What If?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

J Alynn

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
We spent a lot of time discussing wants, needs, etc… and we’ve compared Bronco/Wrangler and Rivian and Tesla.
But What If there was some crazy item you’ve always thought would be cool in a vehicle. At some point somebody suggested a vacuum in minivans.
In high school I designed a car with a new idea-never patented it and a year later Subaru offered it. It was a mini metal roll top cover that came down over the radio face and locked wit the car key to prevent/or make more difficult for a car thief to steal.
I’m guessing others might have an offbeat idea that could be a new great feature.
-We’ve talked about the bottle opener-not new but I never thought about that.
-Loop hooks at the inside top edges of the roof to “mount” fishing rods when traveling.
-how about extra speakers integrated where the grill is so when tailgating you could push tunes out from the front of the vehicle
-maybe a connection to emergency services that alerts you visually and audibly when an ambulance or fire truck is approaching at your location so you can pull out of the way faster. With stop sign recognition maybe something that tracks train crossings to improve safety
-could inside of the tailgate have a swing up cushioned back rest to create a bench when sitting on the tailgate
-side hooks with heavy duty water proof bags to drop in wet/sandy clothes and shoes that could then be pulled out and rinsed or washed in the washing machine
-maybe a heavy m sh back that mounts below the rear floor for they same stuff listed above. Then it can drip dry on the way home.
-pop out/compression release usb/plug jacks that are in the ends of the front or rear arm rests. Airplanes make use of the arm rests, why not cars. Maybe you get sunglass storage in the armrest space so the overhead console can have switches like the Bronco has.

Just some of my crazy thoughts. Do you have any off beat ideas we might all love and come to realize they are simple but super convenient and can’t believe nobody offered it before?

We spent a lot of time discussing wants, needs, etc… and we’ve compared Bronco/Wrangler and Rivian and Tesla.
But What If there was some crazy item you’ve always thought would be cool in a vehicle. At some point somebody suggested a vacuum in minivans.
In high school I designed a car with a new idea-never patented it and a year later Subaru offered it. It was a mini metal roll top cover that came down over the radio face and locked wit the car key to prevent/or make more difficult for a car thief to steal.
I’m guessing others might have an offbeat idea that could be a new great feature.
-We’ve talked about the bottle opener-not new but I never thought about that.
-Loop hooks at the inside top edges of the roof to “mount” fishing rods when traveling.
-how about extra speakers integrated where the grill is so when tailgating you could push tunes out from the front of the vehicle
-maybe a connection to emergency services that alerts you visually and audibly when an ambulance or fire truck is approaching at your location so you can pull out of the way faster. With stop sign recognition maybe something that tracks train crossings to improve safety
-could inside of the tailgate have a swing up cushioned back rest to create a bench when sitting on the tailgate
-side hooks with heavy duty water proof bags to drop in wet/sandy clothes and shoes that could then be pulled out and rinsed or washed in the washing machine
-maybe a heavy m sh back that mounts below the rear floor for they same stuff listed above. Then it can drip dry on the way home.
-pop out/compression release usb/plug jacks that are in the ends of the front or rear arm rests. Airplanes make use of the arm rests, why not cars. Maybe you get sunglass storage in the armrest space so the overhead console can have switches like the Bronco has.

Just some of my crazy thoughts. Do you have any off beat ideas we might all love and come to realize they are simple but super convenient and can’t believe nobody offered it before?
An idea, but guessing the science/math shoot it down :sneaky:. The thought I was mulling over comes from the combination of range anxiety primarly being long road trips at highway speeds and windmill generators.

Who remembers this commercial?
hqdefault.jpg

At highway speeds we are creating a rapid air flow over the front of a vehicle. Would the incorperations of a series of long, narrow squirel cage fans in
1682954514460.png
place of the old radiator location be able to harness enough energy at highway speeds to make a difference? My thinking was the guts of a generator would be mounted within something simular to the above picture. The mangets themselves would be attached to the inside of the rotational fan blade portion. Generators attached to either end would be an option too, and possibly easier to maintain. Weather would be a concern. Rain water would have to be deverted to drain out the bottom of the Scout, and snow and ice would have to be countered with a heating element.

In the spirit of this thread, an off the wall idea was thrown out there to gnaw on. ;) Maybe Scouts iconic square front end aligns well with the surface area needed to pull this off??

I think BMW is trying to capture the kinetic energy from the shocks going up and down. That’s not my idea, but it’s interesting.

What about an alternator or generator in the wheels? It would recharge as you travel, not just regenerative braking as you slow. I’m sure there are engineering hurdles, but as the thread suggests….

Transitioning windows that self adjust their tint. My iX has a glass roof that can chromatically become clear or opaque. That’s cool, but it would be better if it was automatic. I need tint in South Carolina during the day, but hate to roll down the window at night to see the side mirrors, etc.

Headlights with color temperature adjustment. That technology exists in home LED lighting. That would satisfy most of I think. I want old school white, while someone else was retina frying blue. Everyone wins!

A combination of the Jeep Sky One touch (but with hard panels instead of cloth) and the Fisker Ocean California mode where all windows roll down.

Front and rear charge ports.

Trunk and frunk liners that are sturdy enough to have handles and can be used to load and lift out/ carry items.

Quick/easy release rear seat to be used at a campsite or similar.

If we get air suspension…the ability to control it individually to level on uneven ground for those that camp out of it. I would more likely use that capability when hosing it out to make the water run to the drain holes.

Make the seat covers so they can be somewhat easily changed. I could see having a plaid cloth set and a vinyl set.

Another thought I had today thinking about spare tire storage and the full length pass-through. What if the tire was mounted at the top of the frunk with a flip down grill for storage access? You could add a roll-out tray option to make it easier. Only fear I have is those who decide to throw on 37’s on their new rims might get tight on space depending on how wide the tires get.

Attachments

• Scout frunk tire.PNG
    Scout frunk tire.PNG
    231 KB · Views: 13
Another thought I had today thinking about spare tire storage and the full length pass-through. What if the tire was mounted at the top of the frunk with a flip down grill for storage access? You could add a roll-out tray option to make it easier. Only fear I have is those who decide to throw on 37’s on their new rims might get tight on space depending on how wide the tires get.
I like that slide out idea. Keeps it clean and out of the sun, or away from the harsh environment underneath.

Man, something I have wanted for years (in every car I own) is an integrated front sun screen or cellular shade when parked. I know the windscreen curves, but I am sure there is a way to make it happen (and even manually deployable would be ok if regs block it being auto for safety reasons)…like the side curtains for children. I hate dragging around a folding sun visor it just is clunky but extremely necessary as it cuts back on how long to cool down (not to mention dash life).

An idea, but guessing the science/math shoot it down :sneaky:. The thought I was mulling over comes from the combination of range anxiety primarly being long road trips at highway speeds and windmill generators.

Who remembers this commercial?
hqdefault.jpg

At highway speeds we are creating a rapid air flow over the front of a vehicle. Would the incorperations of a series of long, narrow squirel cage fans in
View attachment 932
place of the old radiator location be able to harness enough energy at highway speeds to make a difference? My thinking was the guts of a generator would be mounted within something simular to the above picture. The mangets themselves would be attached to the inside of the rotational fan blade portion. Generators attached to either end would be an option too, and possibly easier to maintain. Weather would be a concern. Rain water would have to be deverted to drain out the bottom of the Scout, and snow and ice would have to be countered with a heating element.

In the spirit of this thread, an off the wall idea was thrown out there to gnaw on. ;) Maybe Scouts iconic square front end aligns well with the surface area needed to pull this off??
I hate to be the annoying guy who shoots this down but that is a snake oil remedy. The main problem is the conservation of energy principal.

