Welcome and Introductions!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Since this facility is up and running, I thought I should join.
I've owned a Scout since 1987, buying a rust-free one in Arizona, and keeping it running and rust-free (by keeping it off the salted roads here in Iowa).
Locating the Last Scout in 1996 was a life-changing event for our family.
Purchasing it, finally, in 2003 had been a goal for a time, but it finally worked out, and it came into my "fleet".
We took it quite a few places, unrestored, from 2004 to 2015, then started a restoration in 2015, with it being completed in 2020.
It would be interesting to play a part in the rollout of the "New Scout", transitioning from TurboDiesel to Electric.

Here they are:
The Last Scout is on the Left, the Green Rallye Scout is Original, made about 6 weeks prior to the Last One.

Attachments

• 4thScout.jpg
    4thScout.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Green2010.jpg
    Green2010.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 9
I've owned a Scout since 1987, buying a rust-free one in Arizona, and keeping it running and rust-free (by keeping it off the salted roads here in Iowa).
Purchasing it, finally, in 2003 had been a goal for a time, but it finally worked out, and it came into my "fleet".
We took it quite a few places, unrestored, from 2004 to 2015, then started a restoration in 2015, with it being completed in 2020.
It would be interesting to play a part in the rollout of the "New Scout", transitioning from TurboDiesel to Electric.

Here they are:
The Last Scout is on the Left, the Green Rallye Scout is Original, made about 6 weeks prior to the Last One.
I owned the 14th from the end. It was also Copper (originally) and was diesel. I think I see the diesel badge on yours in the picture. Awesome collection!

I owned the 14th from the end. It was also Copper (originally) and was diesel. I think I see the diesel badge on yours in the picture. Awesome collection!
What number are you using to determine order from the end?
Are you counting back from 23106?
(Because ours "Follows" 23106.)

What number are you using to determine order from the end?
Are you counting back from 23106?
(Because ours "Follows" 23106.)
I had the Navistar archives verify it. Granted this was in about 2004 or 2005 so I don’t remember all the details. I’ll try to find my vin number to see how it compares to your number.

Ours is not the highest serial number.
Serial numbers are assigned when the order is written.
Ours has serial number 23023, but was made to follow 23106 down the line, making it be the last Scout built.
The Revised Line Sequence Number of "F5214" means it was built after D5214, the highest Line Sequence Number, which bore VIN # 23106, the highest VIN number.

Ours is not the highest serial number.
Serial numbers are assigned when the order is written.
Ours has serial number 23023, but was made to follow 23106 down the line, making it be the last Scout built.
The Revised Line Sequence Number of "F5214" means it was built after D5214, the highest Line Sequence Number, which bore VIN # 23106, the highest VIN number.
I wish I still had all the documents. I gave it all to the person I sold it to.

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors

Attachments

• Scout 8-23-11 035.JPG
    Scout 8-23-11 035.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 8
Hello everyone,

Been reading the forums since they launched and figured I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Bryan. I'm a life-long gearhead and have worked in the automotive business for over 30 years. Most of that time has been in editorial, where I've been a writer, editor, photographer, and all-around content producer for numerous online and print publications. @Jamie@ScoutMotors and I go back more than 25 years to our VW days, but notably I also worked alongside him for nine years at Vortex where I ran our BMW website (mwerks) and contributed across all our other sites.

Perhaps more relevant to this group, I founded and published Alloy+Grit, a print magazine for American Land Rover enthusiasts, from late 2016 to early 2020 when we closed it down during the pandemic. During that time I witnessed the excited anticipation, the occasional disappointment, and the eventual market success of the new Defender. Some of the posts here echo the exact same discussions that happened around that vehicle before its launch. I'm fascinated to see how the Scout brand re-emerges.

Yes, I'm a Land Rover guy, but I grew up around Scouts and always appreciated how unique they were compared to Jeeps and Broncos. When I worked at my first dealership job, we had a yellow Scout II that was our plow truck. It always sat behind the service department waiting to be used, but whenever I walked customers back there to browse the inventory, it never failed to get attention. Even 30 years ago, there was just something about them that drew people's attention.

Anyway, like the rest of you I'm here to see how this plays out. I think it's a great opportunity for Volkswagen and I believe they'll do their absolute best to honor the Scout legacy.

Hello everyone,

I am an avid car enthusiast and over the last few years I have fully embraced EVs and enjoy the benefits that i feel makes them better for the the everyday person. Unlike some EV enthusiasts I acknowledge the draw backs EVs have especially for rural America, but i believe in time with the expansion of charging infrastructure that will no be not much of an issue.

My father is a life long Jeep owner and took me to a jeep jamboree once when i was in high school so I understand some of the excitement that comes from being able to take your vehicle anywhere.

I also trained as an auto mechanic and understand on a fundamental level what components there are in a car and how difficult it is to maintain everything.

I currently have a masters degree in Information technology so this community and the Scout EV really is a culmination of all of my passions; Cars, Technology, and Off-roading.

I will be entirely honest and admit here that I never heard of the original scout (probably because I was born after they stopped production) until the announcement of this reboot and became increasingly excited that it was going to be an EV.

Here they are:
Hey Mike! Glad to see you here. I have advocated for people like you, John and Jim to be included and consulted. I really hope the team sees speaks with all. we need you all as part of this for sure!

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Do not make the mistake of the bronco. I would like more attributes of the scout 80/800. Still excites to see how this evolves.

Do not make the mistake of the bronco. I would like more attributes of the scout 80/800. Still excites to see how this evolves.
I am curious on this. I often hear the grumblings of the new Bronco and how they got it all wrong. I myself think they did a great job with it (except for the Sport model). Maybe fair to say I really only like the looks when it has a decent wheel/tire package also.

So if you could put your finger on some areas they went wrong, what would those things be? This question is for anyone that thinks this. I'm not being negative, just really curious.....and maybe these are things the Scout team can avoid???