Welcome and Introductions!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Hi everyone, and welcome to the Scout Community forum!

My name is Jamie (Jamie@ScoutMotors), and with my cohort Chris (Chris@ScoutMotors), we will be your central "tour guides," so to speak, here in the forums. We will do our best to answer your questions, help with any forum issues you might have, and generally try and keep things moving along and share Scout news when we can. We couldn't be more excited about the return of Scout and hope you are as well.

About myself - I've been a lifelong car enthusiast and have owned various brands and types. I've also modified many cars along the way and love to tinker and explore. I started the VW enthusiast website, VWvortex back in the day, and it became one of the biggest automotive forums in the world, so I've had a lot of experience running forums like this one. At VWVortex, we built and restored numerous cars, from some beautiful Volkswagen Mk2 GTIs to a 500hp "Super" Beetle converted to AWD that won awards at the SEMA show. All of it was shared with our readers in detail in our forums and on our website, and I think you will see similar things here at the Scout forums in the future.

Growing up, one of my uncles had a Scout 800a with a V8 that he was "restoring" for many years. Not a ton of progress was made outside of basic (and non-basic!) maintenance, but I remember spending a lot of time in the garage with a beverage or two discussing the potential. It was great fun to tool around in, and we'd often take it into town to run errands where numerous people would stop to ask questions and share their Scout stories.

You rarely get a chance to be involved in the start of a car company, let alone one with the history that Scout has. I am as excited as you to see what the team puts together and can tell you that everyone behind the scenes is incredibly passionate about this undertaking. The new Scout can't be everything to everyone, but the team here is trying hard to tick all the boxes that make a Scout a Scout.

So welcome to the forum, and please take a moment to introduce yourself, tell us any Scout stories you may have, and join us on this ride as we work to bring the Scout back to America.

See you in the forums!

- Jamie

My name is Jamie (Jamie@ScoutMotors), and with my cohort Chris (Chris@ScoutMotors), we will be your central "tour guides," so to speak, here in the forums. We will do our best to answer your questions, help with any forum issues you might have, and generally try and keep things moving along and share Scout news when we can. We couldn't be more excited about the return of Scout and hope you are as well.

About myself - I've been a lifelong car enthusiast and have owned various brands and types. I've also modified many cars along the way and love to tinker and explore. I started the VW enthusiast website, VWvortex back in the day, and it became one of the biggest automotive forums in the world, so I've had a lot of experience running forums like this one. At VWVortex, we built and restored numerous cars, from some beautiful Volkswagen Mk2 GTIs to a 500hp "Super" Beetle converted to AWD that won awards at the SEMA show. All of it was shared with our readers in detail in our forums and on our website, and I think you will see similar things here at the Scout forums in the future.

Growing up, one of my uncles had a Scout 800a with a V8 that he was "restoring" for many years. Not a ton of progress was made outside of basic (and non-basic!) maintenance, but I remember spending a lot of time in the garage with a beverage or two discussing the potential. It was great fun to tool around in, and we'd often take it into town to run errands where numerous people would stop to ask questions and share their Scout stories.

You rarely get a chance to be involved in the start of a car company, let alone one with the history that Scout has. I am as excited as you to see what the team puts together and can tell you that everyone behind the scenes is incredibly passionate about this undertaking. The new Scout can't be everything to everyone, but the team here is trying hard to tick all the boxes that make a Scout a Scout.

So welcome to the forum, and please take a moment to introduce yourself, tell us any Scout stories you may have, and join us on this ride as we work to bring the Scout back to America.

See you in the forums!

- Jamie
Hi Jamie (and Chris), thank you for the introduction plus background summary.

I've had my 1977 Scout II for about 10 years now and just love looking back at it every time I park however, nothing compares to getting it out on the road (and trail) although a fair bit of rust keeps me from doing much off-roading.

As a long time Scout enthusiast and owner, I am very much looking forward to what you and the team bring to the new Scout and hope you update us often.

Additionally, I'm not sure if it's even a debate but considering the Scout's heritage, please, please, PLEASE have a removable top of some sort to compete with the likes of the Wranglers and Broncos. Otherwise, my interest in the new Scout will dwindle by at least 50% as I'm sure many will.

Nonetheless, I look forward to connecting with the community and devouring all the news, updates, renderings, and anything else "Scout" you send our way!

Best Regards,
Rafael

PS Has your cohort Chris posted an intro yet?

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
Hi Jamie (and Chris), thank you for the introduction plus background summary.

I've had my 1977 Scout II for about 10 years now and just love looking back at it every time I park however, nothing compares to getting it out on the road (and trail) although a fair bit of rust keeps me from doing much off-roading.

