Scout Motors FAQ - Last update December 28, 2023

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Below is our Scout Motors FAQ to make it easier to look at the latest information and commonly asked questions. If you see an answer below, that is the official answer for now as we are still a ways out on a large number of decisions. We will update this FAQ and reflect the date of the changes as well as things progress.

SCOUT MOTORS FAQ - Last update: December 28, 2023

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY A NEW SCOUT VEHICLE?

A: We are currently (December 2023) in the early stages of starting a new automotive company. There are numerous moving pieces that need to come together before we can start building vehicles. That said, we are already making quite a bit of progress, and we aim to start production at the end of 2026. Between now and then, keep an eye out for more teasers, easter eggs, early concepts, business announcements, community visits, events, and much more. We also hope to share numerous behind-the-scenes stories with you and offer some forum-exclusive swag, so stay tuned.

Q: WHEN WILL THE VEHICLES DEBUT?

A: We will debut our first two models in the 3rd quarter of 2024 and reservations can be made around the same time.

Q: WHAT SCOUT MODELS ARE PLANNED AT THIS POINT?

A: Our current plans include a rugged SUV and pickup truck that live up to the Scout name. Our goal is to ensure they are capable and tough and offer everything you’d expect in a modern vehicle at a price that won’t break the bank. All our vehicles will be fully electric (BEV) when they are introduced.

Q: WHY FULLY ELECTRIC?

A: The electrification of transportation isn’t new, and it isn’t limited to just the United States. This is a global movement in the transportation world. More research is being spent on battery technology than ever before. With more and more of our everyday items utilizing batteries, the push to make batteries more efficient is the future. These are exciting times in the automotive industry.

We’re in a unique position where we have the backing of a major automotive group and the freedom to build these vehicles from the ground up. Without any existing internal combustion engine (ICE) production for Scout vehicles, we have a blank slate to build from. This will allow us to dive head-on into BEV production from the start without the burden of transitioning over from ICE. We have the opportunity to build, from the dirt up, the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, and we aren't not messing around.

Q: IS SCOUT PART OF VOLKSWAGEN?

A: In September 2022, Scout became the next great American startup when it was officially incorporated in Delaware. Though an independent company, Scout is backed by Volkswagen Group. This provides Scout with the vehicle and production engineering expertise to quickly ramp production of high quality vehicles while also allowing the creativity and agility that an entrepreneurial company needs to thrive. Scout will focus on one thing – bringing a new generation of Scout vehicles to market that are a worthy and modern successor to original Scout, and forging the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs.

Q: WHERE WILL THE NEW SCOUT VEHICLES BE BUILT?

A: The all-new Scout will be proudly made in America in Columbia, South Carolina. This decision solidifies a $2B investment in US manufacturing, the creation of 4,000 or more permanent jobs, and the potential to produce 200,000 or more Scouts annually when operating at full capacity. You can read the full press release HERE.

Q: WHAT BATTERY SIZE WILL YOU USE IN YOUR VEHICLES?

A: We will announce that as soon as we have settled on the final specifications.

Q: HOW MANY ELECTRIC MOTORS WILL YOU USE?

A: That will be announced when the final specifications are ready.

Q: WILL YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLATFORM BE BASED ON AN EXISTING EV PLATFORM?

A: No. The new Scout vehicles are getting a new BEV platform designed specifically for these vehicles, allowing us to make them rugged, capable, and bespoke to their purpose. The new Scouts will utilize an all-new ladder-frame chassis as a committment to build a proper offroad, durable and capable vehicle.

Q: WHAT SIZE WILL THE NEW SCOUT SUVS AND PICKUP TRUCKS BE?

A: We are still finalizing specs, but they will be competitive with other SUVs and full-size pickup trucks in the market.

Q: WILL THERE BE A TWO-DOOR AND A FOUR-DOOR VERSION?

A: At the moment, Scout is initially only planning for the production of 4-door SUVs and trucks.

Q: WILL THE ROOF BE REMOVABLE?

A: We’ve had everything on the table as we’ve worked through numerous design iterations and squared our concepts with regulatory and safety requirements. This will continue to evolve as we get feedback from consumer product clinics and surveys. Scout’s original DNA is important to us, and in some form or fashion, you’re going to see this in the product.

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO PLACE AN ORDER/RESERVATION?

A: Shortly after we debut the Scout concepts in mid-2024, we plan to offer a reservation system.

Q: ARE THERE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AT SCOUT MOTORS?

A: Of course! We are actively recruiting, growing quickly, and regularly post our open positions here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/scoutmotors.

