Scout Design Team Feedback V1

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Hello Scouts,

Our design team is looking for feedback. We have a list of the common things we've seen in the forums repeatedly, but thought it might be helpful to ask everyone here for a list of your top ten must-have features from a design standpoint (not technical specs - assume we will get the AWD system right). These would include things like exterior modularity for headlamp replacements, grill options, lighting options, roof options, modular bumpers, etc., etc. Interior items can be both convenience features and design features (tactile switches/knobs for HVAC or blank switches for accessories for example).

So a numbered list would be great, and please limit it to your top ten to make it easy to parse through—no long paragraphs. :D

Thanks all!

- Jamie

Last edited:
I know my perspective is very different but these are my preferences:

1. Heat pump for HVAC
2. Removable roof (hard or soft options)
3. Exterior button for easy frunk access
4. Durable Interior Fabrics / materials
5. 60s style grill/headlight layout
6. Door handles with mechanical back up
7. Multiple cameras for Off roading and 360 views, with dash-cam/sentry/gear guard functionality.
8. Include a spare tire
9. Simple charge port door (no complicated motors)
10. Simple Dashboard/center console. (minimalist with a small handful of physical buttons)

1. Removable top
  2. Removable doors w/ body mounted mirrors
  3. 2 door version at some point
  4. No circle headlights, too common and will be dated fast
  5. Rock & other aux lighting options
  6. Water resistant interior and electronics
  7. Drop down or "barn door" tailgate
  8. True offroad package that meets or exceeds the Rubicon
  9. Tow capacity for a typical camper
  10. Tons of add ons available from the factory. Roof tent, racks, steel rocker and bumpers, first aid kits etc. In general the ability to go from the showroom to the Rubicon.
  11. Look something like this sketch I drew today when I should have been working on my scouts.

scout~2.png

1- soft top and removable hard top with pop out panels
2-adjustable warm and cool LED headlights, full round with square DRL or something to distinguish from Bronco and Wrangler
3-the rear window kink-wasn’t every model but it was a signature style piece
4-tactile knobs and controls for all daily use conveniences
5- rear lift hatch with drop tailgate
6-modular grills with ordering flexibility
7-heritage seats and interior with real materials
8-target fully charged range of 300 miles
9-top quality electronics and communication systems
10-hidden rear doors so it has the size and capacity of 4-door/seat and storage but visual look of a two-door.
I’ll probably never off road so AWD is a must but logging trail worthy is all I need

Since you said today and there's only a few responses, I'll toss in some more thoughts.

1. Ability to be serviced and upgraded with tools available to skilled enthusiasts.
  2. Think about aftermarket possibly throughout. Make it reasonable to customize, lift and add strength to the drivetrain.
  3. Mounting points for cameras and Accessories
  4. Aux switch panels on off road leaning option packages
  5. Exchangeable battery pack and/or ability to charge while off road. A real bonus if it could run while charging from a user provided generator.
  6. Wing vent windows, I really miss those
  7. No fake engine noise like Ford puts in some of their models. At least put it on a switch
  8. Power out for factory and aftermarket accessories
  9. Keep those hood details from the teaser.
  10. Have you heard removable roof enough yet? 🤣 I have to think you want to use the forum's censoring ability to change "removable roof" to "we know already!"
  11. Flat floors, lots of dry storage and maybe even fold flat seats for overnights.

1. Removable top
  2. Removable doors w/ body mounted mirrors
  3. 2 door version at some point
  4. No circle headlights, too common and will be dated fast
  5. Rock & other aux lighting options
  6. Water resistant interior and electronics
  7. Drop down or "barn door" tailgate
  8. True offroad package that meets or exceeds the Rubicon
  9. Tow capacity for a typical camper
  10. Tons of add ons available from the factory. Roof tent, racks, steel rocker and bumpers, first aid kits etc. In general the ability to go from the showroom to the Rubicon.
  11. Look something like this sketch I drew today when I should have been working on my scouts.

View attachment 638
Member renders are getting better every time

suv.jpg
SUV Version:
  1. Removable hardtop, with softtop option
  2. Getting the front end right - giving buyer options for personal preference
  3. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo = (y)/ Bronco Sport style = (n))
  4. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
    1. Retro vibe achieved through buttons and knobs
    2. 2026 tech shines through touchscreen and Scout app
  5. Wiring harness built and installed with future Scout Store plug and play add ons in mind
  6. Tailgate - drop down (spare tire under rear floor or under frunk floor)
  7. Doors - easily removable with SSII easy install inserts and soft door option
  8. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  9. Agressive looking bumpers and running boards, with option to bolt on aftermarket metal style at the factory or at home later. Not sure the moms/wives would dig aftermarket metal look from the factory.
  10. Storage compartments where ever possible and built in cooler in one of them.

truck.jpg
Truck Version:
  1. Full Size, with decent tow ratings
  2. Back seats have excessive leg room (our family chooses my Chevy Silverado over wifes Nissan Murano SUV for road trips because of the roomy feel)
  3. Creative bed storage to allow us to do away with need for tool box
  4. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo looking good)
  5. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
  6. Comfortable back seats (seems to be neglected in trucks from time to time) with storage areas undernieth
  7. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  8. Built in cooler in frunk, or sides of bed
  9. Removale hardtop with softop option could be fun
  10. Actually had a hard time writting in Front End design with the truck model. If it was to be a full size, would the same front end from the SUV work with it being a little wider 🤔
**might add: breaking a few of these topics down into their own "Top Ten" might be interesting. Drilling down into the Dash, including a buttons and knobs wishlist for example.

