What do you want in an off-road spec

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

J Alynn

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 14, 2022
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Just thought it might help to post a thread to get more technical info from buyers/enthusiasts who plan to off-road. I’ve said before pothole filled logging trail is the best description I have for my extent of off-reading but I’m sure others have specifics for gear ratios, articulation and tire sizes etc. maybe they can shed light on those wants so the Scout team knows what to shoot for

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
I think a skid plate to add extra battery/motor protection is a must for off road package

Real front and rear tow hooks/D rings that actually hook into the structural frame

Large nubby tires is also a good option for off road (be sure to warn of range loss)

Suspension is key for off road so either have air suspension standard for all vehicles that can allow for added ground clearance....or have air suspension as apart of the off road package.....this can help to keep costs down for the non-off road trim/package while allowing for maximum flexibility......OR another path could be to have air suspension on the standard model to allow average drivers to take advantage of low ride hights for aerodynamics and then have a beefy suspension as apart of the off road package that has a permanent high stance.....not sure what everybody else's thought are....I'll be honest I'll likely buy the non-off road since I would only go onto some standard trails once or twice per year....and I probably will want maximum battery range

With current trend of big rims it is critical it has the Ability to fit a 17/18” rim over the brakes. And able to fit a 34” tire stock would be great. Without these 2 things skid plates, ground clearance, …. Is all pointless.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
If Scout wants to differentiate itself from Rivian for example, one recommendation would be a coil-over rugged off-road suspension coupled with a smaller brake caliper to support a smaller wheel size. R1T has massive brakes (which i never use due to high re-gen / 1 pedal driving). These brakes have prevented a much smaller wheel size to accommodate a tire with more sidewall for off-roading. I doubt Scout would want to launch their first vehicle as an EV in this configuration, but there could be a trim-line or upgrade to go FULL BEEF mode. Why? The range hit taken (between the stance of the truck and the mud-chukkers) would be too much to make that trim marketable for the majority of potential buyers. Also, from a pure window sticker perspective, people are going to look at EPA range numbers. Rivian ticks a lot of boxes with drive modes, and air suspension allows the truck to sit at an aerodynamic stance for HWY driving. The 20's (which I have on my truck) are great for my purposes with the AT's in summer (and I have Nokians on now for winter). I do not live near Moab, and when I go off-roading on burly rocks, its on a single track with a MTB. The truck will hit rutted and frost heaved dirt roads, loggin roads and and mountain passes, but I don't need or want giant tires and small wheels for my usage.

All of that said, there will probably be a stronger desire from this community to have a non-air, rock crawling, lockered, small wheel, mudchukker version for Scout, b/c that is one subset of the demographic that would consider owning a Scout in the first place. Really all Scout needs to do is build the right suspension / axles and offer a smaller wheel size that can be retrofitted with bigger tires by owners. Electric takes the gearing out of the equation since it is all "built-in". I will say that turning big, low-pressure tires slowly in a rock garden with an EV probably adds some additional stressors to the motor(s), so Scout will need to have some specific tuning for this application (through SW & drive modes). Air suspension is nice, but also very expensive to fix if it goes south. If Rivian had offered a rugged non-air suspension, I probably would have gone for it over Air, provided the truck wasn't super-lifted.

With current trend of big rims it is critical it has the Ability to fit a 17/18” rim over the brakes. And able to fit a 34” tire stock would be great. Without these 2 things skid plates, ground clearance, …. Is all pointless.
Agreed, but only difference in perspective for me is that I don't think the other stuff is necessarily pointless at all (based on road conditions). If I am driving during the freeze-thaw period out East, you will absolutely see times where the underbody protection and the ability to sit at a higher ride height (with the 20's) gets you all you need. At least if you DO bottom out going over a rutted mounted pass, your big battery and underbelly are protected. The 20's are fine for that application and for that type of driving IMHO. Also doesn't hurt when hitting the sand on the beach to add a little more clearance, or for the occasional tricky sections on Class IV roads in Vermont, for example.

