Stowable Hard Top

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

scout&joe

1st Year Member
Mar 25, 2023
My partner Scout and I run a farm and also do a lot of catering gigs, which means an extra trip home to put on or remove our Tundra's camper top/tonneau cover if a load is too tall or needs protection from rain/wind. I also own a 1987 MR2 which has a clever and unobtrusive storage spot for the sunroof in the frunk. A foldable/stowable hard top would be a real selling point for us, but also for city folks who want the dual functionality of a pickup and enclosed bed.

Also, not sure if it's feasible, but I've seen a lot of powered hardtop convertibles lately - would a power folding hardtop that folds forward and against the front of or into the bottom of the bed work?

Reactions: Rustic_father
Like the Chevy SSR but on steriods!
VacantNippyHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: tetchema
I also own a 1987 MR2 which has a clever and unobtrusive storage spot for the sunroof in the frunk.
I second this. The T-tops on my daughter's Jeep just get thrown in the back. A designated spot, to secure and help protect them, would be a nice feature.

Like the Chevy SSR but on steriods!
VacantNippyHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif
This did get me thinking....4 easy to remove sections over passenger seating (simular to new Bronco). Then could the back section have the sides fold in and the top itself lowered (simular look to the SSR bed cover above). This would 1) create a lockable trunk area when the top is down, and 2) help with the top down, drag concerns for the EV's range.

Really interesting. I wonder though how you secure the intersecting center area short of sliding into the bed on your back with a flashlight. What keeps someone from using a short crow/pry bar in the middle and opening (forcing with damage) and taking your stowed gear/stuff.
Scratching my head because the idea is utterly brilliant.

The article shows another drawing with a "frame" to mount the individual components to.
images

I'd imagine the same thing that keeps people from smashing other hard tonneau covers or slicing open fabric ones could keep this secure ;)

The article shows another drawing with a "frame" to mount the individual components to.
images

I'd imagine the same thing that keeps people from smashing other hard tonneau covers or slicing open fabric ones could keep this secure ;)
That makes more sense. I thought they just laid down and a latch system similar to inside the cab connected them to the bed edges. Fastening to a tilt-up frame certainly makes more sense. Thanks for sharing the second image. Now I definitely give it a BRILLIANT.

Reactions: Harris005
Regarding the SUV-
The small Fiat has a curtain top that slides along top like a roll top desk and stacks at bottom of rear hatch. I know Jeep has the roll open roof as well. What if Scout could make a glass/clear heavy duty roof panel system tha was like 6-8 accordion panels that click in/ pop out that could be unlatched an opened like a partial sunroof- maybe 3-4 panel fold back and a pin system locks them in place to serve as a sun roof. Or you accordion it all the way back, unpin it and set it into a secured spot it the frunk. Then as suggested earlier in another post the side windows all fully roll down and either hatch glass rolls down or pops out and also stores in the frunk. As said in another post, if we could get roof and hatch glass to fully open I don’t know that I’d need the roof to come off but I’d still have a VERY open feeling vehicle.
I think utilizing the frunk to store the panels is key so they aren’t sliding around in the rear and getting scratched up

I don't have the imagination to think how a stowable top might work. If that can't be achieved, I wonder if a simple bolt-on top that doesn't weigh a ton might be possible. I remember years ago taking a scout top off on my own and I thought the thing was going to squash me. I was also thinking that maybe it could come with attachable feet that protect it from the ground and its own fabric cover. Not everyone has a garage. I can see how a tonneau panel might be stowable but as I said I can't think how it would be possible with the whole roof. Another thing that separated the Bronco from the Scout was the window frame for the front seats. I always thought the Scout looked so much better without it.

It won't be long before we see someone develop a "click-in", removable hard top that consists of segmented Solar panels. Customized solar panels with connectivity to wiring through a pillar ain't rocket surgery. Smaller solar panels wouldn't really charge the car due to expected battery size, but could power accessories and/or a house battery for other purposes, and be a unique component or upgrade for Scout to offer to buyers. If Jeep can do it with plastic, it can be done with panels. Just need a frame or grid (think rectangular tubing for "roll bars" to support the panels over the passenger compartment).

