Scout Design Team Feedback V1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Interesting article about VW wanting in on the sales action. Maybe I should start a news article thread.
Curious on people’s thoughts beyond discussions thus far as to whether buying an EV Scout in a VW dealership space appeals to them
I’d rather see smaller, dedicated Scout vehicle experience centers built and then maybe utilize VW for service. Personally, I’ve walked away from two Audi deals over the years from my local VW/Audi dealer. Stove 40 minutes when I finally bought my TT several years back

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/charlie-hall-dealers-want-scout-vehicles-be-our-vw-showrooms

My best times off-road were spent in my '78 Scout II, so I hope this turns out to be a great vehicle. My suggestions:

- Front bumper option that would allow a winch to be hidden
- Air suspension to allow an off-roading option, but also a smooth ride for longer drives
- High end stereo option
- Tailgate that works as seating at a campsite
- Rear wheel steering option for maneuvering in tight spaces
- Option for camera based rear view mirror for vision when the vehicle is packed full along with power folding outside rear view mirrors
- Trailer towing control option
- A rear tow hook
- Leak proof doors for crossing creeks plus a high exhaust option
- Open air options short of removing the roof

Reactions: mwmassie
My best times off-road were spent in my '78 Scout II, so I hope this turns out to be a great vehicle. My suggestions:

- Front bumper option that would allow a winch to be hidden
- Air suspension to allow an off-roading option, but also a smooth ride for longer drives
- High end stereo option
- Tailgate that works as seating at a campsite
- Rear wheel steering option for maneuvering in tight spaces
- Option for camera based rear view mirror for vision when the vehicle is packed full along with power folding outside rear view mirrors
- Trailer towing control option
- A rear tow hook
- Leak proof doors for crossing creeks plus a high exhaust option
- Open air options short of removing the roof
All great stuff! No exhaust necessary 😊

Oops! That's right!
That a pretty cool thing about EVs. Everything can get pretty sealed up and watertight. Elon suggested a Tesla could operate under water! The Rivian has very impressive fording capability. Like 43 inches.

Reactions: J Alynn
Interesting article about VW wanting in on the sales action. Maybe I should start a news article thread.
Curious on people’s thoughts beyond discussions thus far as to whether buying an EV Scout in a VW dealership space appeals to them
I’d rather see smaller, dedicated Scout vehicle experience centers built and then maybe utilize VW for service. Personally, I’ve walked away from two Audi deals over the years from my local VW/Audi dealer. Stove 40 minutes when I finally bought my TT several years back

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/charlie-hall-dealers-want-scout-vehicles-be-our-vw-showrooms
Keep them separate! Ok with service being through VW to reduce start up cost. Really hoping the Scout dealership is unique and outside the box[y SUV Scout]

The problem with a dealership model, is that you are going to be dealing with a dealership. There is a BIG plus side for buying direct, unless you really enjoy wasting hours and hours haggling and negotiating. Obviously, the dealership advantage is the support and service network that comes with the purchase. But dealerships are not currently built, structured or incentivized to support vehicles they didn't sell. Perhaps VW and Scout could set a new precedent for a hybrid model, whereby every vehicle is sold online, then delivered to the customer at their local SC, then fully supported by the SC that does some sort of white glove delivery and test drive. The service network that Rivian has built still can't effectively cover all customer deliveries - they are just too many hundreds of miles away from their customers, so service either becomes a major hassle for the owner, or super expensive for Rivian. I have to admit that I have had a Rivian mobile service visit at my house for an issue with my gear tunnel latch, and it was awesome. But as an owner (and a shareholder) I also know that service is super expensive for the business. With any new vehicle launch, you cannot underestimate the value of good service. To their credit, Rivian service (at least based out of their BOS location) has been top notch. Ultimately, a hybrid model with VW could always be transitioned to a full Scout support model, as SC's are built out