I think a skid plate to add extra battery/motor protection is a must for off road package

Real front and rear tow hooks/D rings that actually hook into the structural frame

Large nubby tires is also a good option for off road (be sure to warn of range loss)

Suspension is key for off road so either have air suspension standard for all vehicles that can allow for added ground clearance....or have air suspension as apart of the off road package.....this can help to keep costs down for the non-off road trim/package while allowing for maximum flexibility......OR another path could be to have air suspension on the standard model to allow average drivers to take advantage of low ride hights for aerodynamics and then have a beefy suspension as apart of the off road package that has a permanent high stance.....not sure what everybody else's thought are....I'll be honest I'll likely buy the non-off road since I would only go onto some standard trails once or twice per year....and I probably will want maximum battery range
Air suspension is a novelty and sucks off road. Why? When you increase the height you increase the spring rate therefor stiffening the suspension and losing articulation…. Air needs sag for compliance. In most off road situations articulation is at least as important as clearance.

I would argue that with even adequate (~9-10”) of ground clearance maintaining good articulation is way more beneficial than even an extra 4-6” of clearance. Every brand that makes off roaders and air suspension do not put air on their halo off road model: MB g, Jeep wrangler, Toyota Land Cruiser, LR defender (full one not the unibody) all no air.

17"s. Look at the cost of tires and 17s are the cheaper option. Plus the added benefit of more sidewall to squish at 12psi...

Reactions: ColeAK
For my geographical location it floods often. We are experiencing king tides right now that are very high. Many of the streets are over 10” deep in salt water. If it rains during one of these events, it is not uncommon to see 12-15” deep on many streets. So, my “on road” request is for 12-15” ground clearance. While that will help some with fairing/wading depth it is more for the Scout not getting flooded while parked. Sometimes the tides rise quickly while sleeping. Now, this one is for the engineers….combine that great ground clearance with easy step in and load height. I had a Grand Cherokee with adjustable air suspension. It performed this task very well. I think Rivian does too and I’m starting to see lots of those in Charleston. Come on Scout, this is your backyard or front porch such as it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: J Alynn
I agree with 17" wheels for more tire choices. EV's being inherently heavy, a compromise is needed to ensure adequate breaking capability on-road.
Prefer no air suspension. Look to the Bronco for suspension ideas.
33" tires minimum...prefer 35".
With a flat bottom-side, ground clearance is aided by eliminating the rear differential. Other low-hanging components like shock mounts should be located nearer to the wheel assembly.
I expect with a battery pack located as low as possible, serious skid plate protection will be needed; How will Scout mitigate the downsides created by the added weight?

My use scenario is easy to intermediate trail driving. Articulation is needed. The only rock crawling is when I cannot find a way to go around, but ledges to climb and drop-offs are not uncommon.

Fast trail driving. It is critical for the suspension to absorb washouts and ruts at speed. I like to hit whoops fast, but also keeping most of the tires on the ground. Jumping is not intended.

Just thought it might help to post a thread to get more technical info from buyers/enthusiasts who plan to off-road. I’ve said before pothole filled logging trail is the best description I have for my extent of off-reading but I’m sure others have specifics for gear ratios, articulation and tire sizes etc. maybe they can shed light on those wants so the Scout team knows what to shoot for
I plan to do a lot of offroading. Whether that be hill-climbs at my local ORV park, or in Moab with my dad and his bronco, or hunting eastern Washington September-December. Here are things I would like to see (Numbers 1-5 are really a must-have).
  1. 35" Tire option (Cooper Discoverer STT Pro??)
  2. TRUE mechanically locking differentials (front and rear) with physical buttons to lock them
  3. Metal skid plates (all the way across the bottom protecting the battery)
  4. Obviously great approach, breakover, departure angles
  5. 11-12" of ground clearance would be awesome
  6. Rear-bumper mounted spare tire
  7. Front camera (under-body would be cool too)
  8. Bead lock capable wheels
  9. No carpet option on interior (rubberized floors, with drain plugs like bronco)
  10. Tow hooks
  11. Front bumper option (with WARN winch)
  12. FOX suspension with remote reservoirs
  13. Off-road modes
  14. GREAT brakes, especially considering the weight - ideal when descending steep hills
  15. Paint protection layer for brush etc.
  16. Mud flaps to prevent flinging rocks with the 35's
  17. Decently placed grab bars

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodie