As I sit here in my wife’s Acura MSX on a 9 hour trek from central Pa to Louisville I’ve come up with another suggestion. Integrated charging cords that automatically spool into the console and rear seat area. My wife’s phone is on the mag charger and her phone case is hit or miss. So for the moment while running navigation apps she is now using the rear cord charger. My daughter’s in the back with hers plugged in and I’m killing my battery posting this because the rest of our cords are in the travel bag in the rear out of reach. Cords running everywhere. If there could be a spooling coil USB connector (so various charger cords could connect) that hides the cords that would be cool-though probably pricy. Then you could always have several in the vehicle but tucked out of sight rather that hanging all over the front and rear floor/console areas.
Or maybe a ledge shelf at passenger and rear center console with add options for more mag chargers. Vehicles seem to have room for 20 water bottles/yetis but only a few usb ports for the potential 4-5 passengers all carry/using phones

There are a lot of good ideas presented but I just want a 4x4 with some basic amenities. The less stuff there is, the less stuff will break. I would prefer most things to be controlled directly, not through a central computer, and use real switches and knobs. Put in a bank of extra ones like Bronco.
Minimum- Big screen with Apple Car play/Android Auto. Any app I want, including navigation is on the phone and always updated. Have a Scout App that can be used for interface with the truck when required but only when selected by the owner (secure). *ENSURE YOUR SOFTWARE IS FORT KNOX LEVEL SECURE. An EV is a computer on wheels and they will be hacked.
Everything needs to be waterproof (electronics/seats/floors) because the top will be off. If the top doesn't come off, my opinions don't matter because I won't buy it.
Everything else can be in option packages.

There are a lot of good ideas presented but I just want a 4x4 with some basic amenities. The less stuff there is, the less stuff will break. I would prefer most things to be controlled directly, not through a central computer, and use real switches and knobs. Put in a bank of extra ones like Bronco.
Minimum- Big screen with Apple Car play/Android Auto. Any app I want, including navigation is on the phone and always updated. Have a Scout App that can be used for interface with the truck when required but only when selected by the owner (secure). *ENSURE YOUR SOFTWARE IS FORT KNOX LEVEL SECURE. An EV is a computer on wheels and they will be hacked.
Everything needs to be waterproof (electronics/seats/floors) because the top will be off. If the top doesn't come off, my opinions don't matter because I won't buy it.
Everything else can be in option packages.
I agree with everything you said but i just want to point out that "real switches and knobs" will be simply connected to the central computer, nothing even in modern ICE cars is a separate / direct / independent system any more.

I agree that it would be ideal to have offroad maps/nav. Even though most owners won't ever go off road, it's a great selling point. But a word of advice from a guy who has worked in mapping and autonomous vehicle nav for 30+ years... don't build the app yourself! It's way harder that you would think and there are some really good apps out there that you can integrate into the onboard system (and it limits the liability issues). No need to reinvent the wheel.

Features like lane-keeping, adaptive cruise, driver+, emergency braking, etc. also make driving safer (not just for you, but for other drivers around you). However, most of these functions are controlled through SETTINGS, so where possible, you can simply disable or disengage these functions (or elect not to use them during your drive). Personally, and when on a long-haul on well marked HWY, Driver+ is great in the R1T. On long drives from point A to point B, on HWY, and over hours, there isn't a great deal of variability. Might as well let the car drive itself, and relax a bit. Once off the HWY, that is a completely different story. Also, these features have been improved over time, so newer makes and models can take advantage of faster processing speeds, better cameras, sensors, and SW.
Completely agree with you on the safety features, R1TVT. I won't even consider the Grenadier because it doesn't have what I believe to be fundamental safety features for my family, me, and the drivers around me. As you stated, just allow the driver to disable the features they don't want.

Reactions: R1TVT and J Alynn
I agree that it would be ideal to have offroad maps/nav. Even though most owners won't ever go off road, it's a great selling point. But a word of advice from a guy who has worked in mapping and autonomous vehicle nav for 30+ years... don't build the app yourself! It's way harder that you would think and there are some really good apps out there that you can integrate into the onboard system (and it limits the liability issues). No need to reinvent the wheel.
The CO TREX app is a shining example of what off-road mapping can be.