The problem with a dealership model, is that you are going to be dealing with a dealership. There is a BIG plus side for buying direct, unless you really enjoy wasting hours and hours haggling and negotiating. Obviously, the dealership advantage is the support and service network that comes with the purchase. But dealerships are not currently built, structured or incentivized to support vehicles they didn't sell. Perhaps VW and Scout could set a new precedent for a hybrid model, whereby every vehicle is sold online, then delivered to the customer at their local SC, then fully supported by the SC that does some sort of white glove delivery and test drive. The service network that Rivian has built still can't effectively cover all customer deliveries - they are just too many hundreds of miles away from their customers, so service either becomes a major hassle for the owner, or super expensive for Rivian. I have to admit that I have had a Rivian mobile service visit at my house for an issue with my gear tunnel latch, and it was awesome. But as an owner (and a shareholder) I also know that service is super expensive for the business. With any new vehicle launch, you cannot underestimate the value of good service. To their credit, Rivian service (at least based out of their BOS location) has been top notch. Ultimately, a hybrid model with VW could always be transitioned to a full Scout support model, as SC's are built out
Agree, hence the reason I suggested an experience center rather than a dealership. I am probably one of the few here who will say 90% of my buying experiences have been great. Over roughly 30 years my immediate family has probably had roughly 16-18 purchase/lease transactions with various dealerships. Granted I did walk away from several deals over the years but once I committed to buying the experiences were good or better (many great). Knowing some states can’t sell direct to buyer there needs to be a hybrid style system or you start dealing with buying out of state, transfers, tax complexities and things that may turn buyers off. I’m not thinking a Scout dealership every 15-20 miles like Ford and Chevy but based on some early conversations a bunch of us had (forget what thread-maybe “dealerships are dying”) they are spaced strategically. Just outside of metro areas in suburbia/rural locations and it becomes an experience rather than a “root canal appointment”. We’ve also suggested charging stations integrated so that there are other reasons to visit. I’m wrapping up some concept ideas architecturally to throw at Jamie and Chris this weekend-just for fun. I don’t see full blown dealerships being necessary but I don’t like the idea of at home service. It becomes like waiting around for the cable guy/girl or giving someone I don’t know access to portions of my house/property.
I’m thinking something in the lines of modular and possibly mobile which also would allow for Scout gathering functions.
I think my concern is I don’t want a Born in the USA vehicle being delivered to my ultra-German modern/cold dealership who sells high end VW’s and Audis. Just doesn’t support the brand that I think Scout Motors wants to become. I also dislike the idea if I roll in to look at a Scout the VW dealer tries selling me an Atlas because they need to make monthly sales quota. In an ideal world would be great if demand was so strong they could keep one physical demo and then you custom order. Knowing everyone on here wants customization why not sell/advertise that way, just like the old Ad that’s on the forum somewhere that states “everyone we build seems to be different”(paraphrasing)

Reactions: Harris005 and R1TVT
1. As many have mentioned already, both a hard and soft top option. Ensure the hard top has some integrated, but hidden (maybe fold-down) hooks so you can hoist off without needing to get between the top and the body to take on/off
2. I know this is probably obvious, but a swing down lift gate, NOT a door
3. Full size spare with swing away carrier
4. Larger, stock wheel like the Bronco but without the extended fender flares
5. Built-in pump
6. Go wood and steel/aluminum in the cockpit. Try to avoid the cheap plastic look/feel of the Bronco
7. 4-door model
8. Tow receiver standard
9. Electrical outlets
10. More knobs and switches than a single panel like in many of the electric vehicles today
11. Round headlights with square bezels
12. Make sure the soft top actually folds down without sticking up
13. I realize this one is going to be controversial but a limited roll cage. I am not asking to forfeit safety, just go with a minimalist look
14. Reverse open hood like the original

I could literally keep going and going. More than anything, this truck should look like the original Scout II. I would be pretty disappointed to see something too futuristic.

1. As many have mentioned already, both a hard and soft top option. Ensure the hard top has some integrated, but hidden (maybe fold-down) hooks so you can hoist off without needing to get between the top and the body to take on/off
2. I know this is probably obvious, but a swing down lift gate, NOT a door
3. Full size spare with swing away carrier
4. Larger, stock wheel like the Bronco but without the extended fender flares
5. Built-in pump
6. Go wood and steel/aluminum in the cockpit. Try to avoid the cheap plastic look/feel of the Bronco
7. 4-door model
8. Tow receiver standard
9. Electrical outlets
10. More knobs and switches than a single panel like in many of the electric vehicles today
11. Round headlights with square bezels
12. Make sure the soft top actually folds down without sticking up
13. I realize this one is going to be controversial but a limited roll cage. I am not asking to forfeit safety, just go with a minimalist look
14. Reverse open hood like the original

I could literally keep going and going. More than anything, this truck should look like the original Scout II. I would be pretty disappointed to see something too futuristic.
Welcome to the playground

Reactions: Dollydreamers

I’ve had no problems with overheating.