Q: CAN I GIVE INPUT?

A: Absolutely! You can do it directly in our Scout Community Forums (https://scoutmotors.community.forum). Car companies rarely set up their own community platforms seeking input on new products. We believe transparency is a good thing, and interacting with our potential customers during the development of a brand-new car company is genuinely unique. We encourage you to follow along on this journey and give us feedback along the way.

Last edited:
Below is our Scout Motors FAQ to make it easier to look at the latest information and commonly asked questions. If you see an answer below, that is the official answer for now as we are still a ways out on a large number of decisions. We will update this FAQ and reflect the date of the changes as well as things progress.

SCOUT MOTORS FAQ - Last update: January 3, 2022

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY A NEW SCOUT VEHICLE?

A: We are currently (January 2023) in the early stages of starting a new automotive company. There are numerous moving pieces that need to come together before we can start building vehicles. That said, we are already making quite a bit of progress, and we aim to start production in 2026, with sales following in the same year. Between now and then, keep an eye out for more teasers, easter eggs, early concepts, business announcements, community visits, events, and much more. We also hope to share numerous behind-the-scenes stories with you and offer some forum-exclusive swag, so stay tuned.

Q: WHAT SCOUT MODELS ARE PLANNED AT THIS POINT?

A: Our current plans include a rugged SUV and pickup truck that live up to the Scout name. Our goal is to ensure they are capable and tough and offer everything you’d expect in a modern vehicle at a price that won’t break the bank. All our vehicles will be fully electric (BEV) when they are introduced.

Q: WHY FULLY ELECTRIC?

A: The electrification of transportation isn’t new, and it isn’t limited to just the United States. This is a global movement in the transportation world. More research is being spent on battery technology than ever before. With more and more of our everyday items utilizing batteries, the push to make batteries more efficient is the future. These are exciting times in the automotive industry.

We’re in a unique position where we have the backing of a major automotive group and the freedom to build these vehicles from the ground up. Without any existing internal combustion engine (ICE) production for Scout vehicles, we have a blank slate to build from. This will allow us to dive head-on into BEV production from the start without the burden of transitioning over from ICE. We have the opportunity to build, from the dirt up, the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs, and we aren't not messing around.

Q: IS SCOUT PART OF VOLKSWAGEN?

A: Although Scout Motors Inc. is wholly owned by Volkswagen AG, it is operated as a separate company, headquartered in the US, focusing on one thing – bringing a new generation of Scout vehicles to market that are a worthy and modern successor to original Scout, and forging the future of all-electric trucks and rugged SUVs.

Q: WHERE WILL THE NEW SCOUT VEHICLES BE BUILT?

A: They will be assembled in the United States.

Q: WHAT BATTERY SIZE WILL YOU USE IN YOUR VEHICLES?

A: We will announce that as soon as we have settled on the final specifications.

Q: HOW MANY ELECTRIC MOTORS WILL YOU USE?

A: That will be announced when the final specifications are ready.

Q: WILL YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLATFORM BE BASED ON AN EXISTING EV PLATFORM?

A: No. The new Scout vehicles are getting a new BEV platform designed specifically for these vehicles, allowing us to make them rugged, capable, and bespoke to their purpose.

Q: WHAT SIZE WILL THE NEW SCOUT SUVS AND PICKUP TRUCKS BE?

A: We are still finalizing specs, but they will be competitive with other SUVs and pickup trucks in the market.

Q: WILL THERE BE A TWO-DOOR AND A FOUR-DOOR VERSION?

A: At the moment, Scout is only planning for the production of 4-door SUVs and trucks.

Q: WILL THE ROOF BE REMOVABLE?

A: We are exploring all possibilities to see what can be done to give the most open experience while offering optimal range, functionality, and passenger safety.

Q: WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO PLACE AN ORDER/RESERVATION?

A: We will let everyone know as soon as we have information.

Q: ARE THERE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AT SCOUT MOTORS?

A: Of course! We are actively recruiting, growing quickly, and regularly post our open positions here: https://scoutmotors.rippling-ats.com.

Q: CAN I GIVE INPUT?

A: Absolutely! You can do it directly in our Scout Community Forums (http://scoutmotors.community.forums). Car companies rarely set up their own community platforms seeking input on new products. We believe transparency is a good thing, and interacting with our potential customers during the development of a brand-new car company is genuinely unique. We encourage you to follow along on this journey and give us feedback along the way.
Looking forward to some swag! 😁
Nervous about the removable roof answer :confused: Hard top on if extended range is preferred for a trip. Soft top/Top down if driver so chooses, knowing the range might be affected. 🙏🙏🙏 stick with a Scout that has a soft top option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodie and Schpungus
Coming out the gate aiming directly at your foot... nice. So much for having a unique slate of offerings, if you plan on driving in Rivian's ruts.

