Realistic range concerns.

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I've owned and driven EVs for the past six years so can shed some light on this and hopefully calm some fears and misconceptions I'm seeing here in the comments from some non-EV owners.

Charging infrastructure is already mostly fine and getting better every day. To find chargers look at an app like PlugShare and you'll see they're pretty much everywhere. You likely don't notice them when you're out in the world and therefore may think they aren't that common but that's because they typically don't have giant signs above them that you can see from a highway like most gas stations do. EV chargers tend to be pretty low-key and unassuming because all the EVs nav systems know where they are as do the apps, they don't need giant lit signs like a gas station does.

Charging time will depend heavily on what battery architecture Scout decides to go with. I strongly recommend that Scout goes with an 800V architecture like Hyundai-Kia EVs have. It makes an enormous difference in charging time. Most EVs are based on 400V packs and can typically charge around 150-170kW. The VW ID4 for example can do 170kW which gives charging times out in the world of around half an hour to 45 mins or so. Pretty reasonable. My 800V Ioniq 5 though is a charging beast. It can really take advantage of 350 kW chargers and as a result my charge stops are typically under 20 mins, usually around 10 to 15 mins (you almost never do the full 10%-80% thing on a road trip in real life, I usually roll in with percents in the teens or twenties which shortens the charge time from the nominal 10-80% in 18 mins thing). The difference between 400V and 800V is huge.

I've owned and driven EVs for the past six years so can shed some light on this and hopefully calm some fears and misconceptions I'm seeing here in the comments from some non-EV owners.

Charging infrastructure is already mostly fine and getting better every day. To find chargers look at an app like PlugShare and you'll see they're pretty much everywhere. You likely don't notice them when you're out in the world and therefore may think they aren't that common but that's because they typically don't have giant signs above them that you can see from a highway like most gas stations do. EV chargers tend to be pretty low-key and unassuming because all the EVs nav systems know where they are as do the apps, they don't need giant lit signs like a gas station does.

Charging time will depend heavily on what battery architecture Scout decides to go with. I strongly recommend that Scout goes with an 800V architecture like Hyundai-Kia EVs have. It makes an enormous difference in charging time. Most EVs are based on 400V packs and can typically charge around 150-170kW. The VW ID4 for example can do 170kW which gives charging times out in the world of around half an hour to 45 mins or so. Pretty reasonable. My 800V Ioniq 5 though is a charging beast. It can really take advantage of 350 kW chargers and as a result my charge stops are typically under 20 mins, usually around 10 to 15 mins (you almost never do the full 10%-80% thing on a road trip in real life, I usually roll in with percents in the teens or twenties which shortens the charge time from the nominal 10-80% in 18 mins thing). The difference between 400V and 800V is huge.
I'll second how great 800-volt architecture is! I went from a Bolt EUV to a Genesis GV60 and the charging stops were 3x faster. Use the restroom and your car is charged! It's amazing.

Agreed with above.

Plus I think what we all forget is that electricity is everywhere already. Yes, there will be infrastructure improvements that are necessary (particularly in some specific states) but it is a lot easier to install charging stations in all sorts of locations versus the red tape and environmental hurdles/permits in building more gas stations.

Agreed with above.

Plus I think what we all forget is that electricity is everywhere already. Yes, there will be infrastructure improvements that are necessary (particularly in some specific states) but it is a lot easier to install charging stations in all sorts of locations versus building more gas stations.
I'm surprised that restaurant chains have not cashed in on being known to have charging stations. Seems like a win win...come in and buy a meal for the traveling family and also make money on the charging station. I'm not an EV owner (projecting to be in 2026 😉), but planning long trips around restaurant sit downs while the EV charges seems to be a no brainer to me.

Reactions: JohnBills
I'm surprised that restaurant chains have not cashed in on being known to have charging stations. Seems like a win win...come in and buy a meal for the traveling family and also make money on the charging station. I'm not an EV owner (projecting to be in 2026 😉), but planning long trips around restaurant sit downs while the EV charges seems to be a no brainer to me.
I agree. I recently read that 7-Eleven is starting their own charging network. Pay to charge and while you have a break, come in and get some snacks. Seems like a good idea.