Scout Motors Appoints Chief Design Officer

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Chris_Benjamin-Design.jpg

Tysons, Virginia (May 30, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”) announced today that Chris Benjamin has joined the company as Chief Design Officer. With this appointment, Scout Motors accelerates the development of its all-purpose, all-electric truck and SUV, slated for production by the end of 2026. Benjamin will serve as the steward of the iconic Scout design, overseeing interior and exterior design, concept development, user experience, and overall integration of design and technology in Scout Motors products and experiences.

“Chris’ work is prolific. For nearly 25 years he’s brought to life vehicles that stand out on the road,” said Scout Motors CEO and President Scott Keogh. “His thumbprints are all over many of the most beloved off-road vehicles in the market today. I’m confident that Chris will build on that experience as he defines the next chapter of design for Scout and electric utility vehicles.”

After graduating from Detroit’s College for Creative Studies, Benjamin launched his automotive design career by joining the design team at Mercedes-Benz. In succeeding years, Benjamin pushed design and creativity at BMW, Volvo, and Stellantis, spending time in Europe and America. Most recently, Benjamin led interior design at Stellantis North America, including Jeep, Wagoneer, Chrysler, Dodge, and RAM.

“I’ve been fortunate in my career to shape many off-road focused products that appeal to a broad range of Americans,” said Benjamin. “Classic Scout vehicles have always exerted a magnetic pull on me. They created the archetype for the modern SUV in the ‘60s and proved that a daily driver could also be a weekend adventurer. My task now is to balance the iconic design language of the past with all of the innovative possibilities that electrification unlocks. With the base of inspiration that Scout offers, what we’re dreaming up will be beyond special.”

Don't bring the Easter egg gimmick.
I’m not terribly big on those but a lot of people I know with the Broncos and Wranglers seem to really like them. I will say in lieu of eggs I’d rather find things like a multi-tool, bottle opener, a nifty gadget to start a campfire (safety first mind you), removable speaker, or other creative everyday gadgets. Maybe a can opener for when you are camping and forget.
Maybe the Easter eggs is a built-in app that shares information about unique places nearby when you are out exploring the country. It’s a ground up vehicle so why not think outside the box.
Maybe the rear floor cargo top can be removed and flipped over and used to play cornhole or something like that. Nobody else has cool stuff like that

As long as this has good-sized/large physical buttons, a la Wrangler JL, and an intuitive UI, it’ll compete with Wrangler and Bronco sales.

I’ll sell my beloved Wrangler for one, if executed correctly.

Also, I’d like this vehicle to not be large like the Bronco but more similar in size to the Wrangler.

Part of the appeal to the Wrangler is that it’s not a behemoth and is instead quite maneuverable and easy to park, in everyday situations.

So it’s between the new Scout and the next-gen Wranger, for me. Time will tell.

Did Chris have any input or design on the Jeep Recon?
I would think so, he posted this on Instagram back in September of last year. I imagine we'll never know what kind of input it was.

A quick Chris Benjamin AMA or design Q&A would be cool and could give all kinds of other insight into his work in general.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that size-wise it is within the 1" of both the Wrangler and Bronco. Also hope that the towing capacity is better than the Bronco and hopefully a better than decent range.

View attachment 1103

Tysons, Virginia (May 30, 2023) – Scout Motors Inc. (“Scout Motors”) announced today that Chris Benjamin has joined the company as Chief Design Officer. With this appointment, Scout Motors accelerates the development of its all-purpose, all-electric truck and SUV, slated for production by the end of 2026. Benjamin will serve as the steward of the iconic Scout design, overseeing interior and exterior design, concept development, user experience, and overall integration of design and technology in Scout Motors products and experiences.

“Chris’ work is prolific. For nearly 25 years he’s brought to life vehicles that stand out on the road,” said Scout Motors CEO and President Scott Keogh. “His thumbprints are all over many of the most beloved off-road vehicles in the market today. I’m confident that Chris will build on that experience as he defines the next chapter of design for Scout and electric utility vehicles.”

After graduating from Detroit’s College for Creative Studies, Benjamin launched his automotive design career by joining the design team at Mercedes-Benz. In succeeding years, Benjamin pushed design and creativity at BMW, Volvo, and Stellantis, spending time in Europe and America. Most recently, Benjamin led interior design at Stellantis North America, including Jeep, Wagoneer, Chrysler, Dodge, and RAM.

“I’ve been fortunate in my career to shape many off-road focused products that appeal to a broad range of Americans,” said Benjamin. “Classic Scout vehicles have always exerted a magnetic pull on me. They created the archetype for the modern SUV in the ‘60s and proved that a daily driver could also be a weekend adventurer. My task now is to balance the iconic design language of the past with all of the innovative possibilities that electrification unlocks. With the base of inspiration that Scout offers, what we’re dreaming up will be beyond special.”
Congrats, Mr. Benjamin! We are expecting great things from you and the return of the Scout brand!

Reactions: Harris005
View attachment 1103

Have you owned a scout a scout 2 or an IHC Pickup? Have you driven one for a long period of time? If not please do. Current designs are shit.

Coming in hot right out of the gate
Lol. Sorry. Passionate about Scouts. Best turning radious, best axels, fun, strong, and I want to love the new ones. You're more qualified than me and I hope for one that I will purchase. I have a 76 spirit.

Lol. Sorry. Passionate about Scouts. Best turning radious, best axels, fun, strong, and I want to love the new ones. You're more qualified than me and I hope for one that I will purchase. I have a 76 spirit.
Early designs as a whole havent wowed me yet if I’m being honest but at least the cues seem to be there-just need them refined so they end up looking great rather than generic. I’ll keep saying as far as I’m concerned they could use the original panel shapes ( minus the rust issues) and just shove in the required safety crap and I’d be happy. I too would much rather have ICE or hybrid but knowing there is a hope of having another Scout in my life keeps me excited and hopeful.

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
I think you will all (mostly) be happy with the design direction. It is very much Scout II influenced and it won't be a jelly bean shape so common with other SUV's these days. We are still tweaking, but things are getting very close. As I mentioned in a different topic, the overall design should get locked in sometime in the next couple months.

We're excited. :D

I think you will all (mostly) be happy with the design direction. It is very much Scout II influenced and it won't be a jelly bean shape so common with other SUV's these days. We are still tweaking, but things are getting very close. As I mentioned in a different topic, the overall design should get locked in sometime in the next couple months.

We're excited. :D
Any chance of a tiny detail image? Like a corner, view from below? Something non-descript to get us all guessing 😁

Reactions: Harris005
LOL. Not as soon as we'd all like but we're working on it. 🍻
If you can’t show us anything, maybe you (Jamie) can tell us how the concepts are built. Does the manufacturer make the parts in house or via supplier? Who physically puts the vehicle together? Where will Scout build the concepts?

Reactions: J Alynn