It won't be long before we see someone develop a "click-in", removable hard top that consists of segmented Solar panels. Customized solar panels with connectivity to wiring through a pillar ain't rocket surgery. Smaller solar panels wouldn't really charge the car due to expected battery size, but could power accessories and/or a house battery for other purposes, and be a unique component or upgrade for Scout to offer to buyers. If Jeep can do it with plastic, it can be done with panels. Just need a frame or grid (think rectangular tubing for "roll bars" to support the panels over the passenger compartment).

It is a great idea but the automotive space is tough. We are talking about panels that can't weigh too much or they end up being difficult to to remove and store. They need to withstand 130 degree heat and -50 temperatures with minimal expansion or contraction for hours and hours. They need to be weather proof and reasonably decent at noise attenuation in all those same environments. They have to be able to withstand going through repeated car wash facilities and in the case of solar panels, with minimal scratching of the surface. Plus any electrical connections have to be bullet proof through numerous roof removals and installations while dealing with the debris, dirt, dust and corrosion on any contact points.

These are just some of the things engineers have to figure out before we even get into the cost figures.

Yeah, Agreed 100%. Fully integrated will be much easier (non-removable). The panels themselves are strong, and they already sit atop RTT's or racks on other trucks. They just aren't modular-ized yet, and require external cable routing. Someone will go there with removable PV roof panels though, just a matter of time.

Reactions: Rustic_father
Yeah, Agreed 100%. Fully integrated will be much easier (non-removable). The panels themselves are strong, and they already sit atop RTT's or racks on other trucks. They just aren't modular-ized yet, and require external cable routing. Someone will go there with removable PV roof panels though, just a matter of time.
Audi years ago had solar panels integrated into the sunroof on the A8. It was pretty cool and had a function where it use that power to run low-speed fans to vent the interior during hot days.

So, just driving in my BMW iX. It has a glass roof that does not open. But, it does have an electro chromatic feature that fogs it at the touch of a button. Pretty cool. My wife loves the car. But, she hates my TJ. She does not like open air. She said she has no interest in a convertible or removable top as it is so hot and rains so much where we live. I have been talking to her about getting a scout and she is not warm to the idea. I reminded her that I never took the top off my Scout II when I had it. Long story short, I’m in the camp where a fixed top, or removable hard panels probably makes sense. There’s definitely a place for a removable top. But, just not for my family’s needs.

Had a thought today if the Scouts go removable hard top. Assuming there is a linear plate/mount rail running front to rear maybe there could be stainless steel female bolt receivers set into the roof at the four corners. Then provide eye bolts to thread in to accommodate hanging/lift storage for the top. Maybe if people add a roof rack the rack could have pass-through holes for longer eye bolts to still hang from. Just a thought to make the process easier.

Regarding the SUV-
The small Fiat has a curtain top that slides along top like a roll top desk and stacks at bottom of rear hatch. I know Jeep has the roll open roof as well. What if Scout could make a glass/clear heavy duty roof panel system tha was like 6-8 accordion panels that click in/ pop out that could be unlatched an opened like a partial sunroof- maybe 3-4 panel fold back and a pin system locks them in place to serve as a sun roof. Or you accordion it all the way back, unpin it and set it into a secured spot it the frunk. Then as suggested earlier in another post the side windows all fully roll down and either hatch glass rolls down or pops out and also stores in the frunk. As said in another post, if we could get roof and hatch glass to fully open I don’t know that I’d need the roof to come off but I’d still have a VERY open feeling vehicle.
I think utilizing the frunk to store the panels is key so they aren’t sliding around in the rear and getting scratched up
I’m a plus one for. Canvas or glass roll up feature. It would open the cabin and make for extra utility in the back. Maybe a removable or fold flat rear seat to go with it?

Reactions: J Alynn