1)The turbines will create drag.
2) turbines won't be 100% efficient, so they won't be able to capture all of the energy that is required to operate them
3) The energy to move those turbines needs to come from some where...which will be coming from the wind generated by moving the vehicle forward.
4) The energy to move the vehicle forward will be done with the electric motors

So in summary energy will be required to move the vehicle forward, with extra resistance from the turbines and that extra resistance will not be fully re-captured by the turbine.

I think BMW is trying to capture the kinetic energy from the shocks going up and down. That’s not my idea, but it’s interesting.

I have looked in to this, while it will generate some energy it would be very little and the added cost and weight makes it not worth it with current technologies.
What about an alternator or generator in the wheels? It would recharge as you travel, not just regenerative braking as you slow. I’m sure there are engineering hurdles, but as the thread suggests….

This is the same as the other reply i said. Conservation of energy. You are combining an electric motor that is not 100% efficient with a generator that won't be 100% efficient. So you are wasting more energy then you will get out at the end.

I have looked in to this, while it will generate some energy it would be very little and the added cost and weight makes it not worth it with current technologies.

This is the same as the other reply i said. Conservation of energy. You are combining an electric motor that is not 100% efficient with a generator that won't be 100% efficient. So you are wasting more energy then you will get out at the end.
This is the what if thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Maybe one of the darts thrown at the wall will find it’s bullseye.

I hate to be the annoying guy who shoots this down but that is a snake oil remedy. The main problem is the conservation of energy principal.

1)The turbines will create drag.
2) turbines won't be 100% efficient, so they won't be able to capture all of the energy that is required to operate them
3) The energy to move those turbines needs to come from some where...which will be coming from the wind generated by moving the vehicle forward.
4) The energy to move the vehicle forward will be done with the electric motors

So in summary energy will be required to move the vehicle forward, with extra resistance from the turbines and that extra resistance will not be fully re-captured by the turbine.

This is correct.

Even if these turbines only opened when you brake and acted as assisting air brakes they would only be capturing the same energy that would otherwise be captured by standard regenerative braking systems. They would also be very inefficient at this. Since standard regenerative braking utilizes the existing drive motors it is a much better solution.

I came across this article today. It is an interesting blend concept. There appears to be a solar “roof”/“sloop” or something. It appears it is retractable to provide full useage of the truck bed but it can acordian down to reveal not only solar panels but it would provide a more aerodynamic shape.

Thoughts?

I came across this article today. It is an interesting blend concept. There appears to be a solar “roof”/“sloop” or something. It appears it is retractable to provide full useage of the truck bed but it can acordian down to reveal not only solar panels but it would provide a more aerodynamic shape.

Thoughts?

Different and unique but it’s too modern for me based on scout concepts. For Hyundai or Honda or a mainstream truck it’s a cool option for sure

Reactions: Rustic_father
Not a new idea, Honda did it with the CRV, but its picnic table bed floor and water-tight cooler area underneath is a nice little feature.

Repositionable/pull out Bluetooth speakers. Would be handy for tailgating too.

I've seen articles that suspect Apple will open up its MagSafe standards to other devices. If it gains more universal use I'd love to see MagSafe in vehicles. I'd love to charge my phone but have the magnet to keep it from sliding around.

I'm not an engineer and I know magnets aren't cheap but I'd love some magnetic mounting points for temporary accessories when camping or working. If certain "MagSafe" spots on the vehicle allowed for something like a hook to attach to the side panels to dry clothes or towels. Or a temporary shelf so I can set a tool or lunch down but not on the ground (a place to just set stuff down is an area that seriously lacks in vehicles in general). Or a rechargeable LED flood light that can articulate for temporarily lighting a job site or campground (and if the mounting points were MagSafe then they could even power the lights). Or a way to mount a tablet for tailgating or your phone for group pictures. Or to hold a small trash bag. I love magnets, okay!

There would also need to be a way for the vehicle to detect when a magnetic exterior accessory is attached because people would definitely forget to remove them before driving. When you start the vehicle a big overlay on the cluster and screen would need to say magnet accessories need to be removed before driving if you've forgotten to detach anything.