As a long time Scout enthusiast and owner, I am very much looking forward to what you and the team bring to the new Scout and hope you update us often.

Additionally, I'm not sure if it's even a debate but considering the Scout's heritage, please, please, PLEASE have a removable top of some sort to compete with the likes of the Wranglers and Broncos. Otherwise, my interest in the new Scout will dwindle by at least 50% as I'm sure many will.

Nonetheless, I look forward to connecting with the community and devouring all the news, updates, renderings, and anything else "Scout" you send our way!

Best Regards,
Rafael

PS Has your cohort Chris posted an intro yet?

Hey @SurfScout and welcome to the community!

We're excited to bring these vehicles to the market, and can't wait to share the journey and get feedback along the way!

Here's a little background/intro on myself for ya:

Hey All,

I'm personally stoked to see so many people on here and want to say a massive thanks for joining and getting the discussions rocking’ & rollin’!

Everybody here at Scout is really excited to get things up and running, and we’re all looking forward to keeping in touch with you guys here!

A little bit about myself… my name’s Chris (chris@scoutmotors), and I work at Scout as the head of content and community. I’m also overseeing events, have a hand in branding, and am the primary touchpoint for comms... so essentially all the fun jobs. I started about 4-weeks ago, as employee 5, and came over from working almost 9-years at VW of America as the head of photo and video content for PR/Comms. Before VW, I worked freelance in TV, commercial, and film, and managed content production for a media outlet.

I've always been a big car, outdoors, and adventure guy, so naturally, off-roading and overlanding took the sweet spot in terms of the automotive culture that I have fallen most in love with. I currently drive a 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon that I take out to the trail on the weekends (I know, I know, it's a Jeep in a Scout forum), but I'm in the market for a historic Scout of my own, to add to my garage and work on.

I'm really excited to get to chat with all of you on here and will be traveling around the country over the next 6 months to meet up with the various clubs, communities, and enthusiasts that have kept the spirit of Scout strong, host events, and shoot content for our channels. I'll keep a running tally over in Scout Motors Events and Appearances of where I'll be and when, upcoming events, and will keep you posted on new content that we'll be shooting. Feel free to ping me in there, or message me elsewhere around the forums to keep in touch!

Looking forward to hearing all of your thoughts, suggestions, opinions, and questions!

Chris

Reactions: FWA Scout II
I was very excited to see the teaser. I have two 66 800s and I grew up in New Haven, just outside Fort Wayne.
Can't wait to see more and to learn where and when to sign up to buy the new Scout.

Jim
Panama City FL

Hello Scout Team! I am a life long enthusiast owning many brands makes and models since the late 1980's. Most recently I have gravitated to VW anchored by the love for my 2004 R32. I have been around the Vortex forums over the years as well. (20AE3600). One of my favorite vehicles was my 1980 Chevy K1500 with a 400 cu in small block. ridiculous, but a blast. lol.

I decided to give electric a try just for something different almost two years back with the VW ID.4 First Edition. I have learned much in that time and hope that maybe I will be able to share some experiences with others considering making the move to their first EV. They are not yet the best solution for everyone and every use case, but for a very large percentage of folks they are a really great option.

-Shannon

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
Name is Michael-New to this forum, been on clubtouareg for a number of years-hence the screwy user name (long story). I don’t have any history with Scout, but love the true off road potential of these new Scout trucks and the legacy and name that you guys are trying to live up to with this effort.

I hope my little humble experience I do have with the “original” VW Touareg might be of some help as I too do not want a soft roader or some watered down version of what was…

Cheers and best of luck to you all!

I suppose I never really introduced myself.

Name's Rodger, and I have always loved offroading. From our 98 Grizzly to my 89 Ramcharger, then 98 Dakota, then Humvees, 2.5 and 5 tons, HEMTTs.

I bought my first Scout while in Iraq. We were all 20-25 and soending our money. And while others bought a TJ, a YJ, a 2 door XJ, 4 door XJ, regular cab stepside Chevy 1500... I had a kid.

We enjoyed trail riding and camping. I needed something with character but space. Freedom but comfort.

And I found it in Ol Betty, a 1979 Scout II with the 345/727 on 33" MTs, 2" spacer and 2" shackle.

And she is still the biggest mistake of my life. But she fit the bill! I saw all the potential...

So when a 1971 Scout II, SOA lift, Tom Woods rear driveline, Anything Scout 6 point cage, 35" BFG MTs, Optima Red Top, F-150 extended shock towers, hunsaker front seats with 5 point harnesses, lunchbox locker in the rear, front D44, front disc brakes, headers, flowmaster 70 series, new gauges, 12 volt wiring done, 345/T19 AND TBI from a 1990 GM pickup... for $2500?!

Well I had to go look at it despite the massive oil leak and no oil pressure. It ran good...

And it did run good. Even in the dark i made plans and 4 days shook hands on it, snipped the analog oil line going to the gauge that had melted on the header and put on a $4 brass coupler.

Drove her home.

Had such great times in Middleton Maggie. Just search for her on Google and YouTube and you'll see our adventures.

I am soo looking forward to retiring here in about 3 years and having Noelani to cruise home in.

Edit: Added pictures and video link.
Glad to hear your story. See you posting on a lot of threads. Thanks for sharing the great pics

Reactions: IdahoJOAT

I've been an avid outdoors person most of my life and have spent time overlanding, back country hiking for days, off-roading everything from mud bogs down south to Hells Revenge to Imogene Pass to Black Bear Pass. I have also helped wrench numerous Jeep, Toyota, Nissan and Ford off-road projects, so I have some background that lends itself well to being involved in Scout.

See you in the forums!

- Jamie
Hi- This is so exciting. I have owned a ‘63 Scout 80 for 30 years that had 1000miles on it when I found it. Its ‘the nicest vehicle on the road today’ . . .thats what I say when I drive it. Keep up the good work!!

Hi- This is so exciting. I have owned a ‘63 Scout 80 for 30 years that had 1000miles on it when I found it. Its ‘the nicest vehicle on the road today’ . . .thats what I say when I drive it. Keep up the good work!!
Love to hear it @ih_scout800 and welcome to the forum! Would love to hear more stories about your Scout, bet you’ve got some ones after 30 years!

Glad I decided to tune in. So far it looks promising, both the concept of the new Scout and this forum. It is true that not everyone will be pleased with the final product, that goes without saying, the key is balancing the utilitarian essence with the pressures of providing modern convenience. Filtering through all of our suggestions to find the right recipe is a herculean task. Hopefully, it will all work out so that an old codger like me could actually buy and enjoy one.

So I have owned a international scout for 30 years a 1974. It was my first car in high school and I’ve had it ever since then I also have a 94 jeep wrangler but the scout is my favorite. SO Please tell me it is not going to have independent suspension. If it’s going to be a true off roader it needs solid axles.

Happy Thanksgiving all! As an owner of a 73 scout ii ( had in Highschool) & current owner of a 77 Scout ii that I built for my 16 year old son, the next generation of Scout enthusiast, I love what scoutmotors is planning for the future. I can’t wait for what is next.

Very glad to see these forums up and running. The Scout brand was still around in my early days as a driver in the early 80's. The brand re-launch has reminded me of these cool vehicle and the cool people who bought and drove them back then. I can think of 3 Scouts in my old neighbourhood...all in pretty unique colours that I would love to see revived. :).

I signed up a couple weeks ago. Lots of things I want to say about the New Scout but always hesitant because I feel like it would fall on deaf ears. My name is Jason. My dad bought a Scout off the showroom floor when I was 8 years old in 1979. I have owned 10 drivers and enough parts to build 10 more over the years. My son bought a Scout Traveler when he was 14 and he drove it through high school. I got my dream Scout 4 years ago and took it to Nationals last year. Right now I am In the final stages of a full frame off on one that is a special surprise for someone. Here is the bottom line - Please design the new Scout to do this. Drive it all across the US - state to state from New York City to Cheyenne Wyoming to Birmingham Alabama and everywhere in between then when you get home you can fold the seat up, drop the tail gate, raise the LIFT gate throw in square bails of hay and then 4-wheel into the farm through knee deep mud to feed the cows! Clean it up, shine it up, then take the family out on the town to dinner that same night! That is exactly what my dad did with our family vehicle growing up - it was a TRUE utility vehicle that could take you all over the US but then be redlined, honing and digging red clay mud and never stop! But once it was cleaned up and shined up it was a classy looking vehicle. That's what we called our Scout - " Vehicle" It wasn't a car, it wasn't a truck - it was a "vehicle". I believe this is why we loved Scouts. They were unique, they were sporty, they were rugged - THEY were not cars!
All the Scout owners that grew up with Scouts have stories of their capability but I promise that our Scout was put through the hardest life of any family Scout ever. I wont bore you with the stories but this thing was legendary what it was put through. It lived its life in WV red clay on our farm and that is what saved it! It had a natural undercoating that protected it.

