Welcome and Introductions!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Since this facility is up and running, I thought I should join.
I've owned a Scout since 1987, buying a rust-free one in Arizona, and keeping it running and rust-free (by keeping it off the salted roads here in Iowa).
Locating the Last Scout in 1996 was a life-changing event for our family.
Purchasing it, finally, in 2003 had been a goal for a time, but it finally worked out, and it came into my "fleet".
We took it quite a few places, unrestored, from 2004 to 2015, then started a restoration in 2015, with it being completed in 2020.
It would be interesting to play a part in the rollout of the "New Scout", transitioning from TurboDiesel to Electric.

Here they are:
The Last Scout is on the Left, the Green Rallye Scout is Original, made about 6 weeks prior to the Last One.
Thanks for joining @Mike Bolton, so glad to have you on here, and super cool to see the final scout in your pics, and in such great condition! Would love to chat sometime and hear more about your story!

Can’t wait for the next generation Scout. Currently have a 1964 Scout 80 that is my pride and joy. I’m not 100% sold on a pure ev but excited about it anyway.

Attachments

• 6B9D0A1E-D60C-4749-B9D0-D34FC547E554.jpeg
    6B9D0A1E-D60C-4749-B9D0-D34FC547E554.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 7
Hi All, Quick intro & super-excited to see where Scout goes with this journey. First, I think the EV decision for this vehicle is the right decision. This is purely based on the non-statistically significant and biased opinion of 1 EV truck owner over the last 8 months of driving a Rivian R1T. The pure power, capability, performance, low-maintenance and storage alone are enough, but electrification provides much more than that. As an outdoorsman (skier, surfer, mtb'er, fisherman) and dad, I know EV is the absolute right direction for the future Vs. ICE. More EV's also equate to more investment in solar for individuals and more self-reliance & independence in the future - particularly as solar prices start to come down. This will allow more EV owners to off-set consumption sustainably. In terms of my own exposure to Scout & the Scout brand, it was always through eyes of other owners and their rugged beach buggies on Cape Cod and the Islands. There is so much disruption happening in the space, and so much new capability being offered with new vehicle entrants. The revitalization of the Scout brand is exciting to see, even for someone with a potentially competitive truck. Competition will make all of these vehicles better. My one hope is that the EV infrastructure in the Northeast US continues to expand. The future is bright.

Hi everyone, I don't own a Scout but just what I know and have learned about the Brand is extremely appealing. I've had XJs, JKs, and currently a 4Runner. With so many EV's being, and soon to be offered, it's going to be critical for manufacturers to differentiate themselves way beyond being super fast, styling, and pricing. Brand equity and that emotional connection is going to be CRITICAL and that's where Scout will shine (and maybe have some competition with Jeep :)

Anyway, looking forward to what's coming and thanks to Jamie and team for putting together an amazing forum!

Hi everyone, I don't own a Scout but just what I know and have learned about the Brand is extremely appealing. I've had XJs, JKs, and currently a 4Runner. With so many EV's being, and soon to be offered, it's going to be critical for manufacturers to differentiate themselves way beyond being super fast, styling, and pricing. Brand equity and that emotional connection is going to be CRITICAL and that's where Scout will shine (and maybe have some competition with Jeep :)

Anyway, looking forward to what's coming and thanks to Jamie and team for putting together an amazing forum!
Welcome to the Scout epicenter! :D

Reactions: Harris005
I'm now a retiree, but have purchased a new vehicle about every three years since 1972. Being an outdoorsman, these are always 4WD vehicles.

Bought my first new Scout in 1974, went to an F150 for work after and then back to Scout in 1980, the last model year offered here. Loved the rugged / utilitarian design and probably would have purchased more if IH continued production.

Very interested in this announcement, however my concern is a present mindset in the auto industry that nothing appeals to customers unless it has all the latest gadgets - and along with this an ever increasing vehicle price.

I'm only speaking for myself, but if purchasing a rugged off road or work vehicle (which Scout historically signified) with a good chance of getting dinged and dirty a $65K price tag will be difficult to overcome. Also if shopping for the latest technological and creature comforts, a Scout type design wouldn't be at the top of my list.

My only suggestion to Scout Motors is that a reasonably priced, bare bones base model also be available. Think it'd be surprising to see how many buyers with limited resources like families needing a second car or college students would opt for new Scout instead of something used.

I'm now a retiree, but have purchased a new vehicle about every three years since 1972. Being an outdoorsman, these are always 4WD vehicles.

Bought my first new Scout in 1974, went to an F150 for work after and then back to Scout in 1980, the last model year offered here. Loved the rugged / utilitarian design and probably would have purchased more if IH continued production.

Very interested in this announcement, however my concern is a present mindset in the auto industry that nothing appeals to customers unless it has all the latest gadgets - and along with this an ever increasing vehicle price.

I'm only speaking for myself, but if purchasing a rugged off road or work vehicle (which Scout historically signified) with a good chance of getting dinged and dirty a $65K price tag will be difficult to overcome. Also if shopping for the latest technological and creature comforts, a Scout type design wouldn't be at the top of my list.

My only suggestion to Scout Motors is that a reasonably priced, bare bones base model also be available. Think it'd be surprising to see how many buyers with limited resources like families needing a second car or college students would opt for new Scout instead of something used.
This bare bones want is a trend they've stated they're keeping track of.

Welcome!

