Scout Design Team Feedback V1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
SUV-
1- Solid roof, not removable, no glass, w/ anchor points for a rack
2- "Invisible" rear doors to give 2-door appearance
3- Full-size matching spare on rear
4- Clean, boxy design with good rear visibility, bright colors and a white roof
5- Traditional suspension, adjustable shocks, easy to upgrade/swap
6- Stout 12V system capable of running a winch w/ enough stepped-down power from the main battery to handle this.
7- Detachable bumpers, easy to upgrade
8- Wheel wells accommodating of larger tires
9- NO TOUCH SCREENS inside. Screw the trends, go with safety. Mazda is one of the few that gets this.
10- Easily washable, rugged interior

Bonus Points- Something akin to a manual transmission (or something) to make the drive more involved than every other appliance on wheels.

From what I have seen, the new Scout is looking to be a very genuine product for genuine people. That makes me think about longevity in an EV. Some things that come to mind:
  • Enough CPU/GPU/RAM/Disc to handle software releases into the future
  • The retirement of 3G for early Tesla adopters for example is a pain-point. A design that does not create a large cost barrier to SIM/modem replacement would be something to consider for the future.
  • A key fob, even if you do phone-based access. It helps with practicality for people who are not the daily driver, and it helps mitigate unknowns in the future.
  • This is a little bit "inside baseball" but for a net new vehicle, I presume a single platform for SOTA/FOTA updates would be ideal (over the air updates at different levels of the software stack).

On the practicality side:
  • Mobile App and scheduled-based cabin & battery preconditioning
  • Need to be able to get into and operate the vehicle with winter gloves on.
On the personal preference side:
  • For the interior options, I would like a bare-bones "get it dirty and hose it out" version that is aggressive in price (meaning not the leather/luxe option). My question is: Can reasonably priced interior materials can be selected that do not necessarily require the look and feel of a padded toilet seat? ala my Tesla Model 3?

I’d like to see:

1. It not get embarrassed by Broncos and Jeeps.
2. A focus on durability.
3. Innovation where the platform allows for improvement but otherwise kept simple. The ‘bring the frunk but not the yoke’ doctrine.
4. A speed limited off-road mode that lets the driver have as much control over driving dynamics as possible and not have to battle an algorithm.
5. Manual door handles.
6. A full size spare.
7. A underbody Shield option.
8. V2H/V2L
9. It to allow the driver to see as much info as they would like (state of charge, battery temps, motor temps, etc).
10. Some smaller diameter wheel options that allow for more sidewall.
11. A 3PMS AT tire option.

Last edited:
I was around back in the day when the Scouts were being produced.
Always thought that they were more modern or timely, design wise, then the other stuff out there.
Your concepts look to be spot on, with the short greenhouse. Look how popular the new Bronco, full size, is with the school bus size greenhouse.
My only input would be a non plugin hybrid, AND a camera for the pickup bed, so you can see what's going on back there. This was sorely missed on the Santa Cruz I recently had.

Scout concept
I’m liking this. Rear Character window, white top and taillight shape-looks good. As much as I like the rear tire mount I know a tailgate is better and your rear elements and proportions look REALLY good.
Still hoping for a bit of square and round at the front end. Everyone’s fronts are just feeling too Wrangler/Bronco. In my head I just can’t figure out how to solve that design element. Hopefully Scout team gets it right. Maybe a close up sneak peek could be arranged Jamie?
Kudos for the yellow-that was the color of my scout

Reactions: Dollydreamers
I’m liking this. Rear Character window, white top and taillight shape-looks good. As much as I like the rear tire mount I know a tailgate is better and your rear elements and proportions look REALLY good.
Still hoping for a bit of square and round at the front end. Everyone’s fronts are just feeling too Wrangler/Bronco. In my head I just can’t figure out how to solve that design element. Hopefully Scout team gets it right. Maybe a close up sneak peek could be arranged Jamie?
Kudos for the yellow-that was the color of my scout
The problem is that the Bronco and Scout were quite similar, design wise. I imagine this is why the Scout II was just a tiny bit bigger. That's the reason I like the II better though. Small enough for tight trail running, but big enough for a family and gear.

Last edited:
  1. Online ordering with local service support - I HATE dealer gouging going unchecked
  2. Decent sized - Think Bronco-sized (versus Bronco Sport)
  3. 2 Door Option - possibly removable?
  4. Removable Hardtop
  5. RANGE - 350 miles+ or options for longer range models
  6. Flat Towable for those of us with motorcoaches (possible charge while towing - you'd be unique and likely sell a lot more, if so)
  7. Decent sized inverter and 120v outlets
  8. Non-crappy UI on BIG screen
  9. Strongly off-road capable, but still decent on the street - I drive a Bronco today, and it hits on this point very well
  10. Package that includes more off-road capabilities - suspension, H-L range, possible locking diffs
  11. Retro styling queues - saw others recommend keeping the rear window kink - AGREE
  12. Tow hooks
  13. Matching spare tire/wheel

I was curious when these ideas will be given to the design team and if we might hear what their initial ideas/thoughts about our ideas are.....like feedback to the feedback?

Various specific members of the team here have been watching this from the beginning. We also took all the suggestions and put them in a spreadsheet which went to the whole core team last week. There are a lot of good suggestions that multiple teams need to be aware of. Most of them were already on the radar and/or validate things we were already planning to do.

Keep the suggestions coming!

So my top 10 will be slightly different me thinks as I currently own a Rivian R1T with 21s

1. Tire and wheel options that have multiple ev specific tires. Nokian has done a good job of building truck tires. But if you have Rivian 21 have to stick with Pirelli or size down to non ev and no a/t tires to fit it.

2. Actual range 335-350 range with 800v charging for reliable fast charging

3 appropriate sized brakes along with the regen. Give 3 levels of regen braking

4. CarPlay/android auto

5 lockouts lockout lockout

6 multiple driving modes, Rivian has a ton and they work great, but needs lockers electronically abled

7 frunk easy access to enter things into frunk

8 bi directional charging

9 hard buttons for sliders of venting wife’s hates the digital slider

10 more than one key fob for the vehicle

If you have any questions reach out. Love my Rivian and few things would cause me to leave it. But scout suv with killer range 350-400 would make us get rid of our ice.

I'd add proper inverters and inverter cooling to make sure they don't overheat like it seems they do in rivians.

What does this mean?
I’ve had no problems with overheating.

Lockouts as in electronic locking differentials. Rivian has 885 horse and tons of torque, but has no way to send power to the only wheel that has traction. It’s kind of an oversight.