What If?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
An idea, but guessing the science/math shoot it down :sneaky:. The thought I was mulling over comes from the combination of range anxiety primarly being long road trips at highway speeds and windmill generators.

Who remembers this commercial?
hqdefault.jpg

At highway speeds we are creating a rapid air flow over the front of a vehicle. Would the incorperations of a series of long, narrow squirel cage fans in
View attachment 932
place of the old radiator location be able to harness enough energy at highway speeds to make a difference? My thinking was the guts of a generator would be mounted within something simular to the above picture. The mangets themselves would be attached to the inside of the rotational fan blade portion. Generators attached to either end would be an option too, and possibly easier to maintain. Weather would be a concern. Rain water would have to be deverted to drain out the bottom of the Scout, and snow and ice would have to be countered with a heating element.

In the spirit of this thread, an off the wall idea was thrown out there to gnaw on. ;) Maybe Scouts iconic square front end aligns well with the surface area needed to pull this off??
That is one of the BEST ideas!!!! Between a solar roof and windmill design there would no need to plug in.

Keep’m coming
I just lugged a power washer in my wife’s MDX. What a pain in the ass. Made me wonder about tie down locations. She has them in the back as do many SUV’s but wondering if ‘D’ ring mounts or something like a vertical handle could be integrated into the rear side/edges of the front seat? I had to tip it in (have hauled similar things with same issue in the past) and if I could have tethered it to something in the front to keep it tipped it would have been so much easier. Just thinking of adding some interior mounting points beyond the rear cargo area. Maybe a pair at the rear OS handles for upper connection angle

Different and unique but it’s too modern for me based on scout concepts. For Hyundai or Honda or a mainstream truck it’s a cool option for sure

Yeah but... make the retractor on the rear BED DECK... as a deck cover... for those running topless or as a pick-up configuration. But this is all hyperbole, as it is pretty clear this will be a 4 door unit and nothing like a Scout...

I think BMW is trying to capture the kinetic energy from the shocks going up and down. That’s not my idea, but it’s interesting.

What about an alternator or generator in the wheels? It would recharge as you travel, not just regenerative braking as you slow. I’m sure there are engineering hurdles, but as the thread suggests….

Transitioning windows that self adjust their tint. My iX has a glass roof that can chromatically become clear or opaque. That’s cool, but it would be better if it was automatic. I need tint in South Carolina during the day, but hate to roll down the window at night to see the side mirrors, etc.

Headlights with color temperature adjustment. That technology exists in home LED lighting. That would satisfy most of I think. I want old school white, while someone else was retina frying blue. Everyone wins!

A combination of the Jeep Sky One touch (but with hard panels instead of cloth) and the Fisker Ocean California mode where all windows roll down.

Front and rear charge ports.

Trunk and frunk liners that are sturdy enough to have handles and can be used to load and lift out/ carry items.

Quick/easy release rear seat to be used at a campsite or similar.

If we get air suspension…the ability to control it individually to level on uneven ground for those that camp out of it. I would more likely use that capability when hosing it out to make the water run to the drain holes.

Make the seat covers so they can be somewhat easily changed. I could see having a plaid cloth set and a vinyl set.
You mentioned lift out liners and is awesome. Sitting at another archery tournament today and everyone has the fold up wagons. What if lines went one step further and at the wheels. Lift out kids sports crap and the daily snacks, sun screen chairs etc. sit it on the ground and roll to the field. That would be even better
Also think a storage channel to store the freaking pop up sports canopy would be great. Could keep it in the car all the time

These ideas are not real crazy or way out.

When creating the 12v wiring harness that serves all the user stuff create and use just one harness with all the options pre-wired in all models/trims. That way if I decide to later add a dash cam or some other accessory which didn't come originally with my build I wouldn't have to dig into the harness for power or run extra wires. Maybe even add a couple of spare wires to the harness which can be accessed for remote add-ons power.

I'd like a high amperage line to both the front and back to power a portable/permanent winch. Easy access to strong anchor points for the winch, too.

Anchor points (bolts) for adding a front 2" hitch receiver. They are very useful for accurate positioning of trailers and mounting portable winches. (Work with Reese to match the standard mounting holes for front receivers.)

I can hardly believe I'm suggesting this for Scouts, but getting old and transporting even older friends enlightens one. Running boards probably don't need to be standard, but almost all pickups today come with threaded holes for the attachment of steps or running boards.