Reactions: LastDayScout
Hi everyone,
longtime car guy here, and have done everything from 60-70s muscle to a 911 and lots of 4WDs. One of my earliest projects (and one I wish I still had) was a 77 Scout II my dad and I did. It was a light blue with olive colored interior and someone had stole the roof off of it when we got it. It was pretty rough, but it was a V8 and the body was pretty solid. Some time later, it was 67 corvette sunfire yellow with black interior and a hardtop we sourced out of Nevada.
I’m excited about the new scout and if it is an EV, I’m happy it’s connected to an established company who already has success in the segment, a long history of production, and one that builds other great enthusiast brands.

Hi everyone, and welcome to the Scout Community forum!

My name is Jamie (Jamie@ScoutMotors), and with my cohort Chris (Chris@ScoutMotors), we will be your central "tour guides," so to speak, here in the forums. We will do our best to answer your questions, help with any forum issues you might have, and generally try and keep things moving along and share Scout news when we can. We couldn't be more excited about the return of Scout and hope you are as well.

About myself - I've been a lifelong car enthusiast and have owned various brands and types. I've also modified many cars along the way and love to tinker and explore. I started the VW enthusiast website, VWvortex back in the day, and it became one of the biggest automotive forums in the world, so I've had a lot of experience running forums like this one. At VWVortex, we built and restored numerous cars, from some beautiful Volkswagen Mk2 GTIs to a 500hp "Super" Beetle converted to AWD that won awards at the SEMA show. All of it was shared with our readers in detail in our forums and on our website, and I think you will see similar things here at the Scout forums in the future.

Growing up, one of my uncles had a Scout 800a with a V8 that he was "restoring" for many years. Not a ton of progress was made outside of basic (and non-basic!) maintenance, but I remember spending a lot of time in the garage with a beverage or two discussing the potential. It was great fun to tool around in, and we'd often take it into town to run errands where numerous people would stop to ask questions and share their Scout stories.

I've been an avid outdoors person most of my life and have spent time overlanding, back country hiking for days, off-roading everything from mud bogs down south to Hells Revenge to Imogene Pass to Black Bear Pass. I have also helped wrench numerous Jeep, Toyota, Nissan and Ford off-road projects, so I have some background that lends itself well to being involved in Scout.

You rarely get a chance to be involved in the start of a car company, let alone one with the history that Scout has. I am as excited as you to see what the team puts together and can tell you that everyone behind the scenes is incredibly passionate about this undertaking. The new Scout can't be everything to everyone, but the team here is trying hard to tick all the boxes that make a Scout a Scout.

So welcome to the forum, and please take a moment to introduce yourself, tell us any Scout stories you may have, and join us on this ride as we work to bring the Scout back to America.

See you in the forums!

- Jamie
Hello Jamie, Thank you for pointing me toward the forum from FB. I can't wait to drive one of these vehicles.

Hello! Long time fan of Scouts, finally acquired one myself last year (1980 Scout II Diesel). My grandfather worked for IH for 30 years as a regional parts manager, and he always drove a Scout. I’m beyond thrilled that you folks are bringing the name back, and I look forward to updates! Hoping to add another NEW Scout to the family. Side note: any branded merch to be had yet? Hats or hoodies? Would rock the heck out of that.
85BCFDA7-BA56-466B-8B5B-03EB2D3B8788.jpeg

Excited to join this forum and follow the journey. I have a 1966 Sportop Softop and the hubby has a 1967 of the same model. There are very few left from what I understand. Sure hope there is another Softop model in our future! Can't wait to see the new lineup!

Scouts_Bucksnort.jpg

Last edited:
I was killing time on a cold MN winter afternoon and stumbled upon this forum...better late than never.

I am a MN farmer who grew up with Scouts. One of the first vehicles I learned how to drive was a 1966 Scout 800...several years before I was of legal driving age. Dad traded the 800 on a new 1976 Scout II. I currently own a 1980 Scout II Turbo Diesel that is pretty much all original. Top has never been off and believe or or not is rust free thanks to spending most of it's life in NC.

I am looking forward to reading about the progress of the new made in the USA Scout. A Scout EV...who would have ever thought that would become reality when I-H quit building Scouts back in 1980? I-H had a promotional program back then where they gave a buyer of new, specified models I-H 4WD tractors a Scout II as a thank you for purchasing the tractor. Sadly, the promotion didn't sell enough tractors...or Scouts to save the company.

Give a ethanol powered/plug-in Hybrid Scout some thought.

Attachments

• crop scouting3.jpg
    crop scouting3.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Excited to join this forum and follow the journey. I have a 1966 Sportop Softop and the hubby has a 1967 of the same model. There are very few left from what I understand. Sure hope there is another Softop model in our future! Can't wait to see the new lineup!

View attachment 830
You have two very rare Scouts and this model is the only true convertible International Harvester produced. As connected as I am to Scouts, you'd think I would have heard of a couple with TWO Sportop Convertibles

I'm John and like many here, I'm a lifelong auto enthusiast. My first job was a mechanic at a local shop where I fell in love with the old Scout II sitting on the backlot. My passion for the industry has only grown with the rise of EVs. My career has been in branding, media, and creative directing, but stuff on four wheels is where my heart is.

I grew up exploring the dirt roads of Big Cottonwood Canyon near Salt Lake City and the dry lake beds out near Skull Valley and the Great Salt Lake. Currently I own a Chevrolet Bolt EUV and a Genesis GV60, but I'm wanting a great EV that my family can adventure in. And I hoping that's the Scout!

Excited to join you all in shaping the rebirth of an icon! I'm so excited for this. I've even recently applied for a few positions at Scout, but I'll help it along any way I can.