View attachment 640
SUV Version:
  1. Removable hardtop, with softtop option
  2. Getting the front end right - giving buyer options for personal preference
  3. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo = (y)/ Bronco Sport style = (n))
  4. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
  5. Wiring harness built and installed with future Scout Store plug and play add ons in mind
  6. Tailgate - drop down (spare tire under rear floor or under frunk floor)
  7. Doors - easily removable with SSII easy install inserts and soft door option
  8. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  9. Agressive looking bumpers and running boards, with option to bolt on aftermarket metal style at the factory or at home later. Not sure the moms/wives would dig aftermarket metal look from the factory.
  10. Storage compartments where ever possible and built in cooler in one of them.

View attachment 641
Truck Version:
  1. Full Size, with decent tow ratings
  2. Back seats have excessive leg room (our family chooses my Chevy Silverado over wifes Nissan Murano SUV for road trips because of the roomy feel)
  3. Creative bed storage to allow us to do away with need for tool box
  4. Stance - aggressive, larger wheel and tire (not highway howlers) package (First Design thread teaser photo looking good)
  5. Dash - Retro gauge cluster with balance between buttons and 12" touchscreen (on all models) interaction. (new Bronco nailed it / Tesla = :sleep:)
  6. Comfortable back seats (seems to be neglected in trucks from time to time) with storage areas undernieth
  7. Simplistic theme throughout all models - buyer has options to select upgrades (at factory or at home later) to make it their own rig.
  8. Built in cooler in frunk, or sides of bed
  9. Removale hardtop with softop option could be fun
  10. Actually had a hard time writting in Front End design with the truck model. If it was to be a full size, would the same front end from the SUV work with it being a little wider 🤔
**might add: breaking a few of these topics down into their own "Top Ten" might be interesting. Drilling down into the Dash, including a buttons and knobs wishlist for example.
I’m gonna say NAILED IT
I should’ve waited to post mine until after yours. Would’ve saved a lot of typing 😀

Not necessarily top 10 but items I haven’t noticed so far in a lot of these threads.
  • Lifting points on the removable top designed to attach easily to an overhead hoist, thus eliminating the need for elaborate set-ups which most people don’t have. Also, can I find a way for that to be a quick release rather than undoing a dozen bolts?
  • Ability to disengage, front motors, effectively allowing a 2 Wheel Drive mode. Purpose being to allow for further range from the batteries. I’m not sure if that will actually work, but if so, might help with range anxiety..
  • Look at the newly announced ram ev truck, having a led lighted scout logo on the grill could serve as an interesting daytime driving light, and also their slick tailgate would be good on the pick up. It expands the truck bed for extremely long items.
  • Pre-wired switches or knobs for powering and/or controlling add-on accessories
  • An led scout logo could also be on the tailgate to serve as a brake light
  • For the SUV I would like to see a rear window wiper, but at minimum at least the defroster in both the SUV and the truck
  • Simulate the original gauges of the scout in an LCD. Elongated and narrow. The oil pressure and temperature gauges can be replaced by inclinometer and altitude readings. As someone else has mentioned, they should be easily visible, not hidden behind the steering wheel.
  • Rain, sensing wipers, or at least intermittent wipers. The original Scout’s were very poor.
  • Can we do a convex/panoramic rearview mirror so that it covers all the blind spots?
  • Definitely is it a GPS system With a possible ability to download trail maps as well for those folks going off road
  • At least one110 V access point in the SUV bed and one on either side of the bed in the pick up. Also the ability for two-way charging and at least 800 kW charging.
  • The one accessory that would be useful is a custom-made cover that actually fits and protects the vehicle.
By the way, I like the look of this front end rendering
1673581511180.png

1- Air suspension
2- heated/cooled/massage seats
3- two tone paint with white top
4- excellent rust proofing
5- semi autonomous driver assist
6- excellent voice control
7- real door handles
8- sensible mix of physical controls vs screen controls
9- phone as key with precondition, charge, etc functions
10- split tail gate like scout ii

What I'm looking for is for the new Scout to be much like my Crocs. I have a pair of Crocs that have served me well, when they were new I'd wear them out, not so much now as they have been around the house with building projects that show wear and paint. However they're still versatile. I've worn them running, hiking, when I goto the beach and lake, and are comfortable around the house. As much as my wife threatens to toss them out they're apart of who I am now. I want that in the Scout.

I know everyone is not a fan, but we see that Crocs have a wide range of demographic fans from young to old, male to female and so on. Crocs make wide range of styles and selections, I think Scout should do that too! Have modularity and allow people to showcase their identity through what they drive.

Anything less is just a shoe!

1- Air suspension
2- heated/cooled/massage seats
3- two tone paint with white top
4- excellent rust proofing
5- semi autonomous driver assist
6- excellent voice control
7- real door handles
8- sensible mix of physical controls vs screen controls
9- phone as key with precondition, charge, etc functions
10- split tail gate like scout ii
Been waiting for a Scout owner to point out "excellent rust proofing" :ROFLMAO: ......a must!

I waited to reply until I could get my list in order:

1. Removable top. Ideally like the Bronco where one can take just the front drivers off, or front passengers, or the rear passengers, all while maintaining the rear compartment enclosed.
2. FUN Colors
3. Analog and/mix of touchscreen controls.
4. Power inverter. Being able to plug in 110v front or back is extremely nice to have nowadays.
5. Onboard off-road navigation WITH vehicle information all on one screen, ideally a screen for co-pilot duties to make them feel integrated and a part of the experience.
6. Rear, classic Scout II hatch with tailgate and upper glass.
7. Modular bumpers both tough and able to immediately mount winches/lights.
8. Swappable front grills.
9. Blocky design. It's a stable of the Scouts.
10. Daily, toned down version AND lifted, super off-road version.

I waited to reply until I could get my list in order:

1. Removable top. Ideally like the Bronco where one can take just the front drivers off, or front passengers, or the rear passengers, all while maintaining the rear compartment enclosed.
2. FUN Colors
3. Analog and/mix of touchscreen controls.
4. Power inverter. Being able to plug in 110v front or back is extremely nice to have nowadays.
5. Onboard off-road navigation WITH vehicle information all on one screen, ideally a screen for co-pilot duties to make them feel integrated and a part of the experience.
6. Rear, classic Scout II hatch with tailgate and upper glass.
7. Modular bumpers both tough and able to immediately mount winches/lights.
8. Swappable front grills.
9. Blocky design. It's a stable of the Scouts.
10. Daily, toned down version AND lifted, super off-road version.
I’d add a luxury version as well. Even if just great quality leather, real wood and metal and maybe some misc power features. Not too crazy. I haven’t decided if my Scout will be my daily or fun vehicle yet so having a handful of upscale features would be nice if I go daily with it. My TLX type S might not be the premier sport sedan but I enjoy it a lot as daily/performance fun factor and want to hold onto it as long as some folks on here have held onto their Scouts. At least until all the gas pumps disappear someday and the ICE becomes null and void 😀

1. Boxy and edgy design like the first design sketches
2. Round Headlights (not square)
3. Square and simple dashboard with few physical knobs or buttons and a long horizontal digital dash
4. classic style fabrics for the seats
5. Something like a luxury well equipped and comfortable edition despite it is a rugged and capable SUV - something like a MIDAS edition or CVI
6. Turbine styled wheels
7. An „International“ heritage edition with International emblems and an International grille (maybe as licensed aftermarket parts)
8. Illuminated Scout or International front emblem
9. Bright heritage Colors should be available for the exterior as option
10. Design should fit the common european standards too (hope you bring the Scout over here too!) - Ford now brings the Bronco to europe

Last edited:
1) Removable battery- makes it ageless and unlimited in distance if swappable at dealerships.
2) Round Headlights
3) Removable Hard Top
4) Removable Radio Option
5) Minimal computer
6) Full Size Spare
7) Look as much like a Scout 2 as possible, minus the rust
8) Solar Charging
9) Classic scout Badging Option
10) Bench Seats

1-Variable Ride Hight
2-Front Stabilizer Disconnect
3-Manual gearbox (be the first true ev with a manual gearbox)
4-2&4 Door option
5-Extremely Basic bare bones model(cheap that can be sold to the masses)
6-Removable hard top/soft top
7-Retro-inspired digital Cluster(choose between old clusters or fancy modern one)
8-Waterproof interior
9-flip down tailgate and lift glass
10-minimum 300 mile range

Imo it's goto look more like a scout II. Would love to see some original color options as well.

1. Full size (at least as big as the Scout II).
  2. Three models; 2 door, 4 door, pickup
  3. Removable top(s)
  4. Limit electronics on dash (or make it optional). Mechanical knobs/switches can be operated without looking when you are off-roading. (And electrical malfunctions off road would be disastrous.)
  5. Easy to personalize (winch, luggage rack, etc.).
  6. Storage/storage/storage; in floor/quarterpanels; organized storage in frunk.
  7. 500 mile range.
  8. Adjustable ride height.
  9. Electrical outlets.
  10. Full size spare on swing away mount.