If you are a mail carrier on a rural route you can order a RHD Jeep. Is SM thinking of that market? Maybe for the 2nd year? There were other applications for RHD Scouts, too. If the Australians like the new Scout you better.

I came across this video which really explains why wind or other energy capture devices wouldn't work.
Yes the setup in this video will cost more energy than it can generate because it is on the roof subjecting the vehicle to much more air resistance than the vehicle would otherwise face without the fan. Whereas the engineer in the video posted earlier positioned and sized the fan blades such that the fan would generate energy mostly from air resistance the vehicle would be subjected to regardless of the fan due to the “brick in the wind” frontal area design of that vehicle. In other words it is to air resistance/drag as regenerative braking is to stopping, it is not creating “new” energy it is only recovering some of the energy lost to air resistance/drag due to the frontal profile of the vehicle, this is why the fan has to be in front and within the profile of the vehicle to be a net positive with respect to energy. Sorry if that wasn't explained in the video I posted earlier.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a decent accessory power distribution system pre-wired. Something like a SwitchPro, but with a decent guage wire (and posssibly PowerPole connectors in several easily accessable places (say for an electric fridge, or a quick plug in for the non-built in air compressor). As for as built in aux power - allow the user to decide if they turn off with the vehicle (sometimes I would love to keep my cell phone charging when I am parked).

Here is a fairly simple one that I have not seen before (accept in aftermarket) - how about a small fan that you could leave on (or would turn on) when the inside of the vehicle gets over 100 degrees... I like the climate controls of the Tesla - but just a fan to keep the inside close to ambiant would not take much electricity - and it would be that many less overheated cell phones, ruptured AA batteries, and blown up soda cans. Not that it should ever happen, but it might save lives as well (I hate to think how many dogs get cooked in vehicles every year).

Here is a fairly simple one that I have not seen before (accept in aftermarket) - how about a small fan that you could leave on (or would turn on) when the inside of the vehicle gets over 100 degrees... I like the climate controls of the Tesla - but just a fan to keep the inside close to ambiant would not take much electricity - and it would be that many less overheated cell phones, ruptured AA batteries, and blown up soda cans. Not that it should ever happen, but it might save lives as well (I hate to think how many dogs get cooked in vehicles every year).
It's been talked about in other threads on this forum, but Audi used to offer a sunroof with solar panels that would vent the cabin without making use of the vehicles battery.
https://www.autobytel.com/what-is-the-audi-solar-sunroof

It might be a bit more difficult to incorporate on the (cough) removable roof (cough), but I'm sure Scout could figure it out. ;)

What if…
The rear portion of the removable hardtop had an internal clamshell-like design. It could hing down at the rear (hinges just rear of the back seats)and be enough to store emergency kit, some bungees, blanket and other misc ‘soft’ pack items (you know-10 kilos of a powdery substance) or even your 5 day supply of freeze dried meals that don’t need a lot of space. Could be a release lever at the interior roof just inside the rear opening. Could drop just a couple inches down taking very little space, still providing rear visibility but allowing for just a little extra storage.
Could also tie into an earlier suggestion I made but maybe it has power and you could mount a flat screen tv on the drop lid and use it when tailgating?

What if…
The rear portion of the removable hardtop had an internal clamshell-like design. It could hing down at the rear (hinges just rear of the back seats)and be enough to store emergency kit, some bungees, blanket and other misc ‘soft’ pack items (you know-10 kilos of a powdery substance) or even your 5 day supply of freeze dried meals that don’t need a lot of space. Could be a release lever at the interior roof just inside the rear opening. Could drop just a couple inches down taking very little space, still providing rear visibility but allowing for just a little extra storage.
Could also tie into an earlier suggestion I made but maybe it has power and you could mount a flat screen tv on the drop lid and use it when tailgating?
I already suggested a Targa Top... I don't think it's happening.

I hate to be the annoying guy who shoots this down but that is a snake oil remedy. The main problem is the conservation of energy principal.