The thing is, when you see a Scout you know a Scout. Hopefully that will be the same with the new ones! The lines and features are distinctive and it is what makes a Scout a Scout. I have read how much the design team wants to honor the heritage so hopefully they take those distinctive features and use them to their fullest extent. I know some hate it but I love the reverse opening hood! Again, I could go on and on about the old school design but I know there are some things that must be changed.

Staying with the heritage theme - I hope that the design team keeps reaching out to the old school Scout people - the people who actually had their hands in building Scouts on the assembly line and the people who have kept Scout alive over the past 40 years. Even if they have said they want no part in the new Scout or even if they are fighting it - PLEASE keep reaching out to them and tell them how important they are. We have so much to be thankful for to the Lightline dealerships and the people who run them. The people who know more about Scouts than people who are posting in this forum are the people that need consulted. Every effort needs to be made to get their blessing. I have taken time with these people and spoken to them at shows, at their businesses and on the phone and the amount of knowledge they have about Scouts can not be measured.

Ultimately, I have mixed feelings about the new Scout but in the end there will never be anything like an original Scout!

Pics are of my son with his Traveler, Me with my 79 at nationals, and the last is the frame off - its much further along now than the pic - close to being finished.

Attachments

• luke and traveller.jpg
    luke and traveller.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
  • nationals scout.jpg
    nationals scout.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • frame engine.jpg
    frame engine.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 9
I signed up a couple weeks ago. Lots of things I want to say about the New Scout but always hesitant because I feel like it would fall on deaf ears. My name is Jason. My dad bought a Scout off the showroom floor when I was 8 years old in 1979. I have owned 10 drivers and enough parts to build 10 more over the years. My son bought a Scout Traveler when he was 14 and he drove it through high school. I got my dream Scout 4 years ago and took it to Nationals last year. Right now I am In the final stages of a full frame off on one that is a special surprise for someone. Here is the bottom line - Please design the new Scout to do this. Drive it all across the US - state to state from New York City to Cheyenne Wyoming to Birmingham Alabama and everywhere in between then when you get home you can fold the seat up, drop the tail gate, raise the LIFT gate throw in square bails of hay and then 4-wheel into the farm through knee deep mud to feed the cows! Clean it up, shine it up, then take the family out on the town to dinner that same night! That is exactly what my dad did with our family vehicle growing up - it was a TRUE utility vehicle that could take you all over the US but then be redlined, honing and digging red clay mud and never stop! But once it was cleaned up and shined up it was a classy looking vehicle. That's what we called our Scout - " Vehicle" It wasn't a car, it wasn't a truck - it was a "vehicle". I believe this is why we loved Scouts. They were unique, they were sporty, they were rugged - THEY were not cars!
All the Scout owners that grew up with Scouts have stories of their capability but I promise that our Scout was put through the hardest life of any family Scout ever. I wont bore you with the stories but this thing was legendary what it was put through. It lived its life in WV red clay on our farm and that is what saved it! It had a natural undercoating that protected it.

The thing is, when you see a Scout you know a Scout. Hopefully that will be the same with the new ones! The lines and features are distinctive and it is what makes a Scout a Scout. I have read how much the design team wants to honor the heritage so hopefully they take those distinctive features and use them to their fullest extent. I know some hate it but I love the reverse opening hood! Again, I could go on and on about the old school design but I know there are some things that must be changed.

Staying with the heritage theme - I hope that the design team keeps reaching out to the old school Scout people - the people who actually had their hands in building Scouts on the assembly line and the people who have kept Scout alive over the past 40 years. Even if they have said they want no part in the new Scout or even if they are fighting it - PLEASE keep reaching out to them and tell them how important they are. We have so much to be thankful for to the Lightline dealerships and the people who run them. The people who know more about Scouts than people who are posting in this forum are the people that need consulted. Every effort needs to be made to get their blessing. I have taken time with these people and spoken to them at shows, at their businesses and on the phone and the amount of knowledge they have about Scouts can not be measured.

Ultimately, I have mixed feelings about the new Scout but in the end there will never be anything like an original Scout!

Pics are of my son with his Traveler, Me with my 79 at nationals, and the last is the frame off - its much further along now than the pic - close to being finished.
Love this post and your heart and desire to make this a great vehicle that respects the history. This was very well said. Also have to say the color of your son’s Traveler is the mahogany color I’ve mentioned in regards to Jamie’s color poll. Love them both

Love this post and your heart and desire to make this a great vehicle that respects the history. This was very well said. Also have to say the color of your son’s Traveler is the mahogany color I’ve mentioned in regards to Jamie’s color poll. Love them both
IH Tahitian Red

Reactions: J Alynn

Very well said, sir! Love your passion and your Scouts!

Reactions: travelinscout