Reactions: J Alynn
When you say justify, are you referring to payback terms? You should absolutely be able to justify solar in PA (provided you own your own house and don't plan to move within 5 years or so). Even if you do end up moving, having a modern solar array can increase the value of your home. The interesting thing about having an electric truck is that it will make that justification even better, assuming you add a home charger. If you plan to install solar with a system like a Tesla power wall (for example) that will typically double the cost of a solar installation, so that is an entirely different equation than tying directly into your utility. I live in New England and installed 20 400W Solaria panels on my last house, so an 8.0kW installation. This was prior to electricity prices increasing fairly drastically, and my payback period (based on buying the system outright, along with installation, and taking into consideration available incentives) was 6 years. With an EV added to the home, and with the increased kWH rates we see today, paybacks are now accelerated, although some costs for systems and components have of course also gone up. It is worth exploring. Solar on the vehicle itself would be great for a fridge and charging small electronics, however solar charging a Scout, with essentially one or two panels on a RTT or roof would likely take days based on the size of the battery pack and how much energy you can produce with a small array.
Which is why you order your Scout with the optional auxiliary solar awning because why camp without it.

Last edited:
Remote controlled retractable side step, with customized option to turn on or off on door open. Maybe even with a sensor to monitor retractable clearance.

Last edited:
In another thread on the retractable roof idea someone brought up the concept of putting in solar panels. I'm sure it's actually been brought up across several threads and I can't keep thinking of how simple, yet practical, the idea is.
I imagine by 2026 there will be panels, or even paint, that has the capability to harness the sun's rays. Even if it was to solely power all of the peripherals (windows, wipers, dash, usb chargers, lights, etc) outside the motor I have to imagine you'd be getting some material gains in power conservation.
I am actually astonished that there are no EVs that do this already. Even if you use the truck's bed, knowing it may be full most of the time, you'd be optimizing your surface area effectively.

Reactions: Rustic_father
In another thread on the retractable roof idea someone brought up the concept of putting in solar panels. I'm sure it's actually been brought up across several threads and I can't keep thinking of how simple, yet practical, the idea is.
I imagine by 2026 there will be panels, or even paint, that has the capability to harness the sun's rays. Even if it was to solely power all of the peripherals (windows, wipers, dash, usb chargers, lights, etc) outside the motor I have to imagine you'd be getting some material gains in power conservation.
I am actually astonished that there are no EVs that do this already. Even if you use the truck's bed, knowing it may be full most of the time, you'd be optimizing your surface area effectively.
I agree with your assessment. Even if the solar panels give a few hundred watts per hour that would be enough to keep fans and coolant pumps running....and in an EV every little bit helps. Also if you are parked a few hundred watts per hour means you are gaining back a mile or two of range every hour....so if you are camping that could be very useful.

a normal 3x5 house panel has a rating of producing 400 watts. so given the size of the scout's roof it likely could fit the equivalent of two panels on the SUV and one on the Pick up. could you immagine your car producing ~500-600 watts per hour while your car is parked during work?

I wish my tonneau cover was made of retractable solar panels!

I personally have no idea what costs and logistics are involved with this, but I have to believe if there is money in it, at the very least the aftermarket will make something. I could also see it as an option on future OEM vehicles (not confirming or hinting anything on our end).

Yeah, was thinking something along the lines of these giant 360 degree awnings people put on their overland vehicles... The solar equivalent (~2.7KW) would be almost as good as plugging directly into a tree while camping, it's hard to say definitively though as it depends on if the tree is 240v or not.

Last edited:
Yeah, was thinking something along the lines of these giant 360 degree awnings people put on their overland vehicles... The solar equivalent (~2.7KW) would be almost as good as plugging directly into a tree while camping, it's hard to say definitively though as it depends on if the tree is 240v or not.

An awning like that in solar would weight at least 350-400 lbs more than the fabric one. So at least 500 lbs.