The prospects you're offering seem improbable in a vehicle claimed to be the successor of an extremely economical, agrarian work machine that essentially defined an entire segment of vehicles for generations. I think an honest statement like the above was a good way to start to break the news to people that your vehicles will be Scouts barely in name only... not anything near the ground-breaker that was sketched on a napkin over 60 years ago, just a nameplate bought by the highest bidder & tacked onto a committee-built salesmobile.

My initial hopes were that Scout Motors would reinvent the small utilitarian vehicle, that they'd reintroduce simplicity to the American car buyer as opposed to the bloated, 3-4 ton computer operated trail wreckers being designed and sold today. The first IH Scout 80 rolled off the line for less than $20k in 2023 dollars, decently kitted & weighed less than two tons. If Scout Motors is relying on nostalgia, they'd be wise to remember who the first Scout buyers were that made the platform so popular (car buyers who wanted cheap, utilitarian transport), not the people who bought them second-third-and fourth hand because they were cheap off-road options when jeeps and broncos got too expensive to bash around in the woods, or those who bought them as lifestyle vehicles as they aged. The Jimney is a great example of what the new scout could aspire to. Small, rugged, and able to be utilized for many different driver scenarios.

Just so we're clear, I'm still rooting for the company... just not as a potential buyer of their product anymore at this point. It looks to be a nostalgia grab more than an engineering exercise in developing a cheap, rugged, utilitarian off-road BEV. There's been a lot of huff and fluff with very little to show so far & the tack the company (albeit infantile in age) has so far taken hasn't really impressed. For all the money they have access to, they're moving remarkably slowly in unveiling any product or internal news to the public I'm glad SM is taking suggestions from (and listening to) potential buyers... it's a great way to make sure your product is desirable across the market and $ells well, which we all know is the overall goal as it was when the first 80 was designed and sold. There's still 3 years to knock my socks off, but I'm realizing I'm not, nor ever have been their intended market.

It was pretty clear at first unveiling of the front end & initial renderings that it'll vaguely look Scout II-ish, and that's more than likely where any similarity will end aside from having 4 wheels and a windshield.

Here's my prediction... though I hope it's not the case. It'll end up like every other BEV offering, only maybe a bit more watertight with better clearance and approach/departure angles (lets not forget to put a retro Scout badge on every flat surface including the seat backs & maybe make the interior look like it was hewn out of actual Rock so it appears "rugged" while able to be scratched by a fingernail, and fasteners... plenty of exposed fasteners. I've heard from bronco and landie drivers that they love them). It'll have the same motor/drive system as other VAG offerings (gotta love solid supply chains) rather than them pairing with Dana etc. to develop bespoke 4x4 axles or similar... that's not how the industry works, right? It'll weigh in at something ridiculous, much too heavy to remotely believe you're "Treading Lightly" anywhere but asphalt or concrete, but they'll market it as having a feather touch on the Environment. It'll be big. Bigger than it needs to be, I guarantee. Like, two whole doors too big. It'll be grossly overpowered by original Scout standards, likely able to outdrive even seasoned off-roaders for no other reason aside from shitass bragging rights. Everything will be run through a big central screen... no levers to pull or slide, no satisfying "clunk" when engaging 4wd, maybe there'll be a button or two to push but the era of physical controls is gone.

When Scout Motors comes up with an actual innovation that separates it from other BEV's, whether in design, manufacturing, or established tech... I'll start to get interested again. As it sits, SM will need to have a platform soon. I hope any early decisions they make aren't undercut by tech advances these next couple years, as Hydrogen seems to be making inroads into the mainstream autoworld. Cummins is doing some great things with Hydrogen Combustion Engines, and Power Paste has been making some waves lately. Mazda has a rotary range extender coming to the U.S., and there's been little noticeable advancement regarding battery power density and/or materials as of late. Three years is an awful long time to sit on a committed drivetrain when competing advancements are being headlined in the news daily.

Also, we don't want a repeat of the '79-'80 UAW strike that ultimately led to IH liquidating assets including the Scout, so treat your autoworkers well if you start producing vehicles.

Aside from aping the look of the Scout II and offering yet-to-be-seen off-road prowess, I guess what I'm asking of Scout Motors is What' do you think is going to make your car a Scout from your standpoint as a Manufacturer? Fun Colors? Made in the U.S. is a great starting point, but I'll hold out to see if there's anything about the new rigs that drew me to owning 3 of their old ones.

Yeah, I didn't like the New Coke when it came out either. Prove me wrong please.

At the risk of frustrating you further than you are, there are numerous threads on the forum that explain why various approaches and decisions that are being made. Reading these may help inform you further on your posted concerns above. Through continued conversations with Scout enthusiasts on this forum your thoughtful concerns may help guide the final vehicle to be more like what you desire. I myself would prefer an ICE rather than EV. That said, the team has explained why the EV direction is the choice and they, along with others on the forum have helped educate me and get more onboard with EV’s.
Best of luck to you

Lots of Q left without A's, but it's cool that we have a place to congregate, collect information and brush shoulders with some of the team bent over the drawing tables.

Attachments

• Life_before_autocad (1).jpg
    Life_before_autocad (1).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 25
Hattori -

Thanks for the long response, and I'll do my best to try and offer some perspective from my end, particularly on the automotive industry side.

I think when we talk about the original Scout (or any 40-60+ year-old vehicle), it is worth pointing out overall how much the auto industry has changed (yeah, I know, duh, but bear with me...). The Scout 80, like a lot of vehicles back then, had two doors, crank windows, very little sound deadening, no electronics, very minimal wiring harness, a non-insulated top, basic sheet metal prone to rusting, two-wheel (and four-wheel) drive configurations, 3-speed manual transmission, seats with basic rake adjustment, no modern safety equipment and on and on. If we attempted to build a vehicle just like the original Scout, it would not be competitive in the marketplace. It also wouldn't meet current EPA and DOT safety and pollution requirements. Plus, it would likely only appeal to 2-5% of the market at best.

Back-up cameras are required. ABS brakes are required. Electronic stability control systems are required. Multiple airbags are required. Side impact beams are required. Rollover protection is required. Small-overlap protection is required. Seatbelts have pre-tensioners. Consumers expect power windows, power/remote locks, quiet interiors that don't squeak or rattle, cell phone connectivity, security systems, seats with multiple adjustments, fold-down rear seats in multiple configurations, multi-speed wipers, HVAC systems that heat and cool quickly, and on and on and on. Over the last 20 years, the number of features expected and offered at even lower price points has grown 10-fold in some cases. Plus, the computers and electronics to run all of it are just part of the program. Techs must be able to plug in a laptop and run diagnostics, and the results need to go back to corporate so problems can be tracked and solutions provided. I think many of us take for granted all the systems, software, and hardware that are required in a modern vehicle - even if we didn't ask for a good portion of it. The industry before covid did an amazing job holding the line on pricing while adding 2-5x more features. That's the competitive market manufacturers compete in now.

When the Scout 80 was introduced, it was a better alternative to what back then was a stripped-out military Jeep. Until the Bronco came along in 1966, the Scout 80 was unique. Today there are numerous SUVs on the market and strong offerings from both Jeep and Bronco. They all try and match each other's competitive sets, and the result is similar specs and features at the end of the day. It is challenging to differentiate your product today. Because so many basic features are standard on many vehicles, you start getting into expensive unique features like 4-wheel steering and such to try and make your product different. And at the same time, adding complexity and cost as well. Or you try and capture unique software features that no one offers. Either way, it is a lot more difficult in today's marketplace to differentiate your product, and often you only have that advantage for a short time till your competitor offers it as well.

Having said that, we think the new Scout will be different and stand on its own merits. We've said it won't use any existing VW Group EV platform, so you should assume that means good things. There will be new technology unique to Scout specifications. We said it would be rugged, and we will back that claim up. It also has to be competitive in the marketplace, and we know that we can't make everyone happy. But we plan to offer both base value versions and a variety of trim levels at different price points to hopefully offer people what they want.

While from the outside, it may seem like things have been quiet lately, I can tell you that there is a TON going on behind the scenes. Our factory location will be announced soon. We are working with suppliers to finalize contracts on certain pieces, and once that's done, we should be able to share some technical details as well. Our hope is to have a deep dive in a few months on the technical specs underneath the body. The design team is finalizing the concept designs, and work has started on building the first concepts. You will see the concepts later on in the year and we are hoping to invite many of you to come to see them. We will also likely be touring with the concepts as well, so stay tuned. We still have many details to hammer out, but Chris and I remain excited by everything we've seen and heard behind the scenes so far. Thanks for your continued patience and we're looking forward to the journey.

- Jamie

Are you guys going for a home run... or just to create something to grab market share?
You COULD tap into your Audi E-tron bag of tricks and create a BRONCO KILLER, rather than just joining the fray... sure you will make a ton of money going for the mainstream average... but... you could grab balls and risk it bigger, and dominate out of the gate. Just saying... look at the Nissan NSX as example... that was a home run in the age of general mundane. To produce a "new scout" that is a rivian compete... for the sake of just getting a ride out there... is lackluster. For there to even be a "all things are being considered" option regarding removable roof and other base details, SCREAMS someone has no idea what they are supposed to be building. If doing a modern hard top... fantastic... that is a Jeep Cherokee... take it back to Jeep.

Is the jeep guy in charge of design going to start driving a Scout anytime soon so he starts to get where WE are all coming from? Asking out loud... sure being a master of design is awesome and all... from a general and generic standpoint... but I thought we are not bringing out a general and generic Scout... are we? (we=you).

Finally... make a VW THING electric platform for the road guys... THAT would be cool... and then we can part them from US. Just saying...

Will you be offering coffee? I need some.

"Consumers expect power windows"

Well... SOME do, we don't.
You know WHY Ferrari is NOT phasing out internal combustion? BECAUSE THEY ARE FERRARI!!! They know their audience...
If you are going for the market you claim... stop thinking general.... I want sandals I can ski in... but that ain't happening... I know my realities.

Yeah, I didn't like the New Coke when it came out either. Prove me wrong please.

NEW COKE was a scam... it was a time delay so people lost the taste for what REAL COKE was... after the fake ruckus and the cave 'okay we'll bring it back' the RENAMED "Classic Coke" came back... NO IT DIDN'T.... The return to the old, was not at all. They jumped on the fake sugars train and have been making a KILLING with the switch to HFCS at that moment, and took a complete step away from real sugar. It was a scam... This is why "Mexican Coke" is so good... because it retained the CANE SUGAR... and IS THE OLD COKE.

So back to fake trucks or something....

NEW COKE was a scam... it was a time delay so people lost the taste for what REAL COKE was... after the fake ruckus and the cave 'okay we'll bring it back' the RENAMED "Classic Coke" came back... NO IT DIDN'T.... The return to the old, was not at all. They jumped on the fake sugars train and have been making a KILLING with the switch to HFCS at that moment, and took a complete step away from real sugar. It was a scam... This is why "Mexican Coke" is so good... because it retained the CANE SUGAR... and IS THE OLD COKE.

So back to fake trucks or something....
I don’t think you need any more coffee! Coming in a little hot today!

Had a Scout. Have always wanted a new Scout. Have a Bronco at home. I’m not a hands-on mod car guy-outgrew that years ago so I want a solid, great looking, removable top SUV and I’m willing to get onboard the EV train to do so. I need auto windows-it’s 2023, every new car has auto windows and I want them to all be express down and up. That said I’d still love the front rotating window in the corners-loved those

Reactions: Harris005
Had a Scout. Have always wanted a new Scout. Have a Bronco at home. I’m not a hands-on mod car guy-outgrew that years ago so I want a solid, great looking, removable top SUV and I’m willing to get onboard the EV train to do so. I need auto windows-it’s 2023, every new car has auto windows and I want them to all be express down and up. That said I’d still love the front rotating window in the corners-loved those
Lol... I run hot... better for combustion. I have 9 Scouts outside and 2 concurrent under the wrench right now. Stepping back out... gotta smack a Torington bearing a little harder!!! (never enough coffee!!)

Here is a FAQ. As early-ish members of the Scout Community, will we get a special heads up or link to put in a reservation at least a little before the wider audience? Like give us a 24 hours head start… and don’t forget Canada. We would be the best brand ambassadors. What do you think? @Jamie@ScoutMotors

Reactions: Rallye and J Alynn
Here is a FAQ. As early-ish members of the Scout Community, will we get a special heads up or link to put in a reservation at least a little before the wider audience? Like give us a 24 hours head start… and don’t forget Canada. We would be the best brand ambassadors. What do you think? @Jamie@ScoutMotors
Chris and I have discussed this idea. Can't promise this far out, but we're fighting for it. Stay tuned...

Reactions: Rallye and Ecca
Had a friend at Mecum’s auction in Harrisburg, PA this past weekend. Sent me these photos. I seriously thought about it until my wife said no new Scout and then I still thought about it 😀. What a beautiful rig. Kudos to those who restored it.

Attachments

• Scout Mecum 1.jpg
    Scout Mecum 1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Scout Mecum 3.jpg
    Scout Mecum 3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Scout Mecum 2.jpg
    Scout Mecum 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: J. Sweat