Stop being politically correct with this electric crap!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutnron

1st Year Member
Nov 24, 2022
What I don’t want to see in this new scout an electric version. The only reason they are saying it’s going to be electric is there being politically correct so if I want to go off-road now I have to take extra gas and a generator instead of extra gas. I would be able to settle with a hybrid, but if it’s electric with independent suspension, I will definitely not be buying one. And what’s the range going to be off-road in this thing 20 maybe 50 miles at the most in four-wheel-drive. Then they’ll say you can go on the trails in Moab that have charging stations screw that. And the top has got to be removable and sell it with an internal combustion engine make it an option.

... I would be able to settle with a hybrid, but if it’s electric with independent suspension, I will definitely not be buying one....
It looks like you aren't buying one.

What are you smoking? Political correctness? Do you know any about modern cars?

20-50 miles off road? Are you dumb? There are plenty of threads that show the rivian performing great for a 4 day camp up a mountain. And since you don't know anything a rivian is an all electric pick up truck with 4 motors and independent air suspension. It performs excellent off road.

Now I hope you can do some reading and have an open mind instead of drinking whatever backwater whiskey that makes you try to label anything new "political correctness"

What I don’t want to see in this new scout an electric version. The only reason they are saying it’s going to be electric is there being politically correct so if I want to go off-road now I have to take extra gas and a generator instead of extra gas. I would be able to settle with a hybrid, but if it’s electric with independent suspension, I will definitely not be buying one. And what’s the range going to be off-road in this thing 20 maybe 50 miles at the most in four-wheel-drive. Then they’ll say you can go on the trails in Moab that have charging stations screw that. And the top has got to be removable and sell it with an internal combustion engine make it an option.
I think you need to do some reading, research, and critical thinking before you post sir.

You seem extremely ignorant on the subject, and I mean that in the purest of senses.

Ask questions. Have an open mind. Then when you feel you've gotten a good deal of info, make a stance or decision.

Let’s play nice. :). We're all excited about the possibilities here...

The global move to electric vehicles isn't a U.S. centric thing. In the first half of 2022 world wide internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle sales declined -16% while battery eletric vehicle (BEV) sales increased +75%. 80% of new car registrations in Norway last year were EVs. Hyundai has already announced that they are no longer going to offer ICE vehicles in Norway. China sells more EVs in one month than the U.S. sold in the whole year. Numerous countries are making them mandatory in the future including China. All car manufacturers have to do product planning and forecasting years out. Every car manufacturer is moving rapidly into electric vehicles with most already committing to 100% EV in the future. The EV train has already left the station and isn’t stopping.

Adding to this is the fact that a new Scout is still two years out and things will have progressed even further with numerous new EVs on the market, technology and software advances and much more. For all these reasons and many more, it only makes sense that the new Scout be electric.

Give us a chance and see what you think. Worst case you might be pleasantly surprised. 🍺

**** you guys try being polite. If you think someone has something wrong, don’t be a fricken a-hole. You can have some manners and politely correct someone. Then they can decide of what you’re saying is correct to them.

Reactions: OffRoadLucy
f*ck you guys try being polite. If you think someone has something wrong, don’t be a fricken a-hole. You can have some manners and politely correct someone. Then they can decide of what you’re saying is correct to them.
I meant no disrespect and tried to convey that with "in the purest of senses". Text can be hard to hear tone, and I for one try to be mindful of that.

That said, my 4xe Wrangler has 30 miles of electric range on a 17kWh battery. This new Scout will have tons more capacity and therefore range. Even in "4Lo" it'll still have plenty. Tbh 4Lo in my JLURe is cut down significantly due to gear ratios in the transfer, the new Scout probably won't have that component at all.

And I share your range anxiety. I personally am advocating for an option to have a portable, small generator be mounted via quick-disconnect for longer trips, acting like a series hybrid(the engine only provides power generation like a modern locomotive).

But I implore you to calm down and try not to be so divisive. Just come in to a conversation with an open mind. What's the worst that could happen? :)

f**k you guys try being polite. If you think someone has something wrong, don’t be a fricken a-hole. You can have some manners and politely correct someone. Then they can decide of what you’re saying is correct to them.

Thanks for the reminder to add a few more words to the censor function. We can swear with the best of them around here, but this needs to be a work friendly environment and I think we can all make our point without resorting to bashing each other.

Let's see how this goes or we'll have to lock this one up. 🍺

Let’s play nice. :). We're all excited about the possibilities here...

The global move to electric vehicles isn't a U.S. centric thing. In the first half of 2022 world wide internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle sales declined -16% while battery eletric vehicle (BEV) sales increased +75%. 80% of new car registrations in Norway last year were EVs. Hyundai has already announced that they are no longer going to offer ICE vehicles in Norway. China sells more EVs in one month than the U.S. sold in the whole year. Numerous countries are making them mandatory in the future including China. All car manufacturers have to do product planning and forecasting years out. Every car manufacturer is moving rapidly into electric vehicles with most already committing to 100% EV in the future. The EV train has already left the station and isn’t stopping.

