So what does everyone think of the first new Scout designs...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Hello everyone and welcome to the forum!

My name is Jamie Vondruska and I'm part of the community team here at Scout Motors and will be helping to get these forums going, answer questions to the best of my ability, and overall make sure your stay here is comfortable and fun. Chris@scoutmotors and I will be regularly chiming in on the discussion, posting new Scout news, occasionally cleaning house, and doing our best to participate as much as we can.

As you would imagine, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes when you start a new car company from the ground up and it is incredibly exciting to watch it come together. One of the things our management team wanted to see from the start was a community forum like this one where we can get your feedback, suggestions, and comments and hear your Scout stories. This is a unique situation for any car company and after running one of the largest car forums in the world (VWvortex), I was excited to get involved with Scout. As you can imagine, there are probably still more questions than answers as Scout comes back to life here in the U.S. But we'll do our best to answer them and run all your suggestions by our team. Speaking of the team, they will be actively reading these forums and taking your comments and suggestions to heart, so let us know what you think and you might even see our team members chiming in and asking more questions.

So let's get the ball rolling and talk about the initial Scout concept design sketches that were first released in June of 2022:

Scout Tease Sketches.jpg

Obvious influences? Nods to previous Scout products? Good start? Headed in the right direction? What does everyone think?

Let's hear it!

- Jamie

Last edited:
I have a 68 Scout 800 and I think the top picture would be a great blend of a 800/Scout II… the rear window angle screams the rear topper windows on a Scout II as well as the rear lights (in feel) but the body lines make more feel more like the 80/800’s. It works, for me.

On the pickup, I wonder if you all are going for something like the Rivian or a Ford Maverick in general esthetic or if you might consider something more traditional in pickup design… or possibly like a Scout Terra. The truck feels like you have a 4 door design in mind with a short bed.

The Scout name is certainly storied and tough, it's great you are bringing it back. My only visual concern is the rear corner windows. I understand the spiritual kink in the back, but that looks like an awful blind spot. Go look at the FJ Cruiser. That thing in practically deadly for looking over your shoulder out the back. I hate/do not trust or use blind spot technology. Keep it Simple.

On the pickup, I wonder if you all are going for something like the Rivian or a Ford Maverick in general esthetic or if you might consider something more traditional in pickup design… or possibly like a Scout Terra. The truck feels like you have a 4 door design in mind with a short bed.

The market clearly likes four-door pickup trucks as the added interior space for families often outweighs the usage of the bed itself. That said, nothing is off the table at this point.

The Scout name is certainly storied and tough, it's great you are bringing it back. My only visual concern is the rear corner windows. I understand the spiritual kink in the back, but that looks like an awful blind spot. Go look at the FJ Cruiser. That thing in practically deadly for looking over your shoulder out the back. I hate/do not trust or use blind spot technology. Keep it Simple.

Not a huge fan of it. The SUV looks too much like a Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80.

Noted. There is always a bit of ground to cover between pen and ink drawings and full-size 3D prototypes.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Reactions: jswan
I really like the concept. I wonder if a actual lift gate / tail gate would be welcomed by the customers. A one piece lift gate does make it easier to load / unload items in the cargo area, however the tail gate is much welcomed for actual "tailgating", camping, gathering, etc. .. that said I admit to taking shelter from gentle rains by standing under the opened liftgate of a Scout Traveler. As far as the drive line... well let's see what direction it starts to go. Lots of options with electric powered platforms -- central motor driving individual wheel hydro motors, more traditional set-ups that are on the market now but more substantial and durable with better water forging capabilities.... All very interesting. Thanks for taking the legacy seriously while looking to the Future. The original Scout had several "first" along the way. It looks as if perhaps that part of the legacy may continue going forward as well. I hope there is some contributions to design and manufacturing from Navistar as that will go along way in making some of us feel more secure with the platform. With all the current and ongoing future designs with the larger trucks and Navistar Defense programs one can't help but think that some of that knowledge could be useful in bringing together the needed talent and experience for the all new Scout. Wishing the new scout team every success!!

I think it has a real appeal for the right group of buyers. Please, please build a real offroad capable EV with formidable range and course capabilites. No more of these 100k+ show trucks that will NEVER see the road less traveled. Plenty of Mallfinders out there already. Build the revived Scout brand to proudly reflect on its rich history and tradition of what this namesake really means. If you build with real applications, passion, real world necessities of a true offroad EV, your community will support you... and grow.

It would probably be good to keep the original long nose Scout proportions but you should be careful not be seen as a chopped top Rivian. I love the design as it is now even if it will change a little prior to production. I can put a few concept designs together for you if you’re interested!

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
Its early, but would like to emphasize the fact that Scouts are removable hard top rugged SUV's. Rivian doesn't have the rough n tough style in the bag, looks more like a grocery getter. Ford Bronco actually did a great job with the relaunch! Having a strong aftermarket side to "customize" will also be of great interest. Needs to have a split tailgate design.

As you progress I'm sure there will be sub models and packages, wonder if you can tap into those historic package names/call outs.

Equus drew inspiration from the Scout. 2-dr SWB

M_Final-2022M_Jpeg8.jpg

For me, I think the key ingredients are:
1. Removable top and doors
2. Offroad capable
3. Modern but capturing the distinct look of the Scout
4. Plenty of dealer options/packages
5. Aftermarket customization
6. Affordable base price
Completely agree with Hellbilly. Removable top is a must or might as well buy a Bronco. I see comments about the rear side window and I like the nod to the originals but it looks a bit forced. I think in time it can be softened a bit but still reflect the scout history. I also think if the original renders showed a break line at the roof it would feel better. Also curious about the rear taillights. Obviously no rear view but the appear to be a bit too modern looking. There’s huge desire for the Bronco right now and that’s because they found the right balance between old and new. That is the most critical hurdle your design team has to make to make this successful (along with removable top as already mentioned)
anxious to see more sneak peaks

Agree with the convertible top. I'm not a fan of the rear designs on the SUV and Pickup. The lines and angles look like the boilerplate design on most modern cars nowadays. Also as a taller person, I'd like less slant on the window angle.
The near vertical slant on windshields results in rock chips being much more common. Even Jeep sloped the windshields more on the JLs. I have a new Bronco, I was on my second windshield in less than three months and the new one was already chipped three weeks later. There are tons of other bronco owners who are on their second, third, or even fourth windshields. They don’t make a gorilla glass windshield for broncos yet, but Jeep owners will tell you that even the gorilla glass doesn’t help much. I don’t disagree, but if they go more vertical with the windshield angle, I’d suggest getting the lowest deductible you can on your comprehensive coverage.