Lockouts as in electronic locking differentials. Rivian has 885 horse and tons of torque, but has no way to send power to the only wheel that has traction. It’s kind of an oversight.
This I didn't know... huge oversight.

This I didn't know... huge oversight.
I'm not so sure... What percentage of R1T drivers have found themselves in a position where they need to send 830HP to one wheel of the truck? I would venture to guess that it is pretty small, and that is a ton of HP, but in my case, I didn't buy my R1T for specifically for Rock Crawling. I'm also not sure what the reference is to over-heating is. That is new to me. For the majority of its customer base, the R1T provides incredible performance & capabilities both on and off-road. For the hardest-core, gnarliest rock crawling that I have seen (whether in a Jeep or Bronco or whatever) the vehicle has undergone deep modifications to its suspension, wheels, tires, even body panels, bumpers, sliders, etc. The R1T smallest wheel size is 20", and no bead-locks. It also has air suspension, which puts it at a disadvantage vs. solid axle / full articulation with a ruggedized / coil-over suspension (for example) if navigating a mine-field of boulders.

If modification is what people want out of the new Scout, then this is where Scout can create additional differentiation for sure. BUT! There will be big trade-offs. More weight, more rotational mass with bigger tires, more wind resistance at a higher stance, less aerodynamic efficiency with accessories, etc. - that all equals a big penalty, and range will be significantly & negatively impacted. With mods, the burden and penalty hits are absorbed by the owner, so perhaps this is all fine. I do think that the Rivian design was intentionally set to reduce the ability for customers to make these types of modifications easily. Perhaps to prevent blow-back on anecdotal efficiency hits or negative customer stories. In reality, a tricked out ICE mudchucking rock crawler is going to take the same penalty. Its just easier to carry extra jugs of gas right now.

Reactions: Harris005
I’ve had no problems with overheating.

Lockouts as in electronic locking differentials. Rivian has 885 horse and tons of torque, but has no way to send power to the only wheel that has traction. It’s kind of an oversight.

The Rivian has motors at all four wheels though, correct? So if it can't send power to the only wheel that has traction that would seem to be a software issue that they can resolve.

View attachment 640
SUV Version:
  1. Removable hardtop, with softtop option
  2. Getting the front end right - giving buyer options for personal preference
  3. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo = (y)/ Bronco Sport style = (n))
  4. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
    1. Retro vibe achieved through buttons and knobs
    2. 2026 tech shines through touchscreen and Scout app
  5. Wiring harness built and installed with future Scout Store plug and play add ons in mind
  6. Tailgate - drop down (spare tire under rear floor or under frunk floor)
  7. Doors - easily removable with SSII easy install inserts and soft door option
  8. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  9. Agressive looking bumpers and running boards, with option to bolt on aftermarket metal style at the factory or at home later. Not sure the moms/wives would dig aftermarket metal look from the factory.
  10. Storage compartments where ever possible and built in cooler in one of them.

View attachment 641
Truck Version:
  1. Full Size, with decent tow ratings
  2. Back seats have excessive leg room (our family chooses my Chevy Silverado over wifes Nissan Murano SUV for road trips because of the roomy feel)
  3. Creative bed storage to allow us to do away with need for tool box
  4. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo looking good)
  5. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
    1. Retro vibe achieved through buttons and knobs
    2. 2026 tech shines through touchscreen and Scout app
  6. Comfortable back seats (seems to be neglected in trucks from time to time) with storage areas undernieth
  7. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  8. Built in cooler in frunk, or sides of bed
  9. Removale hardtop with softop option could be fun
  10. Actually had a hard time writting in Front End design with the truck model. If it was to be a full size, would the same front end from the SUV work with it being a little wider 🤔
**might add: breaking a few of these topics down into their own "Top Ten" might be interesting. Drilling down into the Dash, including a buttons and knobs wishlist for example.
Spot on, but am I the only one who doesn’t want a removable top? Needs to to tow and less reliance on touch/screen controls.

Reactions: Harris005
Two items I forgot to mention in my design wish-list, and they are big ones.
1. Easily removable batteries. By 2026 and beyond I believe the expectation is that battery swapping stations will be a reality, or close to it. Think of gas stations for batteries where you can pull in and get your batteries swapped.
2. There are companies currently building rechargeable road surfaces so you don't need to plug in your vehicles. We are a long way off from this being highly ubiquitous but having a wireless capable pickup along the bottom of the chassis may be a prescient component to incorporate.