Adding to this is the fact that a new Scout is still two years out and things will have progressed even further with numerous new EVs on the market, technology and software advances and much more. For all these reasons and many more, it only makes sense that the new Scout be electric.

Give us a chance and see what you think. Worst case you might be pleasantly surprised. 🍺
Gonna compound on this and add in that California is planning to ban new EV sales in light-duty vehicles by 2035, with a bunch of other states following suit. Without existing ICE infrastructure in place for our production, we're able to hit EV production head-on and get a jump start on the game here.

While we realize that there is a contingency that isn't a fan of the push to electric, legislation like this only expedites the R&D processes and advancement of BEV technology, which only helps with things like charging infrastructure, range, technology, accessories, support, etc.

I've always been a big motorhead but will admit that in the last 4-5 years, especially, I've become a fan of EVs. My first job out of college was for an online media outlet and I've had the opportunity to drive everything from early hybrids to supercars, hypercars, ultimate luxury, budget and mass production, and full EVs. I can say from my experience that EVs have come insanely far in their development and capabilities and are only progressing faster.

In terms of range, we're engineering these so that they'll be able to get out on the trails and back, so definitely more than 50 miles of range, and built to be tough. A few things to consider for offroading as well, that most people wouldn't think of (which is fair because there really aren't many offroad EVs)... When off-roading in an ICE, as long as the engine is on, you're burning fuel, especially in older engines. In EVs when you're at rest, the vehicle isn't burning gas. Secondly, EVs have instant max torque, so there's no revving to get in power bands, and burning fuel to do so. And thirdly, EVs have regenerative properties, so they can recoup some range off of the energy produced from things like braking, which ICEs can't do. When riding on trails and off-road, almost as much time is spent on the brake pedal as the power, which is huge for regen. It's actually fairly similar to urban and city driving in terms of time on power vs brakes.

Finally, there's actually a dynamic of off-roading in an EV, where you can hear much more of what's going on around you, and it provides a different experience that's actually really cool. I spent some time in the Norra and Rebelle ID4's out in the Mojave on part of the KOH course, back-to-back with a class 11 Beetle, last winter and it was really cool to be able to hear everything that was impacting the ID4s as I was driving them.

I still love my LJ Rubi, and will continue to take it on adventures, but am personally stoked to wheel EVs, and having seen these vehicles develop, and the most recent engineering updates, I can't wait to get them out and onto the trails.

Also, I know people get heated on the topics, and are super passionate... we really dig that, but as Jamie mentioned, try to be cool with each other on here. We're all here to lend our input and opinions, and love to hear them all. These differences in opinions are healthy and deserve to be shared, just avoid bashing each other.

**** you guys try being polite. If you think someone has something wrong, don’t be a fricken a-hole. You can have some manners and politely correct someone. Then they can decide of what you’re saying is correct to them.
With all due respect you came out of the gate with accusations and crazy claims. others have already politely expressed their desires for an ICE version or even a hybrid version and they did it with manners and grace.

with that being said i hope we can civilly proceed from here.

As far as the group on this forum goes i'm likely the most "EV loving" of the group. I want to give you some links that will be very informative:

This is the thread i mentioned earlier someone was talking about a rivian going up a mountain for 4 days....it isn't perfect but it gives some great information relevant to your concerns

This is a video of someone doing a "hill climb" with the Rivian R1T and R1S. these both have independent air suspension. This is likely the closest existing example of what the Scout will be like once in production.

I'm very passionate about vehicles and EVs so i'm available to discuss anything.

This all being said, would love to hear more from you though @Scoutnron .

One of the cool things about the Scout Community is that there are people from all sorts of backgrounds who've built their vehicles for all uses, from off-roading and wheeling, to work trucks, daily cruisers, etc. Looks like you've got a beefy build there, so would dig hearing some more on your build, how you use it, and how you got into Scouts.

All that info helps us moving forward with designing, engineering, evolving, etc.

I think you need to do some reading, research, and critical thinking before you post sir.

You seem extremely ignorant on the subject, and I mean that in the purest of senses.

Ask questions. Have an open mind. Then when you feel you've gotten a good deal of info, make a stance or decision.
**** you you stupid bastard

Gonna compound on this and add in that California is planning to ban new EV sales in light-duty vehicles by 2035, with a bunch of other states following suit. Without existing ICE infrastructure in place for our production, we're able to hit EV production head-on and get a jump start on the game here.

While we realize that there is a contingency that isn't a fan of the push to electric, legislation like this only expedites the R&D processes and advancement of BEV technology, which only helps with things like charging infrastructure, range, technology, accessories, support, etc.

I've always been a big motorhead but will admit that in the last 4-5 years, especially, I've become a fan of EVs. My first job out of college was for an online media outlet and I've had the opportunity to drive everything from early hybrids to supercars, hypercars, ultimate luxury, budget and mass production, and full EVs. I can say from my experience that EVs have come insanely far in their development and capabilities and are only progressing faster.

In terms of range, we're engineering these so that they'll be able to get out on the trails and back, so definitely more than 50 miles of range, and built to be tough. A few things to consider for offroading as well, that most people wouldn't think of (which is fair because there really aren't many offroad EVs)... When off-roading in an ICE, as long as the engine is on, you're burning fuel, especially in older engines. In EVs when you're at rest, the vehicle isn't burning gas. Secondly, EVs have instant max torque, so there's no revving to get in power bands, and burning fuel to do so. And thirdly, EVs have regenerative properties, so they can recoup some range off of the energy produced from things like braking, which ICEs can't do. When riding on trails and off-road, almost as much time is spent on the brake pedal as the power, which is huge for regen. It's actually fairly similar to urban and city driving in terms of time on power vs brakes.

Finally, there's actually a dynamic of off-roading in an EV, where you can hear much more of what's going on around you, and it provides a different experience that's actually really cool. I spent some time in the Norra and Rebelle ID4's out in the Mojave on part of the KOH course, back-to-back with a class 11 Beetle, last winter and it was really cool to be able to hear everything that was impacting the ID4s as I was driving them.

I still love my LJ Rubi, and will continue to take it on adventures, but am personally stoked to wheel EVs, and having seen these vehicles develop, and the most recent engineering updates, I can't wait to get them out and onto the trails.

Also, I know people get heated on the topics, and are super passionate... we really dig that, but as Jamie mentioned, try to be cool with each other on here. We're all here to lend our input and opinions, and love to hear them all. These differences in opinions are healthy and deserve to be shared, just avoid bashing

• Haha
Reactions: corradoborg
I was cool I wasn’t trying to bash anyone but these stupid morons can’t seem to discuss something or ask me a question why I feel the way I do without bashing. So you morons that bashed me go get some counseling and learn how to communicate if you would’ve asked me why I posted what I did, I would’ve been happy to explain it. I will not stand for people being jerks to me. I try to treat everybody with respect. That being said a few things that will stop me from buying this new scout. If it has independent suspension I will not buy one. If it doesn’t have a removable top I will not buy one I can handle an EV I know the benefits of having an electric engine, but at the same time the electrical infrastructure from what I’ve read, it’s not ready for everybody to have an electric vehicle. California’s electrical infrastructure is a good example do some research. And I would like a place to hook up a generator on this new scout. in my 74 scout all I have to do is throw some extra gas cans in and I’m covered but with an electric I have to take a generator and gas so at least make a place the generator can be mounted.

• Haha
Reactions: corradoborg

Also, I know people get heated on the topics, and are super passionate... we really dig that, but as Jamie mentioned, try to be cool with each other on here. We're all here to lend our input and opinions, and love to hear them all. These differences in opinions are healthy and deserve to be shared, just avoid bashing each other.
I've still got my first car (68 Scout 800) that I bought in 1986. I also have a 2021 Tesla. I can't wait to have the best of both worlds. @Chris@ScoutMotors please make sure this thing doesn't get over designed. Simplicity is what we love about Scouts and it's why I like my Tesla. Clean lines, no distractions. Go to the whiteboard, draw a rectangle, two circles for wheels and a slanted line for a windshield and then send it to production. Note: I'm implying/assuming that the top better come off easily.

I was cool I wasn’t trying to bash anyone but these stupid morons can’t seem to discuss something or ask me a question why I feel the way I do without bashing.
The title of this thread is you tossing out insults. You were trying to bash people suggesting the 'only' reason to have an electric car is to be politically correct.

So you morons that bashed me go get some counseling and learn how to communicate if you would’ve asked me why I posted what I did, I would’ve been happy to explain it. I will not stand for people being jerks to me. I try to treat everybody with respect.
The only thing everyone said was you need to do some research. I was the only one who tossed some very PG rated insults at you. And you come back with things that the mods have to censor. Not seeing equal respect here.

That being said a few things that will stop me from buying this new scout. If it has independent suspension I will not buy one. If it doesn’t have a removable top I will not buy one I can handle an EV I know the benefits of having an electric engine, but at the same time the electrical infrastructure from what I’ve read, it’s not ready for everybody to have an electric vehicle.
This is a common misconception. There are two infrastructures that are referenced when talking about this;

The first is fast DC charging networks. This is severely lacking in all but the most populated areas. But it does exist to an extent. When I road trip on i95 it's great. But when I go to the smoky mountains it is worse. But there are new chargers being built every day and it is one of those things where the more demand there is the more that will be built.

The second infrastructure that is mentioned is the regular electric grid. The truth is that the grid can handle cars being plugged in. The grid has the capacity. The weak part is surge.... theoretically if everyone plugged in their car at the same time it could overload the new demand and then blow fuses...similar to when you see your lights dim when you first turn on your vacuum. However most people will not plug in at the exact same time AND electric cars are smarter than vacuumed and they don't instantly suck as much electricity as possible right away, they will slowly ramp up making sure the connection is stable....so this also helps to reduce that possibility.

I hope I have given you some interesting topics to think about. If not, I hope you have a good weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.