Regenerative Braking and Flat towing, "four-down towing" or "dinghy towing."

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Wanderlust

1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Hello all, as a current owner of the VW ID.4 and a Luxury Motorcoach the idea of towing any EV is currently limited to trailering with the exception of one EV manufacturer, Rivian. Purchasing my first EV came with many questions and reservations, that was 11mo ago, today I am extremely pleased with my 60,000 mile VW ID.4. I drive my EV a lot and I drive with regenerative braking 100% of the time, the Coach utilizes engine braking to save the brake pads, the EV utilizes regenerative braking to recharge the battery and save the brake pads. I can see the day where one would be able to flat tow a EV input the distance of your total trip and as you brake the tow vehicle the EV activates regenerative braking slowing down the tow vehicle and the EV much like the engine brake of today but with one big difference no “waste of moving energy“ you harness the energy as you do with regenerative braking so on short trips the on board systems use more regenerative braking and long-distance trips use less regenerative braking but always giving your EV a full charge at the completion of any trip regardless of the total miles of the destination. All the current talk of using a EV to power a home during a power outage this would be the next logical step. All the needed components are already in place on every current EV the only thing missing is the software to optimize the components merging the EV with the tow vehicle. If the new Scout had this flat-tow recharge capability it would start a cult-like movement much like the loved VW Van. All “Van life“ enthusiast and Motorcoach owners alike that are currently limited to some not all four-wheel-drive vehicles for flat towing capability would love to have a fully charged EV vehicle ready to go when they reach their destination.
Now that would be a clever way to use EV technology !

Hello all, as a current owner of the VW ID.4 and a Luxury Motorcoach the idea of towing any EV is currently limited to trailering with the exception of one EV manufacturer, Rivian. Purchasing my first EV came with many questions and reservations, that was 11mo ago, today I am extremely pleased with my 60,000 mile VW ID.4. I drive my EV a lot and I drive with regenerative braking 100% of the time, the Coach utilizes engine braking to save the brake pads, the EV utilizes regenerative braking to recharge the battery and save the brake pads. I can see the day where one would be able to flat tow a EV input the distance of your total trip and as you brake the tow vehicle the EV activates regenerative braking slowing down the tow vehicle and the EV much like the engine brake of today but with one big difference no “waste of moving energy“ you harness the energy as you do with regenerative braking so on short trips the on board systems use more regenerative braking and long-distance trips use less regenerative braking but always giving your EV a full charge at the completion of any trip regardless of the total miles of the destination. All the current talk of using a EV to power a home during a power outage this would be the next logical step. All the needed components are already in place on every current EV the only thing missing is the software to optimize the components merging the EV with the tow vehicle. If the new Scout had this flat-tow recharge capability it would start a cult-like movement much like the loved VW Van. All “Van life“ enthusiast and Motorcoach owners alike that are currently limited to some not all four-wheel-drive vehicles for flat towing capability would love to have a fully charged EV vehicle ready to go when they reach their destination.
Now that would be a clever way to use EV technology !
What a fantastic idea to use regenerative braking in flat towing behind a motorcoach. Better apply for the patent now if there is not already one! While likely a bit complicated, this is a win, win, win item.

You can tow-charge a multitude of EVs, according to Motortrend:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/how-to-flat-tow-recharge-electric-vehicles/
I think the question might be more along the line of are they designed / approved to be towed long term behind a motorcoach. The article referenced is more of a could you recharge by temporary towing.

From the MotorTrend article

"When discussing flat-tow charging with Darren Palmer, Ford's general manager of battery-electric vehicles, he expressed grave reservations about potential hazards related to tow-strap breakage, tow-vehicle/towed-vehicle collision, and whether the electric vehicle's system would report a fault under towing conditions. He recommended using a tow bar, but nobody recommends flat towing an EV behind an RV (even when shifted to neutral, any permanent-magnet electric motor generates back current that could damage the system), so nobody's going to attach one of those for an emergency flat-tow charge."

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
I think the question might be more along the line of are they designed / approved to be towed long term behind a motorcoach. The article referenced is more of a could you recharge by temporary towing.

From the MotorTrend article

"When discussing flat-tow charging with Darren Palmer, Ford's general manager of battery-electric vehicles, he expressed grave reservations about potential hazards related to tow-strap breakage, tow-vehicle/towed-vehicle collision, and whether the electric vehicle's system would report a fault under towing conditions. He recommended using a tow bar, but nobody recommends flat towing an EV behind an RV (even when shifted to neutral, any permanent-magnet electric motor generates back current that could damage the system), so nobody's going to attach one of those for an emergency flat-tow charge."
This is because permanent magnet motors’ magnetic fields can not be turned off which is another reason switched reluctance motors (SRMs) make a lot of sense for this kind of application as they have no permanent magnets. 3-phase induction motors can work too in regards to flat towing but have many drawbacks as shown below. Permanent magnet motors would need a mechanical solution to disconnect them from the wheels, like the R1T's rear motors.

PM=permanent magnet motor SR=switched reluctance motor
1669055760572.png
PREMIUM EFFICIENCY MOTOR SELECTION AND APPLICATION GUIDE A HANDBOOK FOR INDUSTRY
page 96

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaTire
As an active RVer who currently utilizes a Jeep Rubicon Diesel as a towed vehicle, I would welcome the idea of being able to flat tow an EV (Scout) behind my RV with the ability to arrive at a destination and have a fully charged vehicle to explore in, all the better that the vehicle had off road capabilities. An additional benefit could be realized if I were able to power the RV while boondocking from the towed vehicle. This could dramatically affect the possibilities for RVer's choices in flat towed vehicles, at least I would buy one!

Yes, to this! I've thought the same thing. If flat-tow charging is made possible then someone towing with an RV could recharge their Scout on the way to the next destination! It's brilliant. It would also be great for recovery purposes. If someone could flat-tow you for a few miles that might give you enough charge to make it to a station. They do this in Long Way Up with the prototype R1T trucks. Granted, I understand there are also safety concerns with tow straps breaking and the like.