1)The turbines will create drag.
2) turbines won't be 100% efficient, so they won't be able to capture all of the energy that is required to operate them
3) The energy to move those turbines needs to come from some where...which will be coming from the wind generated by moving the vehicle forward.
4) The energy to move the vehicle forward will be done with the electric motors

So in summary energy will be required to move the vehicle forward, with extra resistance from the turbines and that extra resistance will not be fully re-captured by the turbine.
I was skimming back over this thread tonight. I’m not challenging-in fact I’m dumb and just asking. If the front of the Scout is a vertical plain, would there really be any more resistance to the mini turbine than if the air/wind was just hitting the front face of the vehicle? I could see if you wanted to mount that above the windshield where one might put a light bar-definitely adding wind resistance but if it were integrated into some slot openings on the front of the vertical grill plain I have to think there would be a positive gain? Help me understand if you will-just can’t figure out what I’m missing with this.
Perhaps it should be mounted inside the frunk and SM could throw in a hamster of the month to keep it running 😀

I was skimming back over this thread tonight. I’m not challenging-in fact I’m dumb and just asking. If the front of the Scout is a vertical plain, would there really be any more resistance to the mini turbine than if the air/wind was just hitting the front face of the vehicle? I could see if you wanted to mount that above the windshield where one might put a light bar-definitely adding wind resistance but if it were integrated into some slot openings on the front of the vertical grill plain I have to think there would be a positive gain? Help me understand if you will-just can’t figure out what I’m missing with this.
Perhaps it should be mounted inside the frunk and SM could throw in a hamster of the month to keep it running 😀

My uranium chip idea is looking better and better now huh?

Electric vehicle doesn’t need/have a traditional grill but it could have a non-traditional grill 😀

Sorry- my response was to @Harris005 post below

An idea, but guessing the science/math shoot it down :sneaky:. The thought I was mulling over comes from the combination of range anxiety primarly being long road trips at highway speeds and windmill generators.

Who remembers this commercial?
hqdefault.jpg

At highway speeds we are creating a rapid air flow over the front of a vehicle. Would the incorperations of a series of long, narrow squirel cage fans in
1682954514460.png

place of the old radiator location be able to harness enough energy at highway speeds to make a difference? My thinking was the guts of a generator would be mounted within something simular to the above picture. The mangets themselves would be attached to the inside of the rotational fan blade portion. Generators attached to either end would be an option too, and possibly easier to maintain. Weather would be a concern. Rain water would have to be deverted to drain out the bottom of the Scout, and snow and ice would have to be countered with a heating element.

In the spirit of this thread, an off the wall idea was thrown out there to gnaw on. ;) Maybe Scouts iconic square front end aligns well with the surface area needed to pull this off??

Im curious to know if the Scout is being made to be a true off road capable vehicle or a city crawler? Being all electric what sort of draw would be put onto the system when using a winch? If it's possible the benefits of a rear winch to me are more advantageous at times than a front. I see a lot of value in having both a front and rear mounted winch option.

Im curious to know if the Scout is being made to be a true off road capable vehicle or a city crawler? Being all electric what sort of draw would be put onto the system when using a winch? If it's possible the benefits of a rear winch to me are more advantageous at times than a front. I see a lot of value in having both a front and rear mounted winch option.

Do you really have to ask?

Sorry- my response was to @Harris005 post below

Negative. Science and math WILL shoot that down everytime. The 1st law of thermodynamics, as it related to power consumption, states that you cannot consume more energy than you produce. Is it possible to produce power while using power to propel a vehicle forward? Yes, of course, but there is no way to do what you propose in this universe. If there were, and it was implemented on a larger scale, there would be an infinite power supply available (one that could keep growing and never lose energy!)

Reactions: J Alynn
truck_frontview.jpg

If by “positive gain” you mean could a vehicle with a properly sized/positioned turbine within the “red area” like that of the picture above recover some of the energy that would otherwise be lost to air resistance (i.e. improve the efficiency of the vehicle)... then yes. Whether it makes sense to do so however would depend greatly on what could otherwise be achieved by just making the vehicle more aerodynamic instead, as a turbine would add weight and could only recover some of the energy lost to poor aero. You’re not dumb nor missing anything, other posters are simply conflating two very different concepts covered by the videos below.

Massively adding drag (i.e. ”red area”) to a system, that it wouldn’t otherwise have, and then trying to recover some of the energy lost due to this newly added drag; all while recovering none of the energy lost to the drag of the original system:

VS

Recovering some of the energy that would otherwise be lost to drag inherent to the original system whilst adding as little new drag as possible:

To quote a viewer...
1711363758374.png

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn